• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
MS is already advertising how quiet their next gen consoles are and they have a great track record on this aspect from the xbox one.

Sony on the other hand has made notoriously noisy consoles this gen. They did not address this with the pro.

Do you think PS5 will be quiet?

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
I hope so - it seems so random whether your PlayStation is noisy or not. Mine certainly sounds like it is trying to take off though.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I think the big thing about Sony is that they seem to value design and space/appearance over full functionality. It may be due to limited living space in some parts of Japan, but I think Sony's consoles look great and fit perfectly at the cost of noise. OG PS3 model excepted.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Not really, no. I think they'll focus on power and form factor first, I doubt they'll spend a lot of time and money on quiet cooling.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Apart from playing God of War and Star Wars Battlefront, my PS4 Pro is surprisingly quiet — you can only hear a gentle blow/hum of the fans from time to time.

Granted this was the model that came out last year, the one that was supposedly fixed, so I would love to be able to actually hear a PlayStation 4 that sounds as noisy as my launch Xbox 360 did in its twilight years!

Obviously it is a fairly widespread issue, and hopefully Sony are ensuring that the PlayStation 5 as quiet as possible. I also hope they do away with the light bar too; too distracting when we are watching a film.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
My PS4 was really noisy so I tended to agree with people that Sony needs to get their shit together, it was only after I opened my console to fix the disk drive that I realised the issue is just related to dust build up.

Man was there a lot of dust, but I blasted it all away with compressed air. It's nowhere near as loud when playing games like RDR2 and GOW now. Maybe we should just take care of our consoles better?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
My PS4 was really noisy so I tended to agree with people that Sony needs to get their shit together, it was only after I opened my console to fix the disk drive that I realised the issue is just related to dust build up.

Man was there a lot of dust, but I blasted it all away with compressed air. It's nowhere near as loud when playing games like RDR2 and GOW now. Maybe we should just take care of our consoles better?

My PS4 Pro absolutely screamed when playing Death Stranding. I opened it up, replaced the thermal paste, blew out all the dust, and it made very little difference, if any. Meanwhile, my Xbox One X is still as whisper quiet as the day I got it. Maybe Sony should just make consoles that handle cooling better.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I hope so. I don't play on my PS4 Pro much these days since getting my gaming PC, but when I do it's the first thing I notice. It's annoying as hell.

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
I am sitting on the couch in front of my fiancée's PS4 Pro as she has it paused on BL3. I can confirm it sounds like a plane preparing for takeoff.

Mine also does this. Every one of my regular PS4s and those of my brother did this.

Meanwhile I am on an Xbox One playing Civ VI and I cannot hear anything coming from it. Both the S and X models are so much quieter.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Doing what you did, until like a year or two ago, voided the warranty on a lot of electronics, so no, it's not a matter of just taking care of things better. Most of these products aren't designed around consumers ever getting into their nooks and crannies.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden

Why would a PS4 become a lot dustier than an Xbox One if they're in the same environment? All my Xbox Ones have been dead quiet, my PS4 is really loud and always has been.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Sony really likes using a single small fan. They need a larger lower rpm fan like one x has.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I must be partially deaf as I never hear any crazy noises coming from my Pro. Got my S next to it and can barely tell the difference. Obviously it's an issue for some though so they should be looking into it for their next console.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My PS4 was really noisy so I tended to agree with people that Sony needs to get their shit together, it was only after I opened my console to fix the disk drive that I realised the issue is just related to dust build up. Man was there a lot of dust, but I blasted it all away with compressed air. It's nowhere near as loud when playing games like RDR2 and GOW now. Maybe we should just take care of our consoles better?
You're right about dust being the most common culprit - even the One X is affected - but cleaning the heat pipe of a Pro isn't that easy, and requires to reapply thermal paste.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
They might have to decide between noise and pulling the PSU out, and they usually go with the former.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why would a PS4 become a lot dustier than an Xbox One if they're in the same environment? All my Xbox Ones have been dead quiet, my PS4 is really loud and always has been.

That indeed sounds bad. Always worth a try opening it up though if it's no longer under warranty. Consensus is that Xbox hardware is quieter though so Sony definitely have to work on that for next gen.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don´t care how ugly or large the console is as long as it´s quiet this time. My Pro is trash.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
That indeed sounds bad. Always worth a try opening it up though if it's no longer under warranty. Consensus is that Xbox hardware is quieter though so Sony definitely have to work on that for next gen.

I don't think it's something wrong with tbh. It's just a standard PS4 and they are generally pretty loud. It sounds just like every PS4 I've ever heard. It's not on PS3 levels but it's still annoying.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I certainly hope so my goodness it's one of the biggest complaints about the ps4 and pro, they would be straight ignoring their customers if they didn't

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I hope so. If they don't I'll just get every multiplatform game on the Xbox. Playing RDR 2 on my Slim is very annoying sometimes.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Not really, although it would be nice.

I remember reading pre-launch that the PS4 was going to be quiet and how it's thermal solution was improved over the PS3. Same about PS4 Pro over PS4.

My systems have never been *that* bad but they were/are certainly audible under load. Technically my launch PS4 Pro is pretty quiet when running games that don't have Pro support. My PS3 Slim was also pretty quiet until recently.

I am super picky with my PC about noise because sometimes I can't stand any noise when I am working but I can deal with a bit when I am playing a game.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think the big thing about Sony is that they seem to value design and space/appearance over full functionality. It may be due to limited living space in some parts of Japan, but I think Sony's consoles look great and fit perfectly at the cost of noise. OG PS3 model excepted.
Agreed and it hasn't hurt their market share so why change now?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No they'll make PS5 sound like a rocket taking off rather than a jet. They want to show that PS5 will be significantly noisier than PS4, it needs to be generational upgrade on noise. It will probably wake up the whole neighbor, can't wait

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
You can open the top lid of Pro without voiding warranty. With some pressure it just pops off and gives you access to fan etc.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I spent the early part of this generation still living my decade-long gaming monitor only life, so I sat relatively close to my consoles and could hear fan noise very easily, even with over-ear headphones on.

Got a big TV for the living room in 2017, both my launch Pro and X can audibly still be heard working their fan annoyingly even over my Atmos soundbar.

It's a massively annoying issue for me. I hope that both PlayStation and Xbox have it sorted out next gen.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, 'low noise' seems to be one of these factors that most(!) consumers consider 'nice to have' but don't really base their purchases around. Myself included.

Like, all other things equal, of course i'd go for the sleeker, smaller, quieter system - but there's so many other factors, like snappy UI, first party games lineup, etc. that will influence my purchase decision before we even get to the fan noise.
Like, sure, if God of War makes my PS4 Pro sound like a jet engine, that sucks, but i'm still playing God of War in a 'close to 4k' resolution... something no other console than the PS4Pro has to offer.

I certainly hope Sony will manage to make a console that performs well but doesn't sound like a jet engine. But when Holiday 2020 hits I'll simply purchase the console with the better launch lineup / more attractive games slated for 2021, simple as that.

I'd love to go with two (3, if you include the Switch) consoles for multi-plats next gen. But Microsoft isn't making it easy for me with the Series X' bulky design ...

But Microsoft certainly raised the bar showing what's doable with the One X. Making the most powerful console that is also smaller than the Pro and more quiet. So Sony really doesn't have an excuse anymore.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
My launch PS4 and launch Pro were/are loud, it's annoying. Like others have said, I'll take a larger form factor if it means better cooling and quieter

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They have to. Some people, myself included will want to actually hear from them that it is more or less silent.

I'm not laying down any cash on ps5 until I know this is the case.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
It's been talked about a lot, hopefully they took it into consideration a bit more this time around.