Votes: 232 36.0%
  • Sci-Fi

Votes: 413 64.0%

• Total voters

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Sci Fi personally, there are very few IPs in movies, games, or books I enjoy that are fantasy based. I dont dismiss them entirely but in general Ive noticed it.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer good sci-fi any time of day, but a lot of games that utilize the setting are in genres that don't really interest me. Conversely, I enjoy adventure and RPG games, which more often than not have a fantasy backdrop. So this is a tough pick. For what it's worth, my favorite game of all time is Phantasy Star Online, which would be a mix of both.

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars is fantasy. It's all about space-magic, sword battles, and space-wizards.

It has fantasy elements, but it's still sci-fi, just not hard sci-fi. Yes, it has the Force, but it also has spaceships, droids, aliens, space, planets, space stations, lasers etc.

It's kinda weird how in film sci-fi is way more dominant than fantasy (whuch is basically LotR and Harry Potter and not much else) but in games less so, even though you have Halo, Mass Effect, Destiny Titanfall, Apex Legends, Fallen Order, Metroid, Horizon, No Man's Sky and others.There's Cyberpunk of course, but I'd love to see more space games.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the ultra clean and elegant sci-fi aesthetics. This is why I like Star Wars but dislike the prequels. The Mandalorian aesthetics are the best IMO. Exactly what I want from space sci-fi. Cyberpunk is also great.

I like fantasy but not generic LOTR-like fantasy. There aren't many games like that but I'd love a game based on The Dresden Files books.

Star Wars is fantasy. It's all about space-magic, sword battles, and space-wizards.

The backdrop is still sci-fi though

Last edited:

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I voted fantasy because I like generic fantasy better than generic sci-fi, but a really grungy-looking sci-fi is my favourite.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
2a2e82fd2529591c29f96fe81e56530d1125d5ccr1-480-214_hq.gif

This is where my brain resides

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
It also depends on which kind of Sci-Fi. I don't like Destiny or Anthem. Some people would define them as Sci-Fi, while I would declare them as Fantasy.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Fantasy, preferably sci fantasy

There's something about fantastical, magical and colorful worlds.

When I think scifi I think the same generic genre that hasn't evolved the past 30 years. Same tropes, same recycled stories, but woooow look how good our current year's imagination of giant mecha, hypertech, talking robots, laser beams and flying cars look like. Also neon colors (Cyberpunk) YAWWN.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Answer is a bit more nuanced. I much prefer fantasy stories but honestly fantasy settings and locales are mostly uninteresting to me. I have not liked that much sci-fi, but the backdrop of a ship in space, exploring planets, weird alien shit etc. is very interesting to me. I just find that sci-fi is often more about... humans and politics and warring governments than the mysteries of space (which is a big chunk of fantasy as well).

Oct 25, 2017
One of the problems with fantasy is that so much of it is wizards, magic, dragons, dwarves and elves. It's so fucking boring.
Sci-fi offers way more variety in that regard. Just look at TV series alone: you have The Mandalorian, Westworld, Devs, Black Mirror, Altered Carbon, Dark, Picard, The Expanse, the upcoming Halo...

Films as well. How many landmark fantasy films are there compared to sci-fi? The sheer diversity of the genre is astounding. From Alien to Moon, from District 9 to The Martian, from Ex Machina to The Terminator, from 2001 to Planet of the Apes, from Blade Runner (2049) to Robocop, from The Matrix to Interstellar, it's a friggin' goldmine.

As a genre it tends to tackle more philosophical questions as well, about things like identity, reality, our place in the universe, consciousness, free will (or lack thereof) etc. One of the reasons SOMA really resonated with me, made for a good double-bill with Peter Watts' amazing novel Blindsight (wich was an inspiration for Frictional). SOMA, Prey and Outer Wilds are probably the sci-fi highlights of this gen.

I don't get people who say good fantasy is easier to do than good sci-fi.

Last edited:

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
If only a choice between the two, sci-fi. However, I prefer science-fantasy a la Star Wars and Destiny to both.
While fantasy should be just as capable, I think artists tend to use it as a crutch too often to fall back on cliches of the genre to tell their stories. Look at something like GoT. The show runners basically fell back on such cliche's to finish up the white walker arc of the show rather than use the genre to do something unique. Now I don't think that is emblematic of the genre as a whole, I still think there's something more limited about it compared to science fiction as a medium to tell compelling stories.
It's one of the reasons I liked Disco Elysium*, since it used its setting to tackle issues that are pretty relatable to a modern audience (which helps by having it setting in a quasi-modern setting), such as class, race, the failures of neoliberal captitalism in the post-Soviet world, etc.

* I know it's technically weird fiction, but I consider that a sub-section of fantasy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think they're both just as capable.

But as of late, popular Sci-Fi has had more to say about the world in my humble opinion. Stuff like Black Mirror shows how diverse and interesting the subject matter can be. I never found a work of fantasy fiction to be quite as compelling.

While fantasy should be just as capable, I think artists tend to use it as a crutch too often to fall back on cliches of the genre to tell their stories. Look at something like GoT. The show runners basically fell back on such cliche's to finish up the white walker arc of the show rather than use the genre to do something unique. Now I don't think that is emblematic of the genre as a whole, I still think there's something more limited about it compared to science fiction as a medium to tell compelling stories.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it had to pick one (although science fantasy is the superior choice), I'd probably pick scifi. I feel like fantasy is too tied to medieval Europe as the only location and time period usually explored, whereas I've seen more freedom in scifi
Yup. Medieval Europe with orks and wizards is the most boring shit. Done thousands of times. It's actually my least favorite setting because of how painfully unoriginal it is and how it kinda ruins fantasy since everyone goes to that by default. Theres so much more you can do.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I like a mixture of both, like FFVII and VIII for instance, but when it boils down to it then Sci-Fi I suppose.

I'll pretty much take anything as long as it isn't Medieval. I hate Medieval settings so much. Everything looks like it's made of mud, clay or shit.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
For video games, sci-fi. Love me some Mass Effect and Star Wars games.

Fantasy for books though. I find sci-fi literature to be of a significantly lower quality than fantasy overall.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
I'd have to go with fantasy since I like more RPG/open world games. Nothing wrong with some good sci-fi though.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It has fantasy elements, but it's still sci-fi, just not hard sci-fi. Yes, it has the Force, but it also has spaceships, droids, aliens, space, planets, space stations, lasers etc.
The backdrop is still sci-fi though
I mean, yes, it's obviously not pure fantasy; but it's no surprise to me that someone who almost exclusively prefers fantasy might still like Star Wars.
I don't think I'd even call it "science-fantasy" but maybe something like "space fantasy".
If I had to pick between the two broad "fantasy" and "sci-fi" genres to place Star Wars, it goes in the fantasy bucket for me.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yes, it's obviously not pure fantasy; but it's no surprise to me that someone who almost exclusively prefers fantasy might still like Star Wars.
I don't think I'd even call it "science-fantasy" but maybe something like "space fantasy".
If I had to pick between the two broad "fantasy" and "sci-fi" genres to place Star Wars, it goes in the fantasy bucket for me.
What about Dune?

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fun of both fantasy and sci-fi is that they can break our notions of what is possible and the types of things we'll see. Fantasy does it through magic and non-realistic settings, sci-fi does it through technology and other planets. I think i prefer the fantasy version.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I just like being in high tech worlds more than low tech ones. I prefer stuff to be colorful and shiny instead of clumsily made from half-rotten wood.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Fantasy is better in every way. There's a sense of adventure to it, compared to the drab, corporate nature of sci fi. Fantasy is about being your own person whereas sci fi is all about doing something to appease someone else.

Also, wood and stone work over metal, lasers, and holograms any day of the week.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Fantasy, but when games can pull off both at the same time with fantasy still being the main one it's perfect (Final Fantasy IX and Xenoblade both do this and coincidentally are my favorites)

Oct 25, 2017

It's space opera, which is a sci-fi subgenre.

Fantasy because swords > guns.

Sci-fi has cooler swords though, look at Star Wars and Halo.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
A lot of people in this thread generalizing two very cool and diverse genres. Fantasy is not just wizards and dragons, Sci-Fi is not just laser beams and mechs.

My favourite books are fantasy series, my favourite TV shows are Sci-Fi.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Fantasy for sure, though I'm quite fond of sci-fi/fantasy hybrids like FFVII and the Phantasy Star series though obviously they skew mostly towards fantasy.

People might think fantasy is played-out but I don't think it is, as long as people know how to make quality entries in the genre the setting doesn't matter. There's no need to re-invent the wheel every time.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
My preference is sci-fi. Everything about the property can be essentially fantasy tropes, but I greatly prefer the sci-fi setting. It's like FFVII or Xenoblade Chronicles...the mechanics are really fantasy style for the most part, but the setting is sci-fi.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

Well, it has a lot more philosphical themes going on about pre-destination and whatnot; but the framework of the Dune-universe is driven by the technological (and economical) limits of what Herbert created. I think that's one of the hallmarks of sci-fi; that it puts characters in unique situations that would otherwise not be possible.

but it also has spaceships, droids, aliens, space, planets, space stations, lasers etc.

sure, bet very little 'sci' in that. The inner workings / logic of the Star Wars universe is based on mostly fantasy with no real clear underlying framework or limits; Its much closer to swords & sorcery kinda stuff. Which happens to be set in 'in a galaxy far far away'.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
sure, bet very little 'sci' in that. The inner workings / logic of the Star Wars universe is based on mostly fantasy with no real clear underlying framework or limits; Its much closer to swords & sorcery kinda stuff. Which happens to be set in 'in a galaxy far far away'.
That's the nature of pulp sci-fi (ie Flash Gordon and other inspirations for Lucas). It's still very much science fiction, it's just not hard science fiction or speculative fiction

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think that fantasy has been more explored, so Sci-fi has more potential to surprise. But I think a combination of both is the best way to create original and interesting new worlds that don't adhere to any other expectations. For example Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a fantasy story with Sci-fi aesthetic and lore and I think the combination really works and the story feels very new.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Theoretically I like sci-fi better, but I've enjoyed fantasy-based games more, probably because they more often have D&D roots.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
That's the nature of pulp sci-fi (ie Flash Gordon and other inspirations for Lucas). It's still very much science fiction, it's just not hard science fiction or speculative fiction

yeah agreed, its hard to draw a strict line with these kinds of things; but in the big spectrum of all things 'scifi' Star Wars fits best in the "fantasy-set-in-space" corner, hehe.

May 30, 2018
I like both, but I prefer Fantasy because they don't have to stay grounded in reality like Sci Fi, and they don't really need to explain why things happen the way they do

Just look at nanomachines being the explanation for everything, kinda sucked the fun out of it a little

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to say Sci-Fi and not Science Fantasy (e.g. Star Wars). I grew up with Star Wars and Star Trek and I chose Star Trek. I love the idea of the possible future that we can have and Sci-Fi allows for such a vast and imaginary world, no matter where or when it may be.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I think that fantasy has been more explored, so Sci-fi has more potential to surprise. But I think a combination of both is the best way to create original and interesting new worlds that don't adhere to any other expectations. For example Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a fantasy story with Sci-fi aesthetic and lore and I think the combination really works and the story feels very new.

I do think that scifi suits itself better for more existential topics or 'bigger themes' because a lot of space related things are just mindboggling to comprehend and/or are often one way trips; or you get more into topics like cyber & ethics & evolution ('does a robot have a conscience') or "is a simulated person real?" and that sort of stuff. One of the reasons I like (most) of Black Mirror is how it takes a scifi concept and tries to tell a story about how that would impact us. Most fantasy is still too much 'good vs evil' for my tastes (altough I'm aware that there are some great writers out there who try to push the genre further)

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Scifi for me. Fantasy has a lot of issues with stereotypes and just feels like a lot more conservative than other genres.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
I tend to like more sci-fi. Then again, most shows/movies tend to confuse high/futuristic tech with completely magical/impossible nonsense.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still looking for a fantasy novel that weaves interpersonal, social, and political problems into the narrative in an interesting way. Fantasy novels feel too similar in archetypes and uninteresting prose, so I shy away from them. I've tried a few series but they all feel geared towards more of a YA audience.

Oct 25, 2017
Philosophy aside, sci-fi also tends to tell a lot about the world we live in and the world we might live in if we continue the way we do. Whether it's Verhoeven's satirical takes with Robocop and Starship Troopers, something like Black Mirror or books like Nick Harkaway's Gnomon (which is about surveillance) or the works of Kim Stanley Robinson who tells stories about the colonization of Mars, generation ships and the effects of climate change with great scientific detail, I tend to gravitate more towards that as I grow older. As a child I was into fantasy more, as an adult it's definitely sci-fi.

Those things are perhaps harder to do in games, but certainly not impossible and I'd love to see more devs tackle these kind of topics.