• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ordinarily, Nintendo has three major Nintendo Direct broadcasts every year (January, March/April, September; in addition to their E3 showings, and smaller, game or theme specific ones they may have). This year, we have already had the January and March ones- are we expecting anything from them for the remainder of the year?

nintendo-direct.jpg

The Direct in September/October usually talks about the Holiday season games, as well as some games coming in the early part of the following year. This year's Switch lineup seems to be pretty set in stone already, and they already had a Direct last month detailing Smash (while hinting at at least one more Smash broadcast later this year). Which would ordinarily put the nail in the coffin, but there are a few considerations here:
  • Apparently there are more Switch games Nintendo wants to launch this year that are unannounced
  • Nintendo has yet to actually detail the Nintendo Switch Online service
  • Nintendo promised that 2019 games would be detailed later, which a September/October Direct wiuld be perfect for
Do you think a Nintendo Direct is still inbound for this year? Please do not start memeing about resetting the clock and all of that in this thread. I don't want this to become a Direct "hype" thread, nor do I want it to become a haven for meme shitposting. I want to have an actual, legitimate discussion about the possibility of another major Direct broadcast this year, given what we do know.

tnud

Oct 25, 2017
On location
Yes. There's already smoke around the internet for an announcement soonish.

If nothing else we're getting one for Online and at least one more for Smash.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting a Direct this month sometime and a final Smash Direct in November.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Obviously. There'll be at least one for software through October in September and a dedicated Smash with a megaton character in November.

Deleted member 30395

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm surprised we haven't already had one covering switch online, even just showing off some of the new enhanced NES port features...

It's really strange how quiet they've been, reminds me of the pre-switch days when there was just nothing

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol man right after 3 insiders tease with reset the clock you make this thread where noone should mention reset the clock.
What timing.

Even without the tease I think there will be one though, yeah.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I think we'll see other 2 Directs this year.

One early in September, and the other one closer to Smash launch.

Jayson's Rage

Oct 24, 2017
We expect nothing because Nintendo has been, and will continue to be doing things the way they want to do them. Just let them happen as they happen for shit's sake

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
You explained the main points that basically confirm a new Direct: the need of explaining the paid online system and the need to talk about future games, we only know about Yoshi, FE and Smash (aside from some third parties like the DXM game).

Another Smash Direct will follow on October/November, but an ordinary Direct is basically confirmed for September.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Yes.

For real though, it's a pattern they've always followed. They'll show some stuff for early next year. Then there's also the NSMBU rumored port.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I expect an Online service direct, a general Q3/Q4 direct and at least one pre-release Smash direct.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's very high chances of at least another Smash Direct and another general Direct.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
I'm personally expecting one general one focused on late 2018 titles with one or two early 2019 game(s) for this month and a dedicated Smash direct in November. Nothing more past that for 2018.

lolilolailo

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard things about a Pokémon Direct this week, or something Pokémon related (even maybe Gen 8). But I'm not an insider nor I want to get banned.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
At least 2 more directs

And this month the final details of the online will probably be given on a direct style presentation

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
I think so.

Sakurai said he's going to reveal the design of all the fighters in Smash Ultimate before its launch on December, and he doesn't do that outside of directs.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not one, not two, but three
i expect three whole-ass directs for the rest of 2018. one for online, one for smash, and one for early 2019 games.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
My bet's on one in mid October, then another a couple weeks before Smash comes out, to reveal the last couple characters. With Nindies and Smash already covered recently, it does feel too soon right now. As much as it seems kinda far out for them to start hyping 2019 games, I do think they want to get some more mindshare for those before the holiday season.

Rebel-TT

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Tobago
I feel like Nintendo has a lot still to discuss in this calendar year. While the occasional trailers, such as that announcing Diablo 3, are able to generate a fair bit of hype on their own, the News Blowouts in Directs ensure that Nintendo maintains a fairly positive buzz consistently. Especially outside of the busy E3 season where Nintendo news, when slight as in this year's package, may just get lost in the turbulence, the onus is on Nintendo to capitalize on its Direct to keep itself relevant and keep users enthusiastic.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
There'll be one before the Online launches. Then we'll probably have an October/November one with some more Smash details, maybe some other games as well.