• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Bethesda is planning to make "next-gen" patches for all their games but this is BC so far

bethesda.net

Bethesda Next-Gen Console Upgrades

The Elder Scrolls Online and DOOM Eternal are coming to Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5!
That's not what that says.

It says they will offer free upgrades for games they choose to bring forward.
That does not mean every single PS4 and Xbox One release.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
jK6AbQ5EYq1Vxe3OnLISVK7x.jpg
Bruh... I bought Psychonauts 2 for PS4 on Fig.... I really hope I'm not screwed.

Oct 25, 2017
Well hope not too many games are effected by this, I assume we'll eventually know the reason? You would think there would be a fix / exception Sony / the devs could make.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Probably too many changes for saves to carry over ? Kinda like Larian and Divinity Original Sin 2 and the definitive edition the save file were not compatible even on PC.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
User Warned - Lazy Dev Rhetoric
yeah, I wonder if we'll ever find out the specifics why games like Dirt 5, Man-eater, and Yakuza 7 can't yet others like Avengers & Spidey: Miles can

my best guess is that thanks to Smart Delivery it's easier to do on Xbox?
Yeah, but it's not like there's no possibility of transfering save, it's just that some devs won't. I wonder why... Is it too much trouble or something enforced by MS?

I don't think cross- save is something Smart Delivery fixed, but rather enforced. I don't want to call Codemasters lazy devs here, but until they clarify on why they can't do cross save and other studios can, it's the occam's razor working for me.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Years of doing BC and building up a system to handle these types of things is really going to benefit Xbox as we roll into next-gen.

PS5 is going to have a lot of kinks to sort out I think.

I think the issue is Sony has done no work to expediate this process and the developer has to do that work. Some will, some won't
All this stuff is handled on a system level by Xbox.

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
This really matters for ps4 games people wanted to beat that weren't multiplayer focused on ps5 tbh. Stuff like destiny and avengers should be fine. This is a problem but not really if that game is cross generation. This sucks for people who can't get a ps5 on release date and don't want to to wait to okay stuff like cyberpunk.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
PS5 is going to have a lot of kinks to sort out I think.

not only that, there is something of a very bad aftertaste to the whole PS5 rollout so far.

all of these points are legitimate bummers on hand and hard facts:
  • no Dualshock 4 support for PS5 games but some of these games also exist on PS4 where you can use the DS4
  • games which were thought to be PS5 exclusives suddenly also on PS4.
  • the only real first party launch exclusives are Demon´s Souls and Destruction All Stars. one of those is a remake of a 10 year old game.
  • Spider-Man remastered only available in the Miles Morales Ultimate Edition
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy was 39,99€. Miles Morales is 59,99€ officially. this is 20€ more.
  • price hiking first party games to 79,99€ (in the case of MM, the hike is even greater)
  • months of silence only to announce a first party price hike in the moment pre orders go live so that people are distracted when the bad news drop
  • PS4 saves are in many cases not compatible to PS5 versions of this game, no "leave PS4 and play further where you left off on PS5"
  • charging 79,99€ for Destruction All Stars, an arena car combat game featuring MTX
without any information so far:
  • are really all headsets compatible with this 3D audio feature? advertisement of Spider-Man talks of "compatible headsets"
  • are save files for normal PS4 BC games at least compatible with PS5?
  • are really 99% of all PS4 games BC compatible and playable day one on the PS5?
  • is there a feature like quick resume?
  • how loud is the console when running some beefy game? what is the cooling solution, just a big fan again? can people expect some fan lottery again where some are louder than others?
i will say it again, if this console is a success it is not because of the new team in charge, it is because of amassed goodwill from the PS4 gen.

where is this any different than the start of the PS3 gen other than the pure console price which is substituted by the hiked game prices in the case of the PS5?

Sony is acting like "we are on top, we are selling anyways" while stumbling into the next gen and there seems to be no coherent future vision for the ecosystem or the "generations" approach.

how can someone talk of "there should be things only available on next gen" which were more or less Jim Ryans words and deliver a whooping 2 next gen only games? why are everything else sequels? Spider-Man spinoff, God of War 2, Horizon 2, Ratchet and Clank.

other than Destruction All Stars there is only one new first party IP, Returnal, which isn´t ready for launch.

call me pessimistic but i can´t shake the feeling that there were many bad decisions made behind the scenes and Sony forgot where gaming is heading in the future.

it all seems overly backwards and seems in many aspects like Nintendo of all things and so far it all smells exactly like the start of the 7th gen.

i for one, am concerned about the PS5 at this point and i have an extensive games library on my PS4 and do not have anything against Sony in general, i am there since the japan release of the PS1.

Last edited:

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
This feels very much like one of those Sony issues we've had before that is tied to some weird choice they made generations ago and never sorted the backend of it. We know they've been doing a lot of backend stuff in recent years to sort out their PSN stuff, trophy syncing, not being able to change names etc. that they eventually had to sort out.

I don't know if this is a reductive way of looking at it, but they're all problems with poorly architected data models.

With PSN usernames it sounded like each chosen username was the database key rather than a user id that had a changeable name attached.

Here it sounds like each SKU container for a game might have its own ID rather than there being a collection that SKUs being to.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
no Dualshock 4 support for PS5 games but some of these games also exist on PS4 where you can use the DS4

I understand why people don't like this, but it's important. In order to get developers to want to actually fully support the dualsense controller and its features, you can't allow that option. Because then customers will go for the cheaper DS4 for any replacements as well, or use their old DS4s. This is why the PS5 can't support hard drives for PS5 games. If they did, developers would be less likely to develop games that take full advantage of the PS5 SSD, even though yes there are some cross gen games that can use hard drives on the PS4 coming up soon.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Unbelievable. This was the one game I was definitely going to want to transfer.

I don't know if this is a reductive way of looking at it, but they're all problems with poorly architected data models.

With PSN usernames it sounded like each chosen username was the database key rather than a user id that had a changeable name attached.

Here it sounds like each SKU container for a game might have its own ID rather than there being a collection that SKUs being to.

Haha, that PSN usernames primary key thing was truly a WTF decision.

Here though, I wouldn't attribute it to have much to do with data architecture. There is no reason a general software solution could not be implemented to at the very least convert PS4 saves to PS5 saves, if not adapt them. Especially for such new games that are built on the new (post PS3) PSN. But in order for such a general dev utility to be developed, there would have to be a business policy around compatibility of saves to motivate the development. Something Microsoft has, clearly, but that Sony didn't consider important (for whatever feckless reason).

Last edited:

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
I understand why people don't like this, but it's important. In order to get developers to want to actually fully support the dualsense controller and its features, you can't allow that option. Because then customers will go for the cheaper DS4 for any replacements as well, or use their old DS4s. This is why the PS5 can't support hard drives for PS5 games. If they did, developers would be less likely to develop games that take full advantage of the PS5 SSD, even though yes there are some cross gen games that can use hard drives on the PS4 coming up soon.

It would have been a fine option for developers to use if they wanted. Especially for local multiplayer. Sony are doing it because they don't want to give up accessory sales.

Using the DualSense features can still be ignored regardless. Like they often are on Switch.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It would have been a fine option for developers to use if they wanted. Especially for local multiplayer. Sony are doing it because they don't want to give up accessory sales.

Using the DualSense features can still be ignored regardless. Like they often are on Switch.

I realize this, but I think it would be dead in the water otherwise.

Notice that the exact same thing is happening with SSDs for the same reason, and yet Sony makes no money off of aftermarket SSDs. So no, I don't think "accessory" sales are the main reason here.

Yes companies can right now make games that don't really use SSDs for anything revolutionary, and probably will, but this gives developers more incentive to. Note that during a Spider-man GDC talk, Insomniac noted how constrained their design was not just by the PS4's hard drive, but potentially slower drives which they had to take into account. If that hadn't been a consumer option, they wouldn't have had to account for it, and could have more effectively optimized to the PS4's base hard drive.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Bruh... I bought Psychonauts 2 for PS4 on Fig.... I really hope I'm not screwed.
Why would you be..? What platform do you have it for?

Yeah, but it's not like there's no possibility of transfering save, it's just that some devs won't. I wonder why... Is it too much trouble or something enforced by MS?

I don't think cross- save is something Smart Delivery fixed, but rather enforced. I don't want to call Codemasters lazy devs here, but until they clarify on why they can't do cross save and other studios can, it's the occam's razor working for me.
I mean, run through the list of games that have confirmed cross-save, and you'll probably see a pattern. (Ie: non-local saves handled through the game's cloud servers - not the platform's.) But if there's a full list that someone has posted, I'd love to look through and see if there are any better patterns to pick out.

I don't follow this whatsoever. Cross SAVE impacts Dualsense how? Do you need to replay the entire game to TRULY appreciate the majesty of the Adaptive Triggers and Haptic Feedback?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow this whatsoever. Cross SAVE impacts Dualsense how? Do you need to replay the entire game to TRULY appreciate the majesty of the Adaptive Triggers and Haptic Feedback?

You don't follow it because you clearly didn't follow the conversation. I was just responding to that bullet point. I'm not addressing cross save at all.

There's no reason why cross save couldn't work with this just fine. I'm just addressing why you can't use DS4 on PS5 for the PS5 version of cross gen games.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
You don't follow it because you clearly didn't follow the conversation. I was just responding to that bullet point. I'm not addressing cross save at all.

There's no reason why cross save couldn't work with this just fine. I'm just addressing why you can't use DS4 on PS5 for the PS5 version of cross gen games.
AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WON'T STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Ok, my bad. I deserve that L. *Ahem*.

I don't follow this whatsoever. Cross compatibility impacts Dualsense how? (... Sorry.) Unless every PS5 Patch features a big old "Added support for Adaptive Triggers" in their patch list because of some mandate from on high, this seems really really unnecessary. You'd think Sony would not have to be in such a rush to drive adoption of Dualsense in games that ALREADY don't require it. Wasn't that the whole point? "Designed around features"?

In this case, we're taking away accessibility solely in order to shoehorn in features that the games were never designed to support? That does seem a bit hard to justify IMO

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017

The gyro crammed into the DS3 was rarely used.

The gimmicks packed into the DS4 were barely used.

The gimmicks packed into the new controller will go largely ignored by devs.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
I realize this, but I think it would be dead in the water otherwise.

Notice that the exact same thing is happening with SSDs for the same reason, and yet Sony makes no money off of aftermarket SSDs. So no, I don't think "accessory" sales are the main reason here.

Yes companies can right now make games that don't really use SSDs for anything revolutionary, and probably will, but this gives developers more incentive to. Note that during a Spider-man GDC talk, Insomniac noted how constrained their design was not just by the PS4's hard drive, but potentially slower drives which they had to take into account. If that hadn't been a consumer option, they wouldn't have had to account for it, and could have more effectively optimized to the PS4's base hard drive.

There's a major difference between an SSD that completely changes how a game can be developed and a controller with some optional features.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Just to be clear, this is if you upgrade the PS4 version to ps5 right? If I were to put my PS4 disc in the ps5 and play that, I'd have my old save?

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
The gyro crammed into the DS3 was rarely used.

The gimmicks packed into the DS4 were barely used.

The gimmicks packed into the new controller will go largely ignored by devs.

To be honest, I haven't seen a next-generation game that DOESN'T support Dualsense's "gimmicks". Even sports games are using it.

Just to be clear, this is if you upgrade the PS4 version to ps5 right? If I were to put my PS4 disc in the ps5 and play that, I'd have my old save?

Probably, but there's no confirmation so far.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What do we think the odds are that you can unplug an external HDD of games from your PS4 and just plug it into a PS5?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I haven't seen a next-generation game that DOESN'T support Dualsense's "gimmicks". Even sports games are using it.

CoD is just using the haptics. They haven't ever said they'll be using the triggers in any meaningful way unless you're looking for next gen only titles and not a cross gen title like CoD:BO:CW.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
What do we think the odds are that you can unplug an external HDD of games from your PS4 and just plug it into a PS5?
When USB Storage support was first added to PS4, you couldn't even use the same hard drive on two different PS4s. (They changed that in 4.50 or so, so long as both consoles had the same account on it)

With this in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if you could not transfer the HDD.

hechicero

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
TEXAS
PS2 was the same way greatest hits version saves didn't work with initial release because saves are attached to game codes (SLUS_xxxx)

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
CoD is just using the haptics. They haven't ever said they'll be using the triggers in any meaningful way unless you're looking for next gen only titles and not a cross gen title like CoD:BO:CW.

A dev confirmed here on the forum

charlieintel.com

Black Ops Cold War will support Adaptive Triggers feature on PS5 DualSense - Charlie INTEL

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War was officially announced earlier this week for a launch on November 13 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC. The company also

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
not only that, there is something of a very bad aftertaste to the whole PS5 rollout so far.

all of these points are legitimate bummers on hand and hard facts:
  • no Dualshock 4 support for PS5 games but some of these games also exist on PS4 where you can use the DS4
  • games which were thought to be PS5 exclusives suddenly also on PS4.
  • the only real first party launch exclusives are Demon´s Souls and Destruction All Stars. one of those is a remake of a 10 year old game.
  • Spider-Man remastered only available in the Miles Morales Ultimate Edition
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy was 39,99€. Miles Morales is 59,99€ officially. this is 20€ more.
  • price hiking first party games to 79,99€ (in the case of MM, the hike is even greater)
  • months of silence only to announce a first party price hike in the moment pre orders go live so that people are distracted when the bad news drop
  • PS4 saves are in many cases not compatible to PS5 versions of this game, no "leave PS4 and play further where you left off on PS5"
  • charging 79,99€ for Destruction All Stars, an arena car combat game featuring MTX
without any information so far:
  • are really all headsets compatible with this 3D audio feature? advertisement of Spider-Man talks of "compatible headsets"
  • are save files for normal PS4 BC games at least compatible with PS5?
  • are really 99% of all PS4 games BC compatible and playable day one on the PS5?
  • is there a feature like quick resume?
  • how loud is the console when running some beefy game? what is the cooling solution, just a big fan again? can people expect some fan lottery again where some are louder than others?
i will say it again, if this console is a success it is not because of the new team in charge, it is because of amassed goodwill from the PS4 gen.

where is this any different than the start of the PS3 gen other than the pure console price which is substituted by the hiked game prices in the case of the PS5?

Sony is acting like "we are on top, we are selling anyways" while stumbling into the next gen and there seems to be no coherent future vision for the ecosystem or the "generations" approach.

how can someone talk of "there should be things only available on next gen" which were more or less Jim Ryans words and deliver a whooping 2 next gen only games? why are everything else sequels? Spider-Man spinoff, God of War 2, Horizon 2, Ratchet and Clank.

other than Destruction All Stars there is only one new first party IP, Returnal, which isn´t ready for launch.

call me pessimistic but i can´t shake the feeling that there were many bad decisions made behind the scenes and Sony forgot where gaming is heading in the future.

it all seems overly backwards and seems in many aspects like Nintendo of all things and so far it all smells exactly like the start of the 7th gen.

i for one, am concerned about the PS5 at this point and i have an extensive games library on my PS4 and do not have anything against Sony in general, i am there since the japan release of the PS1.
...and the console looks terrible.

SirNick

Aug 26, 2020
This will be really, reaaaaally bad for Sony if not all the games that release or have released close to next-gen launch and people are still actively playing when making the jump will carry over progress.
SMH how can you drop the ball so hard on that???
Bruh...

Yeah I agree. I hope Cyberpunk 2077 transfers over. Not sure if it's already been confirmed.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will not happen with cyberpunk. They literally let you transfer saves between steam and switch with the Witcher 3. They have a cross platform solution.
Not really, in The Witcher 3 Switch Edition you connect to Steam to download your own Steam saves that are in the cloud, you don't go through CDPR servers, it's Switch to Steam directly, and only that way (you can upload to Steam from the Switch, but Steam can't access a save that is on the Switch and not uploaded to Steam).

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you be..? What platform do you have it for
Psychonauts 2 was originally crowdsourced via Fig.com, way before the Xbox acquisition & I chose the PS4 as my platform of choice. But now that Double Fine is part of Xbox Game Studios, not only is there not a guarantee of a PS5 version, there's no guarantee that if that PS5 version gets made, that cross-save will be available from PS4 to PS5.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's not a massive thing but i can already see the posts of people going out to buy Yakuza or DiRT 5 for their PS4 because they couldn't get a preorder for the PS5, then get a PS5 early next year, get the free upgrade think everything is sweet because they just put in MIles Morales and that picked up where they left off, but then they load up those two games and get told to start a new game.

It is poor from Sony and the fact we now need title by title confirmation is just silly.