Do you expect new first-party titles to show up at the upcoming SOP beyond already announced ones?

• Yes, new first-party titles will show up

Votes: 257 49.5%
  • No, only already announced ones will show up

Votes: 262 50.5%

• Total voters

logash

Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice to see at least one new game especially considering that their pipeline looks a bit slim next year. That being said, I am pretty satisfied with just seeing Death Stranding.

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
Isn't Death Stranding second party?

I am still worried about how they will release DS2 on PC, I'm fine with having to wait a year, but please don't make an EGS deal…

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think DS2 will be there, is there any rumor to the contrary? I'd imagine DS2 will be on TGAs. They have to show something though, have to pitch the pro with a game at least
DS2 is planned for a TGS panel and past September State of Plays have happened around the time of TGS.

It's not impossible it will be there.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
IMO, if they want to really sell the PS5 Pro well then they would benefit from showing a new, must-have first party game that looks amazing.

penny toast

Feb 20, 2024
i'm in for Lies of P dlc teaser thats about it yeah have come to accept am not going see single game of interest until like 2032 yippee wahoo

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I expect some big titles at the 10 year anniversary VGAs. At this state of play, if it happens, DS2 and maybe the pro as the biggest things, maybe Fairgamedollar and rest are indies and third party.

New big sony game? Nah.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
d297a628ce733fb3bc536f49bfe859938e319090.gif

crying-eating-ice-cream-m28tcg0wf3uj36i4.gif

Wait there is a state of play happening?

Grubb seems to think so, along with others, not to mention the pro leak from bb probably means the box is out there among some sources, so they're probably getting ready to announce it

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they will. Despite this being an enthusiast board I'm consistently blown away by the fact that we're in September and some people think Sony's lineup this year is one or two games… not the 9 games they will have published by the end of December. 2025 will be packed. Shinobi mentioned that he knows there are a few big games coming next year from major first-party teams, not to mention the partner projects like Rise of the Ronin. I know you don't like leakers but he's as legit as it gets.

They'll have more stuff but it won't be the AAA single player first-party stuff that 'counts' for console list wars.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it even finished preproduction until Ragnarok was nearly finished.
Which would give it 2 to 3 years of full production and going off what we know from a developer at ND, for most games pre-production is the bulk of a game's development and full production is ~2 years. For a new IP on that scale we're looking at 6-7 years, so that tracks.

"Most games spend around 2 years in full production. Some a bit more, some a bit less. This is nothing uncommon at all. Even for a new IP. The majority of development time on new IPs is in pre-production with an extremely small team. Lots of demos are staged or dramatically change"

View: https://twitter.com/vaccaro3d/status/1663653922651901952

They'll have more stuff but it won't be the AAA single player first-party stuff that 'counts' for console list wars.
I don't even believe this. I think next year will still be as much SP focused for Sony just like it has been this year, if not more so. There are around 3-4 games that I reckon have a shot at making 2025 that aren't live service. For live service, my gut tell me that next year will be Horizon Online (Simon Larouche's project) and Marathon.

Krazie

Jun 6, 2022
Nah, they're waiting for the next Showcase.

Whether that's 2025...or 2026. Who knows with their current track record of holding them.

Plague-Doctor

Oct 23, 2023
Sony heard their devs complain about showing games too early, and so they swung that pendulum so far to the other side that the pendulum broke off and crashed through the wall. Astrobot was shown 4 months before release. 4 months from now is January and we know there are no "major franchise titles" before March 2025. I don't think they're showing anything new any time soon

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sony heard their devs complain about showing games too early, and so they swung that pendulum so far to the other side that the pendulum broke off and crashed through the wall. Astrobot was shown 4 months before release. 4 months from now is January and we know there are no "major franchise titles" before March 2025. I don't think they're showing anything new any time soon
Yeah, but not all games are suited to that 4 month marketing cycle. What works for Asobi and Astro Bot might not be suitable for a more serious, more narrative dense and higher budget game like Ghost of Tsushima 2 or whatever Santa Monica's new IP will be called.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Eh. I don't see it. If they have more things like Astro, please do.

I think that if you are expecting anything gigantic (e.g. Wolverine, Santa Monica game), you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I might be wrong but 🤷‍♂️

Oct 25, 2017
Not 1st party but if we don't see Ace Combat 8 Im legitimately worried it was one of those multiple BandaiNamco games that were secretly cancelled that they didn't name.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I think they could reveal their holiday 2025 game. Ghost of Tsushima 2 maybe. Similar to how they did it with God of War Ragnarok

PhillyPaw

Apr 11, 2021
I can see a new title being announced, but anyone think they're gonna blow their load and announce like 5 new AAA games at a time are setting themselves up.

Death Stranding 2 and w/e the new game that gets announced will be the 2025 titles. And that's good enough. Especially with GTA coming. People are gonna be wanting another showcase next year as well anyway so spread em out instead of announcing games way out. Didn't we just have another thread talking about this?

PhillyPaw

Apr 11, 2021
But when are they going to announce their first party lineup for 2025?

They have to show something at some point.

People said the same that for 2024 after SM2, and then at May's SoP we got TWO new FIRST party announcements for 2024 in Astro and Lego Horizon, in addition to a release date for Concord.

The poll suggests at minimum we'll see any games from Sony.

In truth, there will be no games at all. It'll just be a 25 minute show of Sony executives nervously glancing at each other. Then Miyamoto will walk on stage and go "Before we end, we've got one more thing to share." Then they'll reveal the Nintendo Switch 2.

The remaining time will just be spent cutting to audience reactions trying to process what they're seeing.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
All it will be is a Silksong shadow drop and Bloodborne 60fps patch, and it will be the best show ever.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Never expect megatons on SoP shit. But It would be very dumb to introduce PS5 Pro without new first-party studio games.

Jan 11, 2018
Which would give it 2 to 3 years of full production and going off what we know from a developer at ND, for most games pre-production is the bulk of a game's development and full production is ~2 years. For a new IP on that scale we're looking at 6-7 years.

Then why do sequels still take 5+ years these days, when you don't have to spend nearly as much time in prepro?

Anyways, I do hope you're right! Though historically ND has been a little more efficient than SMS.

Snake2024

May 15, 2024
Maybe the Venom game or Ghost of Tsushima 2, but I don't expect to see more than one new AAA game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Probably 1, with maybe a first showing of Wolverine too. Ghost 2 is my gut it's the next big game in the pipeline after DS2, so it I guess.

Dezpim

Mar 22, 2024
I'm fairly confident, Shinobi and Nate Drake have stated next year is going to be PS5's best so far which to me means more than Death Stranding and Fairgames. I suppose they could wait till the Game Awards though.

Nasu

Feb 11, 2021
Haven't there been talks of a Horizon Zero Dawn remake/remaster? I guess this is going to be their "one more thing" for the SoP lmao

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Then why do sequels still take 5+ years these days, when you don't have to spend nearly as much time in prepro?

Anyways, I do hope you're right! Though historically ND has been a little more efficient than SMS.
I don't think that's the case, pre-pro would be more or less the same. I think it's that more recently sequels have been more ambitious, and to some degree you can attribute longer times to the pandemic. TLoU Part II was like 2 games in one. The quality of Horizon FW was through the roof in many aspects. GT7 is significantly more feature rich compared to Sport. Helldivers 2 a hugely different game to the first one almost like a new IP. DS2, I would have expected to come out sooner, but Kojima is unpredictable and is probably attempting something even crazier with the renewed confidence of publisher.

Never expect megatons on SoP shit. But It would be very dumb to introduce PS5 Pro without new first-party studio games.
Do you mean introduce games that are launching with it on the same day? That wasn't the approach for PS4 Pro. It was mostly already released games that got Pro patches, so expect that. It'll probably have some sizzle trailer showing featured games like this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgWM0e6D9dM

Last edited:

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I think major new first party announcements will be saved for the big game shows like the Summer Games Fest or The Game Awards, usually as one of the first or last games to be shown. More eyeballs on it.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
It's an exclusive, but is death stranding really a 1st party game? I thought it was whatever kojima s company was called