Do you use a washcloth when bathing/showering?

• yes

Votes: 194 34.7%
  • no

Votes: 365 65.3%

• Total voters

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I use the cat. He doesn't like it, but that just motivates him to exfoliate me better with his sharp little claws.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Loofah seems like both the superior way to make a lather as well as scrubbing and doesn't get all crusty/grimy from soap/skin/dirt/etc.

Well, a washcloth may be better for scrubbing, but I get the loofah with a pad that helps for a good scrub.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Why wouldn't you use a new one every time you bathe?

You get one, bathe, then put it in the dirty laundry to wash. Are folks just letting ti sit in there mildewing and shit?

This.

I've heard people saying they keep one for the face and one for the body. They used them and let them air-dry, then wash them "periodically" and I just...don't...understand.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
How are people here becoming so grimy over the course of their day that lathering soap and/or bodywash and rubbing it all over the body with your hands, is not removing most if not all of the dirt, such that it reaches a threshold of being clean enough to operate in society for the subsequent 16-24 hours or so?

Skin dies and we are black.

spindashing

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, New York
I use this
GUEST_a2837b55-0989-4a8b-9c58-ba2f6a8c7031
This is what I use, and there's no looking back.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
using any scrubber without it drying completely out is bad for your skin since it reintroduces bacteria to your body. I just use body wash.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Oh, to wash myself, you mean? No, I just use it to keep the shampoo out of my eyes when I wash my hair.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those "debates" that are always going to remain unresolved.

Here's the thing. Whether someone uses a washcloth, a loofah, or just their hands alone, people who shower with soap (or some substitute) will get clean. How one goes about doing that will depend on one's upbringing and culture. Yes, things like loofahs and washcloths have the potential to be misused and might not be great for some people with more sensitive skin, but for the most part, they will not do harm (or people wouldn't use it). For people who use bar soaps in particular, it makes a lot more sense, and even makes it economically smart for multiple people to be able to use the same bar. For people who only use their hands, your skin naturally exfoliates (though there are cases where manual exfoliation is helpful) and the soap (usually liquid) will take care of bacteria (though there are many helpful bacteria on the skin's surface you don't want to get rid of, either).

Every culture has routines or practices that might be out of comfort or not be suited to every context, but people need to reign in their ethnocentrism sometimes. So while calling people nasty isn't surprising, it's very short-sighted and lacks some needed self-reflection (because lord knows our world needs it). Step out of your well-lathered, soapy-ass bubbles.