• Total voters
OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
There are some weirdly defensive posts in here, especially when I opened by saying I loved the games, lol.

I had no idea Crash inspired such divisive feelings on this website.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine wanting in Naughty Dog to make a game with this fucking thing in 2020.
There are very strange people on the internet.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
i've seen memes featuring sonic as a real hedgehog.

where are the memes that star crash as a real bandicoot?

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I love crash and his design. Though, I had no idea what a bandicoot was until I googled it. Thought it looked more like a dingo or something in the dog family.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why? Just because more serious storytelling is now their focus doesn't mean they wouldn't be capable of something very impressive in a cartoony style.
Let's just leave it to VV.
nobody actually knows what a bandicoot is
19283-eastern-barred-bandicoot

Well now you do.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
People saying he's one of the few decent anthropomorphic designs of that era are right. Sonic (+ limited friends) and Crash.. think that's about it? Maybe Banjo at a push but only because of Kazooie's character. Spyro, Croc, Gex, Ratchet, Blinx, etc are all terrible.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't say you did, just that he has earned that spot with flying colors. Plus Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, Banjo and Crash ducking it out in a single game? Yup, give me that shit.
I completely disagree with that, but I don't feel like continuing this conversation so I'll just leave it at that.

Mar 19, 2020
I've been a fan of crash since I was a child. His design is in 2 on the ps1 is what drew me into gaming. That weird 90s cartoon with a weird bit of darkness to it was really captivating to me.

I still love the designs and Crash is my favourite mascot from that era still.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL true.

You can tell they're so offended by Crash's success.
And I don't freaking get it.

What is it about Crash that upsets some people? The idea that people like the series for more then nostalgia is incomprehensible to some and I don't understand.
m.youtube.com

1998 Playstation Commercial

Tomb Raider, TM3, and CB 3

Crash has a troubled past of contributing to the toxic masculinity of gamer culture.
Look if we start holding 90's advertising against game characters then no one is clean.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Crash is great. Him being crazy over the top dumb and wacky works great with his overall design and animations.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
conceptually he's a 3rd rate (perhaps lesser) 90s mascot derivative but credit is due where it's due he's still around and sold fuckloads of PS1s

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Theres a reason n sane trilogy sold like 10 + mil.

People love the goofball. Love him and his dumb 90's jeans

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
People saying he's one of the few decent anthropomorphic designs of that era are right. Sonic (+ limited friends) and Crash.. think that's about it? Maybe Banjo at a push but only because of Kazooie's character. Spyro, Croc, Gex, Ratchet, Blinx, etc are all terrible.
Is Spyro considered anthropomorphic? He's just a dragon

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
He's derivative of the tasmanian devil but I like him, mostly when they play up his silliness. I hate those 90s commercials when they wanted to make him "cool".

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I prefer the original design but I like him. The orange/blue contrast is good and they did a great job making his design distinct and expressive with limited PS1 polygons. He does feel a bit cynical in terms of riding the wave of 90s animal mascots with 'tude but I think they do a good job offsetting that with how dopey he is.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
He did get "edgy" like other ND character Jak, so yeah, I like him. The fact that he's always shirtless is a plus.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
He reminds me of a 90s skateboarder, lol

I don't have a problem with his design though. I grew up with him, so i'm used to it, just like Mario.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
He has shoes, and eats apples... which bandicoot does that...
complete failure...

As a character he looks funny.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like him, no, but I also don't hate him to a degree that I won't play his games if they're good.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He is a very 90's character, it's only missing the bomber jacket trend from comic books. Sonic shares some of the early vibe of the decade, but it really helps it was designed with some classic cartoon looks.

I don't see him weird myself, but probably someone with a fresh perspective could find him too old-fashioned, especially the edgy vibe and those pants. He did work best as a low-poly character with exaggerated expressions; he could use more readable aesthetics for his games.