• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Randomless

Oct 25, 2017
This was a really garbage episode, just incredibly dull, which is honestly much worse than when something is hilariously bad. I am really starting to come to terms with the fact that modern Who is just not for me anymore. I hope they get rid of Chibnall ASAP. Davies and Moffat had their own respective problems within their eras, but at least the show was always interesting even when it faltered.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
This was the first time I've properly watched in a good few years and I found it pretty underwhelming. Was good to see Jack back (is this the first time a new writer has directly featured an old character from a previous NewWho lead writer?)

It's not really bigger than a cameo the second time around, but Simon Callow reprised his Dickens in The Wedding of River Song.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I tought the episode was fine. It was definitely more Chibnall. The scene with Jack and Yaz was nice, and the wrap up for Graham and Ryan was nice. Who knows, maybe one day they will get their own Big Finish show, investigating alien mysteries.

John Bishop should be interesting as a companion. Sad to hear that he has coronavirus currently.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
That was a pretty okay episode, which is in line with almost all of Chibnall's writing, so not the biggest shock. As long as we don't get any more eps on the level of The Timeless Children, i'll be happy honestly. Now we wait for Series 13.
That's what I felt about it too having just finished, it was decent.
It's weird that even this far in pacing still seems like a main self-inflicted thing since some of the isolated scenes (both some slow and fast ones) I quite liked to where I feel like it should have come together even better than it did. Also, nice tension with Jack and Yaz vs those two Daleks, meanwhile I think that when the Daleks all transported to the "bodies" at the climax that the music didn't really pull its weight as well as it could have. Felt like that was a good moment robbed a bit by the music. Made me miss the more swelling "main themes" style of soundtrack the last three Doctors had for big moments.

I quite enjoyed the start where they were briefly dealing with her being gone and especially the way Jack showed up for the jailbreak was pretty great. As was his discussion with Yaz about the truths about traveling with the Doctor. It was a lot of fun having Jack back for a whole ep.

Not a bad goodbye scene with Ryan and Graham at the end. Like many I'd say Graham was my fave of the three, so hopefully Yaz can develop more since it seems like even with this new guy that's coming there will still be one less companion overall, and I did think the character was better in her second season than the first so they have made some progress with the character.

Along with that, I'd say the best bit of the first half that got the best laugh from me was probably:
Jack: "So, what's new on Earth?"
All three of the companions: "Daleks"

Last edited:

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Imma just say it:

I miss the hell out of Steven Moffat.
I was going to say I don't because of the latter Matt Smith era, but then I remembered that Season 10 was pretty good... and then I remembered his last episode...

I'll say that Moffat is good whenever he's not trying to prove how clever he is, which is unfortunately large chunks of his run

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty positive on the episode. I watched it with my brother who hasn't kept up with Who for the last few series. He enjoyed it. Always fun to see Jack and watch Daleks be super evil.

Big death count for the Daleks this episode.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Just another average Chibnall episode, really. I don't expect much, so I'm not dissapointed.

The premise is a bit hard to enjoy, that one scientist would put a spider monster in the network. Chris Noth was pretty fun, hamming it up. There's a fun novelty to seeing the dalek factions fight each other, and RTD or SM would have done so much better with that idea.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imma just say it:

I miss the hell out of Steven Moffat.

He blew his load over the series way to fast and slowly sizzled out and ended with a mostly wet fart. But we did get Heaven Sent out of it, so despite him having been showrunner for far to long, I'm satisfied with what he delivered overall. Plus, as troubling as Twice Upon a Time is, it still makes me laugh and makes me feel good despite the (my personal favourite) Doctor dying.
Wish the Beebs would release the extended version already, we could to with good New Who content.

I for one could have never expected Chinball's run to be as forgettable as the majority of Torchwood outside of S3 and that one farmer episode.

Don't be throwing series 2 under the bus just like that and the crazy start of Miracle Day. I'll give you the entirety of series and later half of MD though. Honestly I'm shocked Torchwood survived past the second episode, talk about shockingly awful. And (un?)ironically, written by Chibnall!

Dalek riot cops...well, no one's ever accused Doctor Who of being subtle about its politics.
Well... I mean...

No, the shows never been subtle about it...

Ugh...
the Doctor had a spare TARDIS laying around and just wastes it?
Yeah that episode was worse than I expected.

Yes, but no worries:
There's still another one! There's the Doc's TARDIS, you have the one Graham and Co. escaped with (the house) and the one the Doc escaped with (the tree).
The image though of all the Dalek like that was bloody hilarious. Shame it was wasted on this episode of all things...

But sweet lord I have but one demand for the next series, acknowledge that the Doctor escaped from her prison and have at least one episode where she's being hunted down for recapture. The Judoon wouldn't just let an escapee run away like that and leave them be.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
That episode was just B A D for me. The reason why they leave is what? seriously? and yaz being obsessed with the doctor is something we will see why the Doctor abandons her ass. Only thing i liked was captain jack because only he felt relatable and real.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched Doctor Who since the first Capaldi season but I thought this was sort of bad. Maybe more familiarity with some of the characters and this version of the doctor would have helped but the way the episode wasn't constructed for me didn't work either. Nice to see Captain Jack back.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched Doctor Who since the first Capaldi season but I thought this was sort of bad. Maybe more familiarity with some of the characters and this version of the doctor would have helped but the way the episode wasn't constructed for me didn't work either. Nice to see Captain Jack back.
Capaldi series 9 and 10 were good in my opinion, I would have liked more of that. 8 I felt they tried to be too edgy, with 12's abrasiveness, they had a weird abortion metaphor episode.. kill the moon, and brigadier coming back from the dead as a cybermen, which felt a bit distasteful. Quite a WTF series, with the overall tone.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when John Bishop was a thing? Like 10 years ago he was in everything and on every channel? Guess he must be cheaper than Bradley Walsh who's a TV ratings magnet, except ironically for Dr Who.

As for the episode, pretty mediocre. So many things rushed.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when John Bishop was a thing? Like 10 years ago he was in everything and on every channel? Guess he must be cheaper than Bradley Walsh who's a TV ratings magnet, except ironically for Dr Who.

As for the episode, pretty mediocre. So many things rushed.
Walsh probably thought he had gold, first woman doctor, the makers of Broadchurch.

Last edited:

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
The idea of the Daleks being put in place by the british govt as automated security drones was so good and yet the episode was just so... medicore.

Kind of a shame, I have enjoyed the odd episode of the last few years of Who but there seems to be so many filler episodes.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of the Daleks being put in place by the british govt as automated security drones was so good and yet the episode was just so... medicore.

Kind of a shame, I have enjoyed the odd episode of the last few years of Who but there seems to be so many filler episodes.
Doctor Who is meant to be filler episodes, I think. Just random adventures and sometimes a loose arc. The Tesla episode was one of the good ones last year.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So I'm starting to think the Nation family's contract with Doctor Who is starting to hurt the show, because I think the Daleks might have been one of the worst things about this episode.

Why? Because THEY'RE RUNNING OUT OF THINGS TO DO WITH THE DALEKS. And that was painfully clear in this episode.

Daleks fighting other Daleks due to perceived impurities? Been there.

Daleks attacking all of London to take it over? Done that.

Daleks killing the fucking Prime Minister? YEP!

The Daleks need a break. A long-ass break. Make them creepy again, make them scary. Make some serious changes to their characters. Because now, they're just nostalgia for the sake of it. And that's the worst.

Also, have they talked about the people of London's forgetfulness? Like, how many times have Daleks attacked London? And now these new security drones look EXACTLY LIKE THEM?

Last edited:

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Capaldi series 9 and 10 were good in my opinion, I would have liked more of that. 8 I felt they tried to be too edgy, with 12's abrasiveness, they had a weird abortion metaphor episode.. kill the moon, and brigadier coming back from the dead as a cybermen, which felt a bit distasteful. Quite a WTF series, with the overall tone.

Agree

Capaldi was fantastic as a Doctor in 9/10 but Series 8 was jarring in tone and they were really trying to find Capaldi's 'voice' as a Doctor - I think sadly series 8 was disruptive though and marked (in my eyes) the decline of its peak pop culture popularity and UK tea-time 'essential'

Heaven Sent remains my favourite episode perhaps of Who's entire run and (whilst some dislike it) Capaldi's final episode I consider the strongest stand alone regeneration episode since '05. The themes of moving on and his ending speech is killer

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Agree

Capaldi was fantastic as a Doctor in 9/10 but Series 8 was jarring in tone and they were really trying to find Capaldi's 'voice' as a Doctor - I think sadly series 8 was disruptive though and marked (in my eyes) the decline of its peak pop culture popularity and UK tea-time 'essential'

Heaven Sent remains my favourite episode perhaps of Who's entire run and (whilst some dislike it) Capaldi's final episode I consider the strongest stand alone regeneration episode since '05. The themes of moving on and his ending speech is killer
Capaldi has a great 3 part finale in my opinion. It makes me think more fondly of that era as a whole.
So I'm starting to think the Nation family's contract with Doctor Who is starting to hurt the show, because I think the Daleks might have been one of the worst things about this episode.

Why? Because THEY'RE RUNNING OUT OF THINGS TO DO WITH THE DALEKS. And that was painfully clear in this episode.

The Daleks need a break. A long-ass break. Make them creepy again, make them scary. Make some serious changes to their characters. Because now, they're just nostalgia for the sake of it. And that's the worst.

Also, have they talked about the people of London's forgetfulness? Like, how many times have Daleks attacked London? And now these new security drones look EXACTLY LIKE THEM?
It's been a while but I thought the cracks in time, erased the daleks invasions or when they rebooted the universe in The Big Bang.

Peebs

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 16, 2020
It wasn't bad, but it wasn't worth the time spent watching it.

The Doctor spent 30 years sitting on her ass with no plan until someone came along to rescue her?

I think the real issue is there are no highs to get you through the lows. I've been rewatching NuWho and it frequently alternates between blocks of good and blocks of bad. The Satan Pit 2 parter is followed by Love & Monsters and Fear Her. The Doctor's Wife and A Good Man Goes to War straddle The Rebel Flesh 2 parter.

I would happily sit through another Orphan 55 if there was a coin toss that next week might be another Heaven Sent.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, the starting of the episode really felt like a different show entirely and when the intro kicked in, I was reminded it's Doctor Who.

I can see where the tone of the episode is suppose to be but it degraded a little for me. It's a decent episode in terms of the 13th doctor era. I hope going back to the 2 companions dynamic role and a better script will make it better in Series 13.

With that said about this episode though...

This shot is really really cool! Probably one of my favourite doctor who shots in a long while!

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Just not quite getting there for me, this whole era has been so bland, which sucks because Jodie is so freaking good and deserves so much better. That said, Jack was fantastic to see and did provide some of the best moments. Barrowman makes most things better.

I do miss the Moffat era though. It was inconsistent of course, and some of the season long arcs he was fond of landed with a real thud, but there were always interesting ideas and there were consistently strong episodes. Capaldi is probably my favorite Doctor. His first season is a bit rough, it took them some time to land on the right characterization for him, but when they got it, man. Heaven Sent is one of my favorite episodes of television, not just Who. I mean, clips like these show just how good they could be (and Jodie's first scenes here are so freaking good too)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just not quite getting there for me, this whole era has been so bland, which sucks because Jodie is so freaking good and deserves so much better. That said, Jack was fantastic to see and did provide some of the best moments. Barrowman makes most things better.

I do miss the Moffat era though. It was inconsistent of course, and some of the season long arcs he was fond of landed with a real thud, but there were always interesting ideas and there were consistently strong episodes. Capaldi is probably my favorite Doctor. His first season is a bit rough, it took them some time to land on the right characterization for him, but when they got it, man. Heaven Sent is one of my favorite episodes of television, not just Who. I mean, clips like these show just how good they could be (and Jodie's first scenes here are so freaking good too)

Ugh, the Heaven Sent suite playing during the regeneration still gets me. What an incredible piece of music.

Oct 26, 2017

I'm a broken record, but every single season I will post at least once whining about the Daleks because I am so. damn. tired of them. I was tired of them by the time Matt Smith showed up, so I'm especially tired now.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I bet that in Season 13 or 14 that Jack Robinson is going to be the main villain. He knows what the Doctor is capable of and how much of a potential threat she could be to him, an idea i have always thought of is the idea that someone will change public opinion/preception on the Doctor and paint her as a potential threat to humanity. Basically turning humanity against the Doctor.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I bet that in Season 13 or 14 that Jack Robinson is going to be the main villain. He knows what the Doctor is capable of and how much of a potential threat she could be to him, an idea i have always thought of is the idea that someone will change public opinion/preception on the Doctor and paint her as a potential threat to humanity. Basically turning humanity against the Doctor.
His acting is particularly bad so I hope not although I think you're probably right

Making the spider hotel episode one of the most important episodes in Chibnall's run?

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I guess one spanner in that idea is based on Dark Water/Death in Heaven. The Govermential bodies of the earth trust the Doctor but opinion on her could be swayyed by Jack Robinson saying that the Doctor is responsible for brinking the Daleksto the UK

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Daleks flying into the TARDIS was the best thing to happen in Chibnall's Doctor Who, and I'd dearly like to see more stuff like it.

Reminds me of the days where the show could do big daft things like that without worrying that it's not being prestige enough.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't get why they were all mad at her for leaving them for 10 months. I mean, she was in space jail and goofed on the return time. It's not like she purposely said F 'em

Also tired of daleks(and cybermen). They need to give them a rest for a long while

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
This was better than most of the last season but still pretty poor. Fucking John Bishop too. I've never been less excited for a new season of Doctor Who.

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
This was a pretty good episode as far as Chibnall's concerned. Jack was fun, the Dalek's were good and it had a couple of nice character moments.

I'm glad to see the back of Ryan (so wooden) but I wish Graham had stayed.

Anyone wonder how many tea stops they put people at along the truck driver's journey in case he didn't stop at the right one?

Also, for someone who didn't want to get seen, materialising at the top of a bridge as the daleks fly over probably wasn't the smartest idea.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Why did they bring up the truck driver's mum and have nice pictures of his mum in his cab? I was expecting some blackmail shenanigans where he steals the Dalek to save his mum, but they just killed him off with evil tea. Was it just, this man is a nice human man with a mum? Look at these baddies killing a nice man, now his mum won't see him again. Or was his mum dead and we're supposed to feel extra bad because he's had such a bad year and now he's all murdered to death with tea? Don''t fucking bring up a guy's mum in your script if you're not going to do anything with his mum! Anyway I thought this episode was a bit boring but I liked the TARDIS death trap trick.

Anyone wonder how many tea stops they put people at along the truck driver's journey in case he didn't stop at the right one?
I did! Probably the evil tea woman radioed in, and a hundred evil tea women closed their stops and went home.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'm a broken record, but every single season I will post at least once whining about the Daleks because I am so. damn. tired of them. I was tired of them by the time Matt Smith showed up, so I'm especially tired now.

They've been hitting the same notes for 55 damn years with them. Remembrance of the Daleks really should have been the last Dalek story as it was a perfect end to an amazing run. I'd go as far to say that every Dalek story they've done in New Who has been either bad or seriously trying too hard to capture nostalgia or fanservice. They seriously need an overhaul.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
That was boring. Especially for a holiday special.

There wasn't anything too terrible about it, but I just got nitpicky at certain things.

I hoped that The Doctor would have spent more time in prison and found a way out herself. It's nice to see Jack again, but Jodie hasn't really had that many solo highlights for herself. It also would have forced her to come to grasp at what to do with her reveal.

Ryan and Graham didn't really get to go out well in the finale. The closest thing was a retread to Ryan's condition that was hardly ever brought up in his run. At the very least I'm glad they gave the two the option to return again.

John Bishop is me. And I'm shaking my head at the missed opportunity for a first ever all-female companion team. I liked Tate, but I hope he doesn't overshadow Yaz.

I can't believe the Daleks actually didn't exterminate that businessman. The Daleks killed people for less.

Again, I hope the show gets a new showrunner. While I'm not that desperate to want Moffat again, at least he dished out some interesting episodes. I don't want Jodie's run to be done in by a mediocre showrunner.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
So the whole cliffhanger setup of sending the Doctor to prison amounted to nothing more than a means to distance her from the "fam" and justify the two boys leaving the show? Because there was absolutely no further exploration of why she was there, what was the real impact. No meaningful interactions with other prisoners (whom she'd obviously know plenty), just a couple of lighthearted gags. Watching her doing nothing and just marking days was absolutely un-Doctor like.

And then we get a bog-standard Dalek fight. woof.