• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I think these movies are starting to become too complicated for general audiences. I've seen it twice now with two different groups and people did not understand a significant portion of the multiverse stuff.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If I may ask, which Marvel game do you work on? I play several so that got me curious.

I'll DM you.

I don't think that pep talk was unintentionally hilarious.

You're not wrong, but judging by the look the lady in front of us gave me and my friend during our laughing fit, you'd think it was serious business 😂😂

We weren't even laughing that loud! I even had my hand over my mouth because the theater was oddly quiet during that scene 😂😂 (which is weird for a US movie in LA). in fact, our crowd was rather subdued compared to when I saw No Way Home, but it also wasn't a packed screening, which was surprising considering it was at one of the more popular and large cinemas here.

Loved it.
Once again I left the theater feeling glad that I'm on the MCU ride.

The final scene with Wanda and the kids really hit me in the feels.
Wanda became genuinely scary as a relentless killing machine.

And that brilliant piece of dialogue:

"They were created with magic."
"Isn't that what all mothers do?"

God damn...

I loved that line so much

Just in time for Mother's Day too

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

Ok look it's a clear step up from your average MCU movie but some of these "VIOLENCE" takes are… overstated lol

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
To think that I went into this film thinking that Wanda and Strange were teaming up to fight some villain from another universe lol.
Nothing like going into a movie blind.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
"Your wife is alive right?
"Yeah."
"Good, then your kids will still have a parent."

GODDAMN
That line was perfect. Another perfectly cheesy yet intimidating line was when the other Strange said "you know when you have that feeling that you're falling, like you were pushed off of a building? Yeah, that was me" fucking awesome.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Someone in here explained that our Wanda is the only one turning into the Scarlet Witch, making her the only one in the entire multiverse.
Link to that post or was that the entire gist?

That would explain a lot why she is so powerful in ours, but perhaps not as much in others. The whole movie felt insane.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
To think that I went into this film thinking that Wanda and Strange were teaming up to fight some villain from another universe lol.

Same exact thought and feeling I had. Then boom shock after shock throughout.
I was looking forward to more multiverse content and cameos of OG avengers but it's all good.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After seeing Wanda tear up shop in this film, I'm half tempted to ask for MCU's inevitable Deadpool film to be "Deadpool Kills The Marvel Cinematic Universe"

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021

Ok look it's a clear step up from your average MCU movie but some of these "VIOLENCE" takes are… overstated lol

I wholeheartedly agree with everything Clayton Davis said here. After seeing the film and comparing even with James Gunn's The Suicide Squad, I'm equally flabbergasted and pleased that Sam Raimi got away with this PG-13 rating with this much horror elements going on.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
FSMWf3iXMAADlJj

People are trashing on Reed for explaining Black Bolt powers and basically telling Wanda how to stop him, even though that's the most Reed shit we've seen in a Marvel movie to date.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One part I found kind of hilarious is just how perfect and innocent the kids were. Just as crazy idealized as they were in Wanda Vision. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that was some intentional camp. The Icecream song was composed by Danny Elfman by the way, lol

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
That line was perfect. Another perfectly cheesy yet intimidating line was when the other Strange said "you know when you have that feeling that you're falling, like you were pushed off of a building? Yeah, that was me" fucking awesome.

"If you ever had a wet dream, that was probably me"
That line still gives me chills.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wholeheartedly agree with everything Clayton Davis said here. After seeing the film and comparing even with James Gunn's The Suicide Squad, I'm equally flabbergasted and pleased that Sam Raimi got away with this PG-13 rating with this much horror elements going on.
It's funny that Feige talked about how brutal Moon Knight is. Moon Knight is so harmless compared to this one, lol

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Clea.

marvel.fandom.com

Clea (Earth-616)

276 appearance(s) of Clea (Earth-616) 11 appearance(s) in handbook(s) of Clea (Earth-616) 36 minor appearance(s) of Clea (Earth-616) 35 mention(s) of Clea (Earth-616) 11 mention(s) in handbook(s) of Clea (Earth-616) 191 image(s) of Clea (Earth-616) 16 quotation(s) by or about Clea (Earth-616) 3...

Yo so the theater by here had some Dr Strange promo banner up before it came out and in between shots of the movie characters was this piece of art. I was like ??? but seeing this now and knowing what it is I'm like ????????

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty good movie, I had fun! Very much a MCU movie but from time to time they let Raimi have his fun.

The Illuminati slaughter bit felt took from like a Marshall Law comic lol Black Bolt death was nuts, kinda crazy they just showed it with no obfuscation. Reed's was crazy too. I gotta say though, I didn't like how Black Bolt's power was done, didn't look that good.

I found funny the pep talks in this too:

"I can't"
"you can tho"

It was very direct lol

I liked the ending, Evil Dead lite with a budget. The "music fight" was so silly too, loved it.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah, I think it's the gore that tends to be the deciding factor. "Scary" is so subjective, you can usually get away with a lot. I remember it being controversial that The Conjuring secured an R-rating for its Terror after its close cousin Insidious was PG-13, it can be a bit arbitrary.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

It'll never happen with something like Dr Strange nor any MCU film that doesn't feature Punisher or Deadpool. There's apparently a 2 hours 40 minutes original cut of this movie out there, so it's possible it included the stuff that Disney slapped Raimi's hand over.

Frankly, this was more violent than Darkman and Army of Darkness, but not as outright horror like Drag Me to Hell was as a PG-13 movie.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing them get creative with "non-traditional" universes like that. Particularly as America Chavez gets more developed, since it's kind of her wheelhouse. Would love to see her open a door to the Punch Dimension at some point and fuck somebody up with it.

YXFLWE5.jpg
Wait, there's a universe that's just Cylcops' optic blast?

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I was not a fan of this movie I really appreciated the creativity with the magic powers in this movie. The dreamwalking, zombie demon powers, cheesy music fight, wanda moving through reflections, and even the opening fight were all much more creative than most of what dr strange does in other movies. It was something I always hope would improve in every movie he's in so I hope they dont tone him back down after this.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Scarlett Witch literally murdering the doofus Illuminati club was my favorite scene. I can't recall another MCU movie having a comparable scene of satisfying MDK.

Edit: especially seeing Tuning Fork Man's head caving in.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
This movie being a horror movie is the new "Winter Soldier is actually a 70's political thriller".

I did enjoy the violence and horror moments though. Just think it's funny when ppl exaggerate the genre of these movies.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Any ideas on why both Strange and Wong seem to be very familiar with Spider-Man (conversation with America in the diner, again when talking to Wanda in the illusion-grove) when just recently, Strange wiped Spider-Man from everyone's memory?

He actually only wiped Peter Parker from everyone's memory. Spider-Man is still a web-slinging vigilante (as evidenced by JJJ's news broadcast after the spell disparaging him for hiding behind a mask, and Happy saying that he knew May through Spider-Man).

I'm assuming that everything involving Spider-Man (his fight in Civil War, his stopping of The Vulture in Homecoming, his fight with Thanos and dusting, his fight with Mysterio, and then his role in stopping the multiversal threats), happens and are all known. It's just that everyone, including the other Avengers, has no idea who's behind the mask.

In their collective memories, any interaction they had with Spider-Man in the past, they only see him in the mask (even if WE saw his face). Since Tony isn't around to corroborate it, I imagine they just assume he went and recruited this masked vigilante in Civil War, and MJ and Ned only recall helping save students with Happy in Far From Home, and MJ probably doesn't recall the conversation she had with Peter on the bridge after he defeated Mysterio. She might vaguely recall meeting Spider-Man, though I have a feeling she has a hard time remembering where she got that black dahlia necklace from…

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Yeah, I think it's the gore that tends to be the deciding factor. "Scary" is so subjective, you can usually get away with a lot. I remember it being controversial that The Conjuring secured an R-rating for its Terror after its close cousin Insidious was PG-13, it can be a bit arbitrary.
Yeah I just realized that there is even a Variety article about this that I think it's worthy of its own thread.

It'll never happen with something like Dr Strange nor any MCU film that doesn't feature Punisher or Deadpool. There's apparently a 2 hours 40 minutes original cut of this movie out there, so it's possible it included the stuff that Disney slapped Raimi's hand over.

Frankly, this was more violent than Darkman and Army of Darkness, but not as outright horror like Drag Me to Hell was as a PG-13 movie.
I could see more gory elements left in the cutting room floor but stuff like killing off Earth 616 Baron Mordo I'm glad it's gone away. Mordo is an excellent character and Ejiofor is just too good to play a jobber and show how powerful Wanda is.

It's WAY more horror than Winter Soldier is a 70s political thriller though
I don't understand how that it's even disputable.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
That will be interesting to see Peter and Nick Fury on screen together again. Fury doesn't know Peter but at the same time can easily get the information he needs just like before and know everything about this Peter Parker person.

May 26, 2018
I am a WandaVision fan. I'm not part of the absolutely wild Twitter / TikTok / Instagram fandom around the Scarlet Witch and Vision, but I do understand the appeal and I am happy that the fandom exists. With that said, both WandaVision and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness have more symmetry and things in common than most people realize I think, either by their own bias or for not paying enough attention.

WandaVision is about how you deal with grief. In a lot of ways, that's precisely what Multiverse of Madness is about as well, not just from Wanda's perspective, but Stephen's as well. Our Earth 616 Wanda is the Scarlet Witch, a nexus being, which means that in every other universe, Wanda isn't the Scarlet Witch. Like her, same goes to America Chavez, with one caveat: there isn't another America Chavez, unlike there are other Wandas and Stephens. She is a pure nexus being, hence why both her and our Scarlet Witch are so powerful.

It's interesting how in Multiverse of Madness, we are constantly being reminded by the consequences of the main characters actions, and not just that, how much their actions ended up having consequences into each of them. For example, when Dr. Nicodemus West approaches Strange at Christine's wedding, he asks Strange if that was truly the only way. It's clear now that in fact no, it was not. It was the only way in which Stephen survived, yes, but that had major consequences to Stark, the world and well, Wanda and Vision as well. In this film, Wanda isn't seen as a threat, but in fact Strange is. He is the one that in all the universes we've seen other than Earth 616 that his actions lead to the end of the world.

And that happens because very much like Strange, Wanda is also a person that wants to control. Earth 616 Wanda is a nexus being because she is the only one that became the Scarlet Witch, and in all the other universes according with this film, Strange is the one that always evolves to become an actual threat. In fact, it's likely that our Wanda wouldn't become the Scarlet Witch if things had gone differently during the Infinity Saga, which was very much Strange's plan at play.

The difference is that our Earth 616 Strange didn't became a monster for losing Christine (like What If… Strange), or didn't try to take away America Chavez power like ponytail Spanish talking Strange in the beginning of film, or to defeat Thanos like 838 Strange or the one at the end of the film consumed by the Darkhold. Wanda was so adamant of bringing his lover back to life that she controlled a whole town and even after being warned by Agatha that becoming the Scarlet Witch would doom her, she chose to try to not control just one town, but the whole multiverse in order to bring her children back. Wanda only learned to let go after facing her children variants seeing what she became, while Strange after finally professing his love for Christine and saying that he loves her in every universe, gets the lesson that sets him apart of his other variants and Wanda herself up at the point: he learns to let go and face his own fears. Wong says that the only way to stop Wanda is to take away America's powers, essentially killing her. Strange learned to let go not just of what he thinks it's her love for Christine, but his necessity for control, he chose to trust America instead.

Our Strange, just like Wanda, was just one decision away of becoming the multiverse's biggest threat, and I feel like both WandaVision and Multiverse of Madness elevate and speak to each other more than we are realizing so far.

This is a really good post! Gold star ya if I could

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What was the thing that Rachel McAdams character use to attack soul things attacking Strange body?

marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com

Brazier of Bom'Galiath

The Brazier of Bom'Galiath is a relic in possession of the Masters of the Mystic Arts. During his studies at Kamar-Taj, Doctor Strange had come across the Brazier of Bom'Galiath.[1] In 2017, during the fight at the New York Sanctum, Doctor Strange recognized the brazier and attempted to use it...

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
From the trailers and posters I had the distinct feeling she was going to be a villain, but I thought there was going to be some larger threat, I didn't think she was going to be the primary villain.

But it worked out great.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's more fantasy. Jurassic Park had more horror moments because it had suspense and build up. This is basically cartoonish CGI monsters. There's nothing intense or horrific moments to be horror.

I disagree. The image of Wanda dressed as a house wife, covered in dried blood, limping towards the heros, because her bare feet were cut by glass, but yet she's still always just behind them, was absolutely a slasher movie moment.

This isn't a horror movie. But Rami's horror influence is seen in this movie throughout many scenes.

It's definitely still a superhero movie, but I'm saying the horror is very much front & center.

This.