• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey with my mother and I bless her heart for trying, but I get frustrated because she always asks me for help instead of thinking for herself. We put the difficulty on the lowest setting and i fight all the battles for her. She has a hard time using both the left and right sticks to move the character and the camera.

But i appreciate her for trying and she's enjoying it at her own pace. Do your parents game and how good do they play?

Kientin

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
My mom likes to play games like Bejeweled on her tablet before bed occasionally. My dad has this real old poker game he plays. He used to play a lot of Flight Simulator.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
My parents do not play video games beyond candy crush/words with friends (and even then only my mother)

however, I am a father of three. Two of my children have switched they bought themselves and I Have ps4s and apersonal switch.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Sort of , my mom plays super Mario 1,2,and 3 almost daily since they were released.
I mean like she will play through 1 game each day. Not just play for a while through a level or two.
She's 79 now.

Oct 28, 2017
My mum got into video games through helping me play Resi 3 on release. I was a kid at the time, 9 or 10 years old, and was too scared to play when Nemesis appeared. She took the controller and panicked her way through it with me so I could begin playing again. From there, she moved on to stuff like Parasite Eve 2 and grew a love of video games, though she was limited in what she could play as she epileptic.

She's dead now so no way to play the remake with her, which saddens me, but I'll always be happy she introduced me to games and told my step father to piss off when he told her video games would rot my brain.

Quite possibly the only mother I know who has beaten God Hand all the way through, solo. She took my PS2 after I got a 360 and beat plenty of the ol' classics on there.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Nope, nothing at all. Not even mobile games or crosswords in the paper or Sudoku or anything.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
No, but I think my dad would make an amazing streamer for trucking simulation games. My sister, partner, and I are all trying to convince him to start playing and streaming.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
My parents freaking love Wii Sports Resort.

Specifically the bowling.

The only reason my Wii is still plugged in is for them.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
No one in my family does.

But my dad watched a CSGO tournament with me once and liked it. And swore he would stand a chance against them because he's good at chess strategy lmao

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Some of my very first gaming memories are playing the Atari 5200 on Christmas Day with my dad. We played football and he would run around me when I got close to tackling his player. He'd laugh and laugh when I got frustrated. Later, I would wake up on a weekend morning hearing gun sounds and duck hunt music. I'd always go play a few rounds with him. One time, we played Tecmo Super Bowl. It was the last time we played a football game.....let's just say he wasn't laughing that time.

My mom loves to play solitaire and spider solitaire on her iPad now, but she doesn't play consoles.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
My dad does. Mainly shooters, with Destiny being his main game. It's pretty much all he plays, with the occasional Doom or Wolfenstein to divert his attention for a bit. Like he'll occasionally complain about how Destiny isn't what it used to be, but complain as he's playing and he can't quit. His job doesn't afford him crazy long gaming sessions, but he plays at least an hour a day and has put over 700 hours in D2. No idea how much of the first he played.

My mom doesn't play games, but she's my dad's "assistant." If he gets stuck, she'll pull up guides on her tablet and help him out. They always say "we" when talking about playing the game and it's the most adorable thing.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yep my Mom loves game especially the Sims. In fact outside my dad my whole family are pretty big gamers lol

Deleted member 26909

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My dad played the NES, specifically Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt, with my older brothers when it released. Didn't play anything between now and then. Occasionally, we will convince them to play Just Dance or Wii Sports (which they surprisingly dominate).

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
My dad plays Warframe and Final Fantasy XIV while my mom plays mostly games on her tablet. They used to play the Ultima games when they were younger and still have their hand drawn dungeon maps.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
My dad introduced me to video games. I remember him beating things like Doom and GTA3 before I did. My mom is more of a pinball person but she was once amazing in DDR. Like full combo on MAX 300 type of amazing.

Voxy

Dec 3, 2019
My mother introduced me to video games, she loved adventure/plataform games. But after PS2 she stopped playing.

Full Nines

Apr 10, 2018
My mom used to be really into Dr. Mario when I was a kid, but the the only game she plays now is Solitaire. She's been bugging me to find another one since her Windows 10 one is now really obnoxious with its ads now, apparently.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Is there any way to improve your time reflex if your older? My mom stuggles with QTE's that so many games have nowadays i tried to get her to assassinate some guards, but shes not fast enough to do it before the guards are alerted lol

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
My dad still playsTiger Woods on my old 360 all of the time. He also likes a couple of puzzle games but not much beyond that.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
My dad plays Angry Birds and he bought this Space Invaders mini arcade cabinet from Nordstorm of all places.

Nov 4, 2017
My mum has a Snezz mini. She loves the Mario games. She used SMB on the NES to quit smoking when I was a kid; every time she had a craving, she'd fire up the Nintendo. She also finished SMB1 before I did; she was so excited to show us when we got home from school.

My dad used to play FIFA and Gran Tourismo, but I think he's lost interest. I don't think his new wife would let him clutter the lounge with a console + controllers anyway.

They are 57 and 58 respectively.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
My aunt (closer with her than my mother) does. She's been playing console RPGs since borrowing my Genesis and playing Shining in the Darkness in '92. She will be getting FF7R at release also. She's 62.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mom only play mobile apps (candy crush), I don't consider that as a true game. A true gamer should have played Fortnite at least

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Back in the 2000s my father finished Oddworld Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus, and he finished New Super Mario Bros. DS earlier last decade. Since then he's pretty much quit console gaming but still plays mobile puzzle games once in a while.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
years ago I tried to set up a computer for my dad to play WoW since he loves fantasy setting things,
he doesn't hate videogames but he never played one.
but he just keep refusing to play, he said he is too old and I said age won't matter, and take as much time as he like.
in the end he still refuse to even try.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. I'm fairly certain my mother would actually really enjoy some puzzle games but I can't see her ever bothering to give them a try. My dad has never liked them, the closest I have ever seen him come to taking an interest is when he walked in on me playing Red Dead Redemption and it clearly caught his attention for a brief moment.

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
Both of them do, which is nice.
Dad is a Playstation guy and he mostly plays fps and first party titles, but sometimes branches out if something interests him.
Mom didn't play video games until I introduced her to a little game called Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Needless to say she's hyped about the upcoming game. She also likes adventure games and sometimes jrpgs when the mechanics are not too complex.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
They've both dabbled down the years, and nowadays they enjoy getting involved with one of my younger brothers playing stuff (i.e. he'll be the one controlling, but they'll be offering a lot of input)

They have a fondness for puzzle/detective games, though they also both enjoy watching a few of the Zelda games.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Mother has played games my whole life. Some of my earliest memories are of my Mom Aunt and Grandmother playing River Raid on the 2600.

I'm playing through Torchlight 2 right now with my Mom. She love ARPGs. We've done Diablo, Path of Exile, Titan Quest, Division 1&2, Anthem, Destiny 1&2, and Ghost Recon Wildlands and Breakpoint.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Mostly just Words With Friends these days, my mum may play other small mobile games here and there (though less than she used to). She used to be super into Columns on the Game Gear, and Tetris on one of those old 99-in-1 brick game things. She also got a DSi at some point and played a few things there, all puzzle-type games.
Now it's mostly just Words here and there, I think all the grandkids are more than enough entertainment for her.

That said, they were always super encouraging with video games. Even going above and beyond to pre-order stuff for me when I was a kid in the 90s, so I could get the weird rare bonuses back then.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nope, but I just became a dad to a pair of twin boys 7 weeks ago. I'm gonna play games until I die. I'll start them on NES and SNES classic in about 5 years.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
My mom has a 3DS and plays puzzle and adventure games on it regularly. She's in her 70s.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Bonding time with mom was watching her play through OG Tomb Raier, Rayman 2, Mario Sunshine, Zelda, or FF7/8, impatiently telling her to do the next objective while she explored every nook and cranny. She grew up with a Magnavox Odyssey that we still have somewhere. Her dad loves tech; doesn't understand it well but SFX in movies and stuff like video games make him giddy. He will watch us play new games in awe and talk about how jealous he is because he never adapted past a joystick and single button.

My youngest sibling got TLoU for PS4 a couple years back and mom immediately took over her save file and got super invested in it. I used to loan her Wii U games too. When we were talking she'd ask me where things were in BotW.

Stepdad doesn't play much but I remember him being into Gran Tourismo in the 90s and mom said he plays CoD I think? Some shooter like that. He'll do anything related to cars or guns haha

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
My mom is thousands of levels into candy crush and a slot machine and bingo billionaire. Got her a shiny new iPad Pro for Xmas last year. Now I can hear the cha-Ching sounds in stereo when I come over.

Dude Guy

Oct 27, 2017
My mom loves Ms Pac Man and used to complete the Sonic (1,2,3,Knuckles) special stages for me back in the early 90s.