• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Intermittent Fasting (IF) is all the rage these days. I didn't know when I made my IF thread a few years ago that it would blow up in the mainstream as much as it did.

I never trained fasted though, mostly because my gym was after work. Due to the quarantines and lack of commute I've been doing home workouts earlier before eating.

It definitely feels better. It could be a placebo obviously. But I feel less weighed down. Previously, I'd have a KIND bar or something. Nothing crazy heavy, but I also had lunch around 1 pm to get my workout in at 6:30 pm.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Not the same kind of fasting but I would still go to the gym during Ramadan. Didn't do much cardio during that time though

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
It depends on my schedule. I don't do IF, but I do prefer to cardio workouts in the morning before eating. It saves me time on waiting for digestion, and I also generally feel a little more alert while doing it.

I wouldn't exercise fasted if I had a race or some other competition, but for general cardio? Absolutely.

and also, it just makes the meal afterwards when I'm super hungry that much more enjoyable.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I only eat dinner most of the time so yeah.

I usually train after work and then eat 1-2 hours later.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I like to exercise in the morning before I eat anything. I feel so much better. I don't like exercising if I've eaten anytime in the last 4 hours

Epiphyte

Nov 4, 2017
I guess it depends on what we define as "fasted"

I avoid eating a large meal prior to going to the gym. If for no other reason, having to shit mid workout is the worst

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
If I exercise in the morning, then yes, though I don't purposefully eat anything prior unless I'm about to go out to hike, and take a few snacks along the way.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I have to run on an empty stomach - so I do it usually first thing. Any time I eat, even a few hours before running, I get super sick and nauseous.

I'll do a weights workout after I eat... but that's it.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
No I don't. I train in the mornings, and just have 2 breakfasts.

One super light meal before training and a bigger one after

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
From what I looked up when I first started IF, If you are going to WORKOUT you're supposed to take BCAAs 5-10 minutes before you begin your fasted workout. I don't bother if I'm just doing cardio.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No I don't. I train in the mornings, and just have 2 breakfasts.

a9fcab58eae8222d04d67769ee28811f2720d738.jpg

quv8hggt0ut31.jpg

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I mostly do cardio, spin classes. I work out at around noon, and I usually haven't eaten since 7-8pm the night before. Then I have a big meal right after. It's fine, I've gotten used to it.

Nov 7, 2017
Ehh it doesn't really matter as far as which is better. I like to do cardio on a slightly empty stomach so that I don't get GERD when I exercise

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Yup, I do both I exercise in morning and in evening. Morning session I will be fasted evening not so much.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I do my weight training first thing in the morning 6 days a week. I do drink 1 cup of black coffee and then some water while I lift, but that's it.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I can't stand trying to move around & do athletic things when I have a full or slightly-full stomach - it just doesn't work for me. There'll be a rare occassion where I end up working out so late into the day that I will have inevitably eaten something, but for the most part I don't begin my days eating until my workout is complete - so I end up doing a lot of IF.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes/No?

I work out during lunch. So like I eat breakfast before I go to work. So like it hasn't been like 16hrs or some shit before I do. At the same point in time it usually been like 5 hrs since breakfast.

So whatever you consider that to be.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fasted cardio is a beautiful thing and great fat burner

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I don't fuss about nutrition that much, but I don't like to exercise on an empty stomach.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I normally try and wait 2-3 hours after eating because working out with a full stomach is horrible.

Working out hungry is also awful.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have done it, yes.

Had some caffeine and supplements before working out for an extra boost, though. I liked it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I may eat a little something before doing exercise to give me the energy, but eating a whole meal? No. Last time I did that, almost vomited during a routine.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I can never do a high intensity training session on an empty stomach. I think it's a waste and a gimmick. Track your macros.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I get major headaches and super dizzy if I lift faster, even after drinking a TON of water.

I normally go after work so I've already had breakfast and lunch and will usually drink some whey+nesquick as I'm driving to the gym.

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
For the first few times I played team sports in my 20s, I prepared for every match by having a foot-long sub. Thought it would fuel me up.

I wondered what was wrong with me when I was starting to faint after just a few minutes of play and requiring a sub. I wasn't unfit~

I realized that my stomach was working overtime to burn the foot-long subs. I started playing on an empty stomach, and I could play multiple full length matches a night, 4 or 5 days a week, without a break.

I hate exercising with any food in my stomach. I feel immeasurably heavier, and surlier.

Nov 7, 2017
Fasted cardio is broscience anyway

There are studies that showed that fasted cardio has no added benefits to weight loss so why torture yourself

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished working out. Honestly, I can't. I need big meals the night before. I don't eat before a workout, however.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I go running when I wake up in the morning. I just roll out of bed, put on my shoes, lock my door and start running.

I eat dinner around 7:00 PM, and wake up anywhere from 6 to 8 in the morning. So usually I'm running anywhere from 11-13 hours since my last meal.

May 25, 2019
London
I do for most of my runs. 5-6 miles in the morning after fasting since dinner is old hat now. Once I get closer to 10 miles though I try to eat a piece of toast or some fruit first.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Most recently, yes.

I eat between 12 and 8 pm, and then try to workout in the morning (usually a two mile run). Typically I'd be doing a shorter run + strength training, but no way I'm going to a gym these days, which sucks, but it is what it is.

Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike exercise on a full stomach. I don't care if fasted cardio is broscience or not, I'm just more comfortable with it.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
I actually enjoy exercising, but doing it fasted makes me want to quit it for life. Makes me get dizzy, nauseated, it feels like 3 times the effort when in reality my performance is actually worse..

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Cardio while fasting, but for strength training I have to eat before. I've tried some strength training while fasting and I either tire faster (less reps) or end up feeling nauseated.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I exercise at night after the kiddos go to bed but before I eat dinner (which is usually a big meal) so I usually exercise after 7-8ish hours of no eating. Dunno if that qualifies I just don't like exercising after eating.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Only thing i consume before a workout is C4 pre-workout powder and a zero calorie/sugar/carb energy drink. I also drink water throughout a workout and afterwards i eat like a beast