OP
OP
TheRealTalker

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So must believe MS is going to continue course with their two SKU models. One that is more powerful, while the other is more affordable.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
So must believe MS is going to continue course with their two SKU models. One that is more powerful, while the other is more affordable.
I think it hinges on the ARM decision they made in Jan-Feb this year. If they are not going ARM, I would say for sure they are going 2 SKUs. ARM would complicate these predictions imo.

EDIT: The ARM slide form the leaked Xbox FTC docs for reference:
EajkerR.png

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think overall it's been successful for them, well at least more successful than the alternative, so yes.

Stoppabl3

May 26, 2022
Isn't that basically what's happening now with the Series S?
The current "S" is underpowered. My idea is that the next gen "S" would be comparable to the PS6 in power level and have the X be the outlier. I believe that MS claimed that the X was their pro console, if that's the case they should increase the delta between the two for next gen.

Selfishly, this is what I actually want but I understand why they don't do it. They can't create and sell the XSX at high enough quantitites and my ask is to make a truly high-end device at like $800? I don't think there is a big market for that, but I would buy it in a second. I think Xbox has the data as well and that's partially why they aren't doing the mid-gen refresh. Although, I think the mid-gen refresh caters to that same group (me) and does have extra benefits like better BC for the next-gen and a mindshare halo effect. I don't know that a world where the S and X were: S-base-$500, X-fancy-$800, would be better for them in the current gen. In fact, probably much much worse.

And then you truly price places like Brazil out of the consoles altogether with that strategy. It seems they are trying to do that with their CURRENT strategy as well tho.
I agree with your logic but I see Nvidia GPUs fly off the shelf's at unprecedented prices and nothing makes sense to me anymore. I truly think there's a demand for a ultra premium console with little compromises, the discourse around the PS6 pro is one of many examples. MS had the right idea with the original Xbox, the power it had gave the console a distinct niche in the industry dominated by the PS2.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
The current "S" is underpowered. My idea is that the next gen "S" would be comparable to the PS6 in power level and have the X be the outlier. I believe that MS claimed that the X was their pro console, if that's the case they should increase the delta between the two for next gen.

I agree with your logic but I see Nvidia GPUs fly off the shelf's at unprecedented prices and nothing makes sense to me anymore. I truly think there's a demand for a ultra premium console with little compromises, the discourse around the PS6 pro is one of many examples. MS had the right idea with the original Xbox, the power it had gave the console a distinct niche in the industry dominated by the PS2.
Some days I agree with you and some days I don't. Like, I waver on this issue. I know my personal preference and bias for the high-end console approach is probably clouding some of my judgement, so it's hard for me to say. I think you make good points, though.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The strategy has not worked in the way they (and fans) had hoped but it's definitely "saved" them from selling even fewer consoles this gen so far.

If they go down the same road again, they must find a way to do so much less to the detriment of those that build the games.

Nov 19, 2019
I think they'll go 2, but way index on the S equivalent next year.

IIRC Microsoft has an internal mandate/culture/something that they want to have the "most powerful" hardware each generation. So in my mind that means there will certainly be an X.

But the realities of the current gen are showing that the S is their bread and butter (and baseline), but it was absolutely marketed as the alternative console to begin with.

I expect them to lean into "we just released the Pro model early" dialogue that they have piloted with the Series, but like...actually mean it next time.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure they will go for two skus. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to develop something more balanced between power and cost. Series S has sold really well despite it's lack of power but it sure has frustrated developers trying to balance between it and series x/ ps5.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yes, to help differentiate themselves from Sony by having a low-cost entry for their ecosystem. I think, if anything, them only having the Series X would have cratered sales even more (regardless of the stock issues); the Series S is saving Microsoft in this case.

Hmm?

www.tomshardware.com

Desktop GPU Sales Lowest in Decades: Report

Nvidia continued to dominate in Q2 2023 amid inventory correction, says Jon Peddie Research.

Nvidia continued to dominate the market with an 84% market share. It supplied approximately 5.29 million discrete graphics processors for desktop computers, its worst result on the desktop market in many years.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
Why do I have it in my mind that when MS announced the Series X/S that they were touting it as no more generations and it would be like upgrading it like a computer. Is that from GiantBomb or some other journalist?

With this mindset, curious if they will release a new more powerful one and a slimmed up Series X so they have two SKU but not have to make two new products.

That's sort of how they originally sold it. Xbox One and Series controllers are cross-generational and so is the OS.

However, we never ended up getting any Xbox One X exclusives (as in on Series X|S and One X but not One S) so generations still seem to be a thing.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
But this would go against the cheaper, underpowered setup they current have.

Why do that when they could just make one console comparable in power? Another more powerful version day one gets one upped with a mid gen refresh from Sony. Like what may happen soon.

Then whats MS's answer?

Tech advances. IMO it would be a waste to do an even more powerful console day one. Like how MS thought the XSX was their mid gen refresh....which is still wild to me.

Its an interesting situation thats for sure.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, they won't do it again. One powerful console.

They might 'officially' partner with some portable hardware as the best option for gamepass or something like that.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'd honestly be very surprised if they didn't tbh. It's been successful enough for them as is and consumers won't take kindly to removal of options

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I think that depends on how good the PS5 Pro will be supported and how many Xbox fans will beg MS to release something similar.

I can't believe that MS would want a reality where Sony can always brag in their marketing how much better their versions of games are.

GTA VI alone would be such a pr disaster for MS if sony gets Rockstar to support the Pro day 1.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Probably? Part of the reason for the S in 2020 is they didn't believe they would see the cost of the Series X come down in a way to allow them to have a $299 console. I don't see that changing in 2028 especially with each major node change costing more overall rather than seeing a reduction of costs like we used to in the past due to the increased wafer costs and yields not significantly improving.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I think that depends on how good the PS5 Pro will be supported and how many Xbox fans will beg MS to release something similar.

I can't believe that MS would want a reality where Sony can always brag in their marketing how much better their versions of games are.

GTA VI alone would be such a pr disaster for MS if sony gets Rockstar to support the Pro day 1.

If Microsoft were going to release something like the Pro, it will be in the works already, they won't magic up a response, that's impossible. I think they won't bother, it's over, complete waste of their time and effort.

They need to concentrate all their bandwidth on next gen and their studio output. People will switch, just have to make it appealing, a Pro console will do absolutely nothing for them this generation, the ship has sailed, games are what will turn heads and they can still do that all the time.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how anyone can say this strategy is clearly working while Xbox continues to lose market share. All the Series S has done is further devalue the Xbox brand to the point where people will only consider buying an Xbox at all is if it's significant cheaper than a PlayStation. I'm a series S owner btw.

Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
With FSR/DLSS, Cloud Streaming, and a boat load of AI/Raytracing/assistance cores, a lower powered second SKU won't be nearly as hampered as the current Series S is when trying to run more demanding games. The scaling is getting easier, so I do definitely think they will continue this pattern.

These are the save reasons the Switch 2 will be a much larger pain in the butt for Sony and Microsoft as well, as it should be a much more viable 3rd party option

Will Law

Feb 5, 2021
I think the Series S made sense as a 1080P (or sometimes lower) machine when not everyone has a 4k TV. Not sure that will still be the case in 2028.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
They will probabaly stick to dual model on release. Maybe one will be a Game Pass handheld though.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
I don't understand how anyone can say this strategy is clearly working while Xbox continues to lose market share. All the Series S has done is further devalue the Xbox brand to the point where people will only consider buying an Xbox at all is if it's significant cheaper than a PlayStation. I'm a series S owner btw.

People argue their market share without the S would be even worse.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Not sure, too early to tell.

I'm still curious to see how the Series S will hold up during the final 2-3 years of this generation.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Definitely, as long as the lower model can run the games the premium model can. It will continue on. If anything the lower model becomes even cheaper for a cloud-streaming system/dongle or something. The diehard fanbase can still get the premium experience with the more expensive system, while the casual public that just want to play the game can still game with the cheaper version

Andromeda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Platform Warring; History of the Same
No. Why would they want to repeat their biggest failure? They will copy what PS5 is doing this gen. One digital SKU with optionnal disc drive.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
i think it depends on how the chips shape up.

If you can get adequate performance by switching to ARM I see them releasing a console and a handheld at the same time.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Maybe even 3 lol

- Cloud
- S version
- X version

Maybe. Though it seems they had a streaming device planned this gen (on the shelf behind Phil Spencer in one of his videos etc) and scrapped it.

Not sure there's a big enough maker for an Xbox streaming box when most people have smart TVs, Rokus or other streaming boxes/sticks, smartphones/tablets they can just put an Xbox streaming app on.

Definitely think they'll have at least two though as a cheaper console is good for the 2nd console market, lower income countries etc.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No: having to juggle 2 APUs was a mistake.

Should have had 1 console engineered in such a way that they could do price promotions without taking a bath on every unit sold and be able to at least break even on MSRP shortly into the generation. It also means not needing to worry about how many of each console they need to make to meet demand. Mainstream consumers aren't daft, they know the Series S is underpowered relative to the other offerings as such trying to pincer Sony on price failed. The data is conclusive now and we know that consumers are willing to pay a bit more for something they know is more powerful.

beebop

May 30, 2023
Yeah I think so, although they'll learn a bit about how to scale things from this gen.

The Series S has been great, though. It's a solid little box, but more importantly for me it means a more continued period of performance modes on the higher end consoles.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I probably wouldn't have bought an XSS if not for the price, but coupled with Game Pass, it proved to be tremendous value. I would buy another value-focused XBOX console in the future as a means to access Game Pass.

Stoppabl3

May 26, 2022
Yes, to help differentiate themselves from Sony by having a low-cost entry for their ecosystem. I think, if anything, them only having the Series X would have cratered sales even more (regardless of the stock issues); the Series S is saving Microsoft in this case.

Hmm?

www.tomshardware.com

Desktop GPU Sales Lowest in Decades: Report

Nvidia continued to dominate in Q2 2023 amid inventory correction, says Jon Peddie Research.
Of course there have been highs and lows, but no one can deny that Nvidia has been distributing successful with their new pricing model.

For whatever reason, people want the most powerful consumer tech they can afford. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the next 599 dollar console next generation.

Iztok

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They kind of have to since they're not able to compete as well in the "regular" tier.
I wish they didn't have to do this, however. Even though I own 3 XSS... They're very useful.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the people actually buying their consoles like it, so makes sense.

Maybe need to do a better job optimizing specs for the lower tier scaling as lots of developers seem to be in unison that they missed the mark in regard to memory this time around.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they change their approach. Ideally it'd be one powerful consoled and then a cheap streaming-based alternative. That way developers wouldn't have to work around such a weak baseline platform for a whole generation.