• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

It's in the title.

• Yes. KoTOR is the single greatest Star Wars media ever made.

Votes: 380 39.0%
  • No, but almost. KoTOR might not be *the* best Star Wars stuff. But it's among the very best.

Votes: 387 39.7%
  • No. KoTOR is great, but some other stuff is even greater.

Votes: 111 11.4%
  • No. I like KoTOR, but it's not that great.

Votes: 75 7.7%
  • No. I don't like KoTOR.

Votes: 21 2.2%

• Total voters

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

I do.

I remember watching the classic Star Wars movies a long time ago on VHR, the old but not oldest trilogy on the cinema. I played many Star Wars games and watched other EU stuff.

But KoTOR was different than anything before. Or after.

It was Star Wars alright. But beyond anything I had experienced with the franchise. I still replay the game now and then, and it's always special.

Although I should add it's only the third best game of all time. But I wouldn't fault anyone for saying it is the top1.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It has to be stated that spoiler internet culture wasn't a big thing back -at least not it the extent it is today. When that twist happened it hit like a ton of bricks.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
For me, the greatest was Tie Fighter. KOTOR is up there. At some point I need to find the time to replay KOTOR 2 with the cut content mod.

It has to be stated that spoiler internet culture wasn't a big thing back -at least not it the extent it is today. When that twist happened it hit like a ton of bricks.

Yep. Maybe more clever people saw it coming, but it absolutely wrecked me.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
KOTOR 2 takes a serious look at the nature of Jedi, the Seth, and the balance between good and evil that most Star Wars media doesn't even come close to. So if he had said the sequel I'd agree.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
No, the combat system isn't exactly riverting and most NPCs are just clones who repeat the same 2 or 3 lines.

The story and setting for the planets are great however.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see how you can even compare KOTOR to a movie, it's just too different of an experience. Is KOTOR better than Empire? I don't even know what that means.

But KOTOR is awesome.

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
It's not the greatest video game of all time, but I definitely think that it's the best Star Wars video game of all time.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I mean I definitely don't agree that it's the best video game of all time (my god are those things mechnically rough to return to, with some dogshit level design), but I agree with the parts about it being the best Star Wars gets.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Haven't played it since the OG Xbox, but I remember being left with how much it respected the gamer playing it regarding the story, choices and themes.

It was a time where the walls between PC games and console games were coming down but not fully disappeared, console games seemed intentionally made simpler even in ports. This felt like a leap in making a mature game...not in like violence or sex but in how you approached playing it

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
KotOR 1 and 2 are the reason my brother and I loved Star Wars as a kid. The whole extended universe that was going on from 98-05 was amazing for us kids in general, but if it wasn't for those two games I don't think wed be as excited for Star Wars content today.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do I agree that it is the "greatest videogame of all time"? Errrr, no. I don't think many people would say that.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not as good at KOTOR 2 and Kreia

But it's still damn good

There's a reason KOTOR 3 is my Great Pumpkin

#dontevenmakethatjokeabouttheMMObeingKOTOR3456

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
Not the greatest video game of all time by a green country mile. Still, it's my favorite Star Wars thing, also by a green country mile.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the best game of all time, but I do think it is the best piece of Star Wars media yes.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though I always viewed it as a kind of boring Star Wars Lite, I though most people greatly preferred Mass Effect.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
KOTOR does what the movies have always failed to do which was create a compelling and interesting story in a universe that deserves better than its ever gotten and still keeps having it done to it.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but I'm also biased because I don't normally like the mainline movies, but love the games, spinoffs and everything else a lot more.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Even though I always viewed it as a kind of boring Star Wars Lite, I though most people greatly preferred Mass Effect.

Mass Effect is a better game in a mechanical sense (well, there's a weird spectrum thing going on where as it goes it becomes a better shooter but a worse RPG, but that's a different topic entirely), has much better acting and pacing, and arguably better dialogue, but frankly is a huge step down in terms of narrative.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing that expected women to get with Carth Onasi can be that good.

(Disclaimer, I didn't play the game back in the day, it was extremely dated by the time I played it and I bounced off super early, but fuck Carth.)

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Mass Effect is a better game in a mechanical sense (well, there's a weird spectrum thing going on where as it goes it becomes a better shooter but a worse RPG, but that's a different topic entirely), has much better acting and pacing, and arguably better dialogue, but frankly is a huge step down in terms of narrative.

The only Mass Effect game better than KoTOR is ME2. And the third best Bioware game is Baldur's Gate 2. So the other two ME games are a bit behind KoTOR, even if they are also fantastic.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think most peope who played both preferred Kotor over Mass Effect 1 at the time. That was treated as like 7/10 to Kotor's 10/10. Kotor felt like a more complete stand alone story, the cast were more outrageous or distinct, the Mako sections, shooting/inventory management were considered dodgy in ME1. That game also seemed a bit shorter.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
KOTOR was my entry point into Star Wars. So yeah I fucking I agree wholeheartedly with him. I know Revan is canon now but I want to see some games and media released.