• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do You Replay Games To Prepare For Their Sequel?

• Always

Votes: 19 3.2%
  • Varies From Game-To-Game

Votes: 377 63.4%
  • Never

Votes: 179 30.1%
  • I Watch YouTube Recaps For Refreshment

Votes: 20 3.4%

• Total voters

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm replaying through the Ace Attorney Trilogy right now in build up for Great Ace Attorney.

I'm also trying to get through all the Kingdom Hearts before doing 3. Up to Chain of Memories Another Side Another Story... yeah I've been a bit distracted on that one.

OP
OP
Grunty

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I don't even have the time to finish most games I start, yet alone replay them. Could likely count the number of games I've replayed since the PS3/360 era on 1 hand. It's tough to comprehend people having the free time to replay massive open world games or RPGs that are 40+ hours in length. Must be nice!

Those are the primary games I just can't see myself ever playing through again, unless it's a remaster or remake. I played through Spider-Man Remastered before Miles Morales, but even then I didn't bother doing every little thing like collecting the backpacks, kingpin stuff, etc. I started to and then stopped myself with the mindset of "why am I doing this? I did all of this already with the original game. I'll just stick to the campaign and the DLC I never played".

Like you and many others have said, time constraints is the biggest issue. I replayed through Resident Evil 7 and its DLC before Village, but it's not very time consuming as it's pretty short to get through. As much as I love BoTW, I just can't bare the thought of going through it again. But if it were the size and length of something like Ocarina of Time, I wouldn't even think twice. I'd be all over it.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No. Mostly because franchises are typically very similar in gameplay and the last thing I want to do is fatigue myself on the first game right when the second is about to release. If I REALLY need a recap (rarely ever do) I'd sooner watch a YouTube video analysing the story or something.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Depends on the series. I'm doing it for Metroid because quite frankly, there aren't THAT many games, and a lot of them can be ran through pretty fast.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I voted never, but the right answer would be "almost never".

I do it rarely enough that I can only recall doing it once: I've replayed RE7 before the release of RE8. I did it mostly because 1) I wanted to try "madhouse" difficulty (I liked it); 2) I haven't played End of Zoe dlc before, so figured I'll replay the base game and then play the dlc.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how much I like the game - replayed TLOU before 2. Going to replay GOW before Ragnarok. Played TWEWY in preparation for 2.

But games I don't really care for (i.e. Ratchet) I'll play Rift Apart but feel no need to play the PS4 one.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Usually not, but it depends on the game. I'm trying to think of recent examples.

I can't remember if I did this for The Last of Us Pt. II, but the original was very fresh in my mind for my first playthrough, so I think I must have played the remaster within a few months of the sequel.

I probably won't replay anything for the next God of War or Horizon game. I might replay Final Fantasy VII Remake before the second part, but mostly because I love that game so much that I'll take any excuse to revisit it periodically.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I've done it a few times but I almost never do. I have too many games to make that even a semi-frequent thing.

Oct 25, 2017
When I do I find it adds little and may even do more harm than good in burning me out. So I try not to. But sometimes I fall for it.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Varies by how much I liked the prior game, how long it is and how long it's been since I played it/how much I remember.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I usually like to, yeah, but whether I actually do or not varies on the time commitment required and how recently I played the first game.

So for Halo Infinite, I haven't played the Halo games in a good while, I'll almost certainly go through those when I get my Series X to prep for Infinite, and same with A Plague Tale Requiem as well. As God of War 5's release date approaches, I'll almost certainly go through 4 and maybe the trilogy as well depending on how I'm feeling at the time.

But for something like Judgement, I don't think I'll be playing through the first game again before Lost Judgement

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on a game. If a game was good but dragged for too long (see any of recent AC games basically) then no, I won't replay it prior to playing the sequel.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Never.

1. Not enough time
2. Don't want to trigger franchise fatigue

Last time I played similar games back to back was with the first few Assassin's Creed games.
The general consensus is that the Ezio saga is some of the best the franchise has to offer but I just couldn't really enjoy most of it because I was bored by playing these games back to back.
I only got back into the franchise with AC IV and dropped it again until Origins. Haven't touched Odyssey and Valhalla because it's only been a few years since I've played Origins and I still feel like I had my fill for another while.
I think I'd jump back in if the next setting was Japan or South America.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Rarely replaying, but I will try to catch up with a series before the latest entry launches.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Often yes. Unless it's recent in memory, but I like to see the changes and progression in design.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
No, but I often won't play a game until a sequel is announced. I did it for Axiom Verge and ended up finding it fantastic, and I just picked up FAR: Lone Sails since a sequel got announced.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I always worry I'll burn out by playing the previous game(s) in a lead-up to the new one, so I (ALMOST) never do this.
Yup, this is what I was gonna say. I intentionally avoid replaying games even though I sometimes really feel like it, just so that I'll appreciate and enjoy the sequel even more.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Replay? Not necessarily (due to lack of time), but if it's part of a series I haven't played, I'm likely to play the game(s) that came before it. Doing that now with Far Cry 6 by playing 5 to familiarize myself with it (and it was hard to say no w/ the recent EGS/coupon sale).

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
It depends. I did it with Kingdom Hearts to get ready for KH3 (even played re:Coded on my 3DS.... would not recommend. Ever. ) and I played through TLoU in preparation for part 2... but I'm not about to play through the entire Zelda franchise before BotW2 or revisit every Final Fantasy again before XVI drops.

Though I will probably go to a hot topic every day for a week to get myself in the right headspace for Final Fantasy Origin. Killing chaos is gonna need all the teenage edge I can find.

Oct 27, 2017
I did replay the N. Sane Trilogy during the lead up to Crash Bandicoot 4, but I don't make a habit of doing that sort of thing.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i dont like feeling burnt out. usually after i beat a game, i need a break from that kind of genre etc. i couldn't do a sequel back to back

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Who's got time for that…

It also tends to burn me out on the series before I even start the latest entry.

Apr 2, 2021
I never played the Resident Evil 7 DLC so when 8 was coming out I played through that. I wouldn't go much farther than that, unless they released a new Metal Gear Solid game (but I replay those games every 3 or 4 years anyway)

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I have only replayed games a handful of times and it has nothing to do with a sequel. There are far too many games to play for me to have the time to replay something.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Not when there are rocket league matches or Overwatch games to play…I find that I'm playing less games overall and only the massive single player games (Uncharted, Spider-Man, shadow of the Colossus, Last of Us, Mario, Zelda, Ratchet…etc) and between those falling back to my go to multiplayer games or pinball. I've started so many indies, but rarely finish em. Either due to lack of polish, interest, or sheer quantity and feeling overwhelmed.

Aug 13, 2019
Depends on the game. I'm constantly replaying BOTW and I'm playing The Outer Worlds right now to play the DLC for the first time.

neemmss

Oct 27, 2017
I will for certain games...mainly games that I really connected with. I am going to be doing my 10th runthrough of Halo 1-3, ODST, and Reach campaigns before the new Halo comes out. 4 & 5 I'll just find some recap because the campaigns bore me.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
I aspire to replay games to prepare for their sequel. But I hardly ever get around to it. sigh...

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I don't think I'll be replaying Breath of the Wild before its sequel arrives, though I do intend to play a Metroid or two before Dread lands