• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you underlevelled in your RPGs?

• Yes

Votes: 67 26.7%
  • Nah lol

Votes: 184 73.3%

• Total voters

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I'm a completionist so I always do optional content before progressing through the main quest-line. As such, I'm never underleveled unless I specifically enter a high-level area at the beginning of the game.

No one is talking about grinding though. You simply explore and do side activities that contain different stories. While doing so, you can a few more levels. Grinding is doing the same thing over and over again.

Leveling has a weird psychological effect on some people. As soon as they see numbers they can raise, that becomes their top priority. The longer it takes to raise those numbers, the "grindier" it feels, even if the stuff they're doing to raise them is actually entertaining. We saw a lot of that when people complained about the "grinding" in AC: Origins and Odyssey.

To me, grinding has always meant "doing tedious stuff for the sole purpose of leveling or getting loot." If I'm having fun, I'm not grinding.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
The same thing in OP happened to me in I am Setsuna. I strolled merrily through the game until this boss came up and trashed my party effortlessly four times in a row. I look it up online and surprise!, every single video and guide recommends 10-15 levels above my current. So I grind 10 levels, and I finally stand a chance.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I play on easy difficulty and only do side quests if they are good, but I never avoid fights and look everywhere in the dungeons. Been fine so far.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
There are other genres of you just want a more linear experience and don't actually explore, do side quests, or even participate in most battles thrown your way.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I only have two ways of playing RPG's I either tower over bosses with 10-15 more levels then them. Or I am pitifully underleveld when I face off against them by like 8-9 levels. I have no idea how this keeps happening.
I totally do, I get under leveled when I'm checking out of the game and not dicking around like devs want me to.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
On my first playthough no, I am always overlevelled.
I like to take my time to understand what the world is about and the people within which includes doing most of the side quests. We are talking about a RPG afterall what's the point to rush straight to the objective? For that I can play any other action game.

If the game is interesting enough for me to do a second playthough, then I would be mostly underlevelled.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I'm usually pretty overleveled because I do a ton of the optional combat and if I get to a boss that I can't beat after a few tries, I'll grind and brute force instead of coming up with a strategy because I'm stubborn.

Though some postgames I feel entirely too underleveled. Octopath and DQXI to name a few.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nevah.gif

I'm completionist type, except for the first few hours, I'm almost always over-leveled.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Only when I do it intentionally. Mostly because I think most games are balanced so if you ignore most side quests, (if it is a game that has side quests that give exp.), the game is still very beatable, and since I normally don't ignore side quests, I'm over-leveled. If I do under-level it's solely because I want boss fights to feel challenging like when I was a kid, and when an RPG/JRPG can do that without leveling being an issue then it's a beautiful thing.

OP
OP
sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
There are other genres of you just want a more linear experience and don't actually explore, do side quests, or even participate in most battles thrown your way.
Yeah I mostly play games in other genres. But every so often I'll buy an RPG (like Kingdom Hearts) because it offers something I can't get somewhere else. In the case of KH, I play those for the Disney/Squaresoft worlds. In the case of DQX1, I bought that one because the character designer is from Dragonball/ChronoTrigger fame

Some RPGs are right up my alley though like Zelda BoTW. But that one is like my favorite current gen RPG.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
I tend to clear an area and then go back and clear it again to try and stay ahead of my levels, but just by a little bit. I hate being over leveled and would rather scrape by a fight by switching strategies.

I also don't think RPGs are very conducive to my style of play as they almost always demand grinding so I also don't play many RPG's anymore.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
If you don't run from random battles (older games) or just fight most enemies you come across, its almost impossible to be under levelled.

Do that and you can breeze through the main part of the game with little to no strategy involved. I'm not even talking about if you do sidequests along the way.