MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
People wash chicken? The hell...? That not only sounds pointless (washing chicken won't remove the bacteria, that's what the cooking does) but also extremely unhygienic if you're splashing raw chicken everywhere. You just need to wash your hands after handling any raw meat. Job done.

For my own peace of mind I just Googled 'Should you wash raw chicken before cooking?' and the first result is an NHS article titled "Why you should never wash raw chicken".

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Even without the risk of contamination, it's still completely pointless and does nothing to actually clean the meat
Not doing anything is not in the same league as 'spreading Sallmonella all over the kitchen' your cooking must be absolutely sloppy if that's a legitimate risk. People who wash their meat arent putting a firehose to the thing. It's a simple small stream of water to rinse off the juices that just sit there. The way I'm seeing users describe cleaning meat makes it look like your kitchen is a mess period.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
People wash chicken? The hell...? That not only sounds pointless (washing chicken won't remove the bacteria, that's what the cooking does) but also extremely unhygienic if you're splashing raw chicken everywhere. You just need to wash your hands after handling any raw meat. Job done.

For my own peace of mind I just Googled 'Should you wash raw chicken before cooking?' and the first result is an NHS article titled "Why you should never wash raw chicken".

Nah man these random ass people know better than scientific food safety organizations

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I worked in a kitchen for 8 years and lots of chefs do it. Said getting the nasty juice off made it last longer which is probably untrue but it made me despise that juice lol

Let me put it this way...

if you have to wash the meat...then it's meat that you probably shouldn't be cooking in the first place.

And also that is completely untrue...you dry it out when you do that and it leads to stringy and tough meats...and why exactly are you trying to make it "last longer" when thats what a freezer is for...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not doing anything is not in the same league as 'spreading Sallmonella all over the kitchen' your cooking must be absolutely sloppy if that's a legitimate risk. People who wash their meat arent putting a firehose to the thing. It's a simple small stream of water to rinse off the juices that just sit there. The way I'm seeing users describe cleaning meat makes it look like your kitchen is a mess period.
No need to get that involved, lol. People are using hyperbole to highlight something silly. It increases the risk of cross contamination and spread of bacteria, couple that with the fact it's not advised to do is enough.

Washing it does no good, the "juices that just sit there" are part of the "meat that just sits there", cooking will handle it all.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
What are you people doing that washing something means splattering it all over the kitchen? Doing dishes must be like going to a water park.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Let me put it this way...

if you have to wash the meat...then it's meat that you probably shouldn't be cooking in the first place.

And also that is completely untrue...you dry it out when you do that and it leads to stringy and tough meats...and why exactly are you trying to make it "last longer" when thats what a freezer is for...
Commercial kitchens are there to make money not care if you got fresh ingredients... If you're going out to eat there's probably one in ten kitchens that legit care about the things you care about as a customer.
Figuring out how much meat to leave out of freezer is an art in a kitchen.... freezing doesn't stop bacteria growth

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What are you people doing that washing something means splattering it all over the kitchen? Doing dishes must be like going to a water park.
They're not literally saying this... come on, lol. It's hyperbole for effect, the idea is it increases risk of cross contamination AND is unnecessary.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I wash and pat dry the chicken as it being somewhat dry seems to make the spices stick to the chicken better.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
If it's overly bloody or frozen solid

giphy.gif
This gif is from Scary Movie right? Looks so familiar.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
you know chicken is raw chicken right and if you put water on it is bad and will smell like a fart.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
What the fuck? No.

If it wasn't air chilled and is a bit moist I'll dry it with paper towel, but washing meat is silly.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Absolutely and everyone in caribbean culture i know did it as well. This CDC came as a huge surprise to me, as growing up a lot of people in my culture are taught washing chicken is like the first thing you do.
Yeah, can confirm.

It's not just rinsing with water sometimes sometimes lemon juice, vinegar or lime too.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
this is the Nth time we've had the thread.

probably every time the CDC makes the announcement. which always has the same respondents.
the answer has not changed.

I will wash chicken in the face of God.
Did you grow up with your mom calling you from the other side of the house to come to her room so she can tell you to take the chicken out the freezer?

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Commercial kitchens are there to make money not care if you got fresh ingredients... If you're going out to eat there's probably one in ten kitchens that legit care about the things you care about as a customer.
Figuring out how much meat to leave out of freezer is an art in a kitchen.... freezing doesn't stop bacteria growth

And I've worked in multiple...

If I see slimy chicken myself, I will not bother to wash it and just simply throw it out. The smell alone will set you off.

If it's gonna sit in a fridge for more than two days? policy is always always freeze it.

It's not an art...its literally commons sense and one of the key rules of working in a kitchen.

I've had fights with "Managers" about using food like that before and straight up told them "here...I'll cook this and you eat it and see if you want to serve it". And only one had the balls to actually accept the challenge and then spit out the meatballs that were fucking green.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
And I've worked in multiple...

If I see slimy chicken myself, I will not bother to wash it and just simply throw it out. The smell alone will set you off.

If it's gonna sit in a fridge for more than two days? policy is always always freeze it.

It's not an art...its literally commons sense and one of the key rules of working in a kitchen.

I've had fights with "Managers" about using food like that before and straight up told them "here...I'll cook this and you eat it and see if you want to serve it". And only one had the balls to actually accept the challenge and then spit out the meatballs that were fucking green.

Yeah I was just a dishwasher/ prep cook at age 15- 18 I wasn't really in that position lol . But yeah I agree

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I would be shocked. Sushi places have to have disclaimers on the menu for raw fish, and some places even make you sign a waiver for certain dishes.

Raw chicken though? Forget it.
Just do some quick google searching. It's definitely not illegal and some Japanese places in the US serve it.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
How would rinsing even get rid of actual fat, given that fat is hydrophobic? Unless you used some type of soap first it'd nothing to fat
Not from the water, using a knife to peel off the visible fat and any pieces of feathers. Running it under the water made it easier to clean. This was how they were taught and passed it into me.

I haven't done this in over a decade after learning how to properly cook. Not saying my parents cooking and methods sucked, but I've surpassed them with the exception of a few cultural dishes they have years of experience making from memory.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Also some of the replies make think y'all use a garden hose hooked up to a pressure washer spraying raw chicken juice in every crevice of the kitchen.