• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any info about XOX enhancements? I finished the preview chunk of the game but was really unimpressed with it technically, I liked pretty much everything else but if the game wants to compete for my day 1 money with some other titles it also needs to be on point technically.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
I'm having a blast. I love D:OS 1 but this game is so much better. Really interesting story and characters. I wonder though, anyone who can tell me when act 1 is over (without spoiling it). I'm super paranoid over it ending.

I just got into the fort and met the kid with the boat

Several hours. There is the entire rest of the island to explore after you get out of the fort.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Conjurer and necromancer is what I'd call a bespoke build there's plenty of synergy between the trees but that one has one of the highest. Your necro minions abilities scale off your summoning stat not your necromancer (your necro only gives more lifesteal nothing else. So if your doing that leveling summoning should be your main point of call. Also you can't change your race without a draw back so keep that in mind. Races and your tags if your a custom character are the only hard locked thing in your character creator.

You kind of hit on what's driving me crazy which is the stat build and being new to this game. I understand that I can respec my character at will if I messed something up. My question is

Necro scales off of Intelligence

What does Summoning scale off of?

I got taking summoning to 10 maxing it but should I do the same with Necro? I Googled it and couldn't find anything to be honest.

I like the idea of being able to hit both physical and magic defense. I know I'm over thinking this but damnit I need more data!

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
You kind of hit on what's driving me crazy which is the stat build and being new to this game. I understand that I can respec my character at will if I messed something up. My question is

Necro scales off of Intelligence

What does Summoning scale off of?

I got taking summoning to 10 maxing it but should I do the same with Necro? I Googled it and couldn't find anything to be honest.

I like the idea of being able to hit both physical and magic defense. I know I'm over thinking this but damnit I need more data!
Necro doesn't really matter where you take it to Basically what happens is you get base level skills at rank one, advanced level skills at rank 2, and some final skills at rank 5. If your only interest in skills you stop at 5. Beyond that further ranks just increase what the skill tree bonus say e.g higher fire damage.

Summoning only scales off of summoning rank and your level so your free to do what you want with it. Every other magic based tree scales off of intelligence. and scoundrel and huntsman stuff finesse. Everything else is strength. Typically you put the least amount of points possible to get your skills unless you really want lifesteal as it's not all that useful

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Necro doesn't really matter where you take it to Basically what happens is you get base level skills at rank one, advanced level skills at rank 2, and some final skills at rank 5. If your only interest in skills you stop at 5. Beyond that further ranks just increase what the skill tree bonus say e.g higher fire damage.

Summoning only scales off of summoning rank and your level so your free to do what you want with it. Every other magic based tree scales off of intelligence. and scoundrel and huntsman stuff finesse. Everything else is strength. Typically you put the least amount of points possible to get your skills unless you really want lifesteal as it's not all that useful

I think I finally starting to understand how this game works with its spread. I was about to come and edit the post you quoted because I was doing some research (Googling lol). Necromancer scales off of Int so I can max summoning get Necro to level 2 and add some poison spells because I read somewhere about poison working well with Necromancers spells. Hopefully that's not spreading myself too thin.

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Hit post by accident. I need to finish my post

Edit 2: can custom characters
romance
premade characters?

Minor spoilers I guess. Y'all are weird so safe then sorry.

Last edited:

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Man they should release the pc patch for this early. Obviously the console versions have gone gold.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Is there a PC patch coming? What's, like, the major change everyone's anticipating?

Any way, it's super cool this game is finally hitting consoles. I would pick it up if I had any spare cash

OP
OP
Staf

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Oh boy, when you find out that elves can eat corpses and relive their memories.

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember having such a tough time getting the hang of crowd encounters in DOS1. I'm playing on classic difficulty, and I'm finding it a lot more challenging than the first game due to the armor and resists. Last time around, it used to be possible to make a puddle at a choke point and have my dual-wielding wand person zap everyone into sitting ducks for the entire fight. Armor + resists make that style of cc cheese hard to pull off. I've used a lot more resurrection scrolls than I would like, and I only just got off the boat from Fort Joy... where I basically robbed everyone who had skill books and then killed them when they caught me, so uh. I guess I did make it harder than it needed to be.

Fane standing in poison puddles and turning jerks into chickens has saved lives for real, though. The game is really engaging so far and the side characters this time around are so much more fun. I think the first chapter is a lot more engaging than the whole mystery tangle in the beginning town in DOS. I'm still running with Ifan, Red Prince, Fane and Lohse (player character).

Also, regarding Buddy at Fort Joy
is there a way to get him and Emmy back together eventually? I did find her in the prison, but the interaction just stalled out after distracting the dogs with a ball. I want Buddy to be happy, damn it.

Oct 27, 2017
How far does customisation go with Origin characters?
Build wise there is no fundamental difference between origin and custom characters. You can select whatever talents, skills and stats you like for either.

Aesthetically there are fewer options for origin characters (as well as a set gender) however this is offset by them having their own defined backstories and questlines.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I think I finally starting to understand how this game works with its spread. I was about to come and edit the post you quoted because I was doing some research (Googling lol). Necromancer scales off of Int so I can max summoning get Necro to level 2 and add some poison spells because I read somewhere about poison working well with Necromancers spells. Hopefully that's not spreading myself too thin.

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Hit post by accident. I need to finish my post

Edit 2: can custom characters
romance
premade characters?

Minor spoilers I guess. Y'all are weird so safe then sorry.
Yes you largely are able to romance the same characters as well as your Orgjn characters. As with a lot of other things Origin characters can get some the odd etc flavour text and one has a unique romance but that's the only difference.

Build wise there is no fundamental difference between origin and custom characters. You can select whatever talents, skills and stats you like for either.

Aesthetically there are fewer options for origin characters (as well as a set gender) however this is offset by them having their own defined backstories and questlines.
There is a difference, custom characters get the second best unique source spell in the game while the origins all get different ones.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing the first game on Xbox and it's going well. Talking to animals is awesome. Starting to get hyped for DOS2.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks! Can you change tags too?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, okay... I got another couple of questions. Requires a long winded intro though.

So I'm doing my usual pre-purchase build creating that I do with stat heavy RPGs. I'm a serial reroller so working it all out beforehand helps me mitigate the habit. Sometimes.

I'm thinking of picking Ifan and building him into a Ranger/Rogue hybrid, right? For RP purposes - based half on the limited amount I know of his backstory and half on a really super sweet looking Fextralife build - I'm probably going to pick Lone Wolf, for better or worse. I'm only playing on normal/classic, so it might be fun.

In D:OS1, I set up one of the companions as a crafting/blacksmith/loremaster mule to save precious stats. In D:OS2, are there merchants that can help craft stuff? If not, are the available weapons and equipment enough to see me through?

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm doing my usual pre-purchase build creating that I do with stat heavy RPGs. I'm a serial reroller so working it all out beforehand helps me mitigate the habit. Sometimes.
after act 1 there is a free reroll available to you at any time. you can respec all your characters infinite times

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, okay... I got another couple of questions. Requires a long winded intro though.

I'm thinking of picking Ifan and building him into a Ranger/Rogue hybrid, right? For RP purposes - based half on the limited amount I know of his backstory and half on a really super sweet looking Fextralife build - I'm probably going to pick Lone Wolf, for better or worse. I'm only playing on normal/classic, so it might be fun.

In D:OS1, I set up one of the companions as a crafting/blacksmith/loremaster mule to save precious stats. In D:OS2, are there merchants that can help craft stuff? If not, are the available weapons and equipment enough to see me through?

Lone Wolf is the build with no companions right? Man, don't do that for a first playthrough in OS:2. The companions play integral parts in the storyline.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Guys, this is the first rpg of this kind I've tried.
Before this it was mostly western and jap rpgs. I started the first act yesterday with my gf and it all was overwhelming to say the least. Any tips for beginners?

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Before this it was mostly western and jap rpgs. I started the first act yesterday with my gf and it all was overwhelming to say the least. Any tips for beginners?

Same, I've never played a top down RPG before, not a real fan but the hype around this is too big to ignore. Plus I need something interesting before Spider man.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
What's a good fun class to use? I had fighter in OS1 and it was boring as fuck. Crappy abilities and kept running out of AP fast.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Same, I've never played a top down RPG before, not a real fan but the hype around this is too big to ignore. Plus I need something interesting before Spider man.

Here's a list of my suggestions for you guys:

1. TAKE YOUR TIME. Don't rush through dialogue, some characters can give you important tips about other characters or locations which you then can use to your advantage.
2. Use your environments during combat. Height, weather, floor condition, distance, visibility ALL get taken into account during combat.
3. Play with a group (if possible) to get the best possible experience. Offloading abilities to teammates is key - I.E having one person take the ability to talk to animals, have another play as lohse to get info from consuming corpses, and one as Fane to speak to the dead, this way you get access to more quests and can sometimes circumvent entire questlines.
4. Specialize. Becoming a "jack of all trades" works early on, but late game is where that doesn't pan out well. Find a class or a playstyle you like and invest heavily into it.
5. Don't item hoard. Use what you need, sell the rest.
6. Be careful about using attacks in populated areas. You can kill literally any NPC (including quest-givers) so you have to be careful. I learned that the hard way early on with my playgroup, they attacked the tutorial lady on accident (the one right in the beginning of the game as soon as you wake up) and we ended up killing her so......yeah.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I already have it on PC, but i'm still hyped as we are getting the definitive edition update on PC so it will be fun to go through the game again with all of y'all!

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
What's a good fun class to use? I had fighter in OS1 and it was boring as fuck. Crappy abilities and kept running out of AP fast.

I personally love the Metamorph class, but if you wanna breeze through the game, use Necromancer.

Necromancer had this Infinite Damage combo (not sure if it's still there) where you caste Soul Mate (with Life Leech as a Passive) on an Undead party member, the Undead party member then casts Living on the Edge on itself, followed by Shackles of Pain on an enemy

How this works:
Soul Mate - Bind yourself to target character, copying any healing and Armour restoration that you receive to them
Living On the Edge - For 2 turns your character's Vitality cannot be reduced below 1 point, keeping them alive against all odds. If the target is a summon, their lifetime will be prolonged for the duration
Life Leech - Damage done to target heals the user (Necro Passive)
Shackles of Pain - Mark a target so that it will receive all of the damage you receive. Damage transferred in this way ignores any resistances the target may have.

Life Leech on Necro, Soul Mate an Undead, Living on the Edge on Undead, Shackles of Pain on enemy + 1 healing = infinite damage.

Life Leech heals you whenever you deal damage, Soul Mate allows you to heal one target and copy those heals to whoever you bind to, Shackles of Pain deals the same amount of damage done to the user on a target, and Living on the Edge prevents you from hitting 0 HP. With an Undead character, healing = damage, so you PURPOSELY heal the Undead character to harm it, the Undead character uses LotE to not die (always remain at 1HP) and thanks to Life Leech, since every time damage is dealt you heal, you just heal the Necromancer ONCE, which causes Soul Mate to go off and heal the Undead, who gets damaged by the heals, which in turn damages the targeted enemy thanks to Shackles of Pain, and since you damaged the Undead when you healed, Life Leech goes off and heals you again, which causes Soul Mate to go off and heal the Undead, who gets damaged by the heals, which in turn damages the targeted enemy thanks to Shackles of Pain, and since you damaged the Undead when you healed, Life Leech goes off and heals you again, which causes Soul Mate to go off and heal the Undead, who gets damaged by the heals, which in turn damages the targeted enemy thanks to Shackles of Pain - INFINITELY. The Undead doesn't die because of Living on the Edge - every single time (for 2 turns) the Undead's HP hits 0, thanks to LotE brings it back up to 1, so you can literally eat through a boss without the boss ever touching you.

JohnOfMars

Fighting Lion
Oct 25, 2017
Mars
Had a lot of fun playing this last weekend with my 2 friends.

E0qq39d.jpg

My only complaint is that the walk speed outside of combat is soooooooooooooooooooo slow. If you get separated from your group it's an eternity to catch up.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Here's a list of my suggestions for you guys:

1. TAKE YOUR TIME. Don't rush through dialogue, some characters can give you important tips about other characters or locations which you then can use to your advantage.
2. Use your environments during combat. Height, weather, floor condition, distance, visibility ALL get taken into account during combat.
3. Play with a group (if possible) to get the best possible experience. Offloading abilities to teammates is key - I.E having one person take the ability to talk to animals, have another play as lohse to get info from consuming corpses, and one as Fane to speak to the dead, this way you get access to more quests and can sometimes circumvent entire questlines.
4. Specialize. Becoming a "jack of all trades" works early on, but late game is where that doesn't pan out well. Find a class or a playstyle you like and invest heavily into it.
5. Don't item hoard. Use what you need, sell the rest.
6. Be careful about using attacks in populated areas. You can kill literally any NPC (including quest-givers) so you have to be careful. I learned that the hard way early on with my playgroup, they attacked the tutorial lady on accident (the one right in the beginning of the game as soon as you wake up) and we ended up killing her so......yeah.

Thanks, i'll try to use this when I play.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For anyone playing this for the first time, I strongly suggest choosing one of the premade characters (Fane, Sebille,Lohse, Ifan, Beast, Red Prince). You can still customize them however you want, and make them look however you want (Race is locked though), and can make them any class you want. The only thing you can't change are their source skills. The Origin characters have decent stories written for them, a custom character will have something, but nowhere near the Origins.

I played Lohse, she was amazing.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
For anyone playing this for the first time, I strongly suggest choosing one of the premade characters (Fane, Sebille,Lohse, Ifan, Beast, Red Prince). You can still customize them however you want, and make them look however you want (Race is locked though), and can make them any class you want. The only thing you can't change are their source skills. The Origin characters have decent stories written for them, a custom character will have something, but nowhere near the Origins.

I second this. I played Red Prince and it was pretty fucking cool. Do custom characters on your second playthrough, it's more fun a second time around

OP
OP
Staf

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden

I'm playing Lohse now, she's awesome! Can't wait to see where they go with her personal quest!

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
This game is definately on my wish list. How's the performance on the base PS4? Is it a stable 30 fps?