• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No, usually some gift card. For me, I'm trying to get a raise so that's far more important.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Here in Costa Rica we have aguinaldo: government mandated 13th salary equal to the average salary of the last 12 months, completely tax free.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last job I was at used to do a turkey at Thanksgiving, and a $50 gift card at Christmas. Times got rough, and it just became the turkey with no Christmas card.

When I worked at a liquor distributor, we got a bottle of wine, a bottle of whiskey, and a case of beer for Christmas. Fun times.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's not called a Christmas bonus but it comes about a month ahead of it, so everyone calls it that. It's not much. After taxes maybe 1/4 of tour usual check.

still nice but nothing like my old job. We used to get a pretty substantial Christmas bonus there.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I get quarterly bonuses, which are pretty good for such a small business. The 4th quarter bonus is bigger, because of end of year need to lower tax liability.

For reference my company is an IT MSP with eight clients with varying worth.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yes I actually do. It's a small bonus but it is nice. We also had success sharing at Home Depot but only the managers and supervisors (mostly managers) got anything really worth writing home about.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
I get a check equal to 40 hours of work at the ends of July and November. The first one is considered a "Back to School" bonus that's meant to help families buy school supplies though everyone gets it even if they don't have kids. The second check is for Christmas.

Many

Sep 17, 2018
In Mexico, your employer must give you something called "aguinaldo" in december, which is at least 15 days if your salary. I thing is the same thing

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Nope, never at any of the companies I have worked for, both large and small. As in nothing, not even a $5 gift card to go get a coffee and doughnut.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Yes. I'm very lucky to work at a place that gives 3 bonuses a year, with Christmas/winter being the biggest. We all worked our asses off this year with several of my co-workers needing stress management counseling. We'll probably pull somewhere in between 8-10k bonus for Xmas.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and foreverâ„¢
Sep 24, 2019
I've been told they're "not guaranteed" and yet we get a 3-5% bonus every Christmas since I started.

tedtropy

Nov 14, 2017
No, but I get laid off November 30th! I guess my "Christmas bonus" will be my severance and I'm grateful to at least be getting that versus what some of my friends are facing, but I've been at this place over a decade and fully anticipate being in a weird place going into 2021. Anyways, that concludes my derail.

Beary Jams

Nov 5, 2017
Portland, OR
This is only my second Christmas with my employer, I think they gave us a gift card last year. This year they have declined to give me a raise because of COVID, and as a 'gift' to us for our hard work during the pandemic they gave us a coupon for two free pairs of socks. I wish I was joking. So not expecting much in terms of Christmas bonus, hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
We get 4 days off to give us the time between Christmas and New Years off. TBH, I think a lot of positions don't function well with a bonus system as part of the compensation package as it can end up being divisive to teams overall and make for interesting decision making all in the name of hitting a bonus. Getting a bonus at Christmas because it's Christmas effectively says to me "We don't pay you enough so we're going to give you a lump sum and make it seem like we're being nice".

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Nope. I get paid holidays though, so I guess you can kind of count that. We also get an end-of-year bonus (up to $1,500), but our fiscal year ends in February, and we don't receive it until a while after that.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not for Christmas per se, but just for the end of the year. It's quite substantial, I'd rather not say the amount.

Kalel114

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. The more seniority you have, the higher the amount you get. Caps at 6 years. I am at 5 years right now. It gets into the thousands of dollars though. Pretty substantial.

Palgan

Dec 13, 2017
I'm going to get a 13th salary (working for a federal agency in Germany), and as I'm new to the job this is going to be the first time, yay!

I do have the feeling though that while receiving a Christmas bonus was pretty common during the last decades it's gotten more unusual because of neoliberalization and is now often reserved for public service and well established and therefore unionized companies

Sawa

Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Scotland
Nope don't ever get a bonus as I am a low paid public sector worker and as term time most of the christmas holidays are unpaid.

I do however get the ginormous sum of £10 christmas bonus from my PIP Disability benefits haha.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Im self employed and mostly on unemployment this year... but after almost 5 months of unemployment just not coming to me due to me accidentally logging in with a VPN and them having to 'investigate' they finally started processing new claims for me... so i guess that kinda counts?

When i worked in an office id get one, but itd be tied to how well the company as a whole did that year (which was an international company I had absolutely no way to have a say in how well it did). Was very frustrating to work my ass off and get nothing at the end of the year based completely off of our upper management's decisions for everyone else and then have us be told it was on us to do well. One of the many things that caused me to realize Id rather go freelance... and it was going well until covid :(

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
We get an additional 1.5 wages as bonus which should be about 6 grand this year.

Also have year end performance bonus coming up in late january.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Kind of because all the things happen quarterly including vestments and such. It's whatever, doesn't affect me in any meaningful way. I'll probably throw it all at the market.

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
Hell no. We get a free turkey. Matter of fact my employer didn't give us our usual bonus in july because they couldn't do elective surgeries from march-may. Apparently that was enough to justify not giving a bonus😒