• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Haven't had a chance to watch yet but I'm sure this will be an informative watch 😃

Edit.

Here are the nominees and winners

Nominees:
Resident Evil 2
Devil May Cry 5
Ace Combat 7
Ion Fury
Plague's Tale Innocence
Quake 2 RTX
Control

Winner:
Alex - Metro Exodus
John - Death Stranding

Last edited:

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, the GOTY category that matters.

Funny, I am playing through Metro: Last Light right now and the graphics are amazing. Can't wait to what Metro Exodus will look like.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I can agree with both of their winner thanks for the help Chandoog, I haven't watched it yet. Good choices.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Can't disagree with John's pick. The faces are sorcery, and almost a generation ahead of Naughty Dog in my opinion

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Was really surprised with how good Death Stranding look, even playing it on just the base PS4. Playing other games, I can't help but notice that the ground looks too flat. The ground geometry in DS is something else.

Can't wait for the next Decima Engine game.

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna have to give this a watch. I think Metro and Control, with RTX enabled, are easily the most impressive games released this year. Real curious to see if DS gets a substantial upgrade next summer.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Hows metro exodus on the Pro now? I know it had issues on release both performance and aiming related. Is it fixed?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Completely agree with Alex's pick. All the honorable mentions are really impressive too.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Yea Death Stranding looks ridiculous at time. Especially when you get to Mama's place. Her introduction, and that rubble scene was just crazy. Ive never seen detail like that in a video game ever.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
How Death Stranding dynamically changes the whole open-world playscape in real-time and floods it with liquid tar and spawns buildings is immense.
Also when you 'die' to B.T's it causes an enormous void-out explosion leaving a gigantic crater in the gameworld permanently.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Completely agree with Alex. Metro looks utterly spectacular. Death Stranding would definitely be my second choice.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I've been sleeping on metro Exodus. Didn't know it was open world too!!

Off to download on gamepass PC!!! Muahahaha

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from Modern Warfare, Metro Exodus on XB1X is the only game this year that has wowed me.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Both of these really great choices. They both look amazing. DS has the best faces I've ever seen and the landscapes are so realistic. Metro is incredibly detailed and the lighting is unreal (well, very real).

GRAPHICS

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Great choices aside from Ion Fury. It may be a good game but the transphobia and homophobia of the devs really should've been mentioned.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Decima engine on PC next year would be crazy...

4k 60fps & all that jazz.

Hope Horizon 2 would have Performance/Cinematic options...

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Can't really argue with any of these choices (as much as Ion Fury getting praise irks me) on a technical level.

I'm waiting for Death Stranding on PC, but it blows me away every time I see it on DF.

My top three would be as follows:

3. Gears 5. As much as I'd love to sneak RE2 into my top three, it's hard to argue any individual effect that Gears 5 doesn't do better. Both look and run great. Both have good HDR support (I know a lot of people don't like the *art* choices in RE2's HDR implementation, but I do). It's been the year of ray tracing but the SSR in Gears (on Insane) is almost as good, and brings so much to the look of the game, that I tweaked all my settings around achieving that above all else.

2. Metro Exodus. There isn't much between my number 1 and my number 2. The RT GI in Exodus is probably the most impressive *single* use of ray tracing we've seen so far. The difference between having it on and off is often stark, and while some people may prefer the 'gamier' look in certain areas, the RT GI brings such consistent uniformity to everything that it's *fundamentally superior*. When you look at something like RE2 which has some weird effects that show up sporadically, that sort of thing pulls you out of the game whenever it happens. Metro's RT GI never looks bad or wrong in any circumstance. Some technical issues with trying to use RT, DLSS and HDR at the same time push this down to my number 2, which may seem unfair given my number 1, but which still leaves a little technical bugbear in my mind whenever I think about the game graphically.

1. Control. Yes, it doesn't have HDR and I wish it did. There were some amazing HDR implementations this year, even if we're still seeing a lot of games not even supporting it, or supporting it really badly. But what Control had, was by far the most next gen looking presentation of any game I played this year. Sure, that comes partly down to the mostly enclosed and tightly controlled environments, however, I've always loved an engine with a focus on the game it's delivering. So while Control may not have the impressive (and impressively dynamic) open environments of Death Stranding, it has amazingly detailed and destructive interiors. Control is the first game where ray tracing didn't feel like an impressive extra visual effect, and perhaps that stems from how much the engine does with it. When I look at Control's concept art, there is no doubt in my mind that the game looks closer to it with ray tracing on than with it off. With those fantastic materials, with the way ray tracing just ties everything together so much better, with how dynamic the whole game is, seeing all those physical simulations effecting the environment's visuals exactly as they should was mind blowing at times. For how big a step up in *new* visual detail (like, not new effects per se, but details in the lighting that would normally be missing that are suddenly present) the game was, even without HDR, I can't really pick anything else as my number one. Control's engine and technology perfectly serves its gameplay and its art. It's something you often get in a Remedy title, where the game design pushes the technology in specific ways (think Alan Wake with it's volumetric lighting and large open areas with lots of things that can be effected by environmental effects). It's also the best game released this year, which doesn't hurt one bit.

Special shout out to Crackdown 3. The HDR in this game is amazing. With it off, it's completely meh visually. With it on... it absolutely shines. If you've got an HDR display and haven't checked it out, you absolutely should.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Finally finished watching it, good picks all around! Had kinda hoped Days Gone might have gotten a nod though.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
My top 3 are Metro, Control and RE2.

Metro just looks incredible all around. Closed spaces, open world, characters.

RE creates this great atmosphere with it's very good animated enemies, incredible lighting and we'll designed environments. On PC with reshade, it looks crazy good.

But my favorite is Control. The dynamic environments and physics make the difference. I expect at least this kind of destruction from games, everything else feels way too static.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am holding off until I can play Metro Exodus at 6K or 8K with ray tracing GI.

I am currently going through Metro: Last Light and that is a fantastic looking game for its age.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see what DS looks like on a high powered PC. I wonder if they will be throwing in some graphical extras.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Hows metro exodus on the Pro now? I know it had issues on release both performance and aiming related. Is it fixed?
Runs just fine. Long load times. No real issues with hiccups, frame pacing, or lag. However there is still a dead zone issue when aiming. The aiming always felt off and not nearly as smooth as the previous titles. They did patch it to make it better, but it's still sluggish and not always responsive.

But it's a freaking gorgeous game with world class atmosphere and world building/environmental story telling.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Its worth mentioning John stated Gears 5 has the best HDR implementation. From what Ive heard both Metro and Death Stranding also have first class HDR as well.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
The fact the put Ion Fury in there - - so good. Finally decided to bite and purchase it. Such a good time for folks really enthused by these kinds of games. Of course all the RT delights on PC have been great. Next decade will no doubt continue to have tons of great games from all areas of the spectrum

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Great video guys! Thank you, I really appreciate how much effort and passion you put into this.

Death Stranding would be tops for me as well. I think it has the best terrain rendering of any game I've played this gen.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Days gone was robbed. how does it not even get an honorary mention?

Vm8rCDO.gif

Snow.gif

days-gone-editorial-horde-alt-two-column-01-ps4-en-20mar19_1553080007763

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Death Stranding looks incredible on my base PS4.....you PC guys are in for a treat next year,those landscapes are gonna look photorealistic.