• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
Raise your hand if you suffered through the great Goldeneye shortage of 1997. It was near impossible to find a physical copy of that game on store shelves. And specialty retailers were selling it for a minimum of $69.99.

Keep your hand raised if you can scrounge together a copy of Goldeneye, four N64 controllers and three friends to come over on a Tuesday night for a little multi-player action.

Keep your hand raised if you still fear the digital only future.

I love my physical game collection, but I went all digital in 2013 because of the convenience.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I dont fear it but i dont like it, they have too much control over your games, never forget you re pretty much renting a license...

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I've already gone all digital and I have more games than I'll realistically play to completion at much less financial cost than when I bought all physical games, and I'm trying a huge variety of games that I never would've taken a chance on before, so I'm pretty happy with digital.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm convinced that video game preservation is only a concern of the hardcore gamers and there is nothing that we can do to convince video game companies to care about it. Once the money dries up/licenses expire cut costs and move on. Its corporate art at its core, especially games from AAA publishers. Microsoft doesn't consider Jet Set Radio Future to be a piece of art worthy of a museum, even if some of us do. Plus there is no financial incentive to save shit. Endless payment is the smart move for them. Regulation will never help us. Its their product to sell, discontinue, destroy, alter, you name it.

Gamers who care just have to save as much as they can when they can. Things will be lost. Things have been lost.

Support DRM free when you can.

I feel that. I hate it, but I get it. Most of the art we consume is a corporate production and a lot of it is lost. I guess the only thing that makes it feel worse in gaming is that this is a young medium and we are able to watch it happen before our very eyes. You can read about the tragedy that is the lost cuts of Metropolis or all the vault fires at Fox and MGM that happened decades ago. But it's a lot harder to know you're losing access to something you lived through.

Losing P.T. changed me, man.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Maybe this has already been discussed at lenght time and time again, but I think about it more and more now when this generation is coming to an end.

I've been playing video games since the Master System and NES era. Nowadays I don't sell games anymore, I just buy because I want them in my collection. It's a nice feeling to see the number of games for a console grow one by one. I do know that this era is likely coming to an end, though. Sooner or later. Just as streaming have pretty much killed peoples' interest in CD's and DVD's, it will affect the video game industry as well. Microsoft and now Google are pushing hard toward all-digital, and even though the next Xbox will probably have a disc drive, the rumoured Xbox One S All-Digital Edition shows us where Microsoft really want to go. What is probably just around the corner because most customers will welcome the idea.

Recently I bought a Wii U (talk about being late, I know) and while the system has tons of issues, it has a pretty cool retro feeling to it. I've tried 15 games during a week or so and it's been a nostalgic experience to just replace one game after the other without having to sit through huge updates. I fear that this is a part of the industry that will never come back, maybe except for how handhelds will still work for yet some time.

Digital has lots of advantages, and I like Game Pass as a supplement. I have to admit that I too buy less DVD's and Blu-rays nowadays when Netflix and other services are around. But there's a lot not offered on Netflix and HBO. There are tons of documentaries and smaller movies that will never show up there. Will those even be accessable in the future? And when Stadia, XCloud, Game Pass, PS Now and games for download is all we got, how will that affect what games we can play? Will it make the industry more diverse? Should we just accept that in less than ten years time, we can't buy games in a store anymore?

Do you have similiar concerns? Are you at all emotional about your physical video game collection and fear how it will be in the future when you can't expand it anymore? Or am I just getting old and grumpy here?

PC gamers must have felt that way some 10 years ago, but they successfully transitioned to the mostly digital world, and nothing disasterous happened.

I don't fear the all-digital future, it's going to be far better than the partially digital present. Most today's games just don't function (well) as purely physical releases, you will need digital enhancements in the form of patches and content updates to enjoy them fully, so why not embrace digital to its full extent then? It's far more convenient, and the world is never going back to fully physical, it's just not happening.

So with companies who get digital (like Microsoft), I'm not afraid to fully embrace it, and it's great. With companies who don't (Nintendo, and to some extent Sony) I'm more apprehensive, but the problem is not in digital, it's in those platform holders. When they fully embrace it, I will gladly make the switch.

Oct 31, 2017
I just hope the demand for physical games keeps them there. Even DVDs continue to be manufactured despite Blu-Ray/Ultra HD discs, and Vinyl records made a comeback and carved a niche in the market despite digital downloads and streaming.

I don't fear the all-digital future, it's going to be far better than the partially digital present. Most today's games just don't function (well) as purely physical releases, you will need digital enhancements in the form of patches and content updates to enjoy them fully, so why not embrace digital to its full extent then? It's far more convenient, and the world is never going back to fully physical, it's just not happening.

I could probably play something like RE2make without its patches if necessary, but I do like that publishers release GOTY editions with all content.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Hate is a better word than fear to describe my feelings towards it. Less control for the consumer is never a good thing.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I feel that. I hate it, but I get it. Most of the art we consume is a corporate production and a lot of it is lost. I guess the only thing that makes it feel worse in gaming is that this is a young medium and we are able to watch it happen before our very eyes. You can read about the tragedy that is the lost cuts of Metropolis or all the vault fires at Fox and MGM that happened decades ago. But it's a lot harder to know you're losing access to something you lived through.

Losing P.T. changed me, man.

P.T. was the canary in the coal mine. That's worse case scenario and over all, despite some grumbling from the hardcore gamers, it was forgotten pretty easily.

More games will go this way. It sucks but we're really mostly powerless to stop this.

The only positive here is that hard drives can be pulled and you can easily make backup copies of them.

Nov 28, 2017
I embraced digital-only games in 2013 when I bought my launch PS4.
So for me it's the present, not the future, and I love it. The elimination of discs has made my gaming at least 20% more enjoyable.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I do not need to have a bunch of plastic l have no use for lying around my place, so I not only don't fear the digital future, I yearn for it.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have embraced it, in PC and all my consoles.

In fact, I would say that I started actively disliking changing disks. I like the boxes, sure, but even that has become a little bit of a hassle, space-wise.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I could probably play something like RE2make without its patches if necessary, but I do like that publishers release GOTY editions with all content.

Yes, some games are fine, but there are others that are very barebones and/or buggy on their initial release. Like I said, there's no going back to the times where that was not a regular occurence, and the very popular GaaS model depends on digital delivery to even exist.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope , all digital here. Its liberating tbh.

The joy of going to a mates house and carrying your library with you via a sign in. Its pretty damn convenient.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'm more scared from streaming taking over than digital, right now.

Not having a box and a disc is one thing, but losing all control and all measures of preservation forever... that seems bleak.

Sometimes, it feels like digital is a stepping stone towards a complete loss on all ownership and control versus convenience and access.

Not the point of the thread I know and perhaps fear mongering due to Stadia but...

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went digital-only on the Vita. In hindsight a big mistake as Sony can pull the plug at anytime. Luckily, hacks make sure you can backup everything forever.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Digital that gives me a method of backup up my data locally, or DRM free installers, are fine by me.
Things that are handled entirely by the company that I've purchased from leaves me feeling uneasy (which is why I make very few of them).

Jul 10, 2018
my games were an anchor when I had them, when I sold them, I missed them, I think it's a state of mind. That being said, all digital is one step closer to games-as-a-service, which essentially means we will be paying full price for renting a game long term. At least when I bought Brave Fencer Musashi for 40 bucks in October 1998, it was mine.

We're already in a weird place now where disc preservation groups are preserving ps4 blu-rays, which is fine and all, but they will be a broken version (that would be fixed by a launch day patch, which is a good deal harder to preserve.

I think it's also degrading the good practice of game developers completing games before shipping them.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Nope I embrace it. Being older with a family and have moved a few times .. physical things are annoying. Things get lost, broken, and needs somewhere to be stored. With digital I can watch movies or play games anywhere I can log in. Multiple rooms of my house, in the hotel room, while visit family in other states. It's 150% better for me.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I have some fear over the streaming future, not the digital future.

All that separates Digital from Physical, is a medium. As long as there are creative people who can put a digital game on a physical medium is a self-contained format, all-digital distribution won't result in games being lost.

Streaming, however, can result in game availability being completely and irreversibly at the whim of the platform holders and publishers. It's a degree of control over content that I'm not comfortable with. A TV broadcast or video stream can be recorded and preserved, but a streamed game cannot.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Digital is fine, but I fear the business side as a consumer: shutting down digital stores and ending access to previously purchased content for example; having less ownership and rights; just getting a limited license with certain usage restrictions, like no modding allowed; unable to transfer software ownership, etc. Who do I trust with my digital library? Steam, a privately owned company? Epic with Chinese majority shareholder? Console platform holders with product life cycles?

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Before I feared it because I didn't really understand it, but the older I get the less clutter I want. The only clutter that I want physically are books; and most times I purchase those digitally as well.

Bring on the digital future

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't fear it, but it does suck for people who like to hold onto their consoles and games.

Even though I almost never play them, it is somehow comforting to me that if I want to load up Contra on the NES I can always do it because I have the original hardware and cartridge.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't fear a digital only future, I'm 90% digital with my PS4 and 100% with Vita

I'm more worried about streaming

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
When I switched from console to PC gaming back in 2012 I also went 99% digital. Not having a bunch of space occupied by plastic is nice.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
No, I fully embraced it near the end of the previous gen and I'm never going to buy physical games again unless I have no choice. As for streaming, I likely won't be getting too invested in it but can see it being a useful tool if there's a game on a platform I don't have, that I want to try.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have more or less embraced it since 2015. The majority of my purchases have been digital from that year since.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Before I feared it because I didn't really understand it, but the older I get the less clutter I want. The only clutter that I want physically are books; and most times I purchase those digitally as well.

Bring on the digital future

wnKlRVP.jpg

Yeah, I've been digital only on books since I purchased a 1st or 2nd gen Kindle.

The only caveat is I'm locked into buying each new Stephen King hardback for the rest of eternity. Started collecting his hardbacks around '87 (The Tommyknockers) and was able to fill in his back catalog at the time. Have been buying 1st Editions ever since.

It's so stupid 'cause I enjoy my collection but I wind up buying two copies every time he drops something new. 1 hardback, 1 digital, lol.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've been ready to go for all digital since 2014.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I don't, but I doubt that will happen. The other entertainment medias never actually switched to fully digital.

This is one thing that digital fear mongers never get: Digital and physical will always coexist.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I won't be partaking. I've never paid money for a digital game when there's a physical option and I'll never pay full retail price for a digital game that I don't own. It's particularly egregious here, where shops don't charge the MSRP, so the digital versions are significantly more expensive (e.g. Sekiro is £59.99 on PSN, £53.95 on Amazon, £49.85 on Simply Games).

The day that becomes the only option is the day I stop playing new games.

I should clarify that I'm not averse to digital on principle - most of my music comes from a streaming subscription, almost all my reading is on a Kindle, and I have 100+ movies in my iTunes library with maybe 4-5 a year bought on disc - but the games industry needs to come up with a better model before I'll consider it.