• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
More than a little disappointing that IO didn't tap into FP16 for PSPro.
Surely reading someone here ps4 pro it's became the shit of the shitty version of multiplat. I don't get it what exactly has of so inferior to leave the pro in the dust. Practically on X runs natively with some dips from 30 fps in the more demanding area. It seems they have increased the use of the half refreshing fps in the npc (and honestly it's one of the most annoying issue in the game imo). It runs at variable 60 fps with the same graphic assets of the Pro. It seems a proportionate jump to me. Or I'm missing something?

GNEVERD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A little off topic, but I think the "Hovis Method" doesn't get the credit it deserves. Whatever this guy did to get the X to perform like a high-end PC based off a jaguar cpu is remarkable. I googled him and ran across his linked in page. Dude is also a psychiatrist, and his professional achievements in the tech space are god-like...hella talented!

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
A little off topic, but I think the "Hovis Method" doesn't get the credit it deserves. Whatever this guy did to get the X to perform like a high-end PC based off a jaguar cpu is remarkable. I googled him and ran across his linked in page. Dude is also a psychiatrist, and his professional achievements in the tech space are god-like...hella talented!

Probably the biggest Achievement in gaming this year.

Jrs3000

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Surely reading someone here ps4 pro it's became the shit of the shitty version of multiplat. I don't get it what exactly has of so inferior to leave the pro in the dust. Practically on X runs natively with some dips from 30 fps in the more demanding area. It seems they have increased the use of the half refreshing fps in the npc (and honestly it's one of the most annoying issue in the game imo). It runs at variable 60 fps with the same graphic assets of the Pro. It seems a proportionate jump to me. Or I'm missing something?

It has a lot of upgrades but he was being sarcastic. That was bait lol. That's MilesQ for you. Good ol' miles I missed your posts

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
The delta in 1440p tests shown is exactly in line with paper-spec (up to 45% or there about). So at least in this game - they are performing as "expected" relative to one another.

It's quite a reach to default to bandwidth "explanation" considering that the delta in compute performance is just as large between the two (basically on paper - there's a 50% difference, regardless of how you spin the numbers), and the only like-for-like test here(1440p unlocked) shows that kind of delta anyway.
Chances are if the GPU-performance deltas are ever actually larger than 50% (and for this, we'd need performance-capture that isn't based off of Framerate) paper spec wouldn't explain that anyway, so it would be down to architectural differences which we have no real info about.
Thank you for your reasonable and pragmatic analysis of the actual difference about those 2 versions based about the numbers we have in those similar scenes.

I understand XBX is a new console, most people are very enthusiast about it (as they should). A lot of superlative adjectives are being used about the difference compared to the Pro version. But by the numbers here in the same 1440 mode: 25 to 50% advantage, it's just about the same difference (or even less) that PS4 has over the XB1 version in many comparisons and perfectly in accordance with the 43% GPU advantage of the XBX.

Of course the XBX version does have the 4K mode with a very stable framerate that definitely adds something that is not on the Pro version, so that makes it a very desirable version indeed. But the XBX game still has compromises (according to DF), not seen (or much less) on the Pro version, so I think it's fair to also talk about those issues.

IMO, someone should load up that Bangkok stage. There I think I saw a distance level where NPCs were popping in and out of 1/2 rate on 1x1 (a bit past the stairs in the start of the stage). Then just compare that against PS4pro in the same scene (with unlocked framerate of course).

Yep, someone definitely should. On that subject I thought those half rate animations in Bloodborne were quite noticeable, for me, and could break the immersion.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Another game I need to pick up now. I can't get over the delta between ps4 pro and Xbox one x. It's more than anyone imagined.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I don't remember seeing the distant half-rate animation on PC, I wonder if it's there. Or if they added it in the latest patch, haven't played the game since that came out. It might be a cool thing to have as an option if nothing else.

Also good music choices John.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The delta in 1440p tests shown is exactly in line with paper-spec (up to 45% or there about). So at least in this game - they are performing as "expected" relative to one another.

It's quite a reach to default to bandwidth "explanation" considering that the delta in compute performance is just as large between the two (basically on paper - there's a 50% difference, regardless of how you spin the numbers), and the only like-for-like test here(1440p unlocked) shows that kind of delta anyway.
Chances are if the GPU-performance deltas are ever actually larger than 50% (and for this, we'd need performance-capture that isn't based off of Framerate) paper spec wouldn't explain that anyway, so it would be down to architectural differences which we have no real info about.
Sadly it's not as simple as using the 1440p Hitman performance as analysis because DF say themselves in the article that the 20fps gap is limited to the fact the X is outputting at 60hz, so they don't know how much higher than 60fps it would go otherwise. So the actual gap could be more than 20fps without the enforced 60fps limit.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
If it's so simple then why are you wrong?
Is he really though?

Given the way things are turning out between MS and Sony - it certainly looks that way.
It's a fact that psvr needed a little bit more juice out of ps4. -- and oh yea - xbox one has been the laughingstock/under-powered console for the past 4 years -- so MS made sure the X1 happened..

I'd say he is more on the track of right then wrong...

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Is he really though?

Given the way things are turning out between MS and Sony - it certainly looks that way.
It's a fact that psvr needed a little bit more juice out of ps4. -- and oh yea - xbox one has been the laughingstock/under-powered console for the past 4 years -- so MS made sure the X1 happened..

I'd say he is more on the track of right then wrong...

Do you really need someone to answer you why believing a gaming company spent loads of money into R&D and made a new console just to win head to head videos is an incredibly stupid statement?

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
Do you really need someone to answer you why believing a gaming company spent loads of money into R&D and made a new console just to win head to head videos is an incredibly stupid statement?
Relax..clearly he exaggerated on the head to head videos but let's face it - MS don't ever want to give the impression of their console being weaker ever again.

Edit: i'm out. -- don't want to derail thread.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I loved the Jesper Kyd shout-out - getting him involved in the franchise again is at the top of my wishlist for season 2 (although Hitman's title theme has grown on me)

Metfanant

Oct 27, 2017
Another game I need to pick up now. I can't get over the delta between ps4 pro and Xbox one x. It's more than anyone imagined.

It's really more like exactly what should have been expected from hardware that is a year newer and $100 more expensive

I don't think it's an incredibly stupid statement AT ALL...and it's probably way closer to the truth than you would like...

I can absolutely guarantee you that MS was all sorts of angry over all the 1080p nonsense at the beginning of this generation...

They tried as hard as they could to down play it, spin it, sugar coat it, etc...but they have been chomping at the bit to lose that weaker console label since the day the PS4 launched...

The XboneX was absolutely their opportunity to do this and they did it

Edit: my concern for MS in all this however, is I think they have gone from misreading the market in one direction (tv, tv, tv, Kinect, living room, living room, living room) to a complete 180 and misreading the market in the other direction (MOAAARRR POWAAAA!!)...

I think they missed (again), that not only is power important, but that there is absolutely a sweet spot when it comes to cost...

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's an incredibly stupid statement AT ALL...and it's probably way closer to the truth than you would like....

It is a stupid statement. Wanting to have the stronger console in the market have nothing to do with "winning head to head videos". Apart from nintendo since game cube days, this is what every console maker aimed for. It's an advantage on itself, one that sony touted for as long as they could with the PS4 and Pro. Don't see you thinking they were wanting to win comparison videos as well

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is a stupid statement. Wanting to have the stronger console in the market have nothing to do with "winning head to head videos". Apart from nintendo since game cube days, this is what every console maker aimed for. It's an advantage on itself, one that sony touted for as long as they could with the PS4 and Pro. Don't see you thinking they were wanting to win comparison videos as well
This plus Microsoft made the X with the "true 4K gaming" purpose, while Sony made a more powerful PS4 to stop "enthusiasts" from switching to PC mid-gen.
Microsoft didn't make the X to win fucking Digital Foundry comparisons, 90% of its market doesn't even look at that shit. Neither did Sony make the Pro to offer a marginally improved VR experience, 90% of its market won't care for the improvements.

Metfanant

Oct 27, 2017
Member was warned for calling posters "delusional fanboys"

Of course Sony wanted to win head to head videos as well...if you think for a second that DF comparison videos are not something on the radar of the console manufacturers than you're crazy...

This plus Microsoft made the X with the "true 4K gaming" purpose, while Sony made a more powerful PS4 to stop "enthusiasts" from switching to PC mid-gen.
Microsoft didn't make the X to win fucking Digital Foundry comparisons, 90% of its market doesn't even look at that shit. Neither did Sony make the Pro to offer a marginally improved VR experience, 90% of its market won't care for the improvements.

What do you think the point of "true 4k gaming" is? So they can freaking brag about it! If DF videos were not important, then they wouldn't have bothered to do that series of videos with DF going in depth with the hardware

Marketing is all about word of mouth, if you think DF hasn't played a MASSIVE part in that the past 2 generations you're CRAZY or just a delusional fanboy...

Everyone knew the 360 dominated DF comparisons last gen...every knew the PS4 was dominating this gen...

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's impressive that the game seems to be running as well as it does considering the CPU in these things.
My Ryzen 1700X at 4GHz is dropping to the mid-50s in parts of the Marrakesh map - though that is with the game maxed-out in 21:9.
If I target 30 FPS, my GTX 1070 seems to be able to handle at least 33% more resolution (1.5x supersampling) rendering 5120x2160 without ever dropping below 30.

Is this technique present on PC?
I didn't notice it before, but it is present in the current version of the game on PC, and I don't see an option to disable it.
I haven't spent a lot of time with the game though - only three missions - and wasn't looking out for anything like that, so I may have missed it before.
IMO, someone should load up that Bangkok stage. There I think I saw a distance level where NPCs were popping in and out of 1/2 rate on 1x1 (a bit past the stairs in the start of the stage). Then just compare that against PS4pro in the same scene (with unlocked framerate of course).
The distance where it transitions to half framerate with maxed-out settings on PC seems to be 24 black floor tiles at the entrance of the Bangkok map.
hitman-simulation-disvga8r.jpg

I took that screenshot at the moment the NPC transitioned from half to full framerate animations.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm enjoying hitman....but I'm suffering from ..ah I was fucking spotted now I gotta murder everyone syndrome.....the game runs much better now than it did on my ps4 pro with the entire level trying to kill me.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IOI's crowd systems since Hitman: Blood Money have been very impressive, and have grown more impressive and natural looking with each new game.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
vram and bandwidth are probably what allow the one x to push the resolution much higher. Sony is very short sighted to think a mere 500 mb increase in vram is enough for a systems that is suppose to go pass 1080p. Should have eat the cost at launch and throw in an extra 4 gigs ram. It would have put up a much better fight now. If more games start using 4k texture like mordor 2 and tomb raider, that is even more noticable than res bump. The lost in multiplatform games sales revenue is probably much more than what they would have safe from cheaping out on the ram. Fucking cheapskate.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's really more like exactly what should have been expected from hardware that is a year newer and $100 more expensive

I don't think it's an incredibly stupid statement AT ALL...and it's probably way closer to the truth than you would like...

I can absolutely guarantee you that MS was all sorts of angry over all the 1080p nonsense at the beginning of this generation...

They tried as hard as they could to down play it, spin it, sugar coat it, etc...but they have been chomping at the bit to lose that weaker console label since the day the PS4 launched...

The XboneX was absolutely their opportunity to do this and they did it

Edit: my concern for MS in all this however, is I think they have gone from misreading the market in one direction (tv, tv, tv, Kinect, living room, living room, living room) to a complete 180 and misreading the market in the other direction (MOAAARRR POWAAAA!!)...

I think they missed (again), that not only is power important, but that there is absolutely a sweet spot when it comes to cost...

Let me elaborate, my statement was more towards the comments and posts that there is only 40 percent more gpu and ten percent cpu. That there wouldn't be much difference. There's a much bigger difference in real world benchmarks. If I could pay one hundred dollars more and buy a gpu with twice the performance I wouldn't think twice. I didn't expect this difference and many others didn't either.

You also comment about a year later and 100 dollars more and then bring up the ps3 vs the Xbox to etta. That the 360 won the most of df videos. This conflicts with the point you just made to me. Yes a year later and 100 dollar increase should offer more performance but that hasn't always been the case, and thus isn't a small increase in power. It's not a few lines of resolution it's like 100 percent performance increase in multiple games.

Backing up my point that I don't think anyone, I surely never read it, predicted this kind of performance gap

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This comparison is another highlight of the fact that current consoles aren't as CPU limited as people suggested earlier.
Considering how Hitman: Absolution ran at 30fps @ 720p with occasional minor dips on PS3/360 (which had very weak CPUs) with some of the densest scenes seen on either platform, I think it's more of a testament to IOI's crowd systems that balance immersion with performance. (Oddly enough, Absolution suffered on PC because it was a late DirectX9 title with severe draw call bottlenecking. Resident Evil 6 and Dragon's Dogma have the same problem.)