• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Mario 64 creepy

• Yes I am creeped out by Super Mario 64

Votes: 199 19.6%
  • No wtf is this??

Votes: 697 68.8%
  • Some early 3D games are unsettling, but not Mario 64

Votes: 117 11.5%

• Total voters

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Several people find Mario 64 offputting. It's an empty world with basically no NPCs. I never agreed with it, but hell, it exists. I think that several early 3D games like Gex have a very weird vibe to them though (in a way that the creators didn't intend).

There has been several YouTube videos about it

Esquire Magazine even did an article on it

https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a34061540/super-mario-64-3d-all-stars-review/

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
No. Not even for one second. People are really weird trying to read into things like that.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No. The game perfectly contextualizes the empty worlds, they're magically created, not actual worlds.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"Creepy" isn't how I would describe it, but there's a distinct atmosphere and vibe to Mario 64 that I think is at least partially due to the technology of the time.

Aug 10, 2019
giphy.gif

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was creeped out when I was little. Early 3D games scared me. The wide open areas, the deep dark caves, dungeons, and underwater... I didn't play through Ocarina of Time till I was in high school. Mega Man Legends 2 was also creepy.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
It had scary parts as a kid, mad piano freaked Me out like crazy, even just big boos haunt in general. Also the infinite staircase music made me scared too for some reason.

poll needs an option for scary as a kid

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing people that found it creepy played it when they were quite young and their imagination was running wild.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game released at a very particular era where not only were a lot of us still getting accustomed to 3D, but a lot of us were still young to the point that we lacked a proper frame of reference for a lot of the things it tried to pull. Certainly there's some uncanny vibes in getting around that, and even the lack of understanding what was a bit of a rabbit hole for its time. I absolutely loved the game as a kid and it's still an all time favorite, played it for hours every day, but for sure it occasionally had an ambiance brought upon by an onslaught of unknown variables I just straight up didn't really understand at the time. The horrifying eel was one of them, randomly going downstairs to find a rabbit skipping in the pond was another, then running up the basement stairway to see a ghost spawn out of nowhere only piled onto things. Oh and just the uncomfortable feeling of being gobbled up whole by a fish creature in Tiny Huge Island. I'm sure I'm missing some other stuff. Then there was some more abstract stuff like the aforementioned lack of NPCs, Toads fading in and out of the world, and certain lines of dialogue. I played this game not being very adept at English for the time, so a lot of passages of text that weren't even really "hints" had me just confused and unnerved, such as being asked to walk quietly in the hallway or not becoming Nessie's lunch. Lines like those just had me on high alert not wanting to do something that'd come to get me.

My favorite story I've brought up here a lot is how as a kid I never understood what the deal with those butterflies were. Evidently a lot of people on these boards don't even realize that if you punch a butterfly, it has the chance of spawning either a 1-up or a heat seeking bomb. Because of the game's weird collision detection, it wasn't entirely uncommon for some butterflies to kind of detonate themselves. For whatever reason this used to happen a lot to me in my later childhood phases of playing the game, and they spawned those bombs so commonly that after a point I actually thought the game was out to get me. Stuff like that is why I feel like the Mario 64 creepypasta stuff about personalized cartridges and specific mysterious elements of the game kind of chips away at some kind of repressed faux-trauma from my childhood. Though I'm still adult enough to find it all absolutely funny and fascinating.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
Nah I was a skittish kid but nothing in SM64 put me off too much. OOT and MM on the other hand were basically horror games to me in certain sections. There's just a particular vibe N64 games give off that's hard to put into words.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
The game has a few dark or creepy moments, but only a few. The piano in the ghost mansion, the giant undereater eels, and maybe one or two others. Not enough for me to label the whole game creepy though.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i played mario 64 as a young child. i never thought it was creepy at all. and i'm a fucking scared ass bitch who jumps at my own shadow
no, the piano doesnt make the entire game creepy. unless you were really creeped out by the boos. in which case i dont really know what to say

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
YES. I'm so happy this is being talked about. The whole castle is so vacant and lonely feeling. It's creepy as shit.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if "creepy" is the right word, especially in the context of people doing creepypasta horror story stuff.

Eerie and surreal, maybe? The small environments often have a lonely feel to them that can feel a bit melancholy or strange, especially if you've never seen a full 3D game before.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
The Haunted Mansion was creepy, I guess some Bowser stages could be too, as a whole though, it wasn't. That eel gave me the spooks though, and let's not forget about the piano. Though honestly, Ocarina of Time was way creepier, specially the Bottom of the Well, which I found creepier than the Shadow Temple. I wish we got some more lore about those places because what the heck was that place doing there? But old games be old.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's not something I've ever reflected on in-the-moment, but when confronted with it I'd say yeah, Super Mario 64 can definitely be a lonely game. Especially in a more modern context where if SM64 were made today you'd have Lakitu talking in your ear the entire game, tutorializing things for you.

Mario being completely alone almost the entire game could be seen as being somewhat unsettling (although lots of characters do talk to him in bits and pieces). But I never felt that way when I've played.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, just the levels that are supposed to be creepy. What do I vote?

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
The Boo showing up in the back hallway of the castle when he never showed up there before when we unlocked Big Boo's Haunt made me afraid to touch the cartridge because I thought it was haunted or something.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Specific aspects of Super Mario 64, like the giant eel in Jolly Roger Bay and that fucking piano in Big Boo's Haunt, are creepy; the former due to its simplistic early 3D model and the latter thanks to the jump-scare aspect. But in general, no, I don't think so.

I think other early-3D era N64 and PlayStation games like Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire and the original Tomb Raider can still unintentionally come off as creepy, though, due to some unrefined enemy character models.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
get youtubers bored enough and they make a video about anything being creepy

theres probably one how goof troop is about goofy and max in hell and donut county is an allegory for mental ilnesses

Specific aspects of Super Mario 64, like the giant eel in Jolly Roger Bay and that fucking piano in Big Boo's Haunt, are creepy; the former due to its simplistic early 3D model and the latter thanks to the jump-scare aspect. But in general, no, I don't think so.

I think other early-3D era N64 and PlayStation games like Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire and the original Tomb Raider can still unintentionally come off as creepy, though, due to some unrefined enemy character models.

blast corps scared my dumbass kid self far more
those time limits and beeping and the pressure of not touching anything or NUCLEAR BLAST
now that's something that can scar a wee child

Oct 25, 2019
The early 3d games definitely have some unintended creepy elements, particularly if you played them as a child.

There's enough detail in the environments and main characters of these early 3d games to keep you engaged as intended, but then you come across an unintentionally weird looking NPC, or a room that has some weird texturing or some of that eerie fog covering up the draw distance, and all of a sudden your developing child brain can't quite jive with what these primitive graphics are trying to accomplish and it starts filling in the blanks.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Yeah because it's more like someone in a weird soulless-looking Mario mascot costume than an actual Mario.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say that first video was so desperate to make such a weak case that I found myself offput by the entire idea despite starting pretty open to the concept.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
The early 3d games definitely have some unintended creepy elements, particularly if you played them as a child.

i played these games as a child, all i could think is "wow these new 3d grafx look siiiiiiiiick". i didnt find them creepy or odd i thought they were amazing

i only see this idea of "early 3D had this creepy uncanny valley thingy" from young people, honestly

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Not particularly. Anything I find creepy is usually intended to be, like the piano.