• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
For the record I'm really hoping they will be able to utilize the speed as it will probably make my investment in a nvme drive for my pc more useful than right now when it's loading games about as fast as a sata ssd.
PC games were hold back by PS4 and Xbox One consoles and their stone age I/O software. Which will change with DirectStorage and RTX I/O. So don't worry, you see the similar benefits as Xbox Series X|S and PS5.
I mean so far aren't the multiplat games we know of with announced modes on PS5/Series X identical so far? Like AC Valhalla and such. I know this is crossgen though.
We haven't had any comparison yet.
I think his point is being misconstrued.

It's less about how close they'll be in the final output and more about how both consoles are already so powerful that there's no painful optimization work to be done to get a game to work on both consoles.
Spot on.
Optimisation and final output are pretty much the only things he's talking about
Except he didn't mention graphics at all. He said from a development and gameplay perspective it's a non issue.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't tell anyone, but this is why I haven't preordered any third-party games and am waiting for DF comparisons. SHHHHH.

I don't think it's 100% a given that Series X will outperform the PS5 as handily as the One X did the Pro, and I'm expecting things to be a bit more competitive game to game.

I'm in exactly the same boat lol. I haven't decided on versions of (non Game Pass) multiplatform games yet despite having both consoles pre-ordered.

It might end up being the case that differences between versions are minor enough that it's instead things like UI, quality of life options, features, controller preference etc that end up being the deciding factor.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a bit weird to phrase it as the PS5 being in the "middle" of the Series S and Series X even if that's technically true. The PS5 and Series X gap isn't anywhere near what we saw with, say, the Xbox One and the PS4. Hell, I don't even think the gap is as wide as the Xbox One X and the PS4 Pro.

I think concerns over the PS5's power are largely unsubstantiated based on what we know so far. The Resident Evil 8 report certainly didn't help matters despite the fact that we haven't really heard anything similar coming from developers working on other multiplatform games.
I think it makes total sense to position the PS5 in the middle, given his argument. The games they make already have to scale all the way down to the XSS so it has no significant development impact to scale on anything in between. Where it is in between is not important.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Edit 2: Most studios, especially third-party studios, will not be pushing the consoles that hard in their release titles. That includes Codemasters.
This will be due to a mix of reasons relating to time, hardware access (it typically takes over two years to make a game) , the fact that a game like Dirt 5 has to work on a potato and maintaining parity between different console versions of the game. That's why I think this quote is useless and says absolutely nothing about the power differences between the two next gen consoles.
And to those who are acting like they know their shit and other smartasses, we'll see in 2-3 years. In the meantime, try to work on those social skills.
Ok but my reply you never responded to still applies even after your third attempt to rescue your hot take.
Except that's clearly not what they're talking about, as evident by the thread title, the quote in OP, and the article.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in exactly the same boat lol. I haven't decided on versions of (non Game Pass) multiplatform games yet despite having both consoles pre-ordered.

It might end up being the case that differences between versions are minor enough that it's instead things like UI, quality of life options, features, controller preference etc that end up being the deciding factor.
same, cancelled my preorders till DF weighs in unless its a difference of frames/resolution, itll come down to controller features/SSD in favor of PS5 for me personally

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I still can't preorder the PS5 version at Best Buy. :/

It doesn't exist at Best Buy's site. Worse case scenario I might the PS4 version. (Free upgrade)

Joo

May 25, 2018
Except he didn't mention graphics at all. He said from a development and gameplay perspective it's a non issue.
Yep, he doesn't specifically say it. This is what precedes the comment:
In the next-gen race, while the PS5 boasts its blazingly fast SSD, the Xbox Series X touts other advantages, chief among them being its GPU, which at 12 teraflops, outmatches the PS5's 10.28 teraflops of GPU power, at least as far as pure numbers are concerned.

The question, of course, is if this will end up making any difference from a development perspective- for instance, will developers exclusively working on the Xbox Series X be able to do more with the GPU that multiplatform devs, who also have to work with the PS5's specs?
If from this he comes to a conclusion that XSX just needs slightly less optimisation and the difference in Tflops will be irrelevant, it's quite a bizarre comment if he meant to exclude graphics from this just because he didn't specifically mention them.

As the actual specs also support the conclusion that the differences will be insignificant and smaller than ever, at least I can't come to any other conclusion.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
As the actual specs also support the conclusion that the differences will be insignificant and smaller than ever, at least I can't come to any other conclusion
I don't come to a different conclusion either. However I am not a friend of interpreting something into a quote, when he never talked about graphics to begin with.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This is good news all-around, and what we'd expect based on previous interviews. Similar architecture makes it easier to take advantage of differences in power. This gen is probably easier than it's ever been in the past, even accounting for the number of variants in console hardware. Considering this dev said how (relatively) simple even the differences between Series S and X has been for them, the differences involved with the PS5 version shouldn't exactly be "pulling teeth"; The relative performance should come through in the ways you'd expect.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Except that's clearly not what they're talking about, as evident by the thread title, the quote in OP, and the article.
When I entered the thread, the article wasn't online, it was just a teaser. Also, I was referring to "differences between the two consoles will be minimal". I think it's waaay too early to believe claims like these and of course gameplay won't differ in a multiplat game like Dirt 5. And of course one platform will require more optimization, as it is always the case. I mean, it couldn't be more obvious. What did we learn from this interview that I missed?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
"From development and gameplay perspectives, it doesn't really have an impact. When it comes to tuning, tweaking and optimizations at the end of a game, it might mean slightly less work for one platform."
I'm confused. Isn't the second part a direct impact of the differences on development?

Also if you put it this way then there's no impact - because you've chosen to perform tweaking and optimization on one platform only while another will do fine due to it being a bit more powerful. You could've chosen to do tweaking and optimization on both which would resulted in one platform running with a slightly better IQ/fps which would've been an impact from gameplay perspective too.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Obviously. The gap is not such that it would require any significant additional work while optimising for one platform.
He's talking development impact, that was always going to be negligible.
Consumer side too, differences will be pretty hard to spot, I'm guessing.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I don't come to a different conclusion either. However I am not a friend of interpreting something into a quote, when he never talked about graphics to begin with.
Yeah me neither, and thanks that you pointed it out. I didn't specifically say anything about graphics in my original comment, but it also can't be completely left out of the conversation when someone says that Tflops difference is basically irrelevant between the consoles.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
When I entered the thread, the article wasn't online, it was just a teaser. Also, I was referring to "differences between the two consoles will be minimal". I think it's waaay too early to believe claims like these and of course gameplay won't differ in a multiplat game like Dirt 5. And of course one platform will require more optimization, as it is always the case. I mean, it couldn't be more obvious. What did we learn from this interview that I missed?
They're talking about differences in development time and gameplay. That's it. As you said earlier, what you're looking for is a thing for Digital Foundry, and wasn't what the developers were talking about.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
He's literally saying that there's slightly less work to be done with XSX's optimisation, but the actual difference will end up being irrelevant.

Optimisation and final output are pretty much the only things he's talking about. While what you say about painful optimisation is probably true, there's nothing in the comment about optimisation work going away or being less painful.

There's also nothing in the comments about the gap being irrelevant, if we're going to strive for accuracy here.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
They're talking about differences in development time and gameplay. That's it. As you said earlier, what you're looking for is a thing for Digital Foundry, and wasn't what the developers were talking about.
I know and I don't think it applies for this game. This quote is worthless for now, there will be differences in dev time for multiplatform games in the coming years.
You can save this thread and quote me later. Obviously, from a gameplay perspective, there won't be any difference for multiplatform games.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah me neither, and thanks that you pointed it out. I didn't specifically say anything about graphics in my original comment, but it also can't be completely left out of the conversation when someone says that Tflops difference is basically irrelevant between the consoles.

From a development standpoint. Has nothing to do with graphics. The Dirt devs also said the same about Series S despite the graphics being tweaked for that console, because he isn't (and wasn't) talking about graphics.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah this means nothing. Let's wait until games actually start taking advantage of the new consoles.

Joo

May 25, 2018
For the record I'm buying Dirt 5 on PS5 and expect it to look/run basically identical to the XSX version (along with other games). There's just nothing here that explicitly says that.
It's just kinda hard for me to utterly leave graphics out of the conversation with this context, but you're right.

And yeah, it's not like I personally care whether there's a difference or not. This is just for the sake of discussion.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
You stated this:

"From a development standpoint. Has nothing to do with graphics. "

You made the statement. Not dragging you into anything. Except that statement is ludicrous.

If you couldn't infer what I meant through context then I don't know what to tell you. This game of semantics is pointless. You won whatever this was.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Goes with what Matt and other insiders have been saying for months.

PS5 and Series X are two great machines and it should be left at that.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
They said the same about Series S and that's a bigger gap, so why would PS5 be any different?
That's what I was thinking haha. Codemasters is going all the way low with PC too, so they clearly built with scalability in mind. And it certainly helps that the two (all four, actually) machines have very similar CPUs (similar in all the ways).

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
If you couldn't infer what I meant through context then I don't know what to tell you. This game of semantics is pointless. You won whatever this was.
Your inference was development means everything except graphical APIs, which is what is nonsensical. For example, it means game logic, physics, network coding et al, but somehow means nothing to do with graphics when the interviewer led with GPU differences.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Goes with what Matt and other insiders have been saying for months.

PS5 and Series X are two great machines and it should be left at that.

Yeah it's a bit pathetic that people are desperate for there to be some gigantic difference between the two.

I imagine both will play and feel pretty similar and people should just get the one with the games they like the most (if they aren't getting both).