• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
No.

You should play Mooncrash though, I also was resistant to playing it initially but it's fantastic.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
Seeing games like Prey, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2 fail (?) financially has been the most painful thing to see for me. Those are all brilliant and are all in my favourite genre. I've played through Prey twice already, and I really find it very difficult to fault this game, personally. The only thing left for me now is waiting for System Shock Remake to be done and released, as I've never played the first one, and to wait for some new info on System Shock 2 remake. I vaguely remember there being some trouble regarding System Shock 3 too, so... It kinda sucks to be an immersive sim fan right now.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
The problem with Bethesda was they released 2 imsism in 2 years.

These games take time to get through, and (for me, at least), once I've played one to completion and exhausted the possibilities of how I wanted to mess with it, I need a change of genre, a "palate cleanser" , if you will.

DXMD was an amazing game that got completely screwed over by every terrible marketing decision Squeeenix could come up with- from the bizarr pre-order campaign (if we reach X number of pre-orders, we'll release the game early! Customize your pre-order package like it's a kickstarter!); to chopping up in-game missions as pre-order bonus, to selling one-une use booster items, to the bizarre multi-player mode filled with micro-transactions, whose relevance to the story isn't explained until the first DLC. The publisher clearly had no faith in the game, so they decided to milk the players in every single way they could think of--and this attracted middling review scores.

With Cyberpunk, Bloodlines 2, Dying Light 2 and the 2 System Shock games nearing completion, there's hope for imsism to make a comeback; I don't know about Arcane, though. We still don't know what kind of experience DeathLoop is, and whether it'll work as a single-player game; and with Human Head now part of Zenimax, it'd be an ultimate "dream game" PR coup for Bethesda to announce that the space bounty hunter game is coming back- though it probably wouldn't be part of the nu-Prey canon/universe, since nu-Prey is basically Arcane's take on System Shock. Human Head/Roundhouse is also one of the few studios familiar with idTech (which is why Zenimax wanted them in the first place), so any shooter they'd be making would probably go back to that engine, making it very distinct from Started or anything else Bethesda Game Studios cooks up in the Gamebryo/Creation.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
No and it's a shame. The DLC Mooncrash is in my top 3 best rogue-like game i have ever played

hmm i think they have a new game in work for release this year called Deathloop
Deathloop is being done by the Dishonored 2 team, minus Harvey Smith who has gone back to Texas to lead whatever the Prey team's next project is.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I'm surprised we even got Mooncrash.

I hope we get another immersive-sim Prey, it's one of my favourite games of the generation, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I think if Starfield is successful and its game mechanics are different enough from the cancelled Prey 2, then they could let Arkane tweak that unreleased game into a Starfield spin-off that focuses on bounty hunting. I'll likely be far more successful that way than if it's released as a Prey title.
If they wanted to give that game to Arkane they would have, now that Human Head is part of Bethesda under a different name they can just give it to them.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Prey was a phenomenal game and really scratched a particular itch I have in gaming of exploring a place where something bad has happened and slowly piecing together what it was through logs and shit.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Seeing games like Prey, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2 fail (?) financially has been the most painful thing to see for me. Those are all brilliant and are all in my favourite genre. I've played through Prey twice already, and I really find it very difficult to fault this game, personally. The only thing left for me now is waiting for System Shock Remake to be done and released, as I've never played the first one, and to wait for some new info on System Shock 2 remake. I vaguely remember there being some trouble regarding System Shock 3 too, so... It kinda sucks to be an immersive sim fan right now.

Yup. Looks like Arkane Lyon is giving it another go with Deathloop though, so they may give Prey another shot at Austin.

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
It was a really beautiful game. So was Dishonored.
I don't know what Arkane is doing but they are recruiting like crazy in their two studios (Austin and Lyon). Wouldn't surprise me to see a new Prey.
I think it's an easier sell than Dishonored for most gamers.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope and it's one of the best games this gen. The name is unfortunate. They should have went in more for the "shock" audience with the name. Instead they drew unnecessary ire from fans or the original Prey and used a name that told you nothing about the game itself. I also sadly just think the audience is limited for this sort of thing. People want to mindlessly fill xp bars and be told a story that makes them feel smart. They don't want to explore a world and put together the pieces on their own with a story that requires personal investment. Mass audiences also don't seem to appreciate an open combat system that allows for creativity and choice. That's why people get turned off by how miserable the game is when you just want to around shooting shit like every other fps game. I'm just glad we got this game, and sadly a sequel is too much to ask for when the general gaming audience doesn't want to think while playing their shoot bangs.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I would rather see Prey 2 from Human Head, to be honest. Sci-fi games about bounty hunters were so unlucky.

Robert

Nov 15, 2017
I don't think we will see Prey 2 for a while, but I do think we will see it. It has been noted in this thread and internet-wide somewhat that Bethesda has stepped up it's steps to monetise more of your playtime across the board in a bunch of their titles. I absolutely adore Arkane and I think Deathloop is going to be one of those more middling attempts to not only let Arkane do what Arkane does best, but in a more potentially 'commerically attractive' spin on what seems to be a more action-based Dishonored type game at the moment, with some type of co-op element (as tested with Wolfenstein: Youngblood). It's why DOOM Eternal has a 'free Battle Pass' level-up system to unlock free cosmetics, emblems, callings cards and other stuff for both the single-player and Battlemode. They want you to play more DOOM, because you want to play more DOOM. That's usually where they'd rope-in the Store with their UAC Coins for your Cacodemon Skins etc but they are not present in the DOOM Eternal (could you imagine the hellfire it would create). It's one of Bethesda's main swansongs this gen.

And on a broader perspective of where other sequels may be coming from, I do think we will see a break between some of these titles in the future and that's what ultimately leads me to believe we will see a third Dishonored eventually.

id will take a break from DOOM to potentially explore rebooting Quake, Machine Games will finish Wolf 3 and probably create a new IP. Arkane will release Deathloop, and then we'll probably see another IP from them before Dishonored 3 and then maybe we'd get a Prey 2. I just can't see them comitting to a second Prey so soon.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
One of my favorite games but it was too long. The final half was very weak and you are forced to rush through it. I also hated the Nightmare that would reappear.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
As much as I loved the game, no. I still joke that a sequel should be called

Prey II: Hell on Earth

The ending left such a bad taste and I wouldn't want them to do narrative gymnastics to make another Talos-1 instead of

making it open world like it would presumably be. I think part of what makes an 0451 game special is a setting that's a character in and of itself and I don't think any place on Earth that isn't some underground lab (a retread) would be as special.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Poor marketing? I'm not sure why some of their games sell so poorly? I loved Prey.
For whatever reason these "immersive sim" type games don't seem to have enough mass appeal to even be mild successes these days? Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2, Prey they all seem to have had underwhelming sales this gen and it's such a shame.

Honestly though, with Bethesda's seeming desire to make whatever they can of whatever IP they have I think we could get another Prey one day. Kind of feels like if we got a Rage 2 anything is possible.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
All I want is the concept for the original Prey 2 to resurface in one way or another. First person bounty hunting in space, sweet. Still bummed they decided to slap the Prey IP on a game that has nothing do with the franchise.
You realise that the original concept Prey 2 had absolutely nothing to do with the first game game as well?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You realise that the original concept Prey 2 had absolutely nothing to do with the first game game as well?

Same protagonist, same universe, and we don't yet know how deep they would have gone with the flashbacks, the recurring stuff and the easter eggs. It was gonna be their vision on how to expand a linear story like the one in Prey. Very different, sure, but the original creators' vision for it.

Prey by Arkane Studios was very obviously a game at no point affiliated with Prey, but as release got closer they slapped the name on it for brand recognition. A bit of a Super Mario 2/Doki Doki Panic situation or a Quake 2 situation.

And personally it isn't just about how related to the first Prey it would have been. What we saw from Prey 2 was extremely exciting to me, very different from any other first person game on the market in these years. While immersive sims aren't exactly a genre we get a triple-A game of every month, it's certainly a bigger market right now than what Prey 2 had going for it.

I don't hate Arkane's Prey per se, it's just that I'm still extremely bummed that what was the original Prey 2 may never see the light, and to throw salt in the wounds a new game called Prey did indeed come out - except it has nothing to do with the universe and it bombed quite hard, making it even harder to see a "real" Prey sequel down the line.

Few franchises got shafted as much as Prey. Such a long, convoluted development for the first game, with the work on it dying at one point and getting rebooted years later too. Scopes and ambitions changed a lot, and they could have beaten Portal to the punch by like a decade with the portal tech, but instead they launched after Portal was revealed already. Then the sequel was also going through hell, game got canned, studio had all kinds of troubles, then a completely different game was dubbed Prey instead and who knows if Human Head ever gets to work on a Prey game again after this flop. It's a bummer because everything with the name Prey on it seems to be cursed to be mismanaged in many ways.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I want a Thief clone by them in the TES universe.

Either Thieve's Guild or an assassin (a Shadowscale, Dark Brotherhood, Morag Tong... take your pick).

Oct 25, 2017
Prey was the standout game of this gen for me. Would be thrilled if they did a follow up but it doesn't sound likely to happen. The console demo seems to have turned off lots of people for whatever reason, which is a shame.