Votes: 147 34.9%
  • Everything

Votes: 213 50.6%

• Total voters

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Think Pubg vs Fortnite. Can't say I have any clear preference, but I do find myself playing realistic games more often.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Really depends on the art direction. I could go for both, depending.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
Depends on the theme.
And really if the animations holds up. A bad rig is a bad rig no matter the art direction.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
graphics is way down on the list of other priorities like good gameplay and performance. graphics dont matter.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Realistic is boring. I see real life all the time. I want experimentation and vision.

Something like Katamari or Okami will always be a better looking game to me than something like the new Spider-man or RDR2.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
I've always had a great admiration for cel-shaded artwork, especially in JRPGs, but I can appreciate all forms.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Besides SOME Survival Horror games, I haven't seen a single "realistic" game that would not benefit from more cartoony/artistic/stylized graphics

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Both can be great - it's all in the execution.

For instance, I think both Assassin's Creed Unity and Breath of the Wild are visually spectacular. One is hyper-real, the other has a stylized animated aesthetic.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
older games hold up alot better visually with cartoony graphics, so im going with that

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends greatly on the game. I much much prefer Fortnites cartoony look over PUBGs realistic look, but if it were something like a horror game or an adventure game I'd usually prefer realistic.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Cartoony, you have all this tech at your disposal that can do just about anything and some how humans always try to replicate real life.

Last edited:

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
It depends on what the game is going for, but I prefer cartoon since they tend to age in looks better.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Everything, both.

If the game is good, or I like playing it, doesnt really matter.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I don't think I can really judge a game's art-style with just those two words. A game's never just realistic or cartoony! They're very broad terms and encompass so much it's impossible for me to pick just one. The idea that realism = a boring colour palette which ranges from brown to dark brown is also far from true and something I see suggested often. Look at something like Blood & Wine for an example of a realistic game which looks incredibly bright and vivid:

cdprojekt-2016-witcher3-lastdlc.jpg

In general I do prefer realistic titles, but I'm voting both just because there's incredible looking games that are both realistic and cartoony and I can't pick just one. I'd say my favourite cartoony game art is BOTW, and realism has to go to Witcher 3.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Is it good art? That's what I prefer. Realism is not inherently good, and neither is stylized/cartoony. It's easy to fuck up both into something unappealing. Execution is more important.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Art direction is the most important factor, but hyper-realism is boring.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I think "stylized" would have been a better word than "cartoony". Cartoony feels too specific. I usually prefer stylized over realistic.

TrueBroLapp

Nov 7, 2018
Cartoony ages much better, but doesn't really work for every type of game.
My biggest problem with realistic is how generic most devs make it look, instead of having different art design. Skyrim has a realistic art-stile, but the art direction is so good that it still looks great after 8 years, but BF3, released on the same year, already looks terrible because its all grey and brown.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
A cartoony artstyle makes gameplay limitations more believable to me.

Seeing realistic characters hitting invisible walls or glitching or even being anything but "perfect" pulls me out of the immersion instantly.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Depends on the game/genre. I don't like what Jump Stars looks like for instance, because it's based on anime characters and yet, it wants to deliver realistic visuals. Anime should stay anime, I say.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Like many have already said - it all depends on art.

I mean, I think Jet Grind Radio is one of the best looking games of all time:

jet-set-radio-main.jpg

... and I mean, how f-ing beautiful is Wind Waker?

81cK0XG5F9L._SL1500_.jpg

Sure is pretty! Better than "realistic Zelda," right?

2748238-2748238-6505231023-NGL2-.jpg

Realistic graphics must be worse than cartoony... wait... hold up...

6l3gs3ibualy.jpg

But if I had to pick a "style," then it would be, well... "stylized:"

Street-Fighter-III-3rd-Strike-Gameplay-1.jpg

(arguably one of the best looking games of all time)

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Whatever floats the developers boat :)

I won't reject a game due to it's art style though.
Also, what is realistic and what is cartoony?

What category would TLG (or other Ueda games) be in? I guess "cartoony" but it can also be very realistic at times especially the dog.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I think super realistic graphics can work for certainly games but those typically aren't the kind of games I'm into. But it seems that if something is super bright and colorful, it's called "cartoony" and if it's not, it's called "realistic". Like Twilight Princess has some goofy ass looking character models but people call that game "realistic". But I'm not a fan of really realistic looking games but I'd love to see another Zelda game with a similar art style (like that Wii U tech demo).

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Both as long as they are polished.
PUBG vs Fortnite ain't even fair. While the first tries the realistic look, it's the lack of polish and direction that makes it less appealing to the eye.