MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Update: https://dirtgame.com/dirt5/news/dirt-5-patch-notes

Further general visual and performance improvements across the board, including visual updates to the 'Prioritise Frame Rate'/120hz mode on Xbox Series X

Further FPS improvements when using Image Quality mode on Xbox One and PS4

John seems pleased:

Technical Director for Dirt 5 makes it sound like they worked to give this out before Christmas:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Oh, nice! I don't know if it was the same issue that was noted with DF, but when I was trying out the high framerate stuff it was basically inverting everything. It was... odd. Excited to check this out again.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
This is why console warriors need to chill the hell out with DF. They are bringing this stuff up hoping the devs will fix it. They are literally trying to make your game better! I feel for Dictator and Dark1x for all the shit I see on Twitter.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
No dualsense rework in this update? The stock dualsense support is very poor in my opinion. You don't really feel the road, or the car honestly, the only thing you feel is gear shifting. I know they've said they're working on something.

Dirt Rally 2 on an XBOX controller feels good with the triggers there. Getting that level of quality for the Dual Sense would be a start.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
With that fix, I wonder if the performance is still as good as it was or is it improved on Series X?

OP
OP
MouldyK

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So they had to crunch right before Christmas?

Yay gaming?

Well we don't know if they had to Crunch really as it also comes with a Winter Update, which maybe they were already preparing for.

Plus, they say they still got things they held off until next year.

So i'd like to think they paced themselves and got the crucial things out first.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
So they had to crunch right before Christmas?

Yay gaming?

[Working to hit a deadline] isn't the same as [crunching], and I haven't seen any indication around this title that Codemasters Cheshire has been relying on crunch. This goes along with a scheduled update that we knew was coming as a post-launch item. I'm happy to take in new info, but being haphazard about how you throw around these terms is one of the worst things you can do to undermine people taking it seriously when accusations are made.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Well we don't know if they had to Crunch really as it also comes with a Winter Update, which maybe they were already preparing for.

Plus, they say they still got things they held off until next year.

So i'd like to think they paced themselves and got the crucial things out first.

Something so wholesome about this whole thing haha. Good job on the team for putting the work in, hope they have a good break.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't envy any developers who ship games across so many platforms and performance profiles simultaneously.

Trying to make one version of the game and ship on PC on a deadline is a challenge.
Add PS4 and Xbox One versions to the mix and you might make changes to one version that has a negative knock on to another version. Add in the PS4pro, Xbox One X, Series S, Series X and PS5 versions and you've got a lot of versions to test with every change you make. Then add in performance modes, 120fps modes and graphical/resolution modes you've got a ridiculous number of variables to confirm each mode looks and runs as they should.

I don't know how long Dirt 5 takes to play through, but I have to imagine it's not a short game.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
I don't envy any developers who ship games across so many platforms and performance profiles simultaneously.

Trying to make one version of the game and ship on PC on a deadline is a challenge.
Add PS4 and Xbox One versions to the mix and you might make changes to one version that has a negative knock on to another version. Add in the PS4pro, Xbox One X, Series S, Series X and PS5 versions and you've got a lot of versions to test with every change you make. Then add in performance modes, 120fps modes and graphical/resolution modes you've got a ridiculous number of variables to confirm each mode looks and runs as they should.

I don't know how long Dirt 5 takes to play through, but I have to imagine it's not a short game.
I was thinking the same thing, making games during a crossgen period has got to suck big time.

What makes it worse is the scarcity of the newer consoles so this will be a thing for a while. I'm really happy to see the Dirt 5 devs fix the issue though, that was cool of them to do before the holidays.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a little late for this update, but it's cool that most (all?) of the visual bugs I ran into look to have been addressed, based on the last couple sets of patch notes. My entire play-time across both Series S and Series X (about 50/50 between the Target Resolution vs. 120hz modes) was stable, so I'm appreciative of that even before these new improvements. I had uninstalled when I finished up and heard there was a new issue for people who completed all career events, but that is supposed to be resolved already.

3QsxUp0.jpg

9P0GRDG.png

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
This is exactly why DF are so important to the games industry. They have helped fix this game, DMC and Gears 5. Many others I am sure too.

They do amazing work and their efforts cannot be under estimated!

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, was the vehicle level of detail thing limited to only the Aston Martin or was it everything? I'm still in the early hours on XSX but I might come back to it soon.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
This is exactly why DF are so important to the games industry. They have helped fix this game, DMC and Gears 5. Many others I am sure too.

They do amazing work and their efforts cannot be under estimated!
Did Capcom fix DMC V on both consoles? I know it had a weird uncapped framerate thing going on for some modes but I wasn't sure if they addressed that recently.

Only other thing left is the Borderlands 3 shadows/missing foliage on Series X but hard to say if that will ever get updated parity, would be nice if Microsoft looked into it with Gearbox.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
This is why console warriors need to chill the hell out with DF. They are bringing this stuff up hoping the devs will fix it. They are literally trying to make your game better! I feel for Dictator and Dark1x for all the shit I see on Twitter.
Agree, just look at the Halo Infinite DF video and then read the recent 343 update on the game, it's crazy how accurate Dictator was with his constructive criticism on how to improve the visuals.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
The game is another good reminder that sometimes, delaying the whole thing a bit can pay off in spades big time.
Because of one graphical bug in one of four graphical modes on one of five platforms it's released on? And one that is not super obvious to the player, apart from a second long close up shots. The game is fine, bugs happen, this free updated fixed that.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Because of one graphical bug in one of four graphical modes on one of five platforms it's released on? And one that is not super obvious to the player, apart from a second long close up shots. The game is fine, bugs happen, this free updated fixed that.

No, because the game is severely broken on PS5. crashes, sometimes you don´t see the car when completing a race so you can´t progress, save files corrupted, framerate tanking and so on.

the game is just poor from a technical perspective.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
No, because the game is severely broken on PS5. crashes, sometimes you don´t see the car when completing a race so you can´t progress, save files corrupted, framerate tanking and so on.

I have not heard about any of these issues from people who played the game, and I don't recall DF having any of these issues in their videos either. Not saying these issues don't exist, just that this is the first time i'm heard about it.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Is it 60fps on base PS4? Anyone who played it can tell me if it's worth it now or if I should wait to get a PS5 someday? All I want is good framerate,i don't care about puddle reflections and pixel perfect texture filtering or whatever.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017

Wasn't the save file corruption bug fixed? My game no longer crashes to the ps5 menu at the end of a race either, which was frequent before 2.0. I've still had the game crash a couple times in the past few days but it was when I was in the menu, so nothing was really lost.

The framerate issues are definitely real, but I'm fine if they're temporary.

I've been having a fantastic time with this game these past few days regardless. For anyone on the fence, this is easily my favourite arcade racer in years. While not bug free, it's clear the dev team is working on it.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Great news: This is what happens when someone like John makes the effort to identify bugs: The developers acknowledge and fix them.

What's not helpful is the number of fans willing to deny or downplay these very real bugs for the sake of console wars.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Not going to undermine what they achieved.... but the last patch fixed a few of critical bugs on PS5 (crash and save corruption), but introduced several of performance issues on quality and resolution mode, glitches to the gamma on all modes, trophy glitches (unlock all throwdown event) and glitches to the post race credits and sponsors experience.

The most criticals are definitely the gamma settings and the performance.... some races at night are terrible... feels like everything is glowing. And the performance rocks at 20s at some points.... seriously... feels terrible.

And.... my Amplified edition is still locked behind the PS4 version.... not available for PS5.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Oh it was actually a bug? What a shocking development...

/S
I am shocked too. /S
Everyone should applaud parity between multiplats! We're not there yet, though.
No, no and No. Parity means the consoles don't get used properly. The versions will always be close, because the consoles are close. But parity is bullshit. Use PS5 and Xbox Series X as best as you can please and make use of the customization in both consoles.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Isn't there a performance mode that dials down some visuals and locks framerate to 60FPS on new consoles? In the image quality mode it's still 60 but not locked 60. That's what DF video was saying if I remember correctly.
One mode is 120fps (selectable only if you have a 120fps tv) , one favors visuals at a unstable 60fps and the other mode sticks to 4K at a unstable 60fps.

I have the game since Nov 12 and it actually ran better on launch day. It suffered from bad tearing but then they activated V-Sync and brought loads of frame drops ... Now, every new patch solves a problem and creates a new one. 2.0 still has fps problems, tearing on top of the screen, cars disappearing, frequent crashes, if you've completed the career before it landed the game freezes and you can't replay any events, a new global illumination bug was also introduced... Honestly, it's like the Cyberpunk of racers on PS5.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
I am shocked too. /SNo, no and No. Parity means the consoles don't get used properly. The versions will always be close, because the consoles are close. But parity is bullshit. Use PS5 and Xbox Series X as best as you can please and make use of the customization in both consoles.
I'm not talking about holding anything back. But that will inevitably happen. No one is going to design their games around the PS5's SSD. And I doubt anyone will go out of their way to use the Series X's slight GPU advantage in the future, and absolutely not in the way MS's 1st party studios will.

They're close enough where differences will barely be noticeable (as is the case right now). So you're damn right I want parity. Look at the fucking chaos the slight PS5 advantages caused around here. I'm sick and tired of it. Given that they're so close, I'll happily take parity over that shit. Either way, the differences will always be minor.