Nov 17, 2020
I'll be honest, I expected way more copies sold than what it actually happened. Last time we had an update(fall 2020), we were told the game sold about 5 million copies.

Don't get me wrong, 5 mil is a great number but this is the most requested game in history(as far as I know at least). Even FFXV sold more than 9 million copies, so it seems really weird to me that FF7R stayed in the 5-6mil region. I thought it would do at least 10mil. If I add to the equation that it has one of the best battle systems I've ever seen in my life, then I don't know what to think.

What's your take Era? Do you think the PS5 update (which is amazing I might add) will give it another sales boost? Is this number enough to ensure another rich production for the new parts?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It sold enough to make the Sony money for exlcusivity acceptable, but I don't see a scenario where SE also didn't want to have sold more copies.
It's FFVII, they've been milking that franchise since 1997.

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
Its a small part of a multi game remake, I think 5 million for one part is serviceable, especially being only on two platforms, one of which is nigh inaccessible

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
5 million copies is quite good so yes. Future parts will sell less and less though

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day, remakes will always have a smaller potential market penetration than entirely new games. FFVII has a lot of very loud fanboys but there are also just as many FF fans who don't like VII that much or don't care enough about it to shell out $60 for the first four hours of the PS1 game flooded with filler to justify a full price release.

Even VII is not an FF game beloved by EVERYONE.

Wasn't FFXV on every platform under the sun? Makes sense that it would sell more than a console exclusive.

Its PC port was a full year after the PS4/XB1 launch. But it absolutely contributed to XV having a wider reach, yes.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's not up to Era to decide whether or not a game is a sales success. We're not the ones running Square Enix, setting forecasts or doing the company's finances. We have no reason to believe it was a failure though.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
FF7R was never going to outsell (or become a phenomenon like) the original, but it seems to have done well enough for Square Enix to continue milking making content for and adjacent to it.

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Sony extend exclusivity on it? Seems like they're okay with how it sold.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I expected way more copies sold than what it actually happened. Last time we had an update(fall 2020), we were told the game sold about 5 million copies.

Don't get me wrong, 5 mil is a great number but this is the most requested game in history(as far as I know at least). Even FFXV sold more than 9 million copies, so it seems really weird to me that FF7R stayed in the 5-6mil region. I thought it would do at least 10mil. If I add to the equation that it has one of the best battle systems I've ever seen in my life, then I don't know what to think.

What's your take Era? Do you think the PS5 update (which is amazing I might add) will give it another sales boost? Is this number enough to ensure another rich production for the new parts?

To see if a game is a success you have to take into account more than units sold .
Still SE seem to be happy and they even made some DLC so i guess it work out good for them .

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
but this is the most requested game in history(as far as I know at least).

giphy.gif

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Didn't some journalist tell us that it spld so well that Square expanded the scope of the next game?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Yes. FF7R just didnt get updated sale numbers and FFXV took multiple years to get to that number. And "even FFXV" is kind of a weird take as well, but that's a different topic.

SE is pretty closed about sales so we will prob never know hard numbers, but I swear we saw reputable people saying it was such a sucess they increased the budget for the second one.

edit:

I think outside of FFXIV1.0 there isn't a single mainline FF that underperformed. Which is quite impressive.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I assume Sony moneyhat + future sales on PC will more than make up for it not being a huuuuuuuge seller on PS4.

Hell, I assume they got a pretty penny for putting it on PS+

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's a huge failure in my opinion.

I expect each subsequent part to sell even less than the previous one.

They were way too ambitious with this remake, and they'll end up regretting it that's for sure.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
When did the concept of sales success become a subjective, opinionated topic?

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
We have no idea what the budget was or what Square-Enix's sales ambitions were so how could anyone possibly answer this?

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, it sold very well and will no doubt move a lot more on the PS5 as well. Even those who just upgraded their versions will be at least forking over the $20 for the stellar DLC.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
SE considered a success.. all these hot takes lol..

Imran said:
They're actually so happy with the sales that it expanded the scope (note: this does not necessarily mean length or number of games) after the first game's release.

from this thread:

www.resetera.com

After the disappointing Final Fantasy 7R sales, how will Part 2 be impacted?

SquareEnix Q1 report shows a disappointing start for FF7Remake. - In Japan, remake stands with less than

Not sure the next parts will sell less either because the next part is going (semi) open world.. and gaming audiences love open world games.

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
Probably tough to say since there was an article last year that had SE losing ~50M fuelled by the catastrophic failure that was Avengers which at the time sold around 3M copies on 2 platforms while having a budget of 170+Marketing. They got FFVII-R out relatively quickly compared to say FFXV so I'm sure they consider it a success.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
It's been quite a while since that most recent sales figure, so it's probably sold a fair bit more than that, and hard to argue that it's not a success, even if it caps out at 5 million copies. But I do wonder how many people are waiting for it to be "finished" before buying in. Personally, I'm planning to wait until the final entry comes out and they eventually package it all together. Granted, that may be a long wait and they may never even do that depending on how quickly they can get the other episodes out.

So while I'd definitely argue its a success, I do wonder how impactful the episodic nature of its releases will ultimately be.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It did great. FF and jRPG aren't that big anymore.

Also the most requested by who? Because vocality doesnt mean anything. The people that buy the biggest anual blockbusters don't request these games.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Sony paid for exclusivity on release, a year after release for Intergrade and also the PS Plus release. Square was confident enough to do that so I'm not too worried about hard numbers.

This game was a critical and commercial success regardless on your feelings about how it was made and handled.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Generally, if a company puts out sales figures, it's because they're happy with the sales figures. It doesn't really matter how you feel or whether you think something should sale more relative to the success of the title.

MasonADC

Sep 28, 2018
Why does it matter if we consider it a success, didn't square say it was a success? That is what matters

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
The PS5 version just launched, and they might be ported to other systems down the line.

Plus, if you add the sales of all the parts in the end, it will be the best selling Final Fantasy title ever /s

Modi

Oct 29, 2017
FF15 .. +5 million first day .. +6 million after 1 month (last update +9 million)
FF7R .. +3.5 million first 3 days .. +5 million after 5 months (no update after that)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
SE considered a success.. all these hot takes lol..

from this thread:

www.resetera.com

After the disappointing Final Fantasy 7R sales, how will Part 2 be impacted?

SquareEnix Q1 report shows a disappointing start for FF7Remake. - In Japan, remake stands with less than

Not sure the next parts will sell less either because the next part is going (semi) open world.. and gaming audiences love open world games.
Lmao that this was even a question in the first place