• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I guess the issue then becomes who do you replace Chibnall with? There haven't been many DW writers who have stood out, and even less have shown to have experience running a show (*cough* Stephen Moffat *cough*).
They probably have to look around outside their roster. As it stands, this season bled viewers faster than any other, and that falls on the showrunner. Initial viewership was up because, despite some uncertainty, people were generally very enthusiastic about Jodie's Doctor. So he essentially squandered the positive energy going into the season.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
She seems an ok doctor so far, but the writing has been very underwhelming. The lack of an overarching plot hasn't helped either.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
By the way, I think the decision to largely avoid classic villains and monsters was a mistake, since Chibnall lacked the creativity and writing chops to craft compelling new antagonists for the series. Aside from the Dalek in the special, the monsters this season were awful, and I hope none of them ever return.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prefacing this post with the obvious caveat that the RT user score was brigaded, along with the fact that I am and have always been a longtime advocate of a female Doctor and was ecstatic when Jodie Whittaker was cast.

With that being said, here are my issues with series 11:

The scale is too small. Doctor Who is a grand show with an infinite scale, with adventures that can take place anywhere in space and time, with monsters and aliens and weird shit beyond your wildest imagination. But series 11 is just so small. Six episodes, half the season, take place on Earth. Three episodes take place in small spaceship corriders or space stations that effectively resemble Earthlike buildings. And the other two episodes take place on "alien" planets that strongly resemble Earth. Actual aliens are a rare appearance (though there's no shortage of "aliens" that look exactly like human beings). All of these elements are things that have happened in previous Doctor Who seasons from time to time, but never all at the same time, which is what makes it feel so small and boring.

There's too much educational/historical focus. The show is clearly trying to ape the early Hartnell seasons (more on that in a moment) by being more educationally-focused. But, and I hate to say this, but this isn't really what Doctor Who is about anymore. Doctor Who abandoned a historical/educational focus as early as the Pertwee era. For generations of fans, Doctor Who is a big, bombastic sci-fi adventure series. There's nothing wrong with a show that has a more educational focus, and there have been a number of modern Doctor Who episodes with such a focus, but when you decide to essentially rewrite the entire show around an entirely different genre and premise, you can't be surprised when you alienate a significant portion of your audience. I know there was a lot of yearning over the last few years for a "pure historical" episode and I'm glad we got one in the form of Rosa, but we also got a couple more historicals that were more hit or miss. I'm happy they experimented with the format a bit, but maybe now it's time to put the historicals back in the vault.

Too much mimicking classic Who. Look, classic Doctor Who is important and people enjoyed it and it's great, yes. But it's also decades old and it's no longer a part of the modern television environment. Doctor Who was cancelled in 1989 because the format was boring, outdated, and had lost its audience. The modern series became a worldwide phenomenon because it embraced the concepts of peak television: serialized storylines, character development, big budget action and effects (well, bigger than before), and an exciting musical score. Series 11, on the other hand, is clearly an attempt at remaking the show in the mold of the early classic series. There's no serialized storyline, barely any character development, limited action and effects, and the music is dull and quiet. I understand that some people really enjoy this particular format of the show, but perhaps there was a reason Doctor Who abandoned it to begin with.

The Doctor is a side character in her own story. The Thirteenth Doctor is the most passive incarnation we've seen, constantly unsure of herself and needing reinforcement from her companions. She is rarely the star of a given scene, instead delegating important tasks to the companions, and is typically never the person to come up with an exciting idea or interesting twist to defeat the villain. Chibnall, who comes from an ensemble drama background, is very clearly more interested in writing Graham, Ryan, and Yaz than he is in writing the Doctor. Perhaps we shouldn't have hired a Doctor Who showrunner who doesn't find the Doctor to be an interesting character. I'm not calling for a return of the Moffat-era "most important person in the universe" Doctor who is a legendary warrior and badass, but it'd be nice to be occasionally reminded that the Doctor is a cool intelligent alien and not just a regular human woman with a time machine. I don't want to ascribe ill motive to Chibnall, but it's kind of a Bad Look™ when your first female Doctor is passive, submissive, and constantly requiring validation and support from others.

Too many companions. I like Graham, I like Yaz, and I'm okay with Ryan too, but all together they're too many cooks in the kitchen. Graham having a storyline about mourning his wife is great, and Ryan having a storyline about coming to accept Graham is also great, but together it's too much and takes away too much time from the actual show and the Doctor. Yaz, meanwhile, is sidelined for nearly the entire season, as if Chibnall just forgot about her or never decided what her storyline should be. Again, I'm glad the show decided to experiment with the bigger TARDIS team idea from the 70s, but it's another swing and a miss for me and I think we need to retire it. Unfortunately, all three characters are confirmed to be returning in series 12. Now that Graham and Ryan's storylines are done, maybe they can take a backseat, Yaz can have a small storyline, and we can spend the majority of the season focusing on crazy sci-fi storylines instead.

Is this a reboot? Before the New Year's special, you'd be forgiven for thinking they'd rebooted the show. Much like series 1, series 11 contains very few references to any previous incarnation of the Doctor or season of the show. The moment in Kerblam! where the Doctor opens the package she ordered and finds a fez was a breath of fresh air -- hey, that's right, this is actually the same character we knew before! Wow! It seems as though Chibnall and the BBC were either A) so afraid of the backlash to a female Doctor that they decided to just court an entirely new fanbase or B) were so annoyed at the ratings issues and criticisms during Moffat's tenure that they decided to do a hard u-turn and make the show a soft reboot, avoiding any sort of potentially confusing continuity. This is very disappointing because Doctor Who's most unique aspect is its very long, rich history. No other serialized sci-fi show can claim to have 55 years of continuity and storylines from which to draw ideas, characters, and references.

Overall, I think series 11 was ambitious, but tried to stray way too far from the Doctor Who format established by the modern series. Chibnall isn't strong enough as a writer and doesn't appear interested enough in the rich history of the show or its unique format to really take advantage of the showrunner position. Unfortunately, as many people feared, Jodie's first season was heavily undermined by Chibnall's poor writing and producing. With that being said, Resolution was a much better episode than most of series 11 and felt like a return to form for the show, so hopefully that's a good sign that things are improving.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jodie is fine...but she's suppose to be the Doctor but isn't given the chance to shine. Yaz could easily be written out and would not be missed, which truly highlights just how underdeveloped she is as Ryan and Graham clearly have been given more attention.

Then there's the episodes themselves which have been either okay or just misses, the fact that they are self contained doesn't help as the season finale just ended with a dull thud. There're no real stake in the show.

Plus there's the whole "Ew Women and PoC in ma Doctor Who." but those people are idiots and should be ignored.

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the season but only watched the first episode so far as I haven't had time. I thought Jodie was great but my friend told me that she's not really the main focus or the star of the show anymore and that's really preventing me from making time to watch it. Companions are great but I am here for The Doctor. I want her to be front and center.

As for the op I can't take anyone seriously who says capaldi wasn't good he was incredible. His time on the show was under utilized with moffat. Although Heaven Sent is one of the best doctor who episodes ever made.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
The episodes just aren't that good, outside of a couple of the historicals like Rosa and Demons of the Punjab. The New Year's Day special was good too.

It felt like a lot of the episodes had some weird and inconsistent moments of writing for the Doctor. I do think making her overtly compassionate and respectful of others was a good move, especially as a contrast to Capaldi's Doctor, but unfortunately she also really came across as unnecessarily passive.

Yaz was barely a factor in any episode that wasn't directly focused on her family.

Going basically the whole series without bringing back any previous villains was an okay idea, but the problem was that none of them were particularly memorable. "Tim Shaw" in particular is easily the least interesting recurring villain since the show's reboot.

I really wanted to like this season, if only because I knew there were a bunch of sexist assholes on the internet waiting to shit all over it, but overall it was just sort of... flat. There was nothing terribly exciting. It's like it took Doctor Who's highs and lows of episode quality and just decided to be intentionally average at all times.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's just boring. The stories are dull and the characters even more so. Tbh I felt a similar feeling towards capaldi at first but he soon powered through that but the same hasn't happened here. It certainly helped a lot thought that capaldi actually had interesting stories too, not to mention Clara to carry the transition a bit more naturally.

Season 11 was too much of a reset. New Doctor, new companions, new writers and showrunner. There's only been a few occasions where we undergo a full reset of characters and it takes a really long time to build that back up into a 'family'.

We're a season in and it was practically all wasted. We're no closer to it feeling like there's a sense of familiarity to the cast and at best there's maybe 2 more seasons until a new doctor. I just can't see us getting to know these characters as well as others from the past in the time left now.

There's nothing wrong with the cast though. It's all in the writing. They need new writers desperately otherwise the cast is going to remain drab and uninteresting throughout their entire run.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Jodie is a great doctor. Problem is that her character is being held back by some baffling character decisions and some poorly constructed episodes. It was a mistake to shoehorn her with 3 companions (1 of which does absolutely nothing most of the time), and the writing has been subpar. In fact, if Jodie wasn't as good as she is then I probably would've dropped it until some major changes were made.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I fell off on the capaldi season because his alien troupe was like, sonic and friends tier shitty. Saw one of the new season and i liked it, i just havent gone back.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Every character in this series has been fantastic.

I get critiques of the writing and including too much family drama, but the characters have been really good. Jodie is amazing, and the companions just as great.

I really wanted to like Yaz, but she's barely there. The fact she's a cop almost never comes up and half the time she's not even in pivotal scenes.

Rigsy had more of an impact in his two episodes than Yaz has in most of the season, and that's not fair to the actress or the character.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If we can have more historicals like Rosa and Demons of the Punjab I want as many as possible each season.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jodi is good, Ryan and graham are good, I just find the stories dull and uninspired.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to like Yaz, but she's barely there. The fact she's a cop almost never comes up and half the time she's not even in pivotal scenes.

Rigsy had more of an impact in his two episodes than Yaz has in most of the season, and that's not fair to the actress or the character.

Totally agree. They seemed to forget She was a strong ambitious cop and turned her into a wallflower

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Doesn't this season have the highest viewership in the show's history?

I don't know. It is known that Series 11 had consistently higher figures than the equivalent episodes of Series 10. Somebody is doing something right, even though Series 10 itself is excellent.

The seasonal special was alarmingly low on overnight figures. I suspect they need to bring back the Christmas Day special. Apart from that it's been a good series for audiences, and the feedback on Twitter was very good.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Watching it as it release, I did enjoy the this series for what it was, couldn't really understand why either. However over the last couple of weeks I've rewatched the entirety of the Doctor/Rose arc and I think I get it now, a lot of these episodes are fun, full of depth and beautifully written. The latest iteration isn't bad, but it's a shadow of it's former self in my eyes.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
The stories need to get better and once jodie whittaker starts believing she is the doctor and not someone imitating the doctor she will get better.

But it was a dull season, just very boring and I'm hoping it was just a fluke and growing pains and not a long term issue, but they have a year to figure it out so hope they use the time wisely.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's easy to scapegoat this season's flaws on bad reviews from "nerds who hate women and diversity", but the season was just pretty flawed; and I say that as someone who actually really enjoyed the changes that were made.

I like the grounded nature of the stories, not everything is in massive multi episode set up for a disappointing pay off, they're just weird little mysteries that the doctor in their friends go on, but the overarching themes they were going for didn't really stick.

The Doctor was great, but really only in moments so far; I feel like the character isn't into her own just yet, contrast with say 11. 12 stumbled in the first episode right out of the gate, but quickly felt like his own right after. Here so far, an entire series has gone by and this turn doesn't feel wholly distinguished to me. I don't know how much they the actor gets in determining how the doctor will be, but the writing team and Jodie need to collaborate to allow her to really shine more, right now she just seems like an amalgamation of 10, 11, and occasional bits of 12, but she doesn't come across as consistent.

I also liked the 4-person squad in concept, but really the only companion that had consistently good screen presence was Graham- Walsh managed to carry some of the clumsier emotional moments extremely well, which is a testament to how much the writing needs to grow into its own still. Yasmin became a bit more rounded as the episodes went on, but Ryan felt like a character they didn't know how to write, he didn't really seem to grow until all of a sudden at the end, he was pretty much just a pouty cynic the entire time Who seems like he was developing but then would back step the next episode.

As for the stories themselves, I think there were a lot of good premises but a lot of mediocre execution. I still enjoy watching them and as I said I preferred the much more episodic nature of contained stories.

I also liked that it felt more gritty again with some actual stakes, and I think the tone was a lot more consistent and the production values really worked well, but I'm just not sure about the overall direction and guidance of Chibnall. There's just a lot of really lackluster execution in the writing, so hopefully next season he will have found his footing some more.

I do like the fact that the show is not constantly up the Doctors' ass about how amazing they are, and every character isn't bowing down at their feet to want to sex them up, or worship their incredible genius and legacy and discuss how they're the greatest being in the universe. That's what I like so much about the dynamic between Twelve and Clara prior.

On the other hand, this would be a good time to allow the Doctor to have some more conversations and emotion with three other companions to play off of, which would allow them all to achieve a deeper level apart from the Doctors' legacy. I'm just not sure the writing can take it there.

If some of the recent series were Star Wars in terms of fun, light themes and action, this series could be Star Trek in terms of more sporadic action but deeper philosophy or moral questioning and conversation. I might be stretching but it feels like that's kind of what they're trying to do, just not doing it well at all.

Last edited:

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I wanted to like the new season. The idea of a female doctor seemed like a great move for the franchise. At the end of the day, most of the episodes where just not that good (there were about two good ones), and the companions aren't that interesting. Huge bummer for me.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I am a huge Doctor Who fan and at best I liked most of the episodes this season but I found my self losing interest as the season went on. Previous years Doctor Who was appointment television for me. No one can bother me when I'm watching an episode because I don't want to miss any details. I was like that for episode 1 of season 11 but by the time episode 10 rolled around I actually waited three days before I watched it. I wouldn't have believed anyone if they told me I had waited to watch a Doctor Who finale before. I would assume I had been cloned and replaced.

The stories were interesting but I never found them all that exciting. The character development for the three companions was mixed at best. Yaz barely saw any growth throughout the season while Graham and Ryan's biggest development was the latter finally saying "Granddad".

There were no larger than life set pieces. The cinematography was hit or miss and Murray Gold's bombastic anthems were replaced by forgettable background noise.

A lot of Whittaker's one-liners and comedic quips didn't land. That's down to the writing more than Jodie's performance. We know she can perform comedy but it's possible she just didn't know how to work with the material.

There were no intriguing science fiction concepts at play outside of "It Takes You Away". The creature design was uninspired and I was one of the few that actually like Tim Shaw's teeth face.

Actually, uninspired might be the best way to sum up the entire season for me.

That being said, I actually loved the New Year's special. It was an intriguing use of a familiar villain. Probably the first exciting development.

It's a shame the first woman in the role got shit to work with.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
It started high and dropped off more and more over time. The ratings for this year's holiday special were a full million lower than for Capaldi's farewell Christmas special.

The holiday special numbers aside, all soft reboots of Doctor Who drop by about 3 million in viewership. Eccleston, in fact, started higher than Jodie and dropped further too, beginning at 10.91 million and dropping 4 million over the course of his season.

Jodie premiered to 10.53 million viewers, but people immediately began to express their concern when she dropped to 7.76 million. That's less of a drop than the original reboot and still far higher than Capaldi's final run which only average 5.45 million.

I don't know. It is known that Series 11 had consistently higher figures than the equivalent episodes of Series 10. Somebody is doing something right, even though Series 10 itself is excellent.

The seasonal special was alarmingly low on overnight figures. I suspect they need to bring back the Christmas Day special. Apart from that it's been a good series for audiences, and the feedback on Twitter was very good.

I feel like, as unique an idea as the new year special was, the timing wasn't ideal for a lot of people. I'm not sure it's reflective of the overall audience reception, though. Would have been interesting to see how a Christmas special did.

And I'm just not sure, given the viewership numbers, that the season is nearly as divisive as people think.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Prefacing this post with the obvious caveat that the RT user score was brigaded, along with the fact that I am and have always been a longtime advocate of a female Doctor and was ecstatic when Jodie Whittaker was cast.

With that being said, here are my issues with series 11:

The scale is too small. Doctor Who is a grand show with an infinite scale, with adventures that can take place anywhere in space and time, with monsters and aliens and weird shit beyond your wildest imagination. But series 11 is just so small. Six episodes, half the season, take place on Earth. Three episodes take place in small spaceship corriders or space stations that effectively resemble Earthlike buildings. And the other two episodes take place on "alien" planets that strongly resemble Earth. Actual aliens are a rare appearance (though there's no shortage of "aliens" that look exactly like human beings). All of these elements are things that have happened in previous Doctor Who seasons from time to time, but never all at the same time, which is what makes it feel so small and boring.

There's too much educational/historical focus. The show is clearly trying to ape the early Hartnell seasons (more on that in a moment) by being more educationally-focused. But, and I hate to say this, but this isn't really what Doctor Who is about anymore. Doctor Who abandoned a historical/educational focus as early as the Pertwee era. For generations of fans, Doctor Who is a big, bombastic sci-fi adventure series. There's nothing wrong with a show that has a more educational focus, and there have been a number of modern Doctor Who episodes with such a focus, but when you decide to essentially rewrite the entire show around an entirely different genre and premise, you can't be surprised when you alienate a significant portion of your audience. I know there was a lot of yearning over the last few years for a "pure historical" episode and I'm glad we got one in the form of Rosa, but we also got a couple more historicals that were more hit or miss. I'm happy they experimented with the format a bit, but maybe now it's time to put the historicals back in the vault.

Too much mimicking classic Who. Look, classic Doctor Who is important and people enjoyed it and it's great, yes. But it's also decades old and it's no longer a part of the modern television environment. Doctor Who was cancelled in 1989 because the format was boring, outdated, and had lost its audience. The modern series became a worldwide phenomenon because it embraced the concepts of peak television: serialized storylines, character development, big budget action and effects (well, bigger than before), and an exciting musical score. Series 11, on the other hand, is clearly an attempt at remaking the show in the mold of the early classic series. There's no serialized storyline, barely any character development, limited action and effects, and the music is dull and quiet. I understand that some people really enjoy this particular format of the show, but perhaps there was a reason Doctor Who abandoned it to begin with.

The Doctor is a side character in her own story. The Thirteenth Doctor is the most passive incarnation we've seen, constantly unsure of herself and needing reinforcement from her companions. She is rarely the star of a given scene, instead delegating important tasks to the companions, and is typically never the person to come up with an exciting idea or interesting twist to defeat the villain. Chibnall, who comes from an ensemble drama background, is very clearly more interested in writing Graham, Ryan, and Yaz than he is in writing the Doctor. Perhaps we shouldn't have hired a Doctor Who showrunner who doesn't find the Doctor to be an interesting character. I'm not calling for a return of the Moffat-era "most important person in the universe" Doctor who is a legendary warrior and badass, but it'd be nice to be occasionally reminded that the Doctor is a cool intelligent alien and not just a regular human woman with a time machine. I don't want to ascribe ill motive to Chibnall, but it's kind of a Bad Look™ when your first female Doctor is passive, submissive, and constantly requiring validation and support from others.

Too many companions. I like Graham, I like Yaz, and I'm okay with Ryan too, but all together they're too many cooks in the kitchen. Graham having a storyline about mourning his wife is great, and Ryan having a storyline about coming to accept Graham is also great, but together it's too much and takes away too much time from the actual show and the Doctor. Yaz, meanwhile, is sidelined for nearly the entire season, as if Chibnall just forgot about her or never decided what her storyline should be. Again, I'm glad the show decided to experiment with the bigger TARDIS team idea from the 70s, but it's another swing and a miss for me and I think we need to retire it. Unfortunately, all three characters are confirmed to be returning in series 12. Now that Graham and Ryan's storylines are done, maybe they can take a backseat, Yaz can have a small storyline, and we can spend the majority of the season focusing on crazy sci-fi storylines instead.

Is this a reboot? Before the New Year's special, you'd be forgiven for thinking they'd rebooted the show. Much like series 1, series 11 contains very few references to any previous incarnation of the Doctor or season of the show. The moment in Kerblam! where the Doctor opens the package she ordered and finds a fez was a breath of fresh air -- hey, that's right, this is actually the same character we knew before! Wow! It seems as though Chibnall and the BBC were either A) so afraid of the backlash to a female Doctor that they decided to just court an entirely new fanbase or B) were so annoyed at the ratings issues and criticisms during Moffat's tenure that they decided to do a hard u-turn and make the show a soft reboot, avoiding any sort of potentially confusing continuity. This is very disappointing because Doctor Who's most unique aspect is its very long, rich history. No other serialized sci-fi show can claim to have 55 years of continuity and storylines from which to draw ideas, characters, and references.

Overall, I think series 11 was ambitious, but tried to stray way too far from the Doctor Who format established by the modern series. Chibnall isn't strong enough as a writer and doesn't appear interested enough in the rich history of the show or its unique format to really take advantage of the showrunner position. Unfortunately, as many people feared, Jodie's first season was heavily undermined by Chibnall's poor writing and producing. With that being said, Resolution was a much better episode than most of series 11 and felt like a return to form for the show, so hopefully that's a good sign that things are improving.
This is spot on!

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Jodie is great as the Doctor, unfortunately a lot of the episodes this season were not so great.

Tedesco!

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 30, 2017
I love this new Doctor, but found the stories to be dull overall and thought there were too many companions. I would like to see more of a story arc with the next season, and perhaps focus on the adventures of the Doctor and Yaz.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped at the end of Matt Smith's run, and watched a more recent episode with guant spiders.

Maybe I'm just sick of the schtick, but this doctor who was just boring.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I enjoyed the series, but it felt quite detached from previous series. The best and most fun episode was Resolution, because it made multiple mentions to the past. Hell, it was even the best Dalek story in many many years.

I just want more returning enemies, people, mentions of Gallifrey, and mentions of being a Time Lord.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's got women and brown people in it.

This is such a bad take.

The season is mediocre because Chibnall is not a great writer of stories, and his season follows suit. Jodie is great. Graham is one of my favorite companions, period. Ryan and Yas are solid. But the writing does none of them any favors. The stories, generally speaking, feel perfunctory.

There are a few highlights, though. I have hope that they'll be able to improve things next series. The fundamentals (cast, characters, production values) are strong.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
new season was serviceable. not great but not terrible with a few standouts but mostly average eps. Jodie was great, Yas and Graham were good, but Ryan sucked.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I think all my bases have been covered by posters in the thread.

Shame on CC for ruining the first series of the first female Doctor.

CC is a mediocre Sci-fi writer.

ThatGuyfromMars

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked the new series, some of the episodes were drab though, I really disliked Arachnids in the UK and the last two eps, Witchfinders and It Takes You Away. The only real issue I have is that there are a lot of companions, I like all of them enough but they don't really get a chance to develop much, and their issues are tossed aside, but maybe that's just me being too used to Doctor/Companion as it has been for the last 14 years.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
My primary issue was the dry dialogue and occasionally poor story writing.

I liked how this series retired a few well-trodden NUWho themes, i.e. the Doctor is an infallible space angel/Jesus.

It's also nice to have a more socially competent Doctor that wasn't constantly belittling companions. More Troughton-y.
I'm glad 13 has dropped the ANGST that post-Time war Doctors had.

13 is a progression from 12's regeneration promise to be kind and never cruel:
13 is more of a fan of childish fun, considerate of companions, and willing to emotionally engage with pretty much anyone.
13 is also far more explicit about her intentions and doesn't seem to manipulate companions as much as previous regenerations.

Perhaps the series was overly cautious. Some have postulated that the new creative team was worried that it would take longer for viewers to get used to Jodie, and therefore dialled back a lot of ideas.

I don't think there are too many companions, rather they haven't done much with Yaz, to the extent Yaz and Ryan might as well have been combined into a singular character.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I think this is a complicated issue. Honestly, it feels like this is the truth:

• Many of the angry/low user reviews are indeed sexist/racist/whatever idiots angry about the cast and the approach of this iteration of the show
  • However, many people are also genuinely disappointed in the quality of the writing, quality of the stories, a lack of stakes, and a moral compass on the 13th Doctor that often feels contradictory.
  • The thing that's almost universal is the agreement that Jodie is absolutely brilliant.
Jodie stuck the landing. Chibnall did not.

Doesn't this season have the highest viewership in the show's history?

Jodie's debut had the highest ratings for any Doctor debut ever and ratings in the top five for the show since it came back in 2005. It dropped a lot later on, however, and the holiday special was the lowest rated holiday special since 2005. In terms of series average viewing figures, we won't know consolidated figures for a bit yet but it looks like this series will either be second behind Series 4, Tennant's last, or third behind Series 5.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
The stories are just really banal. I enjoyed the season, but it's missing that offbeat sense of whimsy and strange that characterizes NuWho.

Jodie is a fantastic doctor though. Her natural charisma is the main thing carrying this role for her.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
It's got women and brown people in it.
That might be the reason for some people but for many it's probably that it changed so drastically, not just the cast and the Tardis interior, people are used to that but this time the show also completely changed its style.
In some ways this series felt more like early classic Doctor Who than modern Doctor Who, this isn't the doctor being incredibly close his one special companion who he explains the universe to and saves millions of people all the time and all of existence every other year, this is a doctor bumbling around space and time with some friends, encountering smaller scale local problems and having adventures.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That might be the reason for some people but for many it's probably that it changed so drastically, not just the cast and the Tardis interior, people are used to that but this time the show also completely changed its style.
In some ways this series felt more like early classic Doctor Who than modern Doctor Who, this isn't the doctor being incredibly close his one special companion who he explains the universe to and saves millions of people all the time and all of existence every other year, this is a doctor bumbling around space and time with some friends, encountering smaller scale local problems and having adventures.

That isn't even the problem I had with it - I don't mind the smaller scale. But the stories have to be worth telling.

Deleted member 51266

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Only speaking for myself, but Capaldi's last season was so bad it made me drop the entire series by the 3rd episode.

I'm really interested in Thirteen (I thought that your title was referring to the Eleven doctor), but as a completitonist I can't bring myself to watch it until I finish the 10th season...which was just so unwatchable.

Last edited:

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

• Many of the angry/low user reviews are indeed sexist/racist/whatever idiots angry about the cast and the approach of this iteration of the show
  • However, many people are also genuinely disappointed in the quality of the writing, quality of the stories, a lack of stakes, and a moral compass on the 13th Doctor that often feels contradictory.
  • The thing that's almost universal is the agreement that Jodie is absolutely brilliant.

Jodie's debut had the highest ratings for any Doctor debut ever and ratings in the top five for the show since it came back in 2005. It dropped a lot later on, however, and the holiday special was the lowest rated holiday special since 2005. In terms of series average viewing figures, we won't know consolidated figures for a bit yet but it looks like this series will either be second behind Series 4, Tennant's last, or third behind Series 5.
For what it's worth, I don't think Jodie stuck the landing AT ALL. I think she's largely floundered in the role, but Chibnall's writing and direction may largely be responsible for that. I would like to see how she fares under a better, more competent showrunner.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely.

I love Jodie-she's perfect as The Doctor.

Graham is great-one of my favorite modern companions-especially since he's his own person. He's not fawning over The Doctor, wasn't wrapped up in the Doctor's timeline, he's not The Impossible Man. He's a bus driver who's wife just died and he doesn't want to confront that grief.

There are a few bright points throughout the season: Rosa, Demons of the Punjab and Resolution.

Overall I felt the majority of the season was just "decent". It was never bad-always consistent but it never hit the highs that the previous seasons hit.

Tim Shaw was boring and the decision to have him come back in the finale was bizarre. The decision to stay away from classic monsters was misguided I believe.

Also OP, you praised that this seasons episodes were all self contained. I personally don't like that. I like when the season drops hints about the overall picture and then we gradually build towards the finale. Who was in the vault that 12 and Nardole were guarding? What is Bad Wolf? What are the cracks in the universe? Who killed The Doctor in the astronaut suit? Who was Missy and how was she collecting dead people? These mysteries helped push the momentum forward and bring intrigue to the story. In comparison, the big overarching question this year was: When will Ryan fist bump Graham?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only speaking for myself, but Capaldi's last season was so bad it made me drop the entire series by the 3rd episode.

I'm really interested in Thirteen (I thought that your title was referring to the Eleven doctor), but as a completitonist I can't bring myself to watch it until I finish the 10th season...which was just so unwatchable.

I'm actually kind of surprised by this. Series 10 was the only Capaldi season I actually liked all the way through.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Every character in this series has been fantastic.

I get critiques of the writing and including too much family drama, but the characters have been really good. Jodie is amazing, and the companions just as great.

There were some fantastic episodes this season too. The New Year's episode might have been the best.
Jodie hasn't been amazing. she's been really undser served by the wriring. Easily the dullest doctor maybe ever