• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flohen95

Nov 4, 2017
Should have been D2 since that doesn't have a portable version yet.

But I'll buy this one too so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So... this is just the Vita port? Looks like there's nothing new. I'm good, since I haven't even finished that on Vita.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm shocked they haven't done a remake/remaster of 2. It's easily the best Disgaea.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Bought D4 for PS3 and feel really bad for never playing it as I loved all the past entries (1 > 3 > 2, Prinny CIRBTH was also great). Time to remedy this with the Switch version.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I already played this enough on Vita which was already a rerelease. Also this game wasn't exactly lacking in content so I am unsure why it needed another release besides a cash grab by a struggling company.

Regardless happy for Switch fans, it's the best Disgaea game by far and worth getting.
It's nice to have fun games on current hardware instead of dead hardware you can't buy new anymore. That's enough of an answer to "why" for me.

The switch isn't half as comfortable a handheld as the Vita was, but it's still a good platform for short JRPG/SRPG sessions.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Oh good now I just need 3 Complete and I'll have been able to play them all.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Disgaea 5 introduced me to the series and I love the atmosphere, graphics, voices and not-so-serious gameplay. I skipped Disgaea 1 because I heard that 5 has a lot of QoL changes that you'll miss in 1.

Will I be missing much with only 1 number behind (this game)? Does it also has auto-scroll English text + Japanese voices (my favorite part of D5)?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Disgaea 5 introduced me to the series and I love the atmosphere, graphics, voices and not-so-serious gameplay. I skipped Disgaea 1 because I heard that 5 has a lot of QoL changes that you'll miss in 1.

Will I be missing much with only 1 number behind (this game)? Does it also has auto-scroll English text + Japanese voices (my favorite part of D5)?
I am pretty sure D4 had Japanese voice option as well, at least the Vita version. I should check to be sure, though.

In terms of QoL stuff, I don't think D4 is that far behind D5. Much like D5, the Vita remake of D4 — which I assume they will use as a basis for Complete+ — included a lot of the QoL stuff Disgaea D2 introduced. And I can see them take this opportunity to take all the new things D5 introduced (such as sub-classes) and add them to D4 as well.

Edit: Just checked, the Vita version has both Japanese voices and 5 levels of message auto-scroll speed.

Last edited:

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I am pretty sure D4 had Japanese voice option as well, at least the Vita version. I should check to be sure, though.

In terms of QoL stuff, I don't think D4 is that far behind D5. Much like D5, the Vita remake of D4 — which I assume they will use as a basis for Complete+ — included a lot of the QoL stuff Disgaea D2 introduced. And I can see them take this opportunity to take all the new things D5 introduced (such as sub-classes) and add them to D4 as well.

Edit: Just checked, the Vita version has both Japanese voices and 5 levels of message auto-scroll speed.
Thank you very much for taking your time to look it up and give such a detailed explanation for all my questions. It means a lot! It seems that this will be a must buy for me then :)

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love Disgaea 4 (it is my favorite) I'll wait. Still rocking my Disgaea 4 in my Vita.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Here's where I beg to differ if only because unlocking the LoC is complete garbage in D4 due to the RNG rolling for pirate ship parts. That said, it only really matters to those really biting into postgame.
Fair enough. I honestly have never dived that deep into the postgame (or item land for that matter). I was mostly talking about things D2 changed, like adding the cheat shop, letting units promote to their next tiers (instead of having to reincarnate), etc.

That said, I checked and was actually surprised to see the old magic system (with the spells mages/skulls learn depending on their color/tier), the numerical rarity system and the old inventory. I thought they had already done away with those elements in D4: A Promise Revisited, but clearly I misremembered.

I hope they will add all these features to Complete+. If they do, I am tempted to buy it for the PS4. If they don't I might as well stick with the Vita version.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've always wanted to get into this series, but it seems like too much to bite off at this point.
I'm glad they're getting remastered/released, it will make it a lot easier if I decide to jump in.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I want 3, cause i really like the monster turning into weapons thing

ED Cantu

Oct 28, 2017
How come I never heard about this announcement until now?

Anyway, I played the first Disgaea and a good chunk of the second one, both on PSP. And now I really want to play a new one, so which one would you recommend me to buy, this one or 5 complete?

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
So we got 5,
Then 1,
And now 4.

I bet the next one we'll be getting is 2.

We won't, they're pretty clearly porting the cheapest options now. D1 re-release was a quick turnaround job and this is even quicker since it doesn't require any HD asset upgrades and whatnot.

NIS is trying to get as much money out of Disgaea as quick as possible at this point since the mobile game screwed them.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
How come I never heard about this announcement until now?

Anyway, I played the first Disgaea and a good chunk of the second one, both on PSP. And now I really want to play a new one, so which one would you recommend me to buy, this one or 5 complete?

5 is out now and is a really good Disgaea. Some prefer 4, but I probably prefer 5 overall.

You can't go wrong with either (unlike the D1 re-release which isn't worth the cost) but D5 is out now, so do that!

ED Cantu

Oct 28, 2017
5 is out now and is a really good Disgaea. Some prefer 4, but I probably prefer 5 overall.

You can't go wrong with either (unlike the D1 re-release which isn't worth the cost) but D5 is out now, so do that!
I think I'll end up buying both eventually haha, but you are right, 5 is already out so I'll get that one first, thanks!

Mosaica

May 22, 2019
We won't, they're pretty clearly porting the cheapest options now. D1 re-release was a quick turnaround job and this is even quicker since it doesn't require any HD asset upgrades and whatnot.

NIS is trying to get as much money out of Disgaea as quick as possible at this point since the mobile game screwed them.
I was kinda just joking.