What word do you use when you are done playing a game?

• Beat

Votes: 299 44.2%
  • Finish

Votes: 258 38.2%
  • Complete

Votes: 73 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 46 6.8%

• Total voters

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
This has always intrigued me. I used to use the term "beat" a game but lately have been trying to use the world finish and I don't know why when my natural inclination is to say beat.

What word do you use when you are done playing a game?

Oct 30, 2017
Finish because most games these days are a fucking chore. I finished doing the dishes just like I finished this mammoth open-world RPG.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I use whatever word comes to mind at the time. I often finalize the events of my actions over the course of that digital piece of work.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I feel like "beat" was the classic word growing up. I beat Final Fantasy. I beat Dragon Warrior. And so on.

These days, I'm more likely to say finish. Complete, IMO, suggests a more total "100% complete" notion, rather than "I killed the final boss" or similar.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
For single player games, I complete the campaign, but don't often worry about 100%'ing, so to speak, the optional open world bits and pieces, unless they draw me in somehow.

For multiplayer, I just play until it stops being fun.

I don't go for achievements in either case

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I beat it. lol

Complete means platinum to me. Only did that with 2 games.

I beat my games.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_inline_ph4p9gXVDa1qhtea7_540.gif

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I beat the game but if I go back and clean up the side quests and other stuff (maybe not 100% but close) then I complete it.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the games.

Mario, Zelda, TES, Fallout, The Witcher, Dragon Age etc. deserve to be completed. Many other games I just finish, but may never complete (a lot of indie games fall into this category for me).

Dec 14, 2017
Each one has different connotations.

Beat usually for games with one ending or such, only one possible conclusion.

Finish for games with branches or multiple endings and seeing the ones that are considered 'canon'. Ie; nier automata.

Complete for 100%ing.

I use 'finish' usually

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
Since English is not my mother tongue I always use Finish as it is the closest to the Polish word for it. In Polish we "beat" the records but we do not "beat" the games.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
The poll is missing "solved".

I would sometimes hear people say it back in the snes days.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I guess I use all three interchangeably depending on the circumstances. I use complete generally when I 100% something.

That being said colloquially I tend to say 'beat' the most.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I used to say complete as a kid but that was when games were generally much more linear and had a defined end point.

I tend to say finish as it doesn't imply I've cleared every part of the game, basically I'm "done" with it.

I have a friend who says "clocked", which amuses me.

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
I generally use the term "complete" when I've completed the main story of the game and "100%(ed)" when I've done everything possible.

Sadly I don't get to use either term often.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
All of them. I like to keep my vocabulary varied, or atleast try to. I also use "played through", it's closest to what I usually say in my own language. Funny how I have more words for it in a foreign language than on my own. In my own language I would also say "went through", but this I wouldn't use in English. "Got through" is something I say in my own language and could see myself using in English too. Like "finally got through Sekiro".

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm Dutch so I say "uitgespeeld". But I think I'd use "completed".

/edit: actually thinking on it some more, I think I usually say finished. Ah, who cares anyway.

Last edited:

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
I reach the last boss and stop due to being burned out on the game and figure I've experienced the entire game already.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Depends on the game. With all of the content something like Isaac or EtG has, it's more likely I will "beat" them before I complete or finish either because that's like a 600 hour investment easily.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I beat the story. I finished the story plus some extras. I completed all of the trophies/achievments.

That's how I think of it anyways.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how much I did. If I just blazed straight through to the end, I beat it.

If I did everything there is to do, I completed it.

Jan 10, 2018
In Sweden we use an expression called "varva" which means "lap"; so instead of talking about finishing a game you say that you have lapped it and that you are now on the second run.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finish. And any credit roll counts as a finish (unless it's a game that doesn't have a credit roll).

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I beat them when I was 16. Now I finish them and if I go for all the extras I complete them.

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
Beat/finish is when you just run through the story once. Completing means you 100%'d that shit.

I say beat and complete.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Always say complete but no idea why as i've never completed (as in everything) a single game in my life.

Said complete since 4-5 years old though!