• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I love having a gaming PC (for VR games mostly)/PS4/Switch combo. I love that it allows me to access pretty much any game I want (well until my PC starts needing updating but since I built it for VR it should last a bit... only one game which is a VR game it can't play that I know of since I don't have a 1080 graphics card).

But, I'm coming to terms that while I love having all this access to games, I am having a problem of having too many games. Part of that is that I enjoy open world games that will last me a long time (a game isn't really that great to me unless it has me so infatuated that I don't want it to end) so they're starting to pile up (most the games I want to play aren't new right now to be honest but at the same time there is enough new games coming out between all the consoles I'm a bit frustrated cause I have to decide whether I want to stop playing the old ones to make time for the new, and I'm not short on time either!!!!!). It has come to me that if I still just had my PS4 this wouldn't be that huge a problem (I'd not have the VR games nor the few games coming on Switch thoguh the switch I relegate to handheld only but I'm still working on Zelda and a Xenoblades and a monster hunter is coming out for it soon or has come out for it).

So, does anyone else run into the problem of having access to all games starts making it so you have the problem of having to decide which game you give up playing or try to wait til later when you hopefully have more time? (I know, "good" problem to have and all but I'm also not a patient and I want to play them all now!).

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Depends on the purpose and attachment I suppose. I have around 40 consoles but I use them all rather regularly and enjoy collecting for them.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Yea, not gonna lie, it can get overwhelming at times.

I've got backlogs from the PS1-PS4, as well as the Wii, and a handful of PC games too.

A type of paralysis sets in when deciding what to play next.

Flipping a coin is my go-to approach now, lol
So, does anyone else run into the problem of having access to all games starts making it so you have the problem of having to decide which game you give up playing or try to wait til later when you hopefully have more time? (I know, "good" problem to have and all but I'm also not a patient and I want to play them all now!).

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're dealing with choice overload. It's pretty common and most of us on this forum suffer from it .

The way I deal with it is to constantly remind myself that this hobby is supposed to be fun and just roll with it. I play something until I'm not having fun anymore, then I drop it for something else. Maybe I'll come back to it, maybe I won't. Ultimately, what matters is this: am I enjoying myself? I think the problem is lots of us feel this need to finish a game we start and so we spend lots of time forcing ourselves to spend hours upon hours slogging through something we're not really enjoying. Don't do that to yourself.

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
After watching my PS3 gather dust I'm always concerned about buying more than one console.

Games are, for me, an experience to be savoured. I need to give them my full attention or my brain starts to drift.

More than one console adds to this brain drift I suffer from.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. I blame it on Sony's allergy to backwards compatibility

Ps2
Ps3
Ps4
Psp
Switch
3ds
OG xbox
OG Snes

I've got backlogs in all of them

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I have everything this gen. next time I'm probably not going to do that and just go w/ PC Nintendo and maybe one of the big ones. probably Halo as sony's exclusives haven't been working for me.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yes

Lack of b/c makes this a issue

Currently plugged in/playing
-PS3
-PS4
-WiiU
-3DS
-PSP
-Gaming desktop
-Gaming Laptop

On standby/available
-DS
-GBA
-GBC
-PS2
-N64

hobdal

Mar 1, 2018
I had a switch and ps4 with barely enough time for one of them. Just sold my Switch and games yesterday and gonna stick with just the ps4. There's more stuff I want to play on the PlayStation, I liked the Switch but it was starting to gather dust.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Atari 2600, 7800, intellivision, NES, SNES, N64, PS1, GC, PS2, Wii, PS3, WiiU, Switch, PC, GBC, GBA, DS, and 3DS. I got room for plenty more. But yeah, I have over 500 physical games, and haven't played most in a long time. I had 3 alpha Black Lotus cards and sold them when they "topped out" at $350 many years ago. There may be demand some of those old working systems one day.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not long ago I put all of my old consoles away in storage, but right now I have plugged in and ready to play:

-Analogue Super NT
-PS4/Fortnite machine
-Switch

Let's me get my retro fix from my favourite console while keeping up on the stuff I want to! I also have an NES classic tucked away and ready to play whenever :P

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Nah I get rid of my old shit. I don't have time for that.

PC/Switch at my desk. Have a PS4 pro under the TV.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I'm one of those assholes with all 3 main consoles, and a gaming PC. I've got a 3DS, but I rarely use it. And yes, it's probably too many, but I love games and hate the idea of missing out on something cool.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Yes. I basically have every console created sans handhelds and outside of the Switch which I only have I think 6 games or something I have probably an average of 50 games for each console. I have played like 10% of them. One thing that helps is my PC being a Blizzard machine so I never got sucked into the Steam sales shit but I still buy games on my PS4 like candy.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sold my Switch, PS4 is good enough for me. Modest PC I just run point and clicks on

Also Classic NES and SNEZ
I had a switch and ps4 with barely enough time for one of them. Just sold my Switch and games yesterday and gonna stick with just the ps4. There's more stuff I want to play on the PlayStation, I liked the Switch but it was starting to gather dust.

You'll both be back. Never sell a console during its current run. Take it from a man with too much experience on the matter.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. My PC and Switch are my primary gaming devices. I like having Nintendo stuff so I also have a Wii U and 3DS. With some light hacks for Nintendont I have access to the entire Nintendo library between Switch, Wii U, and 3DS. My PC gets me emulators, Play Anywhere Microsoft games and even PSNow should I decide to subscribe.

Problem is I have a PS3, Vita, PS4, and Xbox One that don't get much use at all. But again those devices collectively give me access to everything I could possibly want to buy and play. The Xbone is largely for media playback while my PS4 is not going to get touched after I finish God of War. PS3 is only around because I've yet to play the original Nier and for the SMT Digital Devil Saga games. Vita is for Tactics Ogre, Jeanne D'Arc and my PS1 digital collection. I really need to downsize...

Even my iPhone is great for Square-Enix RPGs. So I really need to get rid of my PlayStation devices and my Xbox, then stick to Nintendo + PC.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
For current stuff, you get a PS4 a PC and a switch and that's everything. I don't exactly poor a lot of time in to every one of time into every one of them, but that's not why I have all three. I have all three so I can play whatever I want.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Definitely guilty.

PS4, XB1, Switch and two gaming PC's.

Enormous backlog that I never touch.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Yes. PS4 is my main device, and that's connected to my TV along with my Switch and PS3. I really should box up my PS3, but I can't bring myself to do it. I'm thinking about unhooking the Switch from the TV and putting my Xbox One back there so I can play through Red Dead real quick.

But I also got a Vita, with many more unplayed games than my Switch, so I also have too many handhelds.

I FORGOT: I ordered a Super NT last night. I already got a SNES Classic Mini. I got a problem.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I did sell my Xbox this year and while I'll miss some titles I do feel like I can dedicate more time to playing more games and IPs on PS4 and Switch

But I also have a DC, Saturn, Genesis, ps3 and PS2 ready

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Well, yeah. And I sometimes dislike that I more or less force myself to play certain games on certain hardware just to feel like I get my money's worth out of the console that gets used the least. This gen it's the PS4 to me that often feels like it's just there to own one in the first place as I'm not interested in most releases on there . But after I sold my Pro some time ago, I missed having access to some of the games I'm interested in, even if only mildly so. So I got a Slim again, knowing that I'd probably feel the same some time later but at least I have access to certain titles not coming to handhelds. If I were able to get most of the 3rd party JRPGs on my handhelds though, I'd most likely get rid of the PS4 for good.

tl;dr: I'd wish I could own less consoles but wanting certain games practically forces me to get more hardware than I like to.

So definitely mind this:
Never sell a console during its current run.

Oct 28, 2017
I did. I sold all of it and went back to my laptop for gaming. I will probably stick to pc gaming plus portables for the foreseeable future. It helps knowing I will still be able to play gears 5 and the new Halo.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I have a PC, PS4, PS3, SNES mini, and NES mini... so yes. Frankly, any console counts as one gaming device too many in my book... would much prefer having everything on PC.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have all of the current gen platforms and all of the last-gen platforms.

I don't really use most of them, though. The great thing about PC is that it's a one stop shop, always has been, and for all intents and purposes, always will be. Pretty much every other platform is good for its exclusives and pretty much nothing else, as far as I treat 'em.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
Yeah I have too many haha. Once my girlfriend and I moved in with each other it got even worse.

NES, SNES, 2 N64, 2 GCN, 2 Wii, 2 Wii U, 2 Switch, 2 GBC, 2 GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS XL, 3 New 3DS XL, PSX, 2 PS2, 2 PS3, 2 PS4, 2 PSP, 2 PSVita, XBOX, 2 XBOX 360, Genesis 16x, Saturn, Dreamcast, and 4 PCs, 3 being laptops.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
PC, Ps4,Ps3, xbox1, 3ds.

Massive backlog but I think its because I go back and play old games a lot. I downloaded Evil Within (which I bought a year ago and never touched) and still haven't booted it up because I'm doing a dark souls remastered run right now a game I've beaten probably 25-30 times by now.

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think I do and I sold some this year and last year. Besides a decent gaming PC

I have:
PS1 (will never sold or give, too much attached to it even if I don't really use it anymore, it's my favorite videogame/toy),
PS3, PS4, PSV
Wii U, Switch, 2x 3DS
Xbox One

I gave this year:
A PS2 for my niece and nephew
X360 for a cousin

Sold:
Wii and PSP

Last year I gave 2 Nintendo DS for friends and sold a SNES.

Most of the time I only use my PC though (emulation included). And PS4 for voice chat with friends.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have too many haha. Once my girlfriend and I moved in with each other it got even worse.

NES, SNES, 2 N64, 2 GCN, 2 Wii, 2 Wii U, 2 Switch, 2 GBC, 2 GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS XL, 3 New 3DS XL, PSX, 2 PS2, 2 PS3, 2 PS4, 2 PSP, 2 PSVita, XBOX, 2 XBOX 360, Genesis 16x, Saturn, Dreamcast, and 4 PCs, 3 being laptops.

LMAO ok this is a bit ridiculous. Where do you put all of those consoles?

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah I'm pretty stuffed with consoles at the moment:

SNES
N64
Wii( doubles as my gamecube player)
Wii U
N3DSXL
Switch

Genesis
Saturn
Dreamcast

Ps2 slim
Ps3 slim
Ps4 Pro
PSVR
Vita 2000

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One X

And a 'by today's standards' low level gaming rig. I'm getting to the point where just having these consoles whenever I 'may' get the urge is becoming impractical. Most of it just sits in storage bins.

Last edited:

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is a problem that people do not need to have. Just buy the console that you like most.

I am a Nintendo only player and only buy the games that I want to play.

A handheld and a home console were my limit. It is just silly to have more than 3 active consoles because you do not have time to all of them.

hobdal

Mar 1, 2018
You'll both be back. Never sell a console during its current run. Take it from a man with too much experience on the matter.

I would have kept it if I had more time to play. My job is pretty demanding and has long hours some days. On top of that I have a young family. Gaming has taken a backseat in recent years.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
oh god yes, and I want more. It's a terrible thing. Right now I'm juggling:

• PS4
  • Switch
  • PS3
  • Vita
  • PSP
  • 3DS
  • GBA
  • SNES Classic
  • Super Nt
Want to add:
  • NES Classic
  • Xbox One X (for BC mostly)
I have too many games for each system as well. I keep buying shit because there is always a sale somewhere. Like someone else said though, it's just a hobby and if I get around to it then great, if not then that's okay also.