• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you agree with Microsoft

• Yes I don’t mind, it’s a great idea

Votes: 103 53.1%
  • No I do mine, it’s a bad idea

Votes: 90 46.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think If they have say, 10 launch games - 3-5 of them should be Series X exclusives, and they should be BIG games.

Imagine if "Minecraft 2" was Series X exclusive. That would sell consoles lol.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
People who play games calling for less people to be able games so people are supposedly drawn to buying the new plastic box is an odd phenomenon.

And to the 'it won't push the boundaries crowd' already posting here. Developers have managed different build targets for decades, this scenario is no exception.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
As someone who'll end up getting both systems at some point, it means I can get a PS5 on launch and a XSX later, so purely because it's made that decision for me I'm all for it

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Very happy for it. Not everyone on my friends list will be buying a new $500 console regardless. I know a lot of people will be playing Halo on the Xbox One S. Now the community is given time to come over.

Early gen tech demos don't equate to great games. Now everyone on Game Pass can talk about the same games.

First year of the Xbox Series life cycle will feel like a half step or iterative console....which is what the first year of last gen felt like. Will be surprised if Playstation feels much different. Only difference is they'll be willing to share more of those next gen exclusives this year where Microsoft likely wont talk about them.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I actually dislike cross gen games. They really discourage me from purchasing the newer consoles since they aren't pushing the games to the max. Lowest common denominator.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I think it's great for the average person who plays games. Microsoft isn't suddenly forcing millions of consoles into being obsolete. People can use their current console as long as it can play the games, and then when it can't they can stream it through XCloud or decide to upgrade if they want to go that route instead. I highly doubt we'll be seeing any new One games come out as of, say, late 2021, but up until that point it gives people time to onboard onto the new generation.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I guess we'll see when Sony shows Horizon 2 and Microsoft shows one of their cross gen open world games how big of a difference it makes.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's smart. The money is in selling games, DLC and subscriptions, less so in hardware. Especially at/near launch when they're probably going to lose money on each u it sold.

With hardware being more standard Devs used to making games scaleable on PC and consoles (with the mid gen refreshes) there's no reason to not make as many games cross gen as possible. That just lets games, dlc and services reach as many consumers as possible. Even more so since they put their games on PC as well.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I think it is great! The more people to play games with, the merrier. 40 million vs 2 million by end of 2020 is quite a substantial pool of players to pull from. That isn't even counting our PC friends. 🤗

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of "this stuff will scale" comments in a lot of these discussions, but there are just certain things that cannot scale.

Maybe the scalability can apply to things like resolution or graphical fidelity. But things like physics, A.I., even how levels and maps are laid out can't be scaled down without a lot of headaches, resources, and corner-cutting. Things like the Nemesis system getting neutered in the PS3/360 versions of Shadow of Mordor comes to mind.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
Wait for the game reveals as it's too early to speculate if it's a good or bad idea right now. There are a lot of armchair developers spouting off a lot of nonsense in the other threads.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a fantastic idea. Software shouldn't be locked to physical platforms anyway and companies are capable of creating scalable games. The only thing exclusives are good for is to push hardware sales. It's not like they can't create next gen games that can also run on older hardware. I mean PC releases run on older hardware all the time. It seems kind of silly to think that in order to make the best looking games you have to be locked behind one platform.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's already a thread where this exact discussion can take place:

www.resetera.com

Matt Booty (Xbox): Our titles for the next year or two will not be next gen exclusive

Tried to paraphrase for the title, and searched for other threads saying this, but couldn’t find any. https://www.mcvuk.com/we-need-to-deliver-on-the-promises-that-we-make-xbox-game-studios-matt-booty-on-the-future-of-xbox/ Interesting strategy. Makes sense from an install base perspective...

A separate one isn't needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.