MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Well, I only buy IW CODs for its campaigns, they nail characters and set pieces way better than all the others (they have a few turds tho).

Treyarch really tried with Black Ops but only the first one made some sort of sense to me. After that it went downhill.

I only played COD WW2 from Sledgehammer and I found it subpar at best.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Absolutely. I just wish they also had different games all together. I want a futuristic Call of Duty again :(

I was hoping with three teams they could all go in different direction with the themes but nope, they just piggyback off each other now and stick to boots on the ground.

Bring back that wall running.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Yes.

Sledgehammer's is closest to Medal of Honor/Old School CoD, not just in aesthetic. IW focuses on modern, semi-sci fi/fantastical stuff and big setpieces. Treyarch is grounded and the most MP oriented.

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
I was hoping with three teams they could all go in different direction with the themes but nope, they just piggyback off each other now and stick to boots on the ground.

Bring back that wall running.

It's going to stay that way unfortunately. With Warzone being the money maker, the multiplayer games won't deviate too far from the core gameplay.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Look how thirsty people usually are for Infinity Ward's games in comparison to the others.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really played a new cod game in a while (I mainly dropped off after black ops 3), but going from my experience in the 360 + early Xbox One days they definitely have a distinct style. I tended to prefer Treyarch's approach, mainly because i preferred the (admittedly more boring) 3 lane maps. You could also feel the different forks of the engines too.

franloradr

Jul 3, 2022
The last mission of cold war campaign is a master class, i didnt see anything like that even when the studio was at their best with Zampella

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Treyarch COD campaigns at least for World at war and black ops feel more dark and serious then IW. Their recent output has been disappointing campaign wose. Opposite with IW. Sledghammer feels like a mixture of the two.

Oct 25, 2017
The last mission of cold war campaign is a master class, i didnt see anything like that even when the studio was at their best with Zampella
And Cold War's campaign is mostly Raven.

I kinda wish Treyarch's campaign team got moved to other departments,
Raven handles Black Ops campaigns going forwards

Sledgehammer is put as support or removed from COD entirely.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
And Cold War's campaign is mostly Raven.

I kinda wish Treyarch's campaign team got moved to other departments,
Raven handles Black Ops campaigns going forwards

Sledgehammer is put as support or removed from COD entirely.
I'm also hoping that Raven continues to get the opportunity to make campaigns, Treyarch games or otherwise. Black Ops Cold War had my favorite campaign since Infinite Warfare.

Apr 23, 2018
They absolutely do. Each CoD feels and plays very different from one another. MW 2019 plays smoother then Black Ops Cold War for example. I also prefer Infinity Ward over Sledgehammer and Treyarch. Black Ops Cold War to me is the worst CoD ever made.

Stitch AU

Oct 29, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Absolutely have their own identity especially when it's comes to infinity ward and Treyarc.

I have enjoyed all the Treyarc games especially when it came to the multiplayer. Having said that, MW2019 and Infinite warfare are the two best campaigns since the xbox360/PS3 gen so IW certainly have that going for them.

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. I just wish they also had different games all together. I want a futuristic Call of Duty again :(
Yes, and this is also how I feel.

Treyarch has also had more gore and violence since WaW but the plots were fantastical.

Infinity Ward has has more grounded stories and often broad social commentaries. They even had main characters that had arcs. Referring to Infinite Warfare.

Sledgehammer makes ehhhhhh. Honestly, their games play like a big budget COD clone from the 2010s. Like medal of honor Warminster quality.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Treyarch and Infinity Ward absolutely, though they somewhat swapped places.

IW was the fun dumb Hollywood games for COD4-Ghosts.
Infinite Warfare was a fusion which is why it was nearly perfect.

Treyarch was the more grit and took itself more seriously,
now Treyarch games are more fun Hollywood while IW is serious and gritty to a detriment

Yup

Not a big CoD fan by any means, but Treyarch's maps are VASTLY better.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Wait which COD game is cartoony? I feel like I missed a whole thing.

Also yes, they definitely have different, recognizable styles. And I say this as not even a little bit of a COD fan.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Between IW and Treyarch there's a pretty noticeable shift in design philosophy.

IW tends to play things more like an action movie with a slightly more serious tone. Treyarch tends to entertain more fantastical elements with a bit of camp thrown in now and again, which makes sense when you consider they're the ones who invented Nazi Zombies.

I remember back in the day Treyarch was somewhat notorious for making all of their multiplayer maps "3 Lane Maps", whereas IW experimented with more open map designs and introduced a lot more verticality.

Sledgehammer is kind of the odd-one out, they've spearheaded 3 Call of Duty Games. Advanced Warfare, WWII and Vanguard (and done notable work on pretty much all titles since MW3). The only thing WWII and Vanguard share is a time period, they don't play anything alike and Advanced Warfare is probably the most "gimicky" CoD to ever come out...it's also probably the most polarizing, some people loved it, a lot of people hated it.

Wait which COD game is cartoony? I feel like I missed a whole thing.

Also yes, they definitely have different, recognizable styles. And I say this as not even a little bit of a COD fan.
Black Ops 3 was super cartoony, it was a globetrotting adventure with cyborg people and the train level is somewhat infamous for being silly to the point of almost self-parody.

This was also the first CoD game to really REALLY lean in hard to the goofy cosmetics in Multiplayer. By the end of the games lifecycle you had people running around as clowns, cowboys, zombies, etc. That's pretty par for the course these days, but it was a pretty major shift for CoD at the time.

Last edited:

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
Yea absolutely, Treyarch vs IW is a very distinct difference. I think Treyarch's games have the superior gameplay (especially for more comp-style play), but IW usually does better with the graphics and animations. Sledgehammer is a mix between the two, but they have their own feel as well. When I was playing Cold War I could tell what parts of the multiplayer came from Sledgehammer and what parts were finished by Treyarch

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how many leads depart from each studio after every game, and considering that like 20 studios make each game - no, I wouldn't say so.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely feel different. I will only by IW-made CoD games because they're the only entries that feel really polished to me.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
They 100% do. Treyarch games always feel like they cater to the most garbage of garbage skins and crossovers while IW always feels more grounded, realistic, ''tactical''

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how many leads depart from each studio after every game, and considering that like 20 studios make each game - no, I wouldn't say so.
Funny youd say that because that actually makes it even more distinct
COD4 & MW2 - super fun Hollywood Call of duty, tight maps, every weapon overpowered makes everything balanced(besides One Man Army the OG IW didn't patch before leaving)
MW3 - more of the same or trying to replicate it, not horrendous but a serious step down

Ghosts - still trying to replicate previous games, none of the heart, fanbase despised map design

Infinite Warfare - Naughty Dog employees join and lead the campaign, pretty serious and heavy. Multiplayer again has no vision so Activision has them copy and paste BO3's successful multiplayer.
Modern Warfare 2019 - Naughty Dog designers once again go for a super serious and gritty campaign(this time feels like a pathetic COD4 remake with the awe and fun sucked out) Multiplayer is back but now its terrible map remakes and them trying to copy some of Treyarch's arcadeness(jumping, sliding, etc)

Treyarch had good campaigns, campaign team changed we got BO3's one of the franchise worst.
So bad Activision cancelled multiple iterations of BO4's campaign.
Raven leads Cold War(BO5) brings a lead writer of BO1 and BO2 back and sets it between those and heavily inspired by them.
One of the 2 best since BO2.
Cold War Multiplayer's only issue was it was rushed and covid made loads of issues, it plays and looks like every Treyarch MP from BO1(Treyarch also likes the 1 new OP weapon to rule them all till the next DLC gun philosophy which is pretty bullshit)

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
oh definitely.

I prefer Infinity Ward overall but Treyarch make zombies. Each developer brings something unique to their version of CoD. There's a lot of untapped talent with all the studios. I can't wait/hope that they get a chance to make their own thing eventually.