• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Cant wait to get settled in tonight and play for a good few hours.

I must have spent a good hour yesterday just reading through the ledger.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain the time mechanic please? Am I forced to hurry or can I freely explore and read everything? I do despise timed games...

I have only just completed day 1, but it seems mostly to be a way to justify changes in world state. People move about a little at days end, and then go to sleep (i.e are not available). At least in the opening scenario, there are people who are 'insomniacs' and always available, for gameplay reasons.

As mentioned, time is advanced by dialogue (and maybe some other interactions), not wall-clock. You're going to be doing a whole lot of talking to get through a whole day, but yes, you might want to prioritize some people.

I guess it also forms part of the "don't ask everyone about everything" design.

I'm generally averse to timed puzzles, but this doesn't stress me.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love that this is a game where I can take off my pants and shoes to improve a skill check and it feels totally in character.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh man, if you're missing noir stuff, they really nailed with day 3+ interactions.
Klaasje is amazingly written and really nails the femme fatale

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
Man, by far high psyche just seems like easy mode in the early game. Volition, empathy, authority, and suggestion seem to shape your choices so much so often compared to all the other checks I see.

Plus you really can't boost most of these from other sources this early on, since you mostly get inland empire and espirit de corps boosts.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have to say, while the music so far has been nice enough, the track that plays outside the Whirling-in-Rags at night is cosy as hell. It playing in the background while chatting with Kim on the balcony really nailed that "end of the day" feeling.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, by far high psyche just seems like easy mode in the early game. Volition, empathy, authority, and suggestion seem to shape your choices so much so often compared to all the other checks I see.

Plus you really can't boost most of these from other sources this early on, since you mostly get inland empire and espirit de corps boosts.
All four trees have influence on your dialogs and choices. I remember the Dev Blog, where they specif said, that they plan to have each group have physical, rhetoric and observation attributes. Just some more then others. High Psych may give you an advantage in dialogs, but you are missing a lot of physical attributes, like fighting power, be able to physical notice stuff, intimation, intuition and being sneaky. Also your "guts felling" is a bad influence, so you know, that you should properly do the opposite of what it is suggesting (if you want to be a nice guy).

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any point where the game forces me to go to sleep, and if so what happens if I just collapse on the streets?

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I've put about 5 hours into it (restarted once) and I'm just not really feeling it ATM.
The writing is good and what voice acting is there is generally well done but the plot hasn't hooked me in any way and movement is so goddamned slow and to the point that I'll see something on the other side of the screen and I'm like fuck it, I don't care enough to go look at that.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is it.. really worth it? Honestly this whole skill system is very dense to me and I can't quite wrap my head around it.

I feel like winging it is the intended strategy for levelling, given that failure is often as interesting as success. Thoughts can provide skill-cap increases and situational buffs when internalised, but you won't know what you'll get till they're complete (unless someone has already written up a guide). If you'd rather dump your skill points into your actual skills you can do that too, but you won't be able to try out new Thoughts without spending skill points to dump your current ones.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
My only real disappointment right now is the lack of reactions towards a cop walking around in shoes, underwear, and a necktie

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
finally traded in my RCM slicker for the pinball maker's trenchcoat! i feel a little less like a pure hobocop now (seriously, *that* poncho, with the bum hat, while carrying arounda plastic bag full of empty bottles?). maybe more like someone's weird grandpa.

adoring this game. cant even find the right words. some genuine moments of deductive delight and revelation, many a laugh, occasionally a jerked tear. very seriously considered taking my laptop to work with me today during my 13 hour shift.

Whoa, the reception hit us like a freight train at launch. Super glad that everybody is having fun!

Just a reminder that if you've got bugs, we've got squashers. Please submit everything here:

congratulations, for real! ive been following this game a long time, but i know how much longer its been cooking in all your brains and if its just so gratifying seeing it stick the landing for myself, i hope y'all are reveling in the well-earned praise.

ps while i have you here: the skill system is exquisite and full of harmony and i cant help but think about how well it would translate into a TTRPG ruleset/system. something like this in mind down the road, or am i putting my cop before the kineema?

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it.. really worth it? Honestly this whole skill system is very dense to me and I can't quite wrap my head around it.
For the moment I have spent all my skillpoints to unlock new thoughts slots. They're like equipment slots, the more you have the more potentially powerful I'll be if I find new good thoughts? Especially since you need several hours to "equip" them. Also, I don't want to be forced to chose between two I really want but I only have one slot: I didn't expect that if you use a skill point to unequip a skill, it's gone forever and you cannot equip it again.

I just finished day 1 and I think I've done some huge progress. The only weird thing was that midway through, I did something skillfull that prompted a appreciative response from Kim... and then before I knew it I started playing like the game was a dating sim and I don't want to disappoint him. I'm going to get clean and go back to being a good efficient cop! Look at me Kim-senpai!
My 6-point Electrochemistry is NOT HAPPY.
I'm still intimately sure I'm actually a superstar and not a cop, though. It only costs me 1 point of logic to keep in my mind. A small price to pay for superstardom!

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
What do "coptypes" do exactly? I got "sorry cop" and it doesn't sound too exciting lol.

Also anyone else having their inventory get an orange circle by it (like you have something new in it) but nothing in it? seems to be happening after I talk to people even if I don't get an item or anything.

Last edited:

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
That's too bad it's not available on console as I would have totally bought this. It looks really good.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Whoa, the reception hit us like a freight train at launch. Super glad that everybody is having fun!

Just a reminder that if you've got bugs, we've got squashers. Please submit everything here:

Where should we go for general technical feedback? It's been brought up a couple of times in the thread already, but moving/looking around/interacting with stuff could be snappier and something as simple as adding an "always run" option and maybe separating interacting/moving to LMB/RMB would already go a long way.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Just decided to pick up the game. Not sure when I'll be able to play it with traveling and NaNoWriMo coming up. But I'm definitely going to dig in by December. Maybe a few patches will be out by then as well.

Sep 21, 2019
I've put about 5 hours into it (restarted once) and I'm just not really feeling it ATM.
The writing is good and what voice acting is there is generally well done but the plot hasn't hooked me in any way and movement is so goddamned slow and to the point that I'll see something on the other side of the screen and I'm like fuck it, I don't care enough to go look at that.

Are you double clicking to run? Space to stop running. The walk is slow, but running is pretty fast.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Man, I really wish there's a WASD movement option, or at least let us click and hold to move. Always clicking on the edge of the screen when exploring is not fun at all (yes, I know you can double click, but still).

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, I feel as though I'm stuck on Day 4/5+

I've interacted with everything I can all the way up the coast, but I can't get access to the Feld Electrical Building, and I've already failed the physical checks to get into the ice cream machine and the secret areas in the Whirling, and I'm unable to put more points into Physical Instrument to unlock the checks. I got the key to the whistleblower's door from Evrart, but the actual door still shows a white interaction. I also believeI should have completed the quest to discuss reality with Joyce, but it's still there.

I have no idea what to do.

Emko

Oct 3, 2018
Slovakia
Also anyone else having their inventory get an orange circle by it (like you have something new in it) but nothing in it? seems to be happening after I talk to people even if I don't get an item or anything.
I think this has to do with collecting "garbage" in to the yellow bag. You can check it's contents on the inventory screen.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be a pretty weak part of the game - usually there are several solutions (or "solutions") to a problem, but here it seems like there's no way forward without that skill check.
You get the bullet trace skill check after being inside the electricity building.
I don't think so because
The base % is at 3%, and I can only put 2 points in shivers + 1 from clothing. I put 1 via clothing and 1 in skills and it was still at 3% and I failed the check.

I think I may have to do the quest about rave kids, though I told them to stop making speed and only focus on making music club.

The thing is, I'm not sure what I'm experiencing is a bug or if it's intentional as the game is not behaving how it usually does in this part of the story.

mikkraisk

Jun 20, 2018
congratulations, for real! ive been following this game a long time, but i know how much longer its been cooking in all your brains and if its just so gratifying seeing it stick the landing for myself, i hope y'all are reveling in the well-earned praise.

ps while i have you here: the skill system is exquisite and full of harmony and i cant help but think about how well it would translate into a TTRPG ruleset/system. something like this in mind down the road, or am i putting my cop before the kineema?

Where should we go for general technical feedback? It's been brought up a couple of times in the thread already, but moving/looking around/interacting with stuff could be snappier and something as simple as adding an "always run" option and maybe separating interacting/moving to LMB/RMB would already go a long way.

Thanks! Well, basically the very same bug report is good for technical feedback, although we're already working on "always run", colour blindness mode, photosensitity mode, and other quality of life improvements. To be honest, we haven't event celebrated the launch yet, just been squashing bugs nonstop. But we will, soon.

Also our Discord is a good place to keep an eye on things and chat with us.

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
Day 2 here and I hit a time wall hahaha, I already talked to everyone in town, and my only option is to
talk to the tall guy guarding the doors for the harbor, but since I don't want to punch him and fail, I have to internalize his racist teaching so he can let me push the freaking button lmao, that's 2 hours of wait, and I can't go to sleep because it's 12am, I will have to wait 🤷🏻‍♂️

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! Well, basically the very same bug report is good for technical feedback, although we're already working on "always run", colour blindness mode, photosensitity mode, and other quality of life improvements. To be honest, we haven't event celebrated the launch yet, just been squashing bugs nonstop. But we will, soon.

Awesome, great to hear you're already working on QOL stuff. Congrats on the successful launch! Don't take cues from the Superstar Disco Cop when you do get to celebrate.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Those are some quick responses to QoL features. Props.

Only thing I can really think to add is WASD camera movement.

Other than that this game is a monumental achievement.

Don't wanna put the cart before the horse, but I can already tell this just might be my personal GOTY.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
the one good thing about being a fat piece of crap is that my playtime with ring fit adventure will naturally be capped at about 30 minutes a night, thus meaning more time to step into the (obviously smelly) shoes of Mr. [NAME REDACTED], the commie-racist pining for his peach-scented lost love.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
the only issue I have are the several areas that only exist to get to a different spot in the world make you go through two loading screens, like getting to where your cloak is or that little room in between the hotel upstairs and the roof

Status
Not open for further replies.