PhilouFelin

Account closed at user request.
Oct 25, 2017
There's still a chance of a patch (to patch the patch) that would iron out some of the framerate issue, like it happened for some other games. But this is Bethesda, so it would never be locked anyway.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Is the Pro pushing the same exact amount of stuff the X is?

It sounds like you should read the article, I did.

As you and I both know, the Xbox One X version of Fallout 4 sacrificed stability for improvements in resolution and image quality. As I said early on in the thread, I was hoping they would have prioritized a stable framerate, but they didn't.

What's the Pro resolution

Heh, you too?

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

As you and I both know, the Xbox One X version of Fallout 4 sacrificed stability for improvements in resolution and image quality. As I said early on in the thread, I was hoping they would have prioritized a stable framerate, but they didn't.

Heh, you too?
So then what does the 40% better hardware have to do with
Can you at least remain consistent in your argument if you're going to be snarky

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

Heh, you too?

I absolutely read it, I just think a post like yours doesn't account for that.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer the resolution scaler drop the X version down lower to maintain the 30fps lock. My 4K OLED will be just fine with that.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Pro pushing the same exact amount of stuff the X is?

I absolutely read it, I just think a post like yours doesn't account for that.

I think the real question to ask is a very subjective one.

Are you OK with the graphical upgrades if the results are an inconsistent performance, generally running at 28~27 FPS through the normal traversal and dropping to 25 and below during combat across the length of the game ?

If people are OK with more graphical bling at the cost of performance, that's completely perfect. I would be a liar if I said that there aren't a bunch of games where I don't mind frame rate drops in favor of visuals.

But we should also account for the people who are more leaning towards performance. When the Pro patch first came out, there were an equal number of people deleting the game and playing it without updating purely off of Boost mode because to them a stricter 30 FPS was more important.

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think X and Pro both need a feature to disable enhancements and run in "base" mode if the user chooses, specifically for cases like this

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Locked 30fps should be a minimum for a premium console. Pushing settings to the point where it drops constantly just makes no sense.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dynamic resolution means it changes, correct. But when it's not changing and is at the full 4k resolution it is displaying at native 4k. "native" 4k just means that it's outputting at the full resolution of 4k. When it is dropping it is not native 4k, but when it's back to 4k it's native 4k.
Because this is a misleading information. For you it may not seem important, but for me is., I'm a technology technician and that kind of information needs to be accurate to consumers. I live in Brazil and here is a land without law. Companies sell TVs here saying 'FULL HD', '4K', 'Best picture', when in fact, nothing of this is actually true. You already see the DF Project Cars 2 video tech? So, Dark1x sayed the DF guys will remake the video for showing the missing points.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017

Are you OK with the graphical upgrades if the results are an inconsistent performance, generally running at 28~27 FPS through the normal traversal and dropping to 25 and below during combat across the length of the game ?

I've noticed a narrative of exaggerating the truth from a few that want to proclaim that the X Is performing worse than it is. Nowhere do they say the frame drops are across the length of the game. These are specific sections chosen for their known historical performance.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

If people are OK with more graphical bling at the cost of performance, that's completely perfect. I would be a liar if I said that there aren't a bunch of games where I don't mind frame rate drops in favor of visuals.

But we should also account for the people who are more leaning towards performance. When the Pro patch first came out, there were an equal number of people deleting the game and playing it without updating purely off of Boost mode because to them a stricter 30 FPS was more important.

Absolutely agree with this, although this has more nuance than a lot of what's in this thread.

I also think there's a much bigger delta in what the X does better than the Pro in these instances than there is the opposite. But that's me (and math, depending on circumstances).

I've noticed a narrative of exaggerating the truth from a few that want to proclaim that the X Is performing worse than it is. Nowhere do they say the frame drops are across the length of the game. These are specific sections chosen for their known historical performance.

People hate being wrong and hate when their purchases are shit upon. It sucks, but it's why a lot of this stuff occurs.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Just stating what's in the article and shown in the video, for example:

On top of that, despite its beefier CPU, the X has similar issues to the Pro when it comes to streaming in new environment data as we traverse the wasteland with noticeable dips in performance.

Also, in the video from 8:00 onward when they're showing general world traversal, the lowest both consoles reach is 24 FPS but the XBX version is generally lower than the Pro for longer stretches. Asset streaming hitches like this will happen through out the open world. In-fact, it seems to stick to 30 FPS for less in that game play segment and mostly stays to 28~29 with lower drops every few seconds.

The Corvega factory bit they showed is a known stress point so it makes sense they chose that as well, but the streaming related hitches and drops would happen on the open world pretty often.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because this is a misleading information. For you it may not seem important, but for me is., I'm a technology technician and that kind of information needs to be accurate to consumers. I live in Brazil and here is a land without law. Companies sell TVs here saying 'FULL HD', '4K', 'Best picture', when in fact, nothing of this is actually true. You already see the DF Project Cars 2 video tech? So, Dark1x sayed the DF guys will remake the video for showing the missing points.
If they say that it is native 4k most of the time, and has a dynamic resolution, that's not misleading in any way. If you misunderstand it that's not their fault.

Yep it's in every single one of these faceoff threads. The most obvious example was Battlefront 2 where a literal 1 frame per second drop that occured like 3 times in the 10 minute video was used as "evidence" that the Pro version is better despite the X version running at twice the resolution with better everything.

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck. It's a fucking duck. That's the fucking sum and substance of it.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they say that it is native 4k most of the time, and has a dynamic resolution, that's not misleading in any way. If you misunderstand it that's not their fault.
Resolution fixed 100% of time = Native.
Resolution keep changing = Dynamic.
Don't mix 'fact' with 'term'. Can reach 4K? Right. Its Native? No if the resolution drops. Easy.
Its not about 'if you misunderstand', its about send the true information. Again if you like misleading information thats ok, but don't think people have to accept this. And yes, is their fault. Both SONY and MICROSOFT.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
6 teraflops and not even a stable 30 fps, in a game that almost looks last gen

qdRpb.gif

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
If a 60fps game drops down to 50 frames at some point(s) in its campaign is it no longer considered a 60fps game?

The game runs at its max resolution, 4K native...not CB, not upscaled, not 1440p...but 4K, majority of the time. It's a native 4k game that drops the rez sometimes the same way 60 (and 30)fps games drop frames sometimes.

Last edited:

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
As expected, much, much, much better on Xbox One X. Never played this game... so now that is affordable I think Ill give it a try.
giphy.gif

I was ~15 hours in since day 1 of release (10/2015),
I put yesterday just to test patch, started from scratch, now am 15 hours in :)
mind you, performance-wise its still a bethesda game, its no forza, but it will suck you in.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's a shame they didn't seem to test the areas that are much worse than anything they showed here. Head to the right after leaving the vault into the woodlands where there's lots of foliage and the framerate tanks and stays like that. It's not the small 2-4 FPS dips you see in the video. Though I assumed the entire game was that bad so after seeing how the rest of the game isn't too bad I feel better about the patch. Still a shame Digital Foundry didn't catch some of the worse performing areas.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Don't mix 'fact' with 'term'. Can reach 4K? Right. Its Native? No if the resolution drops. Easy.
Its not about 'if you misunderstand', its about send the true information. Again if you like misleading information thats ok, but don't think people have to accept this. And yes, is their fault. Both SONY and MICROSOFT.

I honestly don't see the big deal of saying a can can reach a native resolution. Native means a 1 to 1 pixel match to the display it's running on, it doesn't have to mean that it reaches those resolutions all the time when given the correct context. The sudden obsession with semantics is getting a bit silly.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"Native 4K" means 3840 X 2160 or whatever resolution it is these days when talking about 4k in terms of games. It doesn't matter if it drops to a different resolution sometimes. When it is outputting at that native 4k resolution it is as described - native 4k.

You are the only one trying to spread misleading information.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
"Native 4K" means 3840 X 2160 or whatever resolution it is these days when talking about 4k in terms of games. It doesn't matter if it drops to a different resolution sometimes. When it is outputting at that native 4k resolution it is as described - native 4k.

I'm gonna have to disagree there, what you're describing is "Dynamic 4K". Native would imply it's full 2160p and it stays there.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

I think it's important to clarify of the resolution is dynamic or not. I don't think that should be left out when describing a resolution.

I'm gonna have to disagree there, what you're describing is "Dynamic 4K". Native would imply it's full 2160p and it stays there.

It's an interesting conversation because by your definition, 4K CBR games can be called native =p

With the wide range of rendering techniques, I think context and details are key. That much I hope we can all agree on.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
It's an interesting conversation because by your definition, 4K CBR games can be called native =p

With the wide range of rendering techniques, I think context and details are key. That much I hope we can all agree on.

If a game is sticking to "4K" via CBR, I usually call it as such, a game rendering native 4K using CBR (eg Horizon). We've seen CB games use dynamic resolution scaling too so it's not like CBR is a sure fire way to reach and stick to a resolution either.

I use the word "native" to describe a game which is natively sticking to a resolution, for example Watch Dogs 2 is native 1800p via checker board rendering. Because it sticks to that resolution, it's not dynamically lowering it. My exact usage of the word might be off a bit.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
If a game is sticking to "4K" via CBR, I usually call it as such, a game rendering native 4K using CBR (eg Horizon). We've seen CB games use dynamic resolution scaling too so it's not like CBR is a sure fire way to reach and stick to a resolution either.

I use the word "native" to describe a game which is natively sticking to a resolution, for example Watch Dogs 2 is native 1800p via checker board rendering. Because it sticks to that resolution, it's not dynamically lowering it. My exact usage of the word might be off a bit.

To be honest, I don't think your usage is off because you apply proper context. I can see the points made about games with dynamic resolutions but at the same time I don't see a big deal between someone saying a game can scale up to a full 2160p, a game can scale up to a native 2160p, or a game can scale up to a native 2160p using CBR. In the end the reader should be able to understand the rendering technology, the upper limit of the output resolution, and that scaling involved. Of course, I'm the one who could be entirely wrong here but I don't think obsessing over it is constructive to a conversation as long as the results are easily understood.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's important to clarify of the resolution is dynamic or not. I don't think that should be left out when describing a resolution.

I would call it native 4k with dynamic resolution scaling. The target resolution is native 4k, and more often than not it will stay at 4k.

See I wouldn't call a game that use checker boarding to hit 4k "native 4k" because it's basically upscaling (yes I know how it works and how it differs). I would call it native 1440p checker boarded to 1800p for example.

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Locked 30fps should be a minimum for a premium console. Pushing settings to the point where it drops constantly just makes no sense.

This is the truth. They should drop the enhanced draw distance a touch, or the resolution. WHatever the game needs to get a more stable performance. Hopefully more patches will fix it.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
If a 60fps game drops down to 50 frames at some point(s) in its campaign is it no longer considered a 60fps game?
It is no longer considered a "locked 60fps" game, which is the framerate equivalent of "native 4K". It can still be called a 60fps game, just like a dynamic game can still be called 4K. But it's simply wrong to call variable framerates "locked", and it's wrong to call variable resolution "native".

I would call it native 4k with dynamic resolution scaling. The target resolution is native 4k, and more often than not it will stay at 4k.
Actually, there is absolutely no guarantee a dynamic 4K game hits full 3840x2160 more often than not. It may run almost constantly below that target, just like it can run almost constantly below a 60fps target. This is exactly why it's important to differentiate between native and dynamic resolutions (and ideally, provide further data about the dynamism's parameters).

See I wouldn't call a game that use checker boarding to hit 4k "native 4k" because it's basically upscaling (yes I know how it works and how it differs).
It is not "basically upscaling". That you think this distinction doesn't matter is very strong evidence that you actually don't know how CBR works.

I would call it native 1440p checker boarded to 1800p for example.
And this is proof that you don't know how it works. It is literally impossible to checkerboard 1440p to 1800p. I'd definitely suggest that you go read on the subject so that you can actually understand what's being talked about. Or I'd be happy to take a shot at an explanation myself and answer any questions you have, if you'd prefer that.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
It is no longer considered a "locked 60fps" game, which is the framerate equivalent of "native 4K". It can still be called a 60fps game, just like a dynamic game can still be called 4K. But it's simply wrong to call variable framerates "locked", and it's wrong to call variable resolution "native".

Actually, there is absolutely no guarantee a dynamic 4K game hits full 3840x2160 more often than not. It may run almost constantly below that target, just like it can run almost constantly below a 60fps target. This is exactly why it's important to differentiate between native and dynamic resolutions (and ideally, provide further data about the dynamism's parameters).

It is not "basically upscaling". That you think this distinction doesn't matter is very strong evidence that you actually don't know how CBR works.

And this is proof that you don't know how it works. It is literally impossible to checkerboard 1440p to 1800p. I'd definitely suggest that you go read on the subject so that you can actually understand what's being talked about. Or I'd be happy to take a shot at an explanation myself and answer any questions you have, if you'd prefer that.
This.

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the truth. They should drop the enhanced draw distance a touch, or the resolution. WHatever the game needs to get a more stable performance. Hopefully more patches will fix it.
Maybe the xbox devs are all riding the freesync train? Frame drops? We don't care about no stinkin frame drops!!

Anyway yes, this is a 20fps game. Forget 30.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
So what's left for PS5/Xbox Two era? 8K?
8k tvs won't be a thing(isn't even necessary when its only a 2x bump over 4k), and probably won't even be noticeable to humans. Right now we're getting adaptive or native4k resolution games at xbone-ps4 fidelity. It's better they aim for 4k native or at least adaptive 4k, while increasing graphical fidelity and performance(rock solidstable framerate.. be it 30fps or 60fps).

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
That can't happen without a CPU upgrade. They're pushing for the highest resolution possible because there is enough GPU headroom to do so.

Since when is the CPU excuse valid for 30fps as well? If you're telling me these this 500$ console doesn't have a fast enough CPU to run essentially Xbox One S games properly at 30fps then something is really fucked.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
I'd wish devs would focus more on lower resolutions and stable framerates.

Why not focus on 1620p/1800p with better framerates and/or better graphical tweaks? 1620p looks like a sweet spot to me, pushing more than twice the amount of pixels than 1080p, and go for 1800p or 4k if there's enough power left, but sacrifing framerate should never be an option.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
Saying they perform worse is disingenuous. We're talking maybe 2-3 fps in highly stressed scenes here. That's also not taking into account the better graphics/resolution/textures/LOD/etc. "game after game" isn't really true either. You can count the number on one hand, many of them have been patched to fix it (titanfall and project cars, for example), and battlefront 2 was literally 1 dropped frame like 3 times in 10 minutes of footage that people were using as evidence of the pro version being better. A single frame. It was pathetic.

Anyone not buying a console based on that was never going to buy one in the first place.
Bolded for truth
I was hoping for "more stable than the console that it outclasses by 40%", but I guess I didn't know better.
Hey, if that's what you are counting and judging here, better not forget that it does outclass the 40% inferior machine by 100% number of pixels and added details.
I mean, will all convos be like this?

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Since when is the CPU excuse valid for 30fps as well? If you're telling me these this 500$ console doesn't have a fast enough CPU to run essentially Xbox One S games properly at 30fps then something is really fucked.

That is indeed what I'm saying. As far as I know none of Bethesda's Gamebryo-based games have ever achieved a stable 30 fps on any console platform. The engine is very demanding, maybe not that well optimized either, while both the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X share the same underpowered Jaguar-based CPU that was already pretty weak when the PS4 and Xbox One launched with it.

As a rule of thumb (and quite simplistically) and until you push a specific subsystem beyond its capabilities, CPU power determines framerate and GPU power determines resolution but pairing unbalanced hardware will create exceptions to that rule. If you pair a strong CPU with a weak GPU then you'll be able to achieve 60 fps or higher framerates but at low resolutions. If you raise the resolution above the threshold that the GPU can handle then you'll have GPU-related framerate drops.

If you pair a weak CPU with a strong GPU, as is the case for the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, and unless you design your game specifically around a 60 fps target framerate, the CPU will bottleneck the GPU and the game won't be able to achieve high framerates regardless of resolution. You can see this on PC with games such as Assassin's Creed Origins, where the CPU is at 100% load and the GPU is sitting at 50% or 60% because the CPU simply can't keep up.

In such a case you have two options: you can let that power go to waste by leaving the settings and resolution intact or you can use the spare GPU power to increase the resolution and thus the GPU load until you hit the point of a GPU bottleneck. Fallout 4 needs a lot of CPU power which means that even if the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X were running at 1080p they probably still wouldn't be able to hit 60 fps or even a locked 30 fps. So the developers did the sensible thing of cranking up the resolution to take advantage of the available GPU power as best they could.

If Fallout 4 on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X is running worse compared to the original consoles then that probably means that the developers pushed the GPU a bit too hard and reached the GPU bottleneck stage. A patch could introduce more aggresive resolution scaling and sort out these drops, unless of course the developers feel that the increased clarity is preferable to smoothing out the framerate.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The argument that it's 'native 4k with drops in resolution' makes me want to cry.

That's a 4K dynamic resolution even if it manages to output at 4k for most of the time. Saying it's native 4K with drops in resolution is misusing the terms for PR reasons.

Like advertising 'True 4K' when not all the games on the system do that.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The argument that it's 'native 4k with drops in resolution' makes me want to cry.

That's a 4K dynamic resolution even if it manages to output at 4k for most of the time. Saying it's native 4K with drops in resolution is misusing the terms for PR reasons.

Like advertising 'True 4K' when not all the games on the system do that.

Both companies use "4K" incredibly loosely. I have sympathy as how else are they meant to communicate to the mass market?