Oct 25, 2017
I bought it from Fanexpo last August and I was having a blast of it. I'm still holding it until I'm finishing DQXI first.

By the way, do you have another recommend guides for building skills and walkthrough rather than videos? Cause It kinda giving a view of spoilers and I don't want to get caught by it.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite character so far is ifan. I feel like he is gonna be a total bro throughout the game. He seems... familiar too as well. Can't quite place it. His voice. Did he do lines for the civilization games as well?

I always thought he sounded just like George Clooney but another Era poster mentioned that he sounded more like Russell Crowe and I think that's a better comparison.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have got this and am massively excited to play this. I am probably playing DQ XI first, but I really can't wait to dig into this game. What is the best build to go with to make Fane a powerful combat character? I started him off as a metamorph, can I still use a two handed sword with this build?

Dannerz

Dec 19, 2017
This will be my third playthrough of the game, and once again I have a conjurer. Having a summon at your disposal to soak up damage, distract, or knockdown foes is just too good. Recommended class for newcomers, I feel like it just makes the game easier in general by having a team of 5 instead of 4.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I have got this and am massively excited to play this. I am probably playing DQ XI first, but I really can't wait to dig into this game. What is the best build to go with to make Fane a powerful combat character? I started him off as a metamorph, can I still use a two handed sword with this build?
You can do anything. There are no classes, so make the character you want to use! Just be sure to keep an eye on vendors' skill books to get an idea of where you can go. There's a surprising amount of interplay between the different skill sets, so it's pretty difficult to ruin a build.

And note that you can respec at the end of Act 1, so don't worry about experimenting early on.

Buddeh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will be my third playthrough of the game, and once again I have a conjurer. Having a summon at your disposal to soak up damage, distract, or knockdown foes is just too good. Recommended class for newcomers, I feel like it just makes the game easier in general by having a team of 5 instead of 4.

Or 6. I ran two summoners on my first playthrough lol . One main and one I stoppped leveling at 10 to focus on other stuff.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can do anything. There are no classes, so make the character you want to use! Just be sure to keep an eye on vendors' skill books to get an idea of where you can go. There's a surprising amount of interplay between the different skill sets, so it's pretty difficult to ruin a build.

And note that you can respec at the end of Act 1, so don't worry about experimenting early on.

Woohoo! Thanks

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Polymorph is not something you build your character around, but it's great support for most builds... Such as a offensive meele character.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Polymorph is not something you build your character around, but it's great support for most builds... Such as a offensive meele character.
There is a pure polymorph preset, IIRC.

But yeah it's amazing as a secondary skillset. Infinite utility.

I'm so glad they made that sretch goal and actually got it in the game. Swen's excitement for it matched my own.

Oct 28, 2017
I just got Spider-Man but I am thinking of getting this today. I tried to play the PC version, but was kinda turned off by how dense it was. However, I have more time now, so I want to try it out. Is it worth the $60 for someone relatively new to CRPGs?

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a pure polymorph preset, IIRC.

But yeah it's amazing as a secondary skillset. Infinite utility.
I know, I'm just saying that it's never your main attribute.
At some point I want to build a meele mage with a ton of aoe for Medusa head hilarity.

I just got Spider-Man but I am thinking of getting this today. I tried to play the PC version, but was kinda turned off by how dense it was. However, I have more time now, so I want to try it out. Is it worth the $60 for someone relatively new to CRPGs?
It's one of the best CRPG's for new comers, since the rules are pretty easy to understand.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really been craving a deep story-driven RPG and this looks like it fits the bill. The multiplayer is a huge bonus, too.

Any general tips? I'm watching Fextralife's Beginner's Guide now, but I'm mostly wondering if, as a beginner, it's recommended to play as one of the named characters or to create one from a generic race?

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Really been craving a deep story-driven RPG and this looks like it fits the bill. The multiplayer is a huge bonus, too.

Any general tips? I'm watching Fextralife's Beginner's Guide now, but I'm mostly wondering if, as a beginner, it's recommended to play as one of the named characters or to create one from a generic race?
Don't sweat levelling into a particular playstyle too much in Act I, just experiment, because you get to re-spec at the start of Act II.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I have this on Game Preview,think I will start fresh from the beginning now with all the changes. can't wait to dig in.

Now who to take as party members..

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It doesn't really matter. The biggest difference is that premade characters have their own personal mission to complete and you sometimes get additional dialogue options related to the character you're playing as. These are fairly minor in the grand scheme of things, though, and there's nothing stopping you from playing a cold-blooded assassin like Sebille as the nicest person in the world. You can also customize a premade character's looks, skills and talents.

The only real downside to playing a premade character is the inability to choose race and gender (and in Red Prince's case, skintone). For some combinations you have to make an original character.

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic thread for a fantastic game. Nice work.

Not sure about how many hours I've invested thus far, but I'm sitting at the end of Act 2 (Honour mode) doing a little cleanup before moving on. I'd be interested to hear what everyone's party consists of.

Cliff notes but I'm running;

Sebille - Two-Handed warrior with heavy investment in Necro for life drain. Synergises very well with Living Armour for constant magic armour regen provided I'm doing damage to vitality. I have other points scattered around in various schools for utility purposes (Aero for Uncanny Evasion and Poly for Skin Graft for instance).

Lohse - Cleric essentially. Uses a mix of Hydro and Necro for healing and damaging decaying targets. She also has a pretty heavy investment in Warfare for her Necro spells as most of those do physical damage.

Red Prince - Similar to Lohse only exchange Hydro for Geo. Both characters use shields paired with a one-hander.

Ifan - Ranger. Nothing fancy just Huntsman and Warfare with the odd point in Ranged. Special arrows give him plenty of utility so I've seen no real need to diversify him.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
How's the PS4 version compared to PC? Do the controls translate well from KB+M?

OP
OP
Reven Wolf

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
By the way, do you have another recommend guides for building skills and walkthrough rather than videos? Cause It kinda giving a view of spoilers and I don't want to get caught by it.
Unfortunately those are the only I could find that are generally comprehensive, if you find some written ones with that you feel would be good feel free to share and I'll add them to the op!

I believe the general consensus is that they do a pretty great job of adapting the controller to the game. I tried it a few times, and it took a little getting used to, but overall it seemed like sensible choices.

Holy shit the red prince Prince is an asshole
Yeah he's great lol.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic thread for a fantastic game. Nice work.

Not sure about how many hours I've invested thus far, but I'm sitting at the end of Act 2 (Honour mode) doing a little cleanup before moving on. I'd be interested to hear what everyone's party consists of.

Cliff notes but I'm running;

Sebille - Two-Handed warrior with heavy investment in Necro for life drain. Synergises very well with Living Armour for constant magic armour regen provided I'm doing damage to vitality. I have other points scattered around in various schools for utility purposes (Aero for Uncanny Evasion and Poly for Skin Graft for instance).

Lohse - Cleric essentially. Uses a mix of Hydro and Necro for healing and damaging decaying targets. She also has a pretty heavy investment in Warfare for her Necro spells as most of those do physical damage.

Red Prince - Similar to Lohse only exchange Hydro for Geo. Both characters use shields paired with a one-hander.

Ifan - Ranger. Nothing fancy just Huntsman and Warfare with the odd point in Ranged. Special arrows give him plenty of utility so I've seen no real need to diversify him.
I'm mid-Act 2, slowly combing the map for stuff.

Lohse - Calling her a "fire mage" wouldn't do her pyromancy justice. She is a flame alchemist that creates the biggest booms, using mixture of Pyromancy and Geomancy to cover the battlefield in flames. She dual-wields poison and fire wands.

The Red Prince - A classical tank, focusing primarily on warfare with some geomancy for additional tankiness and utility. Poor range and generally poor damage, but an excellent meat shield for the others.

Beast - A berserker. He focuses on dealing damage and exploiting his two-handed weapon's high damage, but also has some polymorpher so he can move around the battlefield easily (and y'know, survive).

Fane - An elemental ranger with a high focus on trick shots. He's kind of hunter/necro/scoundrel, with a single hydrosophist point for blood rain. Haven't really made good use of the scoundrel bits but he basically gets to a vantage point and uses the right tool for the job. In other words, he's Hawkeye.

With the exception of Lohse, they all have abilities to disable someone, so once an enemy's armour goes down it's very easy to manage them. I've decided to give Lohse some Summoner in the future (instead of Geomancy), to benefit some of her existing skills and get the Dominate Mind spell. Red Prince will get a higher focus on his Geomancy to give him better offensive capabilities, and Fane is getting way more Memory to fully exploit his huge skill arsenal (IIRC right now he has like 5 useful, unmemorised skills).

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't sweat levelling into a particular playstyle too much in Act I, just experiment, because you get to re-spec at the start of Act II.

It doesn't really matter. The biggest difference is that premade characters have their own personal mission to complete and you sometimes get additional dialogue options related to the character you're playing as. These are fairly minor in the grand scheme of things, though, and there's nothing stopping you from playing a cold-blooded assassin like Sebille as the nicest person in the world. You can also customize a premade character's looks, skills and talents.

The only real downside to playing a premade character is the inability to choose race and gender (and in Red Prince's case, skintone). For some combinations you have to make an original character.

Thanks, y'all. I only recently started playing DnD and am a Dragonborn fire-breathing paladin soldier, so really leaning towards The Red Prince/snake race right now :D Can't wait to try it tonight.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
There was quite a number of balance changes done, I can link to a video that covers the more prominent ones if you like! Also what difficulty are you on?

Sorry for the late reply, I'm on Tactician difficulty. I was completely aware of the new mechanics for armour and crowd control that for along with it, so maybe that's why.

Finally get to get back to it this weekend. Super stoked.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I should have made one of my character a Pyro, I don't find Aero very useful thus far. (Unless someone can help convincing me otherwise.)
Having two healers make a big difference, I'm not longer scraping by fights.

My tactic is pretty much letting a character initiate conversation (I would usually let Red Prince do this, because he is pretty tanky with my build), reposition my other members, teleport the weakest one closer to my group.

I tried controller combat once. You use trigger buttons to open up context-sensitive menus, and you have to scroll through a list of interactions if you want to do anything other than pick up an object.
I really like the highlight feature, it lets you highlight all interactive objects within your radius by holding down (X) or (A) on Xbox.
Text sizes/GUI are larger this time too, thankfully!

Overall I think it's decent, one of the better attempt considering how many in-game options there are. It's not as smooth as real-time actions like PoE or Diablo 3.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Flame alchemy is the way to go.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
One question about the consoles version gameplay.

I remember that in the first Divinity Original Sins game for PS4 I could move all my characters with the Selector Mode enabled after pressing the left- stick L3 button. This time with Divinity Original Sins 2, I don't seem to find a way to move my characters using Selector Mode.

Was this feature removed?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I tried controller combat once. You use trigger buttons to open up context-sensitive menus, and you have to scroll through a list of interactions if you want to do anything other than pick up an object.
I really like the highlight feature, it lets you highlight all interactive objects within your radius by holding down (X) or (A) on Xbox.
Text sizes/GUI are larger this time too, thankfully!

Overall I think it's decent, one of the better attempt considering how many in-game options there are. It's not as smooth as real-time actions like PoE or Diablo 3.
The only thing I had to get used to was using two radial menus at the same time during inventory management. Usually you open a character's inventory with a button and then switch between characters with the L1/R1 buttons. But in D:OS you have to open a radial menu, select the inventory and then open a second radial menu to select the character you want to switch to. I wonder why they didn't bind both radial menus to L2/R2 and keep the L1/R1 buttons free to switch characters.

So it's a bit clunky, but overall I think they did a good job cramming all commands into such a limited amount of buttons.

And you can now hide helmets with a controller, something which was left out of the Enhanced Edition of OS1 sadly.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Great OT!

Man, this game is brutal at times. Still in act 1 clearing things as I go. Looking forward to doing some tweaks on my squad when I finish this act, because now it feels very unbalanced.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I had to get used to was using two radial menus at the same time during inventory management. Usually you open a character's inventory with a button and then switch between characters with the L1/R1 buttons. But in D:OS you have to open a radial menu, select the inventory and then open a second radial menu to select the character you want to switch to. I wonder why they didn't bind both radial menus to L2/R2 and keep the L1/R1 buttons free to switch characters.

So it's a bit clunky, but overall I think they did a good job cramming all commands into such a limited amount of buttons.

And you can now hide helmets with a controller, something which was left out of the Enhanced Edition of OS1 sadly.
Yeah, it's annoying you can't simply switch to other characters when equipping. I hope they would patch it eventually.

Was it similar to OS1? I had it on PS4 too but I haven't put any hours into it.

Pesmerga

Aug 22, 2018
This game is so freaking good.

I really hope Larian makes a third installment down the road!

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone have any impressions of the final act yet? When I did my first time through, I broke my main character's quest (the Red Prince) in about 4 different ways, along with the entire overarching story structure of the act so that the only way I could progress was looking up how to progress online. And, of course, there was the garbage performance.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah, it's annoying you can't simply switch to other characters when equipping. I hope they would patch it eventually.

Was it similar to OS1? I had it on PS4 too but I haven't put any hours into it.
Almost completely the same. The only real change in OS2 I noticed so far is the option to select multiple items at once, which wasn't possible in OS1.

And there have been some UI improvements, such as all inventories in one screen and a better journal.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
So before I get home and restart again am I right in leaving the named party characters with their default roles? They seemed to be really good last time.

Rival

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Midlands
Are the Mods ready yet!? Really wanna start but there's some I view as essential.

Also I'm a bit disappointed they didn't rework magic resistance. I feel it doesn't pay to have a mixed party in this game due to how armor works

OP
OP
Reven Wolf

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So before I get home and restart again am I right in leaving the named party characters with their default roles? They seemed to be really good last time.
Honestly it just depends on the setup you want. You could beat the game with everyone has warriors, or each in completly different roles.

Overall they'll excel in any role so don't feel pressured into having them be something you don't want!

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Good job on the OP.

I put in about 35 hours by now and am finally leaving the uhh... second map so to speak. Love it.

Ifan [PC]
Fane
Lohse
Red (dick xd) Prince

Is my party and honestly I feel like I'm getting a lot additional details from the main story thanks to some of their unique interactions.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I finished last night for the firs time. I had previously made it to Arx (Act 4) before when I stopped playing. Arx still is hit or miss for me. There are some spots that are good, but a lot of it still feels very tedious in the bad way. Overall, I love Fort Joy -> Nameless Isle, but Arx and the final conclusion are somewhat of a let down compared to the previous content before it. ,

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I finished last night for the firs time. I had previously made it to Arx (Act 4) before when I stopped playing. Arx still is hit or miss for me. There are some spots that are good, but a lot of it still feels very tedious in the bad way. Overall, I love Fort Joy -> Nameless Isle, but Arx and the final conclusion are somewhat of a let down compared to the previous content before it. ,
I didn't like the fact fact Arx is a really decrepit city and is much less open and far less interesting area than act 2. You basically go from prisoners in decrepit fort to a maligned fishing village to a quite nice area of the eternals to finally a decrepit town, I understand the game was trying to get across the world has gone into disrepair with the loss of the divine but you'd think if there was one place that maintained a semblance of it's former glory to would be well Arx.

The place was simply uninteresting to stomp around in and had in general the worst content. Whereas act 2 had so much great content that the average player would probably miss most of it in one play-through.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I think I just don't "get" Divinity. Just like the first game, I've put about eight hours into this, enjoyed it for the most part, but now feel no particular urge to play it. They even improved the writing and "zaniness" that made me bounce off the first game.

It's kind of weird, since turn-based CRPGs are my thing. But for whatever reason, I just don't love these.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Playing the first one now. It's amazing!
Bought this anyways and planning to play it early 2019.

Feb 4, 2018
Great OT!

Just left Fort Joy, almost to the point I was at before I started my definitive save. I'm in a much better place than I was last time after killing a bunch of magisters. Right now I have Ifan as a ranger, Beast as a knight, Red Prince as a fighter who is slowly becoming a rogue, and my MC as a metamorph who is sort of all over the place. Glad I get to respec in act 2 because I've had no idea what I'm doing or what I want.

Thanks to whoever gave the tip in the old thread about Kniles and Atusa's leg. Managed to get a few things off of him including the face ripper. Also have mask of the shapeshifter. SO stoked to finally be able to eat people. One corpse legit just gave my polymorph wings.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
My favourite thing about the game is all encounters are challenging if they match your level. So there's almost no boring fights.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Any particular reason why there seem to be such few people on here playing Divinity Original Sin 2 on consoles?