Oct 27, 2017
Last week, I was remembering how I used to be hyped as fuck for Christmas when I was a child.

Back when my grandmother was alive (may she rest in peace), there was always this big fucking party with tons of people, music, food, gifts and what have you. Then she slowly fell ill, the family finances took a nose dive and...well, lets say all that is no more.

Also, there was always hype for the Christmas catalogs, TV commercials. All those stores decorated with Christmas stuff, everything felt magical

So when I was an (edgy) teenager up to some years ago, Christmas was extremely meh. Like, any other day of the year.

But I have slowly been recovering my excitement for this part of the year. I'm in fact listening to Christmas music right now (yeah I'm that guy). Watching all those Christmas decorations feeds my nostalgia, everything seems to be recovering its magic, to me.

What about you, ERA?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I just hate how early Christmas comes. By the time the actual holiday comes around I'm ready to be done with it.

I'm not even a big Halloween fan and i think that holiday is better suited to be stretched out.

Oct 25, 2017
I have kids. The excitement they have is infectious - so yes. We decorate as a family the day after Thanksgiving. It's a combination of nostalgia and new traditions with the kids, but I feel the Christmas hype. I'm usually post Thanksgiving though - I enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday too.

Oct 25, 2017
What you're going through is normal. I barely cared about holidays after I grew up, but especially having kids helped a lot. Most of the fun comes from the excitement from kids, though family and engaged friends in general is what really helps keep the spirit going.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yeh, I went through a similar phase during my teenage years, but I definitely look forward to seeing family and just feeling the spirit during the Christmas season. Definitely brings back fond memories from my youth.

I do hate how early Christmas starts in NA, it makes it feel so much less significant when it actually comes.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I love Thanksgiving but by Christmas I'm burnt out and the post Christmas blues is usually a bummer.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Even though I never was a Christian, nor did my family ever celebrate Christmas, as a kid I too felt excitement over during this time. My family did have parties during Christmas cause everyone usually had work off etc..also the holidays spirit on the ads movies and stores, yeah it worked on me.

Now it's yeah nothing. It's cute to see decorations in places but that's about it from me chief. Christmas means I can sleep in.

negreenfield

Oct 25, 2017
As others have stated, it gets weird for a time there in your 20s where you hate it but now that I have kids I get pretty excited overall. I still can't stand the actual shopping part but I've definitely come back to the enjoyment factor once decorations are up. I cook most of the food for Thanksgiving and Christmas too so I can pick what I want so that's pretty sweet.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
for some reason i got really into the christmas spirit today. was listening to the frank sinatra christmas album, made myself hot chocolate with whipped cream and sprinkles and streamed the first couple harry potter movies. so yeah i still get excited for christmas, it's the comfiest time of the year.

Oct 30, 2017
I love the holiday season. Anytime when I can watch Love Actually and binge hot cocoa is a great time.

The only thing I wish I could still do would be to go through a Toy R' Us catalog and circle the gifts I'd want for Christmas. Now I just go on Amazon and click Buy Now like a neanderthal.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
I think it feels different if you're in a relationship/have kids/live with other people who love the holidays.

I'm a solid no to all three, I like holidays but other than maybe hanging a few lights around I generally don't get all that excited. It is an indicator on how much I need to save in order to buy people gifts.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Most enjoyable time of year because it gets slightly cooler and less humid and I also enjoy the holidays. The rest of the year just feels like build up for October, November and December.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Of course. Christmas in Puerto Rico is the best shit ever. Plus seeing my nephews get excited over christmas gets me excited too.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Only for time off. Unfortunately most of my time is spent at either my parents' or my in-laws' houses, so that leaves little time for me and my wife to relax and enjoy our time together. I'm starting to dislike the holidays in general because of the pressure we get from each group to spend time with them.

Oct 28, 2017
is that you faith hill?

Last week, I was remembering how I used to be hyped as fuck for Christmas when I was a child.

Back when my grandmother was alive (may she rest in peace), there was always this big fucking party with tons of people, music, food, gifts and what have you. Then she slowly fell ill, the family finances took a nose dive and...well, lets say all that is no more.

Also, there was always hype for the Christmas catalogs, TV commercials. All those stores decorated with Christmas stuff, everything felt magical

So when I was an (edgy) teenager up to some years ago, Christmas was extremely meh. Like, any other day of the year.

But I have slowly been recovering my excitement for this part of the year. I'm in fact listening to Christmas music right now (yeah I'm that guy). Watching all those Christmas decorations feeds my nostalgia, everything seems to be recovering its magic, to me.

What about you, ERA?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=neDTNYlEWIo

Oct 27, 2017
2 kids. It's the second one's first Christmas (technically second, he was only a week old the first time). Hell yeah i'm excited.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
It starts so early now that I get burnt out by the time Christmas actually rolls around. Like I went to look at Halloween candy on Halloween and the Christmas stuff was out already. I walked to work today and the mall had its holiday decorations up (I guess this one is not as egregious because you could argue they are just there for winter).

IT'S TOO EARLY

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Hell yeah! I love Christmas, usually take the week before and the week after off work so end up with close to 3 weeks to spend soe proper time with friends and family relaxing,

It's an amazing time of year.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I. LOVE. CHRISTMAS

It's my favourite time of year. I am beginning to get hyped and started the Christmas lists for presents to get. (I have got nearly half organised)

The Christmas tree will be up in 22 days which is my families tradition. We put the tree up when The Late Late Toy Show is on and it's on the 30th November thus year.

It's a bit too early for Christmas music but I can't wait until I dig out the CDs next month

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, despite my wife literally trying to ruin it every year because she doesn't like Christmas.

It's one of my favorite times of the year. I love it, even though I really dislike the winter, I've always consistently loved Christmas time, Christmas eve, and Christmas day. I don't get hyped for Christmas, but I really enjoy so much about Christmas. It makes me really sad how much my wife is driven on hating the Holidays, and I just put up with it and enjoy the small moments of mirth and good cheer, like drinking boozy egg nog at 11pm on Christmas eve watching A Christmas Story.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
cant get excited for christmas anymore, it's part of dark history in my life since I was a kid.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I don't like holidays. I'll celebrate them and enjoy myself, but I don't get into them like others I know.

My fiance already has our tree up, fully decorated.

It's going to be a long season.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, because it means people start realizing the true greatness that is Jingle All the Way.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I get excited for everything, so yes. But I don't feel Christmas excitement until closer to

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm sick of Christmas by the time Christmas is actually here. Seriously, why do we need to start celebrating the "season" a month before the holiday.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've not been excited about christmas for nearly 10 years, but I won't be single this christmas *touch wood* so I'm literally counting down the day, gonna cook a roast and buy loads of presents.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I do, but the constant rush to shop is always annoying. I just gotta dedicate a day to spending time on amazon and ordering everything I need because I never want to step into a mall (that doesn't have a DDR machine) ever again.

But the event? The spending time with family? The drinking tequila while eating chitlens? The playing video games in the little window of the pnp feature during a football game? Yeah man, the holidays are great.

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup, I try to carry on my dads Christmas cheer and how he celebrated it as a time for everyone to just try and be happy and get along together for a moment out of the year.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is me last week

ez75oc8709vz.jpg

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
My Christmas spirit is GONE. I went from being unable to sleep on Christmas Eve to totally forgetting about it until the week before.

Things will probably change if I start a family of my own, but as of right now, I'm just in it for the Christmas breakfast with my grandparents.

Christmas songs and freshly baked bread with ham & eggs >>>

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Yes, Christmas is still my favorite holiday by far. Although I'm more excited for the holiday season than I am for the actually day of Christmas.

I really love the "feeling" of the holidays. The music, the snow, the cookie baking. I'm a sucker for all that cornball stuff.

I've never gotten sick of any of it like a lot of people seem to.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly excited for the time off of work these days. My work gives us Christmas Eve and day as well as New Year's Eve and day so I save my last few vacation days to take that whole week off.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still do. I love the whole Christmas aesthetic. I love spending time with my family and giving them gifts. Most of all, my bitter, dark heart loves the cold and dreary atmosphere. I can't wait for it to get chilly and snowy.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I enjoy that atmosphere of Thanksgiving and the holidays and I think it's mostly because it's the one period of time where my immediate family is ALL under one roof (my sister lives further and works a lot and my father lives outside the US) and we also have dogs. As far as holiday spirit goes I make sure I at least get my Die Hard and Christmas Vacation viewings in. It's when the new year rolls around that it feels like the fun is gone.

Edit: Also the Wii U holiday eShop music is like the best thing to happen to the holidays in forever

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Not for presents but i always like the being together part. And i hope for snow and ice.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Christmas, I'm not so big on anymore. It can fall on a weird day where you just have Christmas off and the things you loved as a child you can't really get back. Half of the time I'm just waiting until everything returns to normal during the last week of December.

Thanksgiving is probably better than Christmas for me, as its more days off guaranteed and its just that one day. No parties, no secret santas, no crazy over-commercialization drowning out everything. That wed night before thanksgiving can't be beat.

I don't get involved with black Friday in any way, so that may be why I prefer thanksgiving. I think I'm gonna take an extra day off around the four day break I'm gonna get just to seal the deal.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Family time is good, and seeing my little nephew hyped for toys brings some nostalgia but Christmas blows.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I'm excited for it because of my kids, friends, and family.

My house is the gathering spot for the family and multiple visits throughout the season. This is also the first year that I'm running the show for X-Mas dinner, as my mother and father in law are finally agreeing to sit down and relax while I handle it. I think I'll involve my kids as best I can this year, though it will be hard to pull them away from Smash Bros, an already planned holiday gift.

I don't need gifts anymore, but the kids really like giving them (something that makes me really happy).