• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

120 hz?

• Yes

Votes: 267 37.4%
  • No

Votes: 431 60.4%
  • I don't have a phone

Votes: 15 2.1%

• Total voters

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
It'll just eat battery. I like the smoothness but it's my phone. I don't stare at it all the time, and its not like high frame rate video is suddenly gonna be a thing. Pass.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Not really because i haven't been exposed to it yet. I prefer battery life over most things at this point.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Going between the iPad pro which has it, and iphone that doesn't have it, isn't really such a mind blowing difference that I thought it would be. I think the reason why is that OLED screen on Iphone doesn't have nearly as much motion blur as the LCD screen on the ipad used to have. 120Hz alleviates the LCD screen blurring somewhat, but not as much as I thought it would.

Also, when I scroll through stuff, I don't really care all that much how things look like while I scroll - screen has to stop scrolling before I'll read anything on it anyway. Image clarity while continuously scrolling really only matters a lot with games. Then again, I suspect that 120hz on an OLED screen is probably quite a different experience than 120hz on LCD.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
I can tell the difference in my ipad pro and PC monitor, but honestly I can't tell (or I don't miss it?) in my iphone XS.

But since I use nothing but iphones, they'd better have it.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
High framerate on everything.

Toggle it to a lower rate if you want to save battery. Literally no downsides.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
No. 60 is smooth as is, and I'd rather not take the hit on battery life. Used it for a bit on my S20+ and it took a solid hour off SoT. Then dropped it back to 60. Then switched back to my iPhone X.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. I like my iPhone 11P's amazing battery life and anything that impedes that is a hard NO from me.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, I usually go for high refresh rates on wired screens but it's not currently worth the battery life on mobile.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
It's nice, but not a deal breaker yet. When the battery hit is next to nothing then it might be.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Unless you're staring at your phone screen 8 hours a day, it seems incredibly indulgent to me. I'd much rather a 60hz display for a more reasonably priced phone with better battery life.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Nah. There's not a lot of 120hz video content out there and I don't game on my phone. Would much rather have a gorgeous 4k display for admiring nice photos.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still have a Galaxy S4, so the answer is no. However, I did pick up a 2017 iPad and enjoy the 120hz on there. When I do pick up a new phone, I'm wont care about the refresh rate for what I use it for.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
In that case I definitely don't care since I can't really feel a significant difference between my iPad Pro and iPhone xs

So I looked it up, and X and XS have the 120hz input detection. Maybe that's got something to do with it.

My XS definitely feels More buttery smooth compared to my old 60hz iphone 6.

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. There's not a lot of 120hz video content out there and I don't game on my phone. Would much rather have a gorgeous 4k display for admiring nice photos.

120 hz isn't used for video content and very little games take advantage of it. Its mainly used for every day content such as scrolling through apps, texts, social media, web browsing, and swiping across the home screen... Basically noticeable in everything you do on your phone (minus video in which it will drop down to 60hz usually)

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
I love my S20 Ultra, but i wouldnt ONLY buy 120 hz phones. Ultimately its really nice, but i can use it with or without

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
As much as I enjoy high refresh rates, I don't think I care for it much on a phone screen. A tablet screen however...yes, gimme gimme gimme.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
So I looked it up, and X and XS have the 120hz input detection. Maybe that's got something to do with it.

My XS definitely feels More buttery smooth compared to my old 60hz iphone 6.
Yeah the phones have input detection but the iPad Pro display refresh rate is apparently 120hz and I don't really see a usability different. Youtubers always go on about how literally everything like just homescreen navigation or scrolling is better on 120hz but I can't say I've ever personally noticed anything while browsing on my ipad vs my iphone.

Oct 25, 2017
My iPad looks better than my phone, but I'm currently using a iPhone 8 so that's to be expected. I have a 144hz monitor with FreeSync and I don't really see a difference next to my 60hz monitor other than resolution.

Oh no. Maybe I'm like a new version of those people who can't tell they have motion smoothing turned on on their TV!

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
My iPad looks better than my phone, but I'm currently using a iPhone 8 so that's to be expected. I have a 144hz monitor with FreeSync and I don't really see a difference next to my 60hz monitor other than resolution.

Oh no. Maybe I'm like a new version of those people who can't tell they have motion smoothing turned on on their TV!
I didn't really notice a difference until I started moving my mouse from one screen to the other (144hz/60hz) and the stuttering of mouse movement really hit me. Now I CAN'T unsee it.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Not buying another phone that doesn't have atleast 90hz. Its that good for me.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
It was definitely am improvement on my S20 but holy shit did it eat battery.

Trade off isn't near worth it.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
90 Hz is the perfect compromise between high refresh rate and battery. I love how butter smooth is 120 Hz but if it's for shooting the battery life, I'll take a bit less.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I have a 90hz phone. It definitely feels more fluid. However, turning it off and going back to 60hz takes me about a minute to adjust.

So no, I don't care in the least

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Always want more battery life, but I don't even use my phone much other than phone calls/messaging and browsing.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Now that I've had the chance to own a phone with 120hz enabled for a bit (s20), yes 100% it's a feature I want moving forward. So smooth. The hit to the battery and resolution isn't significant enough for me to switch back to 60hz, particularly when fast and wireless charging is an option.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, that's why im holding on with my Oneplus 7 and waiting for Iphone 12.