• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
www.digitaltrends.com

Why Xbox Series X is Now My Go-To Console Over PS5 | Digital Trends

While the PlayStation 5 had immediate appeal, the Xbox Series X feels more and more like the best long-term choice this generation.

I think It could be true, assuming these facts:

1) 23 First-party studios. With Zenimx Xbox Will lead the FPS/RPG market on console and PC

2) xcloud Will be includes on TV, iOS, PC and mobile this year;

3) really good hardware (PS5 Is a Great too)
4) Gamepass

This year we'll probably see new studio acquisitions (my bet on ASOBO and TECHLAND) so we'll have 25 First party Studios.

I don't how many consoles Will be sold but this generation could be really good for Xbox brand

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Xbox (Game Pass) could very well be, but that doesn't mean the console named Xbox is the best long term choice though.

I agree with your 1), 2) and 3), but because of 2) you don't need to own the hardware to enjoy what Xbox has to offer and that the entire point of Spencer's strategy. That means you would be fine with a gaming PC + a PS5, or with maybe an Android TV once xCloud is available on that.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I picked up a Series S for Gamepass and 20 years of Xbox exclusives to play catch up on, as well as what looks like a solid first party line up for this gen, but I'm deep in the Sony ecosystem so will get a PS5 when they revise it so it's smaller/less ugly

Gamepass is a great deal but I still prefer to own digital games over renting them

This is the generation Microsoft finally got me to get an Xbox though, so they're doing something right

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I still can't believe, after fiasco like Anthem, Avengers or CP 2077, people are still making choices based on premises.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
As somebody who grabbed a Series X first and am getting a PS5 down the road, I disagree. The Series X is the console to have now due to GamePass, their dedication to backwards compatibility, and it being an overall better value during a time when dollars are stretched thin.

The long-term play, though, is the PS5. Because I'm always a multi-console person, my situation is different. If I was a one-console person, I would probably get a PS5. However, the reason why I'm sitting on getting one currently is because it's a long-term move. There's no immediate reason to get a PS5 in my opinion. Once the library is filled out, though, it's the console to have of the two if a line in the sand is to be drawn.

May 25, 2019
London
The tides started turning for me over the holiday break. I platinumed Spider-Man, Astro's Playroom, and Demon Souls in November and December, but spent my entire break playing Game Pass games. Really curious when Ratchet will drop as that feels like the next time I'll fire up my PS5 regularly

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Honestly, I'm as far as you can get from a Sony fanboy but I disagree. As a console, I'd rather have a PS5. The exclusives are likely to be better, and if you have a gaming-capable PC, you can play all the XBOX exclusive games on that.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
I agree they just got so many more studios on so eventually there output will be crazy.

Also even further into the future in like 15/20 years time I can see Sony no longer making hardware and just being a publisher for a streaming service, likely owned by MS.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely think the Xbox is the better choice today for "normies". Plays all the big multiplatform games in high quality, has GamePass if you want to dabble in other things for cheap.

For me as an enthusiastic gamer it still feels like PlayStation produces much better and a higher quantity of exclusive games. I actually expect that to level out though since Xbox has made acquisitions.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
People will try and derail or move this thread elsewhere but if you read the article, there's a couple of key points:

• Its the writers opinion based on their own experience (this shouldn't need to be said....but here, it kinda needs to be said)
  • This is mainly about the integrated platform behind the console, xCloud, Gamepass ultimate, cloud saves being completely cross-platform. On this point any observer should agree that MS (a software/platforms company) is outperforming their competition.
Doesn't mean the above are the most important points to everyone, but they are important points...

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm inclined to agree, but I got a PS5 at launch instead because while Xbox has a lot of potential, it seems like it's still a few years off

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
As somebody who grabbed a Series X first and am getting a PS5 down the road, I disagree. The Series X is the console to have now due to GamePass, their dedication to backwards compatibility, and it being an overall better value during a time when dollars are stretched thin.

The long-term play, though, is the PS5. Because I'm always a multi-console person, my situation is different. If I was a one-console person, I would probably get a PS5. However, the reason why I'm sitting on getting one currently is because it's a long-term move. There's no immediate reason to get a PS5 in my opinion. Once the library is filled out, though, it's the console to have of the two if a line in the sand is to be drawn.

I definitely like a number of Sony's exclusives, and will probably bite on a PS5 when there's a slimmer model and a Naughty Dog game out, but... The Bethesda acquisition totally flipped this for me. There's no accounting for taste, but the next Doom, the next Wolfenstein, the next Elder Scrolls feel much more like "can't miss" games than something like Horizon 2 or God of War does for me, personally-speaking. But again, that's coming from someone who actively disliked Horizon 1 and thought the God of War reboot was "fine."

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I would say game pass is the platform to have (via console, PC or xcloud) rather than an Xbox itself.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Sony has the games I want to play now. MS are doing great things but the premise of this article seems to work better for the next console than the XSX.

May 19, 2020
actual consumers don't seem to care about that as PS5 has become the default sought-after console compared to xbox. scalper prices for PS5 vs. series x tells you everything you need to know

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
If one has to guess then xbox is a safe one to assume but we will never know until all those studios end up releasing games which are also well received by everyone thereby making the console the best choice.

There's a certainty that nintendo sony outputs will be good this gen as they have been in the last and the one before etc. And xbox has gamepass against it and their output the last 2 years have been good. Seems like everyone is in for a good time.

May 17, 2018
This article is baffling to me.

Feels like it sums up to "Xbox Series X is the better long term choice because you don't need one."

Oct 27, 2017
The value and accessibility of the Xbox ecosystem is extraordinary. I think it's an extremely attractive package.

The PS5 just seems absolutely dominant though from a mindshare and hype perspective, and does have the more established stable of exclusive games that people like. Sony's "thing" seems to be to deliver blockbuster single player experiences that almost seem to share the same space as a blockbuster movie would in mainstream circles, and that's still something we're in a bit of a "holding pattern" with from MS until their acquisitions start delivering.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The obvious answer...

why-not-both.jpg

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I passed on the PS5 at launch and got a Series X for me and a Series S for my daughter. I was hardcore anti Microsoft at the launch of Xbox One. That is how much good Microsoft has done at least for me to be back on board. GamePass is amazing and coupled with rewards it by far offers huge value compared to the other console manufacturers. Microsoft also sends out random $5 and $10 gifts, something Sony use to do but hasn't done for years. Sony also stopped with the 20% off codes. Sony sales also don't seem to be as deep as they use to.

I'll eventually get a PS5 either during a sale or maybe if/when a slim is released, but I'm fully on board with Xbox this gen.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This generation is going to be beautifully competitive and I'm so glad I have both consoles from day one. There's so many benefits to each ecosystem.

OP
OP

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
Sony has the games I want to play now. MS are doing great things but the premise of this article seems to work better for the next console than the XSX.

This year Will be available some Great games from First party Studios or exclusives as well

Halo infinite (i know the First show has been really bad)
Forza5
Starfield
STALKER2
The medium
Flight simulator (already on PC)

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
In 2022 or 2023, I can see myself buying a HDMI stick (with Ethernet please) and use gamepass with xCloud, if the exclusives are too good to miss.

Yeah that's fair enough, same with people that will just use it on PC

I don't really care for streaming and the S was cheap enough to justify it for me.

This is the most interested I've ever been in the Xbox brand and it seems to me like they have enough studios now to be putting out at least as many big hitters as Sony each year, maybe even more. Once their acquisitions start pushing their games out in 2/3 years time it should be a non stop rollout of exclusive games

Right now on my S I'm gonna be killing time blowing through 5 Gears games, 7 Halo games, Forza Horizon and a few others from the One, along with some indies, so that and my Pro backlog will keep me busy until the PS5 gets revised

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In my opinion it's better in the short-term and the long run. There's so much to play on XSX.

I also have a PS5 but I barely play it on account of having to buy games, whereas Gamepass is throwing games at me with minimal investment.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Not really since their titles are on PC but the MS ecosystem is going to be legit this gen.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Glad to see so many people in the thread embrace the idea that they can get a PC to play Xbox games and enjoy Gamepass. Microsoft is perfectly happy with that idea too.

The obvious answer...

why-not-both.jpg

Yup. All, in my case. Switch, Series X and PS5 live under my TV.

why miss out when TVs have 4 HDMI ports these days?

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ps5 is a great choice...but people feel too insecure to let a title like that slide. I have my first Xbox ever and I agree with the article. Get both or get a PC.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
actual consumers don't seem to care about that as PS5 has become the default sought-after console compared to xbox. scalper prices for PS5 vs. series x tells you everything you need to know

I don't think the PS5 is going to do anything short of fantastic in the long-run, but it should be pointed out that at this point in the cycle last-gen, Xbox One had outsold the PS4. That was mainly due to supply, but it's worth noting that anything can happen and launch period doesn't determine the fate of the generation.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
In my opinion, Microsoft has always had the weakest library of the big 3,and i only have but so much time.

So no.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely agree.

The 360 was my main console for that gen with the PS3 being used for exclusives.

Last gen I switched to PS4 as primary because it was more powerful that the Xbox One at launch. The Xbox One didn't even have that many exclusives (Sunset Overdrive & Ryse?) compared to Sony. Then the mid gen refresh happened and of course Game Pass. I felt like I had backed the wrong horse at that point lol.

This gen, the Series X is my main and the PS5 is back to being for exclusives only. But wow, what exclusives they are! Also, my PS4 backlog is getting a significant workout on the PS5. I foresee this being my setup for the generation unless there is a significant shakeup.

Between Game Pass, VRR, and more games with 120fps (so far) I am most happy with the Series X. But honestly it is so close that Game Pass was the deciding factor. I am lucky to have both and a gaming PC. I honestly think my time is pretty evenly split between the two so far, which is awesome.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Well, it's certainly a valid opinion, but I'll wait until I see the games. For me, it's not about quantity, it's about quality.

That doesn't mean I would be surprised if Xbox Studios put out some amazing games, it's just that they need to build that trust for me, while Sony already has it. That doesn't mean they won't do it - in fact it wouldn't shock me if they did - but I'll wait before drawing any conclusions.

May 19, 2020
'why not both'

well getting my series s was actually pretty easy. that was up for 10 minutes or so. PS5? those stay up for maybe 30 fucking seconds lol

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
To me Xbox is more a complimentary service now that it's seemingly going to be an app on my TV this year, removing the requirement to spend £450 on the hardware. It's a low price entry too as I can subscribe for a month to play that odd first-party game I may be interested in.

Microsoft have managed to create a cheap way of complimenting my primary platform.

I wish it was like that in the previous generation when I bought an Xbox just to play Sunset Overdrive.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Glad to see so many people in the thread embrace the idea that they can get a PC to play Xbox games and enjoy Gamepass. Microsoft is perfectly happy with that idea too.

Yup. All, in my case. Switch, Series X and PS5 live under my TV.

why miss out when TVs have 4 HDMI ports these days?

Because they didn't warn us that we'd have to buy a new TV cabinet just for the PSV.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be getting a series X next year to compliment my PS5 and my Switch. Idk about it being the best "long term" solution (sounds like bait to me) but I do know that Microsoft has finally released a console that is compelling enough to own at the beginning of a generation.

When you have 3 great products out from 3 different competitors the only real loser is your wallet.