• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you have friends/family IRL to discuss games?

• I do.

Votes: 689 71.8%
  • I don't.

Votes: 271 28.2%

• Total voters

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
My sisters I would also consider my friends, and I talk about video games all the time with them. I really got lucky having siblings to grow up with who had similar interests and still do.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
Eh, that isnt what I am worried about - just had a awkward conversation due to how much I like video games and it was awfully awkward lol.

Basically this happened back in 2008-2009 - when I used to work in retail.

My manager came by and tried to have a conversation with me about video games, he was talking about some Transformers game that came out during the time....I just told him that I am not sure, never heard of it or played it (because its the truth lol).

It was a ice breaker start to a conversation for something else work related but was awkward way to start a conversation lol.

Nowadays I dont even bring it up when asked about hobbies and such - I just say generic stuff like how I like movies and music - nothing specific so no one really knows what I like or dont like.

I like to keep as much info about me private irl mainly cause I had several experiences where people tried to take advantage of a conversation/situation from what they know about me - the less people irl know about me, the better. The only people who actually know what I like and stuff is just my wife and my parents.

100% with you on that one. People who are eager to share their life story whenever they talk with someone freak me out.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Always have. And definitely co workers.

Between IRL friends and family I have to get more than one platform. Some in my family are not budging from Xbox, co workers mostly have Playstation. Friends its kind of a mix.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
This may come off as rude to you because you said you didn't have any friends, but I am not trying to be.

I talk about "Nintendo games and weeb games" as you put it with friends of mine irl often and it isn't weird at all because it's a mutual interest. People discussing mutual interests is the opposite of weird.

I take it you're all 100% hardcore into the same type of games? If that's the case then yeah, it's not weird at all.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Brothers. A friend of mine knows a lot about video games and has a huge steam collection... But she only plays wow, so I had to learn some wow to keep up!

Scarlett

Dec 5, 2020
Many.

There are also some who don't game but like to ask about things they hear about (Last of Us for example) or just anything cool I've played.

And I have hardcore gamer friends I don't want to discuss games with because they have hot takes and horrible opinions. They're chill and great friends in other subjects.

Shackleton

Banned
Mar 19, 2021
Most of my friends have somewhat drifted away from gaming. Certainly although, some of them do a bit of gaming, none are into it as much as me!

That being said I do have a few old friends that I will occasionally do a bit of online gaming with.

I have a few colleagues that I would talk to about gaming. I am a teacher, so unsurprisingly most of my students are into gaming and occasionally I will chat to them about games.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I don't think I've ever met anyone that doesn't like video games. I used to know a ton of people. They are still into games going by their social media posts.

I haven't had a social life in person since I moved out of Miami 10 years ago, though. Only talk to my younger brother in person, and then also have three online friends on Discord that I talk to a little bit.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I have 1 friend who is into hardcore/indie stuff who is really into those conversations.

The rest of my friends play games but more "mainstream" ones, mainly Apex, Rocket league, Call of Dutys and things like that.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
all my buddies with a few exceptions play games at a pretty non casual level and everybody's like 40, professionals and in most cases with spouses and families.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I do but most are kinda quiet in their opinions, or a little _too_ into the meme-culture side of them that just make it awkward.

If anything, I need more non-gamer friends.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Most of my friends play games, but I guess the groups are different enough!

Middle School friends - casual life/farming sims with some final fantasy
High School friends - Nintendo games + big games on switch
College/Retail friends - my bread n butter gaming friends, we play most stuff together and talk about all genres. Def the most gaming savvy I would say.
Grad School friends - half casual switch fans (AC + the pandemic got a LOT of people in) + half PC friends.

My mom and brother also play some but are super casual.

Gaming is so prevalent nowadays it's hard to imagine not knowing anyone who plays.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and It feels strange to think of not having that discussion with friends. Like 3 of my best friends, my nieces/nephews, my brother in law, my wife, and some of my co workers I can talk to about games a lot if I want.

anecdotally more than half of the people I talk to games about are women as well.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
All of my friends play video games, so technically yes, but we almost never talk about video games since we have other hobbies, so I decided to answer no in the poll.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but mostly just for mainstream modern games and not frequently. For old games discussion, I need the internet.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't known a single person IRL who has ever given me the impression that they've played any video game, ever, even on their phone, for at least 15 years.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Only one or two that I can actually talk about single player games with lol. Most of my friends just play CoD or 2k if anything

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I do. Not local, but I regularly play with my brother in law and some mutual friends, we have group text threads where we mostly chat about games etc.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
No. There's so much variety in gaming now, it's actually extremely hard to find people with the same tastes. Some only care for couch coop, some for the online competitive scene, some are the FIFA/CoD/very mainstream crowd, some are JRPG weebs, some play lots of indies, some play lots of AAAs.

While I know maybe one or two people that fit into each, there's very little crossover and most don't really care for other gaming niches outside of their own. So no, I don't know anyone who plays the same sorts of games as me (basically anything goes as long as it's single player), and therefore I have no one to talk about it with. I guess I am in pretty deep since it's my main hobby and I branch out a lot within it, but it's kinda sad I can barely find someone who's played a single game that I have within the past 5 years.

Even when it comes to my online friends, outside of the odd Switch game, that still remains true. Feels like a hobby I can't really share with anyone, and that sucks. No ones interested. Just given up and treat it as a taboo subject at this point. Got quite a few people I can talk about anime and some other nerdy shit with, but none for games.