• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Like he's actively being targeted?

Jesus Christ I hate the Internet

They've been gunning for him ever since his previous wife died. It's friggin' sad.

In 2010 I think I was actually at 4chan thinking all the racist jokes were just people being ironic.

Some of them are. Makes the perfect shield for the more radical racists. People spend enough time there though, especially in lieu of actual friendship, and it doesn't take long for them to become more receptive to believing it.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Gunn is a millionaire. He has nothing to worry about even if he never works again. But this is GG all over again with neonazis trying to silence people hiding behind bullshit morality they themselves don't believe.
No one is defending that doing pedo jokes is OK or acceptable or that he should be given a pass if this was something never talked about, but the context here is someone used to be an asshole edgelord, was told how hurtful that is, learned, spent a decade not repeating the mistakes, teaching other people to be better to now being punished after neonazis got angry that he is against Trump.

Looking at this story and thinking it is about jokes is the whole fucking "ethics in gaming" nightmare all over again.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
In 2010 I think I was actually at 4chan thinking all the racist jokes were just people being ironic.

Well then the lesson is that you should never say anything bad about Trump because you are incapable of change and the alt-right and Russian bots will dig up your internet history.

You should probably just start wearing a MAGA cap and get it over with.

That's very interesting but actually... yes?

Seems like an overreaction, but what does the alt-right have to do with this?

Mike Cernovich decided to dig up some decade old tweets because Gunn said mean things about Trump.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This 100%. If you read through LiveJournal posts from 2006 you'll find a plethora of dead baby/pedo/rape/whatever jokes from people who are absolutely horrified that they ever behaved that way. If people show remorse and actively grow from the point of making those jokes they don't need to have their livelihoods destroyed. This Gunn thing sets a bad precedent.
Dead baby jokes were really popular back when I was in highschool (2005). Hell, my Jewish friends actively made Holocaust jokes. The 2000s were a weird time for juvenile humor, particularly shock humor. Anyone remember Happy Tree Friends?

Oct 25, 2017
The number of people on this forum thinking the firing is okay makes me feel like I don't belong here. I said stupid shit once. I was old enough to know better, and I didn't. I realized eventually that I was saying stupid shit, and I stopped. So many of you would call for me to be banned, or fired, or whatever, if you knew what I've said based on your responses here, even though I'm a completely different person than I was back then.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still flabbergasted at people trying to say move on from pedophile jokes. I'm sorry, but a line has to be drawn some motherfucking where

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Dead baby jokes were really popular back when I was in highschool (2005). Hell, my Jewish friends actively made Holocaust jokes. The 2000s were a weird time for juvenile humor, particularly shock humor. Anyone remember Happy Tree Friends?

Considering we were recovering from the biggest terrorist attack on American soil by a foreign entity and were in the middle of two wars it seemed like our generation was all about gallows humor around that time.

I'm still flabbergasted at people trying to say move on from pedophile jokes. I'm sorry, but a line has to be drawn some motherfucking where

Have we gotten to a generation that actually doesn't know The Aristocrats joke?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to be so optimistic as saying that they're going to re-hire they but I also can't believe the cast will go along with this, so I'm waiting to see if there's some kind of joint statement. Bautista said he has a lot more to say.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, Michael Ian Black has been railing against these dipshits for over 2 years. I imagine if they had dirt on him they would have found it awhile ago. He's been hounding Dana Loesch, Cernovich, and Ben Shapiro for quite some time.

They may not need actual dirt if they can convince the right gullible people

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
he fucked up, I don't understand this thread. does he still deserve a chance at this level? According to disney, he does not.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Get hoodwinked into firing someone for making paedophilic rape jokes years ago by an actual rapist, brehs.

Nonsensical move by Disney that just shows that this has nothing to do with values but their money only.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
If the alt-right hadn't been the ones to bring these tweets to the surface; would people be so adamant in defending him as they are now? Seems everyone is dismayed that the alt-right got a 'win' here vs. how out of line and horrible those tweets were. Actually talking about kids touching him, that's fucked up. Don't really care for his apologies after something like that. You can call it the death of edgy humor or whatever, but I call it sensible to not joke about something like that to begin with.

Can't blame Disney here; whatever the case this was blowing up. If they did know about the tweets beforehand; probably told him if it ever became a problem he was out and/or he probably knew that already. Not that they would be gone forever, but if he was at all contrite about what he had done he'd have made the effort to delete all his old stuff he was apologizing for.

Anyway, there is probably someone else in line to take his place. I hope whoever it is they end up doing a good job and that people will give them a chance and not try to boycott because Gunn got himself fired. Same with the rest of the cast; they need to just let this be and move on. I think Disney would rather cancel future GotG films than do a 180 and hire Gunn back.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
what? :/

so you blame the people who found this stuff rather than Gunns comments?

i really dont understand how people can defend him on this? he wasnt like 16 when he wrote that. He was like what? 40?
James definetly made a mstake here by not deleting those tweets

He wasn't 16, but he was a very different person back then and have grown since then. He pubcily apoligized for his jokes back in 2012, and even mentioned in 2017 that he regrets his actions. This only gained attraction because of Mike Cernovich, who started a canpaign on twitter to getting him fired.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Demolition man was not an action/comedy flick, it was a glimpse at things to come. We need to find Edgar Friendly FAST

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
The number of people on this forum thinking the firing is okay makes me feel like I don't belong here. I said stupid shit once. I was old enough to know better, and I didn't. I realized eventually that I was saying stupid shit, and I stopped. So many of you would call for me to be banned, or fired, or whatever, if you knew what I've said based on your responses here, even though I'm a completely different person than I was back then.

This is how I'm feeling at the moment. I know I made some very inappropriate jokes 10 years ago, not our of spite or malice just because I thought it was funny, I've always had a dark sense of humour.

Now, I wouldn't make those same sort of jokes partially due to the change in the social climate and partially due to character growth.

it feels like a lot of the community here though would want me tarred and feathered for any past mistakes.

Last edited:

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Here is the reality.

You are posting on a forum where the majority a posters have at some point in there lives made a joke about pedophilia. Not necessarily recently but at some point.

How one changes and acknowledges there mistakes is the important thing which Gunn has done on more than one occasion.

Oct 30, 2017
he fucked up, I don't understand this thread. does he still deserve a chance at this level? According to disney, he does not.

He did get that chance and delivered for Disney a blockbuster franchise. He made those jokes like a decade ago and had apologized for behavior before even the first Guardians came out. He never hid his past and spoke out about how he changed. Disney wasn't someone in the dark. What's changed now?

Some alt-right trolls pulled them back up again? Disney is just a dirty opportunist megacorp with this reaction and now really with the kneejerk reaction, it has given more power to the alt-right, for that they just made a potentially bigger mess and honestly should be dragged in the coals as well. Disney got played.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It's pretty amazing you can get blacklisted over a raunchy joke you made that one time. Is Disney going to blacklist Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Bob Saget too?

It reminds me a lot about the Aristocrats joke, or more specifically this article about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2005/sep/02/3

The idea of sharing this type of joke with the public is interesting. That's where comedy is going at the moment. In my comedy, I try to be as rude and outrageous as I am with my friends. It's about crediting the audience with intelligence, and with the ability to detect irony. This film credits me with being able to understand, and that pleases me.

Maybe Gunn should have sanitized himself. Conversely, it's another example of where social media and the internet has made everyone a little bit dumber.

Still, this digging up old tweets to tar someone has been done so many times by "the left" that it was only a matter of time before the alt-right could run with it.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the alt-right hadn't been the ones to bring these tweets to the surface; would people be so adamant in defending him as they are now? Seems everyone is dismayed that the alt-right got a 'win' here vs. how out of line and horrible those tweets were. Actually talking about kids touching him, that's fucked up. Don't really care for his apologies after something like that. You can call it the death of edgy humor or whatever, but I call it sensible to not joke about something like that to begin with.

Can't blame Disney here; whatever the case this was blowing up. If they did know about the tweets beforehand; probably told him if it ever became a problem he was out and/or he probably knew that already. Not that they would be gone forever, but if he was at all contrite about what he had done he'd have made the effort to delete all his old stuff he was apologizing for.

Anyway, there is probably someone else in line to take his place. I hope whoever it is they end up doing a good job and that people will give them a chance and not try to boycott because Gunn got himself fired. Same with the rest of the cast; they need to just let this be and move on. I think Disney would rather cancel future GotG films than do a 180 and hire Gunn back.
I mean the jokes themselves are pretty bad - but I also think it's relevant that they were uncovered by neo-nazis who have a history of combing through people's old tweets to get them fired. Disney surely knew about these tweets since he apologized publicly for them multiple times in previous years. The decision to side with the alt-right on this one is a really bad look.

Oct 25, 2017
The majority are smart enough not to but a minority is working real hard to legitimize the hypocrisy of the alt-right.

People like this:

Hey dude. Think about this for just a second. When I was younger, I took part in racism, sexism, homophobia, and other horrible, awful, harmful jokes and views. I stopped doing that a long time ago, and have since worked very hard to better the world and undo the negativity that I put into it. Even at his worst, James was a better person than me. Still, he has done quite a bit to stand up to garbage people and put goodness and honesty into his work and life. Do you think that I, too, should be forever disqualified from holding any position of significance?

Last edited:

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
To those disagreeing with how things turned out.. would your current employer be okay with an employees public social media having tweets like these or would they do what Disney did and sever ties?

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
You're 40.
Rely on shock humor.
Use sexual abuse as a crutch in said humor.

. . . Bye. I don't know why Disney didn't do their research before hiring him though. At least now he can have a "proper" and widely public apology tour.

Hey dude. Think about this for just a second. When I was younger, I took part in racism, sexism, homophobia, and other horrible, awful, harmful jokes and views. I stopped doing that a long time ago, and have since worked very hard to better the world and undo the negativity that I put into it. Even at his worst, James was a better person than me. Even still, he was done quite a bit to stand up to garbage people and put goodness and honesty into his work and life. Do you think that I, too, should be forever disqualified from holding any position of significance?
The main difference is that you probably didn't put all those things online under your name for future employers to uncover and fire you.

Remember, that employers in the US are mostly able to fire you for any reason. Having a shitty personality (no matter how old) has consequences. If you clean up your act, make sure to make it extremely public and clean up your old web content.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people in this thread are perfect weapons for this new Alt-Right strategy in weaponizing outrage. The people who dug this shit up didn't care about what he was saying, they cared about what the most reactionary individuals on the left would say and do about it.

There are people here who are literal weapons of the alt-right and don't give a shit/can't see it/refuse to believe it.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Hey dude. Think about this for just a second. When I was younger, I took part in racism, sexism, homophobia, and other horrible, awful, harmful jokes and views. I stopped doing that a long time ago, and have since worked very hard to better the world and undo the negativity that I put into it. Even at his worst, James was a better person than me. Even still, he was done quite a bit to stand up to garbage people and put goodness and honesty into his work and life. Do you think that I, too, should be forever disqualified from holding any position of significance?
If you did it in public under your real name, your probably fucked with your employer if it ever comes to light.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
You're 40.
Rely on shock humor.

. . . Bye. I don't know why Disney didn't do their research before hiring him though. At least now he can have a "proper" and widely public apology tour.

He fucking wrote Troma films and wrote/directed Slither and Super. They knew exactly who they hired and hired him based on those films, which contained exceptionally dark and taboo humor.

He's already done this apology tour TWICE for the same goddamn tweets. But people's memories are short and always ready to scream outrage while they dance to the alt-right's tune.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of a tangent, but as someone who worry a lot of prisioner's rights, how do people function knowing that literal murderers and rapists will eventually get out of prison, get jobs, form families and live a normal productive life?
It's such a fucked up debate, because when I say I hope a - again - literal murderer and rapist eventually get to recover and live a normal life, I will always get someone trying to put in my mouth the words that I think what they did was ok, or that I think they shouldn't be held accountable, or that I don't care about the victims, and so on.
It's not about giving him a free pass, it's not about saying what he did was ok, it's not about defending him being an asshole edgelord, but it is about recognizing that there is nothing - absolutely nothing - to be gained by just kicking someone for a past mistake when he has done everything in his power to show that he has changed. And it wasn't hate speech, and it wasn't incitment of violence, and it wasn't actual defense of pedophilia, it wasn't even a dog whistle to none of those things. It was a dumb person doing a dumb thing that he recognized it was dumb and never did it again.

If you are so appaled that people are willing to let go a joke, how do you even exist in a society where we believe people who murdered and raped can be reformed?

Procholiday

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To those disagreeing with how things turned out.. would your current employer be okay with an employees public social media having tweets like these or would they do what Disney did and sever ties?

I doubt any employer is going back through 8 years of tweets to see if you made a shitty joke nearly a decade ago. He made some assholes mad because he was talking badly about Trump and they found some shitty jokes he made 8 years ago and has apologized for on multiple occasions, not to mention he has obviously changed as a person because he doesn't do things like that anymore.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt any employer is going back through 8 years of tweets to see if you made a shitty joke nearly a decade ago. He made some assholes mad because he was talking badly about Trump and they found some shitty jokes he made 8 years ago and has apologized for on multiple occasions, not to mention he has obviously changed as a person because he doesn't do things like that anymore.
You didnt answer the question though. Whether it was 25 years ago,or 25 minutes ago would your current employer be okay with it or would they sever ties?

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people in this thread are perfect weapons for this new Alt-Right strategy in weaponizing outrage. The people who dug this shit up didn't care about what he was saying, they cared about what the most reactionary individuals on the left would say and do about it.

There are people here who are literal weapons of the alt-right and don't give a shit/can't see it/refuse to believe it.
I mean fuck... Mike Cernovitch, who calls date rape: "a liberal fiction", who has himself been accused of rape, who spread the Pizzagate conspiracy theory, and his Nazi fanbase don't care about these jokes. They're playing liberals like a fiddle.

Oct 25, 2017
You're 40.
Rely on shock humor.

The main difference is that you probably didn't put all those things online under your name for future employers to uncover and fire you.

Remember, that employers in the US are mostly able to fire you for any reason. Having a shitty personality (no matter how old) has consequences. If you clean up your act, make sure to make it extremely public and clean up your old web content.

That's such a bad faith argument lmao. There are so many people, yourself included, saying he deserved it simply because it happened. He did clean up his act, he did make it extremely public, literally every person he worked with since then could vouch for him, and still you say "Bye." Get out of here with that bullshit

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, people that that think this is okay even though he has apologized and changed for the better for comments he made a 6+ years ago.

Should ex-kkk/Neo-nazis not be given a second chance for working to improve themselves and society?

People like Robert Byrd who was part of the KKK went on to be some of he biggest civil rights activists and was highly regarded by the ACLU. Should he not be acknowledged for being a decent human in the end?

People can change and be better. If they have earnestly apologized for their mistakes/transgressions, and have shown personal/social improvement, why are they being punished years later?

Especially in this case by somebody like cernovich that has said infinitely worse statements than anything Gunn has said?

You are playing directly into the alt-right'ss hands. Instead condemning Gunn, you should be advocating the good he has done and how he has improved since he made those abhorrent comments. You should be arguing why this is so different than somebody like Roseanne who is still actively saying horrid shit.