• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I believe this requires its own thread for two reasons:

1) You may have missed this in the Aladdin Clips thread.
and
2) Now that I have heard it, you must now suffer with me.

2019 version, currently at ~14 million views with 1.2 million likes:

1992 version, (unofficial channel) currently at ~16 million views with 82,000 likes:

If anyone needs me, I'll be screaming into a pillow at the 1.2 million tone-deaf people who gave that a thumbs up.

Mumble your way through a iconic song if old.

Oct 27, 2017
You underestimate how much fangirls love Zayne. I bet a ton of the views aren't about liking the song or Aladdin

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
"Crime against music" got my hopes up for something truly horrendous, unfortunately this was just plain old boringly bad.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
fwiw, They're both pretty terrible if you imagine them being sung in the movie.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Lol 'crime against music'? Era's really going out of its way to dunk on this movie. Its fine. The movie will be fine and won't destroy your childhoods.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely horrendous. Why was that Zhavia girl hired for this? What kinda "singing" voice is that? Good lord. Why. Why would you even. How can it have so many likes? Surely this isn't just me yelling at clouds. My ears work.

edit:

"Aladdin" is produced by Dan Lin, p.g.a., ("Sherlock Holmes") and Jonathan Eirich, p.g.a., ("Death Note")

tenor.gif

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I heard this the other day and legit felt real anger. Zayne is ok, it works but the female is seriously a train wreck. Is she the one from that stupid Diddy singing challenge show?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is bad but not offensively so. I'm sure I'll be hearing it in grocery stores and Big Lots in about 5-6 weeks.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I expected a tragedy, I see a fender bender instead. It's not bad, just different and ok to me. It's still playing in the background as I type this, I didn't feel like ending it or anything.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
girl sounded like she was bored as opposed to seeing mind-expanding new sights

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I honestly liked it. Granted, I always hate the "alternate" version of songs that they use for radio play. Just use the version in the movie, dangit!

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I don't understand why you are outraged. Disney always has some popular artist do a cover of one the staple songs in their movies.

This isn't something new. It's not like that's the official version in the movie. You may not like it but today's audience loves this type of music. Zayn is a popular artist for the youth of today.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man what an exaggeration. Not as good as the original but it's fine. Zayn doing well in it.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I have the feeling that the movie itself will be no different. I wish Disney would start drawing cartoons again.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, it's ok. It isn't as good as the original, but considering OP's title, I was expecting something horrible.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Ugh. I fucking hate "video unavailable" because I didn't go to YouTube.

Have to refresh the page to be even able to go to YouTube. No knock on you op, just hate YouTube's shenanigans.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it sounds fine to me? I could do without the snapping but otherwise i'm not sure why you're so bent out of shape about it

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I fucking hate "video unavailable" because I didn't go to YouTube.

Have to refresh the page to be even able to go to YouTube. No knock on you op, just hate YouTube's shenanigans.

Actually I was just thinking about this a second ago. Is there a way to force embedded vids to work? I refuse to believe there isn't...

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Not as bad as I was expecting but the singers are eating so many of their words. Enunciate. Would improve their version immensely.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's absolutely horrendous. Why was that Zhavia girl hired for this? What kinda "singing" voice is that? Good lord. Why. Why would you even. How can it have so many likes? Surely this isn't just me yelling at clouds. My ears work.

edit:

tenor.gif

Ritchie is directing Aladdin and he also directed Sherlock Holmes. It's not strange that it would be produced by someone who also worked on Sherlock.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Ritchie is directing Aladdin and he also directed Sherlock Holmes. It's not strange that it would be produced by someone who also worked on Sherlock.
I doubt this song even had any input from Ritchie. Disney usually just asks some popular singer to do a cover whenever they have a movie. Ariana Grande did it for Beauty and the Beast. Demi Lovato did Frozen. They've been doing this for ages and putting the song in the credits.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why you are outraged. Disney always has some popular artist do a cover of one the staple songs in their movies.

This isn't something new. It's not like that's the official version in the movie. You may not like it but today's audience loves this type of music. Zayn is a popular artist for the youth of today.

This.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I doubt this song even had any input from Ritchie. Disney usually just asks some popular singer to do a cover whenever they have a movie. Ariana Grande did it for Beauty and the Beast. Demi Lovato did Frozen. They've been doing this for ages and putting the song in the credits.

I was responding to someone who was commenting on a producer on the film itself.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't have even known this was controversial without this thread to let me know. It's not the original but it's also not some sin against music.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like a song that'd be in The Room while Tommy is slammin' Lisa's belly button and snorting a rose.

e: I closed the first one in about 45 seconds. The second one though... is so much more listenable.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the way he doesn't annunciate some words, or the weird auto tune that slips in there. This is indeed bad.

EDIT: some of you don't seem to understand hyperbole.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
A crime against music? Shouldn't we reserve such harsh terms for a clear and present danger to music as an art form, like Katy Perry?

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
They don't have any chemistry. They're supposed to be singing to each other, and instead it sounds like they're having a vocalization competition. He sets up crescendos that she doesn't carry. It's a mess.

Oct 25, 2017
"Hmm maybe THIS time Era isn't using dramatically laughable hyperbole"

*listens*

*rolls eyes*

Maybe next time.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always prefer the original, but this one's just overproduced and boring. Definitely not a "crime" though.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Old one, great, a classic.

New one, generic, forgettable.

That sums up my opinion of it.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope this is the end credits music and I'll never believe anything different