• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cross? Or X?

• X

Votes: 2,646 94.2%
  • Cross

Votes: 163 5.8%

• Total voters

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
Crosswords anyone?

Crossing the street to get to the other side?

Crossroads?

Don't cross my path?

Cross in this situation does not mean = The Cross that Jesus carried....

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
They should change it to a crucifix. In fact, change all the PlayStation buttons to religious symbols. I'm full of good ideas today.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
The, frankly plebeian, takes in this thread lack true understanding. The four symbols on the Playstation controller are a symphony that tells the tale of the universe. It is a piece of exquisite art disguised as having a simple, mechanical function. It deconstructs our understanding of our place in the world, and indeed, the place of our world in the vast nothingness of space and time.

Δ = Act 1: The Explosion. The creation of an ever-expanding everything out of a single point of nothingness.
□ = Act 2: The Expansion. Matter and energy coalesce and take on forms. The four equ-distant corners of the square in turn represent the 4 stages of the universe
○ = Act 3: The Equilibrium. Stars live and die and give rise to planets, which in turn give rise to life. The circle represents many things, including the celestial bodies themselves
X = Act 4: The End. All things eventually decay and collapse back into a single point, represented by the center of the X.

Please take this knowledge forward as your understanding of the true heritage of the Dualshock increases.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
thematically, it is a cross but I call it an X, a holdover from SNES controller.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Ex button. Circle Button, Square Button, Triangle.

Never heard anyone I know ever call it the Cross

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Křížek.

It's only an X if it's an X, which it is on Nintendo consoles and on Xbox. I'll give you a pass if you're making funny memes though, like that "press X, they said" one, where it's in a different place on every platform. I'll allow an X in such cases.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine somewhere there's some crazy person calling it the chi button.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter what Sony calls it. It's X. The public has spoken. We are not wrong.
Why am I continuing to get the impression that fantasies matter more to you than facts? Fact of the matter is, many people are only just finding out that what they've believed for all these years is incorrect as per the official documentation and people don't like being told they're wrong… I'd imagine not even you.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Very few people actually call it a cross.
Yup, myself included for many years and I would imagine it's down to an ingrained bias. Very few people that were hyped up by their PS1/PS2 gifts at Christmas were going to be sat there analysing the theory behind the icons on their controller - they were just playing the games and figuring out things based on their own sense, thinking of the first thing to come to mind and if nothing is there to challenge it, it's gonna stick. Anyone is likely to see "X" as a letter before they see it as a symbol. Sony's not going out of their way to tell you it's a cross, but it's definitely a geometric cross and it's called that in their documentation.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why am I continuing to get the impression that fantasies matter more to you than facts? Fact of the matter is, many people are only just finding out that what they've believed for all these years is incorrect as per the official documentation and people don't like being told they're wrong… I'd imagine not even you.
But again, it doesn't matter what Sony says. It really doesn't. It doesn't change a thing. The public decides this stuff.

That generic facial tissue is not a kleenex yet everyone calls it a kleenex. Only kawasaki makes jet skis but that's what you call any watercraft that resembles it. Bubble wrap is made by sealed air but that's what you call the generic stuff you have. Etc etc etc

I know that you are a big fan of Sony and I can see that you take what their execs say as gospel, but they don't get to decide this. Sorry.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You just need to sit down and understand the general public has decided it's called X, not cross.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
But again, it doesn't matter what Sony says. It really doesn't. It doesn't change a thing. The public decides this stuff.

That generic facial tissue is not a kleenex yet everyone calls it a kleenex. Only kawasaki makes jet skis but that's what you call any watercraft that resembles it. Bubble wrap is made by sealed air but that's what you call the generic stuff you have. Etc etc etc

I know that you are a big fan of Sony and I can see that you take what their execs say as gospel, but they don't get to decide this. Sorry.
Word.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
When games explain controls (the original Spyro games for example) they've always pronounced it as X. I've never heard a game say cross. Even developers are against Sony on this.

Oct 31, 2017
I call it "X" but it's definitely supposed to be "Cross", because the face buttons are symbols not letters, and as someone had posted earlier in the thread, the letter 'x/X' isn't crossing perpendicular lines, but a cross is.

It's definitely interesting that most people call it "X", but then correctly call the right face button circle and not "o".

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I used to call it cross in the nineties, since all the buttons are symbols. And I recently started calling it cross again, because my niece and nephew have Xboxes and if I say "press X" they press square immediately.