• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are your opinion on cats/dogs?

• I love my fur babies

• Nah dawg

Results are only viewable after voting.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not talking about a goldfish, but more like a dog/cat which requires a significant amount of attention.

Whenever I talk to people about it, or see people fawn over dogs in the office or in the street I wonder how big is the silent minority of people who don't like pets.
Personally, it's not like I hate them-- but for the most part I don't get a lot of enjoyment from them and the amount of effort you need to put in is waaaaay more than I'd be willing for what you get back.

After looking at the hundredth dating profile with dog pics or saying "don't talk to me if you don't like cats", I wonder if some people (specifically heterosexual males) over-exaggerate their fondness for pets. Or am I the only sour one?

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I didn't as much when I was younger, since I had a pretty active social life and my parents' cats were only used for getting rid of field mice.
It wasn't until I got my own place and friend circles got smaller that I wanted to have a companion. After I got my first dog, there was no going back. I became a big pet person.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I absolutely do not want to be the main caretaker of a pet. So im with you. Its like having a forever baby. I dont mind the person im with wants one, and i can tolerate them. but thats about it.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as I got older and lived with a few, I stopped wanting pets. It's too much work caring for something that's dependent on you. Then you have to clean up after them and make sure they're taken care of if you need to go on a trip. My ex couldn't find someone to look after her dog one when we were supposed to go to a wedding for my uncle. I went and she was pissed.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Have you actually had a pet OP? I use to feel the same way, then my GF wanted a cat, we got one, and my heart grew three sizes. Now about three years later I couldn't imagine not having a pet around the house.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Or am I the only sour one?

Ib47.gif

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love animals in general, but yeah, I wouldn't want to live with one or be responsible for one.

I could probably jibe with a rabbit or something, but even then I don't think I really want to put in the time, energy, and money to make sure it's living its best life.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Have you actually had a pet OP? I use to feel the same way, then my GF wanted a cat, we got one, and my heart grew three sizes. Now about three years later I couldn't imagine not having a pet around the house.
Is there some sort of extended, temporary adoption program for pets? It'd be irresponsible to get a pet just to see if you like it, then have to give it up for adoption.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't really get people's adoration for dogs. They just bark a lot and are in general quite annoying. I'm not completely against pets though, I could maybe see myself liking a cat if it makes less of a fuss and is less noisy than a dog.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I had dogs when I was a younger. Cats when I was a kid.

I don't mind them, but I would never want another one. Unfortunately when my fiance moved in, she brought her dog with her. I can tolerate him perfectly fine, but once he's gone I'm really not open for a new one.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't really get people's adoration for dogs. They just bark a lot and are in general quite annoying. I'm not completely against pets though, I could maybe see myself liking a cat if it makes less of a fuss and is less noisy than a dog.
They're cute and can be super smart. Wouldn't want one but I can appreciate them.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Bad pets are the worst. Good pets with improve your life immeasurably. My wife and I had to say goodbye to our 13 yr old Aussie in August of 2018. It was a devastating experience. We finally just got a new dog a month ago (5 yr old Border Collie who used to belong to my friend's grandfather before he passed recently) and it's been really wonderful having him around.

I'm a cat person and would love to have one, but my wife is violently allergic, so I'm probably never going to have another one.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I love my dog, but yeah they can be a big responsibility and a pain in the ass. Totally worth it though for me. They aren't for everyone and that's ok.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Ok so my wife really wanted a dog and I did not. I like dogs but didn't like the idea of having a dog. The pandemic convinced me to adopt a beautiful 3 year old lab mix. Now I'm more in love with the thing than she is. She's my dog child, I'd die for her lol.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I love animals and pets. My husband and I put our oldest cat to sleep on Sunday and I have cried on and off since then. My husband loves animals too and was devastated he was not able to be at the vet for the last moments of our Darien. We both miss him like crazy. My parents are animal lovers too and have 7 cats, 3 parrots and 1 rabbit.

I would not even consider dating or being with someone who did not love and want pets. I also personally feel people who do not like pets are missing out on one of the best things in life. Yes, they take time and cost money but what they give back is totally worth it.

Almost everyone I know- married, single, gay, straight has and loves having pets. I know very few people with out pets. Sounds like you are the sour one OP.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yes my dog adds some stress having to feed her, walk her, and think about her if I'm out too much of the day. All that said her companionship and presence makes my day so much better.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to give absolutely 0 shits, then i got a pair of cats and now, in complete silence, you can hear me going YOU'RE A KITTY!

Fuckers grow on you.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
When I moved out and was facing a pet-free life (many places don't allow pets), I worried that I'd be deprived. I do like pets, but I have to say having virtually zero responsibilities is pretty sweet, too.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I love pets!

It depends though. I cannot, absolutely cannot stand small dogs. I'm talking poodles, yorkshires. They are annoying, loud and will pee where they stand for no reason at any moment if you even look at them wrong. Worse yet, you can't have them stay outside the house, so you need to constantly look out for poop and urine around the house unless you go through a whole training process to teach it to use a proper carpet thing, assuming you don't do it wrong and it doesn't learn at all.

Small dogs suck.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had a pet since I was ten years old and they were a parakeet so I didn't grow up with your standard cat or dog that you can play with more. I can't think about what my life would be like with them now, but I'm a big softy so I know I'd love them if I got one.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
I have a dog which is nice sometimes but after he dies, I don't ever want another pet for the rest of my life. The less responsibilities in my life the better.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like cats, but dogs are fucking awesome.

It depends though. I cannot, absolutely cannot stand small dogs. I'm talking poodles, yorkshires. They are annoying, loud and will pee where they stand for no reason at any moment if you even look at them wrong. Worse yet, you can't have them stay outside the house, so you need to constantly look out for poop and urine around the house unless you go through a whole training process to teach it to use a proper carpet thing, assuming you don't do it wrong and it doesn't learn at all.

Small dogs suck.

This too. There are some exceptions, but in in general I'm just not a small dog fan either.

I wonder if some people (specifically heterosexual males) over-exaggerate their fondness for pets. Or am I the only sour one?

Heterosexual male here, grew up with dogs (Labs, Australian Shepherds), and I'm significantly happier around them than the few periods of my life where I haven't had one. Pets are awesome. I also don't know why you think heterosexual males would be any different. Guys with dogs have been a cliche for ever.

635494961822000008-BEAGLE-JOHN-WICK-MOV-JY-3400--68084492.JPG

skip1-1526329490.jpg

bf43ea6528d3bd5028b915d5e3ae50f5.jpg
famous-dogs-from-movies-back-to-the-future-einstein-1560360792.png

presidential-pup-header-800x451.jpg
Irish-President.jpg

landing-president-clinton-dogs-pets-b3646475-a242-445b-98c2-e1287401db60.jpg
ac24fe7251c541dd0fd34c64c9c5cf9d.jpg

Last edited:

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I just can't even empathize with people who don't like pets or animals. And if I had to fill out a dating profile that absolutely would be on mine, don't apply if you don't like cats (preferably like all animals but liking cats is an absolute must and I will always be living with a cat and I would not like an SO who didn't like my cat, even if he tolerated it). Good thing I already have a husband :). Who loves my kitties and my dog. Some times more than me.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Wife's been wanting a pet for years and brings it up weekly and shows me "cute pictures" daily. Ain't gonna happen.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I like dogs but wouldn't have one unless I moved out of the city.

I really don't get having dogs in an apartment building in an urban city. You have to take them for a walk every day which sucks during winter or rainy weather and then they're stuck in a tiny apartment most of the day. My friends with dogs in the city make them seem super high maintenance but when I lived in the suburbs as a kid we'd just open a door let the dog run around in the yard. It was still a responsibility but I don't remember it being that time consuming.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I love my pets, but I hate the term "fur baby". I'm obviously ripping this content from when I've seen it elsewhere, but "fur baby" is about as appealing as calling somebody's kid a "skin puppy".

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I wouldn't get my own pet as it looks right now because I live too small and also because I believe that they're too time demanding for one person to be rewarding. Plus that you're kinda forced to be stuck in one place. I don't think that people that obviously don't have time for them should get pets.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I love pets!

Small dogs suck.
Small dogs can be great. A lot of people don't put the time into training them however which it sounds like it's been a lot of your experiences

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Animals are better than people. But it's perfectly valid to not want to take on the responsibility. That's why I've held back.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I love cats and certain dogs(Corgis), but I would never keep one in the house because I hate the maintenance and pet hair everywhere.