Like or Dislike?

Votes: 209 67.2%
  • Dislike

Votes: 102 32.8%

• Total voters

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game was like impossible to get through when I was a kid.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Always loved it and it is still probably my favorite in the series. Far from perfect, most criticisms of the game are at least somewhere in the neighborhood of valid, but the atmosphere and vibe is just unmatched in my eyes.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Probably unpopular but it's literally my favorite Castlevania. I have so many memories staying up all night as a kid at sleepover playing this with my friends

Fatagnus

Dec 24, 2017
I still like it to this day, but I have pretty bad nostalgia goggles for it though. This was a "Nintendo Power Game" had to have the magazine to figure out the cryptic riddles, or friends would share the secrets at school. had to be there.
As many have said the music is amazing still. And the Romhack that adds a map, re-translation, and tons of other improvements make it much easier to get into today.
www.romhacking.net

Castlevania II English Re-translation (+Map)

This is an English re-Translation of Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. In addition to translating

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say I like it, but I appreciate it for being so forward thinking.
The NES simply couldn't handle the ambition that Simon's Quest was going for.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I really like it for nostalgic reasons as a child but after having replayed it a couple times in the past 10 years I gotta say I think it's actually good and has a lot of cool stuff despite its problems. Probably not a top 10 Castlevania for me (that's mostly dominated by Igavanias anyway) but I really do like it so much

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play it till I was an adult and we were way way past the NES era, and I used a guide because I knew the reputation the game had for some obtuse bullshit. But I thought it was really fun. I probably wouldn't have liked it if I had to learn about kneeling tornadoes or whatever on my own, though.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
This is a complicated question, did I like it, yeah. I go back to CV2 a lot cause I love the weirdness. That game and Zelda 2 I have a soft spot in my heart for cause there were the weird ones, ambitious and just different. Was it good, not really, CV2 in particular is much worse than Zelda 2. But there was something about the strange part 2 of many NES games.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I like the music (actually, I LOVE the music and its amazing basslines) and the overall structure of the game, but it's not one I ever return to. I kinda equate it with DMC2 with how strange it is compared to the rest of the series.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it when it came out. But I had Nintendo Power. If I got stuck, I just looked it up. It obviously has flaws but I did not realize them at all until that AVGN episode. It was considered pretty normal, at least as a kid, for a NES game not to be easy to beat without help. Also I do not remember a bad word being said about Castlevania 2 until that episode.

It was so a cool when it came out for it to have a world with towns, that it wasn't just about the castle. It gave us a full world. Many different items. That you could go left or right at the first screen was a mindfuck. I preferred it over Castlevania 1 and 3 and still do.

It's easier to play now, but when I first played CVII, despite enjoying it then I was dogshit at it.

I literally couldn't figure out what to do at certain points, and it inevitably lead to my Dad (after watching me struggle for a while) trying to do it himself and help me on the part. This lead to us playing the rest of the game for about two weeks 'together' and beating it.
We got the worst ending. 🤣
It became my Dad's favorite game in the series (he loves Zelda II a lot as well).

I still enjoy playing it now and fire it up every blue moon.

Oct 25, 2017
It was always fun but without knowing wtf to do you'd just have to give up after a while

Once the internet came around and I found out what to do to progress it became a much better experience lol

Edit - I didn't own the game and never came across the Nintendo Power issue somehow

Supple

Banned
Aug 1, 2022
NYC
Simon's Quest was the first Castlevania I beat and enjoyed as a kid. I never understood the hate it received years later.

Bengraven