• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Senjuro

Oct 10, 2019
After the initial shock has passed I'm starting to think we're overreacting. Let's see if this actually gets any additional confirmation.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering the new consoles seem to be targeting 30fps again what PC CPU is going to be able to double their framerates?

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with my 3900x but I really hope NVIDIA doesn't delay their GPU line this year. I really want a 3080 or 3080ti.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
I really wished I had pulled the trigger back in April to buy instead of listening to all the "wait till May/June" recommendations. PC part stock and prices are out of control now.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
Well they've got to milk those Ryzen 3000 as they're getting more and more profitable but I hope they don't delay Navi 2X

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what...I think so.

Especially since gaming usually doesn't use a lot of CPU power anyway. I don't remember the last time I saw a game recommend a high end CPU.

And if not, PC has the advantage of scaling things down
well, a lot of those games were made for shitty tablet cpus

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately this rumor makes sense, given the matisse refresh that's seems likely to happen, plus just getting out of the way of their own graphics releases.

Oh yeah? Well don't I feel a bit silly then. This is extremely helpful, thanks!

Not at all sure, we could easily see a high-end X670 chipset to go with Zen 3. Unless I missed something, I think most people are expecting one?

Z490 has PCIe Gen 4 support with the upcoming Intel 10nm CPU

True, except Rocket Lake isn't expected on 10nm but on the same 14nm as existing Skylake-derived CPUs.

Last edited:

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
keeping my old FX I guess... Hopefully it can keep hitting at least 30 fps in cross gen AAA games till DDR5 platforms are released

I upgraded from an FX to a ryzen 2600 in 2018. I can't imagine running one now especially for AAA. You can easily justify an upgrade, I got something like 150% performance increase and that was two years ago.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Knew this would happen as soon as the rumors of the XT variants of the 3000 CPUs started popping up.

Honestly if you're building in time for Cyberpunk or next gen launch, the 3600 and 3700x are still fantastic CPUs. You aren't really missing out grabbing those.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
I'm ok with this. I was planning to upgrade in 2021 anyways because I just got a 2700x brand new in february for dirt cheap and I couldn't be happier with the performance. Will enjoy it for the rest of the year and upgrade to a 4700x in 2021.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck... So... should I just upgrade to a 3000 series? I'm still on my 2700 (not even the 2700x) and would like to upgrade...

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Have been considering upgrading my Intel Core i5 4690K, is there a specific reason I should be waiting for Ryzen 4000 or are the 3000 series okay to jump on? Like is it a particularly notable jump?

The price of the 3000 series is fantastic right now. Anything from a 3600 upwards is going to be a tremendous upgrade from your 4 core / 4 thread CPU.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mostly any modern cpu.
The GPU carries most of the weight in games.

A 3700X will double the PS5/XBSX 30fps framerates even though they themselves have 8 core / 16 thread CPU's clocked at 3.5GHz? That doesn't sound right at all.

I'm in the process of trying to build a PC that will offer next gen games at 60 but a lot of people are saying to wait.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
A 3700X will double the PS5/XBSX 30fps framerates even though they themselves have 8 core / 16 thread CPU's clocked at 3.5GHz? That doesn't sound right at all.

I'm in the process of trying to build a PC that will offer next gen games at 60 but a lot of people are saying to wait.
I'm saying focus on getting a gpu that's better than the consoles as the cpu won't make the difference, it's usually a 10% max for modern chips compared to GPUs

You can have a literal worse cpu than the next gen machines and double their framerates with a better gpu. Resolution is what matters and if you want 4K 60 wait for the 3080ti, nothing available now will give you 4K 60 in every single modern game. 1440p 60 is another story.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
Okay thanks. What GPU would you recommend, a 2080 Ti or wait for 3000 series? I already have a standard 2070.
I updated my post but it depends on the resolution you want to play at. If you want 4K 60 across the board 100% wait for 3080ti, should be out by September or October.

You should wait for the 3000 cards regardless at this point though, even if you want to play games at less than 4K resolution. The 3070-3080 will be great for 1440p high frames (well above 60) in nearly all modern games for a good while.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
So I was waiting for the Zen 3's like everyone else, but with this being a plausible announcement, I've just grabbed the 3900x ('upgrading' from a Xeon 1231 v3) since it's relatively cheap at the moment. I have a 1080ti, so I'll just grab one of the New GPUs later in the year/next year then ride out the gen until I feel like I start needing a new CPU, if the Zen 3's are a good enough leap forward.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have delayed my upgrade from Skylake for over a year, I guess I can go on for another 6 months. Will leave me more money to spend on PS5.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Upgrading in April 2021 it is
That i9 9900k keeps on trucking

Same, I have the KS, but its like.... uhh kay. Guess Ill just be upgrading a few months later than usual.

Edit: Hopefully the motherboards are great or somehow benefits from this delay. Thats the only thing Im really worried about.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
Same, I have the KS, but its like.... uhh kay. Guess Ill just be upgrading a few months later than usual.

Edit: Hopefully the motherboards are great or somehow benefits from this delay. Thats the only thing Im really worried about.
Yup same. The entire reason I want to upgrade is for pcie4 ssd speeds (the ps5 viable stuff at least) so I'm hoping there's good options out in the beginning of 2021.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I'm building a new computer either today or tomorrow. I'll be going from an i3 6100/8gb of RAM to the 3700x/32gb of RAM. Definitely looking forward to it.

Its gonna feel good man. Laugh as Chrome tries to gobble up all your RAM and fails. Muaahahaha. Best part of my jump to 32gb.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
Shit I've been wanting to ditch this 1700 for a while now but I can hold out for 6 more months.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
If true, and I'd like to hear this from AMD before believing it. It's only 4 months, that's not a crazy wait but lots of people were likely preparing PC builds for this fall.

I also want to see AMD keep moving forward, I hope they are continuing to work on newer tech or keep improving the 4000 series (4 extra months could let them eke out higher clocks speeds?). The more time they wait, the more time Intel has to catch up.

Oct 28, 2017
Damn it. Oh well, my rig is horribly GPU bottle necked, GTX 770 against an i5-6600k.

Really looking forward to the new Nvidia cards, god I hope those aren't terribly delayed.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

Yes, wait.

Wait until next gen games come out.
Look at benchmarks then.

Current games have to run on 2013 netbook processors.

Also ray tracing is going to be a big thing.
Wait until next gen Nvidia and AMD GPUs.

This is the worst time to buy a gaming PC in my opinion.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
also wonder if this gives the software side of things more time to work on stability and compatibility?

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas

Dude, forget the CPU. No game is going to be CPU bound at 30 FPS. None. Zero. You won't need double the CPU power to get 60 FPS out of a 30 FPS console game. You'll need a more powerful GPU. That's it*.

*Assuming your CPU is decent anyway. I guarantee you a 3700x will be good enough to not be a bottleneck for 60 FPS. If you want 120+ maybe you'll need something more powerful for a handful of games (Ubisoft open world).

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck does that make any sense?
It doesn't, it's mostly likely a result of the AM4 support backlash, and the delay makes the perceived support longer. It's also possible they just won't be able to hit manufacturing goals to launch or have BIOS problems, but at the end of the day it's probably not as straight forward.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck does that make any sense?

Yeh, I wonder, too. AMD is still absolutely in the fight for increased mind share. It'll be such a huge boon if they can have another year or two were they destroy Intel, especially when they even take the gaming crown.

However, I could see 1-3 months of delay just meaning they don't have to rush anything too hard and can work on BIOS stability, having plenty stock on launch and so forth.

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, forget the CPU. No game is going to be CPU bound at 30 FPS. None. Zero. You won't need double the CPU power to get 60 FPS out of a 30 FPS console game. You'll need a more powerful GPU. That's it*.

*Assuming your CPU is decent anyway. I guarantee you a 3700x will be good enough to not be a bottleneck for 60 FPS. If you want 120+ maybe you'll need something more powerful for a handful of games (Ubisoft open world).

How about a 8700k? 60fps is my goal for next gen