What word do you use when you are done playing a game?

• Beat

Votes: 299 44.2%
  • Finish

Votes: 258 38.2%
  • Complete

Votes: 73 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 46 6.8%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
I typically say I complete a game, but in saying that I don't mean I do everything the game has to offer. That usually just means I've finished the main story or done a playthrough at what is usually the normal difficulty.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried to say it out loud, and what came out naturally was "finished". So yeah, that. :)

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
It was always 'complete' when I was a kid, but I tend to say 'finish' now.

Never gone with 'beat'. Sounds silly to my ear.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
To me, beat implies you beat the main story/campaign/end boss, and complete is to 100% a game

I never complete games, but beat 95% of the games I play

Finish is like beat to me, as in you finish the story

I use them all interchangeably though, but those are the proper definitions I would give them

Feb 21, 2019
Beat.

Back in the old days, you did in fact have to "beat" a game. They ate quarters, were unfair, and overall very difficult. You beat it or it beat you. Now, you can probably say finish or completed.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I beat the game!"

Always. Maybe sometimes I'll say finished depending on the conversation, like if someone knows I've been slowly working on a game I'll tell them "finally beat i-

Nope, never mind, always "beat".

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Beat/finish to me is designated to clearing the main campaign and/or story mode.

Completing would be to 100% the game, like getting all the secrets, collectibles and achievements.

For most of my games i just beat them, if i like it very much i'll get all the secrets and collectibles but i do not care for achievements.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I beat games and get a high from doing it. It's one reason I much prefer beating a single player campaign to multiplayer anything.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Depends on the game. If it's fun enough to complete all of the side missions I'll do them, otherwise I'll move on to something else once I've gotten whatever ending I can reasonably get. I played the everloving hell out of Akiba's Trip and got the Platinum trophy because I enjoyed it.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
The words mean different things to me.

If I beat a game, I finished the story. If I completed the game, I 100%/Platinum/etc.

Oct 29, 2017
This seems rather fitting for the topic at hand...

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/209900/Beating_games_around_the_world.php

Interesting little Gamasutra article that goes over the different ways that people around the world refer to winning a video game!

Completely forgot that Japanese people tend to say (paraphrasing in English here, obviously!) "I cleared the game"! Comes from the old "Stage Clear" message that you used to see at the end of classic Japanese action games! Very interesting! :D

(And yes "Clocked it" is there! Woohoo! :D )

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I most often say "complete" and I have done since childhood and I think most of the kids I hung around with at the time said the same. Thats just for seeing the credits, if I meant 100% I'd specify that.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Growing up I always said Beat the game.
Now I'd say finish sounds about right.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It depends. I "beat" Dark Souls. I "finished" Gone Home.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I use 'beat' and 'finish' to indicate story completion. I use 'complete' to indicate 100% achievement completion.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Conquer.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
As a kid I always said "cracked". Turns out that "cracked" is just what my family says, and where I'm from it was more normal to say "clocked", which I thought sounded completely stupid so I sticked with cracked. It sounds cooler.

Since moving from home I don't say it anymore. I probably say "finished".

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Each one has different connotations.

Beat usually for games with one ending or such, only one possible conclusion.

Finish for games with branches or multiple endings and seeing the ones that are considered 'canon'. Ie; nier automata.

Complete for 100%ing.

I use 'finish' usually
This, though I use beat the majority of the time.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I only say beat if there is a last boss, otherwise it is finished.

I didn't "beat" Firewatch, I finished it. On the other hand I beat Mario Odyssey, but in that case, just because I beat it, doesn't mean I'm finished with it (might still try to get extra moons, explore, etc.)

I don't usually say complete unless it was a whole series, like "I completed the Kingdom Hearts series."

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Beat because "complete" sounds like 100% done which I typically do not commit to.

I'll say finish too tho.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Finish. Beat to me feels like a relic from the days when games were much more focused on things like high scores, time limits or clearing levels or stages. Like, saying I "beat" Journey seems strange. And complete implies I completed the game, got 100%, got the platinum, 1000/1000 gamerscore, that sort of thing.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Beat seems like an Americanism. I say finish for done with the game. Complete for did everything in the game.