• Yes

Votes: 291 68.0%
  • No

Votes: 137 32.0%

• Total voters

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers, obviously. First, hear me out. We all know that the final season is a dumpster fire(I actually liked it but eherm), and the show lost all its hold in popular culture when it ended. Now I was thinking what if George rewrites the ending? Specifically, not making Dany mad. I love her in the show and in the books and I think if he and his publishers are wise, they could cash in on this hard. Then HBO can refilm the final season. But how would that explain the first final season? I say make it appear as one of Bran's visions, problem solved.

Anyone agree with me? If not, but you still want the ending changed, how would you like it to be done?

PS: Please don't hate me.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
The ending from a bullet point form could be very cool. The huge issue is how poorly they got there and didn't justify any of it

And Jaimie will be different regardless

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
he just needs to properly make dragon lady bad without tripping over his own bum

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the ending would have worked if it actually took the time needed to make the characters descend into madness. And the long night felt short because they just didn't want to kill the characters, something I expect will happen if the books are ever finished

OP
OP
Oliver James

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How can you retcon what isn't even written yet?
He didn't write that ending.
Book doesn't equal tv. You know that right?
There's nothing to retcon
Okay hold up for a sec, I was under the impression that the main plotline of the show is from Martin so Dany going mad will be on the books. Are you telling me there's a chance?

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If I could change only one thing it would be the total heel turn Jaime does

everything else could probably be fine if it gets developed better

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
He should not change anything that he previously has been hinting towards in his writing, otherwise that's a big FU to fans of the books.

It is likely the ending will be similar but the difference will be in execution and breadth, which I assume will be better lol

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The final outcomes for most characters (except Jaime cause fuck that) are fine. It was just the storytelling from the showrunners that got us to that point that was pretty awful.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
the final season is a dumpster fire(I actually liked it...)
zGHQb4O.gif

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see how GRRM would have wrote it with all the different variables (like Aegon and the dragon binder) and the context behind King Bran.

Doubt ADoS will ever be released (or maybe WoW as well)

I think there should be a twist with Dany, and she's not a savour. That wouldn't seem true to the anti-war story, that she sieges a city and it's clean and heroic.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Okay hold up for a sec, I was under the impression that the main plotline of the show is from Martin so Dany going mad will be on the books. Are you telling me there's a chance?

Even if she does go mad, I'm sure martin will actually justify it unlike the show, especially considering the PoVs in her head. Considering how much he rewrites shit, who even knows if his original intentions will end up in print.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I really doubt the overall plot beats of the last season are going to be different from the books. I'm sure the overarching narrative points were provided by GRRM, and the TV show writers filled it in from there.

Jan 31, 2018
Jokes about him never finishing aside, no I don't. Watching the show a year and a half ago, I was legitimately surprised at the heel turn. But thinking about it, I realized my surprise was purely the result of how poorly the show was run and how much better it would have all been had GRRM wrote it all out first. Going back through the books, the signs are all there and it's honestly a massive shame GRRM dropped the ball so hard.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
There's nothing wrong with Daenerys going mad. It's the execution that's the problem. Her ending up like her father is not a bad story at all.
It simply needed a lot more time, not 2 episodes and some bells.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Actually the television show is called "Game of Thrones" and the book series is called "A Song of Ice and Fire" so there won't be anything to retcon.

/Glasses push

I have seen people argue this

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Spoilers, obviously. First, hear me out. We all know that the final season is a dumpster fire(I actually liked it but eherm), and the show lost all its hold in popular culture when it ended. Now I was thinking what if George rewrites the ending? Specifically, not making Dany mad. I love her in the show and in the books and I think if he and his publishers are wise, they could cash in on this hard. Then HBO can refilm the final season. But how would that explain the first final season? I say make it appear as one of Bran's visions, problem solved.

Anyone agree with me? If not, but you still want the ending changed, how would you like it to be done?

PS: Please don't hate me.

King Bran, Daenerys burning down King's Landing and Jon Snow being exiled to the Far North should not be changed.

There's too much set up in the books for it.

Although Daenerys doesn't need to be mad to burn down KL as the wildfire is buried under KL for a reason and only Jaime and Brienne know about it in the books.

Euphoria

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I believe we are never getting the books so ultimately it doesn't matter but I don't think the way it ended it all that bad.

The issue is how it got to that point. It was just so rushed that many things just didn't feel right and didn't make sense that it occurred in such a short amount of time.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
There were broad strokes given to the showrunners, but very very broad. Aside from that, the books literally, and I do mean that word 'literally' havent been written. It'll probably be a decade from the last book until the next and not even final book is released, anything is possible at this point.

Oct 26, 2017
Martin wouldn't have characters like Tyrion and Varys be complete fucking idiots for a start, but even if Dany "gets mad" it won't be as abysmally handled as in the show. Then there's the billion other threads that exist in ASOIAF that never existed in the show. Also Martin can write.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Some of ending points are GRRM's for the most part so King Bran, Jon Snow being exiled, Daenerys burning down KL & being killed by Jon Snow are the ending points that are written in stone for GRRM.

Context will be very different and everything will significantly differ.

Oct 27, 2017
The ending in concept wasn't the problem. The fact that the ending they wrote and filmed get like a rushed first draft was the problem.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you singling out Dany being mad? That was far from the worst in the season and Dany always acted a bit crazy in the show. I liked Dany being mad, don't think they should change that but do think they should re-do the final season as it was horrible and killed the show.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
If it ever gets written, no, she'll go mad too and john will kill her. Everything else could be different.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
People holding out for Dany not being a dumpster fire person in the books. I'm sure there will be far more nuance in text but I don't see her steering away that titanic sized ego from ruin.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Mad queen Dany isn't the end, it is mid arc, reducing her to powerless and forcing reflection. The ending is her redemption, saving the realm that rejected her.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We can speculate all we want, GRRM is never finishing the series. Ask this question again when we know who will finish the last 2 (or 3) books.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
If it ever gets written, no, she'll go mad too and john will kill her. Everything else could be different.

King Bran is a lock-in as well:

main-qimg-bf575d57c2d92d08322bbffe67d16237

"It honestly just depends on specifics," Benioff said. "Like it was always going to be Bran as the king at the end."

"[Creators] David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] told me there were two things [author] George R.R. Martin had planned for Bran, and that was the Hodor revelation, and that he would be king," Bran's actor said.

so yeah.

Mad queen Dany isn't the end, it is mid arc, reducing her to powerless and forcing reflection. The ending is her redemption, saving the realm that rejected her.

This doesn't really track because Jon Snow killing Daenerys has been foreshadowed since book 1. The only way these two things could make sense if if Jon Snow turned out to be power-hungry.

But even that doesn't fully fall into place since Jon's arc is about choosing between his duty of protecting the realm and love.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
He published books 1-4 in the time between books 5 and now, with AT LEAST two books to complete. He is never finishing the damn story.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Not sure why you think a '90s sitcom that launched the career of Martin Lawrence is going to have any barring on books that will never come out.