• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Price you won't go over?

• There is no price point, sky is the limit

Votes: 277 24.1%
  • $599

Votes: 201 17.5%
  • $499

Votes: 341 29.7%
  • $399

Votes: 168 14.6%
  • $299

Votes: 37 3.2%
  • I never buy consoles at launch

Votes: 124 10.8%

• Total voters

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The value of the Xbox ecosystem has blown my mind this last year, I haven't played my PS Pro in an age, so the sky is the limit for me for the series X as I probably won't even buy a PS5 this time round.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
No price barrier for me, as long as the hardware justifies it.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Depends on whether it'll be my primary gaming platform that I'll be playing most new releases for that generation on. If yes, then I'm willing to shell out up to €500, tho I'd rather just put that money towards upgrading my PC. If it's meant as a secondary, then €350 is my max. €400 if a game I want is included.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
If I want to play a particular game badly enough, then there's no price that a console manufacturer is likely to charge that I wouldn't pay. That said, $599.99 isn't quite my ceiling, so I choose the "sky's the limit" option, as I'd probably go at least $100-200 higher for better storage options, even with a lower-cost base option.

Wedginald

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
No limit. In fact, I typically always hope that they cost more, because I figure if its that much, the hardware or components must be that powerful to justify the cost. Basically, I would always be on the side of less compromises or concessions made in terms of power, to hit lower price points.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
400 cause getting a console in the launch window is rarely worth it. I still remember having nothing I'm interested in after bloodborne for a whole year and the ps3 was even worse and that wasn't even launch window.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't have a price barrier as long as the hardware is worth the cost, but it has to be cheaper than a decently powerful gaming rig. Say, under 1500 euros.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Not anymore. I see a console as a one time investment for the years to come, and I want my games to perform and look as best as possible.

I don't have a price barrier as long as the hardware is worth the cost, but it has to be cheaper than a decently powerful gaming rig. Say, under 1500 euros.
Yeah, basically this.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
No limit. Looking forward to the Series X. Great hardware for next gen. Expecting a few good and familiar launch titles. Gamepass. BC. I won't be bored come the holidays.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
400 cause getting a console in the launch window is rarely worth it. I still remember having nothing I'm interested in after bloodborne for a whole year and the ps3 was even worse and that wasn't even launch window.

There's backbards compat this time though. I know i will be playing mostly PS4 games at first on my PS5, but that doesn't matter. Hoping tons of games get enhancements from the get go.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
There's backbards compat this time though. I know i will be playing mostly PS4 games at first on my PS5, but that doesn't matter. Hoping tons of games get enhancements from the get go.
Sure but also if it's 500 I feel like I can wait maybe even until the mid gen refresh. I already have a PC for a ton of the multiplats and the only ps4 exclusive I would consider only playing on a better console since I feel no rush is days gone. I def learned my lesson with the ps4, I don't regret getting it on the day that bloodborne released but in retrospect I also really didn't need to play it right there at that time def could have waited until the pro.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$500 is my absolute max and even then it would be a maybe.

$400 is a more comfortable number but even then I know the Series X wont be $400 and if the PS5 is that much its going to be a decent chunk less powerful than the Series X.

I think next gen is going to be the first one where I don't get a console on launch day.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure but also if it's 500 I feel like I can wait maybe even until the mid gen refresh. I already have a PC for a ton of the multiplats and the only ps4 exclusive I would consider only playing on a better console since I feel no rush is days gone. I def learned my lesson with the ps4, I don't regret getting it on the day that bloodborne released but in retrospect I also really didn't need to play it right there at that time def could have waited until the pro.

If it's just for the exclusives i get your jam. My PS4 is my main platform.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
This is not 2006/2013 anymore, many people wouldn't mind a higher tier $999 premium entertainment system. My phone, speakers, TV and gpu cost as much so why shouldn't the entertainment system.

The PS4 Pro was a letdown, give me something that is way ahead of the base console, premium materials and components included.

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
Nope, no limit..
I'll buy PS5 on Day 1, whatever it will cost. just as i did with every PlayStation console to date

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
For Nintendo....I'd have a hard time saying no to anything $350 and under......for PS5 and XboxSX? I'll not buy it till it is $300.....maybe not even then. I have a gaming laptop, a ps4 and one x....all I want to play is my switch. This has been the case since the switch launched.

chrisdm

Oct 27, 2017
Northeast United States
Don't do that to me. Don't even let the idea of a JSRF Remaster or new JSR cross my mind. Sega could launch a Dreamcast 2 with base PS4 specs tomorrow and if it had a new JSR on it I'd have to hand all of my ability to purchase things to my partner for safekeeping.

Good on ya for moving into the never buying a console at launch crowd. The hype is intense, but worth weathering. I don't know if I'll make it to the first hardware refresh (that depends on what games actually come out and when), but I can almost definitely make it to the first price drop or decent sale. That's no matter what price there is at launch.

It absolutely is worth weathering. We'll have to check in with each other and see how long we last hahah!

Your post is exactly why I love coming to ResetEra regardless of some other community members. Thanks for being dope! Let's continue to hope for JSR anything together (please Sega?).

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
$600 or so should probably be the limit for me, but I'd at least want to get an extra controller with the system at that price point. No way I'm paying upwards of 1000. Might as well shell out for a new computer at that point.

Not saying I'll buy at launch though.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I personally feel anything tech related above $500 makes my decision harder. I can afford it, but yeah. Felt good about buying a 1k suit that I'm probably going to use at top, twice a year, but spending half of that on something I would use a hell lot more feels bad. I love clothes as much as gaming, but easier spending money on clothes than tech, the mind is a strange place.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I mean, my PC was $2K and my TV was $2K. I have no problem spending even that much on a console if I feel it's worth it.

That being said, I would have a hard time seeing how a console can justify a price over $600, especially at launch when games are slim pickings.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Purely depends on the exclusives.

I mean I spent 2K on peripherals just to play one game, so...this is not really all that different.