• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you think Sony & Microsoft will handle USB Type-C for the PS5 & Xbox Scarlet?

• USB-C all the things (both console & controller)

Votes: 521 48.9%
  • USB-C on console, Micro USB on controller

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • USB-A on console, USB-C on controller

Votes: 231 21.7%
  • No USB-C whatsoever

Votes: 32 3.0%
  • USB-C almost all the things, but leave one or two Type-A ports on the console for legacy accessories

Votes: 276 25.9%

• Total voters

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
With even Apple going for C on the new iPad it seems possible their phones might just ditch lightning and join suit in the next year or two.

It's about time hopefully. It's a pretty well future proofed standard that can charge, transmit data and video at high speed.. handy small and reversible form factor. Just get everything on USBC.

I'll be really disappointed if the new consoles don't just go all out for USB C. They're going to be getting used into 2026 or so, if they're still running type A or micro USB for controllers that's just silly.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I could see it although I don't know of any affordable flash drives or external hard drives with USB-C. That'll make it harder to store saves and downloadable content.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
We went from USB 2 to USB 3 this gen. USB C must be the standard next - after all, why wouldn't they do it?

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
We went from USB 2 to USB 3 this gen. USB C must be the standard next - after all, why wouldn't they do it?
The main sticking point is that USB-A is still used for many accessories, such as arcade sticks & console-specific USB headsets. We're starting to see the likes of Apple move away from USB-A on their laptops & now the charging cables of their iPad Pros (the iPhones may soon follow in a few years), but other computer manufacturers are still including both Type-A & Type-C ports on their products. Concerning USB 3.1 onwards, while Type-A ports can still support the speed, there are some features that are exclusive to Type-C (at least based on my research). In terms of future-proofing, it'd be best for Sony & Microsoft to fully embrace Type-C by dropping Type-A & Micro USB altogether. But it may be seen as moving too far into the future too quickly.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, can someone please explain to me the benefit of having USB-C for a controller? It seems like overkill to me.
The biggest benefit of USB-C for the user is the new connector which can be inserted any way. The secondary benefit is the USB PD standard which may mean considerably faster charging for controllers. There's a downside too though - top speed USB-C cables are ~2 meters long max - but if they'll use a lower speed transfer for controllers then such cables can be as long as USB-A ones.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
I don't think so because 90% of devices are USB-A... so the normal ports will be USB-A (the ones used to the controller).

Of course it could have one USB-C on back.

Menik

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Do people typically find C-Type stronger/more durable? Since the connector itself is very thin, I can imagine sloping it off the cord could be potentially damaging.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
As far as I can research there is no downside to have type-A USB 3.1 connectors on the device except size and having to use A to C cables to connect the controller. I assume just for looks they'll put a couple of type C connectors on the front and a couple of type A connectors on the back. I don't see Micro-B SS connectors being used on the controllers, and the old Micro-B connectors cap out at USB 2.0 so you give up fast charging.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
USB-C for all accessory/controller connectors.

Cables and dongles sold separately for legacy stuff are ubiquitous as is.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Of course, even the Switch has it for the system itself and the Pro Controller.

Wouldn't be surprised if it isn't all USB-C ports though.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
For peripherals, can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be other than just cost and backwards/forwards compatibility. A lot of people would be frustrated by not supporting USB-A at all, as so many legacy devices support USB-A. For something like a console, where space isn't really a concern, it doesn't make as much sense to opt out of USB A input support. On a controller, phone, tablet, or laptop, it makes a lot of sense as there's such a push for slimmer, lighter, unified designs. But, that doesn't exist as much on a TV-based console, which has no need for portability or a slim design, and as long as there's a hard disk and disc-based media, it's going to have a fairly large footprint (compared to say, a phone).

For display, though, I'd imagine they'll stick with HDMI out. Even if USB C is a perfectly suitable video output, there's widespread, broad support for HDMI, it's cheap, it's supported by everything going back ~10 years and going forward ~10 years, and even if you have USB-C to HDMI, it's a pretty niche wire that would frustrate a lot of non-enthusiasts.

My phone, laptop, and most new devices are USB C, and I love it... but I'm not like most consumers, who would be frustrated by not having the option to plug in a normal USB A stick. THey also don't even know something as "USB C" or "USB A," they know it as like "The old samsung plug" (micro USB) and "the new samsung plug" (USB C) vs. "the iphone plug" (lightning). I think most people don't even know that there is this thing called USB and it is a universal adapter standard that is overseen by a consortium of companies.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Of course. The golden future of everything using USB-C is coming.

But it should also have some USB-A slots for compatibility reasons

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
USB-C would be my guess. USB 3.1 Gen 2 allows them to use normal USB for many of the things they may want to add in the future (such as peripherals) instead of custom ports. Why would you have a Playstation VR 2.0 use a custom port when it can just use a USB-C cable?

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
USB-C is an amazing port and most companies are already shifting to it. On top of it, the EU forces all manufacturers from now on to switch to a universal standard and even Apple will soon remove lightning from iPhones (already doing it for Macs and iPads).

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. All we need are some USB-A ports and the rest can be C. Consoles can have C on the front with an A port and then have the other A ports on the back.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a type-C port near HDMI for people who want to use thunderbolt with the consoles.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take a mix of A and C, but whatever the case, please give us more. So ridiculous that I have to use an A extender to charge my controller and swap out to connect my flash drive to copy media. Other ports are being used for external storage and PSVR.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Type-A connectors can't use USB PD meaning that they will be limited to 1A of power output.

More than 1A are easily possible with A connectors, all kinds of phones do it. But why would it even be necessary for a console. The Dualshock has a pretty tiny battery.

USB C across the board please. Including the power, audio, video, controllers, and PSVR.

Power over USB would mean these consoles have external power supplies. I'd rather have an internal.

And it's not reasonable for video, as these consoles are intended to be used with TVs that have HDMI inputs.

It's halfway reasonable for audio: The PS4 already has USB audio support, the connector doesn't matter to this question.

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean at the very least, USB-C will be on the controller. We've seen the leaked nextgen Elite controller which will be released with Scarlett and that one has magnetic USB-C like the Macbook chargers

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I love C on paper but really wish they went with a more Lighting style connector than the one we got, feels so flimsy in comparison.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
At least for the PS5 I hope it has two USB-C ports to connect the newest controller and accessories and two USB-A ports to connect older stuff (external HDD, Platinum Headset, PS VR etc.)

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
USB-A on console, USB-C on controller. I'm actually quite confident in this one, and surprised by the low vote.

There's no reason to get rid of USB-A on console—they have the space, and it's what consumers are used to.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
It's hard for me to make any judgement when I'm not savvy on how much it would cost to incorporate C connections onto electronics products. Like, are the controller chips for C more expensive than the standard A/3.0 ones the PS4 currently has? What about the DS4?

Sony seems the most likely of the 3 companies to drag their feet on it and give us micro ports again but hopefully not.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
USB-A on console, USB-C on controller. I'm actually quite confident in this one, and surprised by the low vote.

There's no reason to get rid of USB-A on console—they have the space, and it's what consumers are used to.
The thing is that USB-C is eventually gonna replace USB-A, so it's a question of when we'll see the transition become more widespread.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Now that USB-C is confirmed for at least the DualShock 5, I thought it would be a good idea to revisit this thread. Do we expect the console side of things to follow suit & move to USB-C, or will the consoles themselves stick with USB-A?